SugarCRM Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated June 30, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Growing pains, competitive market, and low name recognition (in 9 reviews)

• The sales team works extremely hard (in 6 reviews)

"Dysfunctional Org with Lack of Culture"

Current Employee - Engineer in Cupertino, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Cupertino, CA

Pros

Free food (but lots of bay area companies offer this)
    Perfect sized company
    Flexible working schedule

Cons

The company has been making bad hires and is having a hard time retaining the good talent. The HR department is not good at recruiting and sometimes doesn't know how to pitch the company and product effectively to candidates. They also don't seem to care about the fact that the company isn't retaining talent. They spend more time planning random events that no one is interested in vs. talking to employees and helping to resolve retention and hiring issues.

The leaders here have a lack of vision on where the product needs to be and a lot of teams feel like they don't know where they are going. The PM and Eng teams aren't the strongest here, neither is Marketing. Overall, the actual product is weak...trying to play catch up with Salesforce and Microsoft Dynamics as others have stated.

Lack of career progression and no transparency on how to progress in your career here. There is no culture anymore since people are constantly leaving. Engineering team has way too many junior or inexperienced developers.

Advice to Management

Hire better....the HR department makes things hard for everyone. Leadership needs to be stronger in product org.

"Sugar is a great place to work."

I have been working at SugarCRM full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Collaborative and fun work environment. GREAT product, Solid Leadership, Strong core values, Cross functional departments are generally very supportive of each other. Company does a lot of charity type things, lunches etc. which gives people a chance to give back to their communities while at the office. Free snacks in every building at HQ and lots of lunches brought in to feed the troops. Larger company with start up feel and good opportunity to make an instant impact. You will get to wear a lot of hats and implement your own ideas which is very rewarding.

Cons

A lot of the leadership changed within the course of a year which leaves some people hesitant to join the company. Company is growing like crazy so things can get a little tight in terms of space. (but some may see this as a good problem to have.) Process and procedures are still being implemented in many departments as the company grows. Fast paced so not everyone can function under the pressure and rapid pace.

Advice to Management

Continue to have Monthly meeting with Executive staff to hear what Individual employees have to say, take those insights to heart and implement changes based on ides and input from the employees in the trenches.

"Stay away if you can"

I have been working at SugarCRM full-time

Pros

1. The free food that's available intermittently.
    2. As the name suggests there's plenty of Sugar in the office. You will never run out of sugary snacks or drinks

Cons

1. All the senior product managers have left. Most of the product managers are relatively new and the product team as a whole lacks able leadership.
    2. There is unnecessary hierarchy in the product team
    3. The product is weak. It's a glorified Sales management tool ,which is as one earlier reviewer mentioned, is playing catch up with Salesforce and Microsoft Dynamics
    4. Marketing is not in alignment with product. In fact the last I heard most of the marketing team has quit.
    5. The Talent Acquisition team does a poor job of being able to attract quality people.

Advice to Management

Product needs an overhaul. Please don't overhype new features in the product that are probably a year behind our competitors as "wow features".

Jun 8, 2016 – Manager, Talent Acquisition Programs

Thank you for your feedback, as your input is valuable to us. PCMagazine's Business Choice Award went to SugarCRM's in 2015. The external votes speaks volumes to our product. Regarding the... More

"Good place to work with potential for IPO"

Current Employee - Product Management in Cupertino, CA
    Current Employee - Product Management in Cupertino, CA

I have been working at SugarCRM full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

1- Free food and snacks
    2- Strong potential for IPO or to be acquired
    3- Good working environment
    4- Fast moving
    5- Focused on customer success

Cons

1- There has been significant change in the company in the last few years. It is unclear if people were forced out but from I can tell the new leaders are very strong and capable.

2- It is pretty clear one of their biggest issue is getting customer messaging right and having people know who they are and what they do.

Advice to Management

Keep focused on the customer and gaining ground. Improve the marketing and messaging.

Nov 17, 2015 – Manager, Talent Acquisition Programs

Thanks for your feedback. We are so happy to hear you are enjoying your employment with SugarCRM! Sugar has just gone through a high-growth, pivotal time in the companies' evolution, and with this... More

"Great Company, but Marketing is not a good place to work"

Current Employee - Marketing in Cupertino, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Cupertino, CA

I have been working at SugarCRM full-time

Pros

The company and products are good. Hiring lots of sales people and the company cares about their employees and has lots of events. CEO is good and is really trying to grow the company and that is exciting to be part of. Company has had a lot of good press lately.

Cons

The CMO is good, but the strategy is not clear. Product Marketing is not very good, so we are all making up our own messages and content for marketing programs.

Advice to Management

Marketing needs people that are experienced at marketing. I know of 4 people in marketing that are looking for new jobs.

Nov 17, 2015 – Manager, Talent Acquisition Programs

Thank you for sharing your feedback. SugarCRM's core Marketing team has expanded by 8 people in 2015, and we are rebuilding the Product Marketing team. We value your input and encourage you to... More

"Great Growing Company"

Current Employee - Program Manager in Santa Cruz, CA
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Santa Cruz, CA

I have been working at SugarCRM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Sugar is a great place to work. The people are great and even though the company is growing like crazy they still have a start-up type vibe.

Cons

Not a lot of perks. Stingy with free lunches. No 401K match and bonuses only go to VP level and above (which let's be honest, they aren't the ones that need the money), awful maternity leave.

Advice to Management

You're a successful growing company, start implementing some of the perks that other software companies provide in the bay.

Nov 10, 2015 – Manager, Talent Acquisition Programs

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. At SugarCRM we offer very competitive benefits and perks; some of the “public company” perks will come later. If possible, we hope you are... More

"Sales Engineer"

Former Employee - Senior Sales Engineer in Cupertino, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Sales Engineer in Cupertino, CA

Pros

Great people. Smart people. Excellent snacks and catered lunches. Easy informal dress code. Great telecommute policy. Friendly.

Cons

Iffy product. Uncertain management. Managing for the short term to get IPO. Lays off entire sales staff every three years.

Advice to Management

Stop the staff churn. You hire the best people. Use them.

Sep 25, 2015 – Manager, Talent Acquisition Programs

Thank you for your feedback. SugarCRM is in a high-growth , pivotal time in the companies' evolution, and with this growth comes necessary change in order to make forward momentum. Your People... More

"It's NOT as sweet as Sugar"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

Pros

Free snacks. Fresh fruits Tuesday/Thursday

Cons

Unprofessional Team Leader. Controller has very poor communication. If you are not a regular employees, you are NOT part of the team.

Advice to Management

Make sure to do your clean-up before you become public. It's embarrassing to be part of that team.

Nov 10, 2015 – Manager, Talent Acquisition Programs

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We value your opinion. Please reach out to the People & Places team to share your concerns.

"Loving life as a Suga"

I have been working at SugarCRM full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Like most places, your job is about as tolerable as your management. I've found SugarCRM a great place to work. I love the attitudes and the people- it's a happy place to be.

Cons

We're growing like crazy and it seems like it's losing some of the intimacy.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. Feed me more!

Nov 10, 2015 – Manager, Talent Acquisition Programs

Thank you for your feedback! We are happy to hear you are enjoying your employment with SugarCRM including the people you work with. We are currently working on an internal collaboration platform... More

"Sugar Is Sweet!"

Current Employee - Software QA Engineer in Cupertino, CA
    Current Employee - Software QA Engineer in Cupertino, CA

I have been working at SugarCRM full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Love working at Sugar. The company treats their employees very well, and I love how close I an my other coworkers work together.

Cons

We're not Google or Facebook so we don't have all the amenities they have. Would love to have a cafeteria, gym, and other perks.

Nov 10, 2015 – Manager, Talent Acquisition Programs

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We are happy to hear that you are "sweet on Sugar!" At SugarCRM we offer very competitive benefits and perks; some of the “public company... More