Sullivan & Cromwell Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Sullivan & Cromwell Chairman Joseph C. Shenker
Joseph C. Shenker

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Exposure to complex, high-profile litigation that gives you solid experience how to handle very demanding clients" (in 9 reviews)

• "Great company, good benefits and bonuses" (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work-life balance isn't exactly what you should be looking for here" (in 11 reviews)

• "Work long hours, nights and weekends" (in 16 reviews)

1. "Amazing"

I have been working at Sullivan & Cromwell full-time

Pros

So many benefits and no cons.

Cons

There is absolutely no cons.

2. "Hard work"

I have been working at Sullivan & Cromwell full-time

Pros

good pay, some partner support

Cons

some partners are a nightmare to work for

"Exposure to interesting cases/issues but firm culture needs to change"

Former Employee - Legal Assistant
    Former Employee - Legal Assistant

I worked at Sullivan & Cromwell full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Exposure to complex, high-profile litigation that gives you solid experience how to handle very demanding clients. The more overtime you work, the more you get paid. For an entry-level position out of college, you can make a good chunk of change if you work enough overtime.

The legal assistant position is demanding and frustrating at times, but ultimately rewarding if you make the right connections with the right people.

Cons

As a member of the "support staff" you are labeled as such in all regards. Legal assistants are a vital part of the litigation machine, but many times, the work goes completely unappreciated. Although I did have the pleasure to work with a handful of associates who were extremely nice people and great team-players, several associates and partners felt the need to remind the legal assistants that we were second-class citizens in the eyes of the firm. There were several instances of "black-out rage" moments when it came to associates who would simply yell at legal assistants because we were easy punching bags.

There were very few associates who I worked for while at the firm who confidently could say they enjoyed working there.

Advice to Management

Corporate law is a prime example of the notion that just because you went to a top law school and got good grades doesn't make you 1) a good communicator/team player 2) a decent person or 3) a good lawyer. I saw living proof of this everyday. To make quality and effective work product, you need people who are not just book smart, but people smart as well. The firm should re-think its emphasis on school name and grades as the central factor for employment.

4. "Associate"

Pros

High profile cases; a lot of helpful support staff

Cons

Extremely hierarchical and bloated organization. Associates experiences can wildly differ, but I was placed in teams where the senior associates were infamous for their demeaning and unreasonable behavior. Be prepared to work 20+ hours a day doing brutally inane tasks while being yelled at the entire time for not performing fast enough. Every other associate I know that works for the firm is unhappy. It’s a very closed door culture (literally, you walk around and most doors are closed).

5. "Intensive training with some of the best lawyers in the world, but a cold firm culture."

Current Employee - Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Sullivan & Cromwell full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Diverse and high-profile matters and good training.

Cons

Cold firm culture, high turnover, and litigation department largely consumed by internal investigations.

Advice to Management

Try to improve firm culture to include greater feedback and mentoring.

6. "Legal Assistant"

I worked at Sullivan & Cromwell full-time

Pros

Good legal assistant community; connections for future jobs as a lawyer if continuing to law school

Cons

Many unpredictable hours for less pay than other NY firms; 2 year commitment so if other Legal Assistants break their commitment, then the remainder of the work falls to remaining Legal Assistants and hours get longer; negative overall firm culture & bad attitude

7. "Nice place to work"

I worked at Sullivan & Cromwell full-time

Pros

Definitely compensation and the quality of the lawyers who work here.

Cons

Long working hours and the expectation of being available at all times of the day.

"Buyer Beware! This place is a real career killer."

I worked at Sullivan & Cromwell full-time

Pros

Some of the partners were nice to deal with. This is the exception to the rule. The normal higher-ups were few and far between.

Cons

A family-like oriented firm turned into a typical corporate environment where the support staff employees were looked upon as trash. Every once in a while they would provide an "ice cream social" to mask how bad they were reaming the little guy. Most employees (IT, finance, etc.) drank the cool-aide. IT was rocked by major outsourcing as the firm proceeded to fire staff (sold off to outside consulting firm like cattle) that had been employed in some cases for decades. Go against the grain than be sure that security will be outside your door in moments no matter how dedicated you were. Work-life balance non-existant. Favoritism in terms of working from home from group to group. No morale to speak of. Management was soleless and would sell you out at the drop of a hat. I am glad that I left eons ago. Staff that I keep in contact with after all these years after I left many long years ago were good people. Hopefully most have found new homes at respectable companies.

Advice to Management

Corporate drones all around. Support staff are people. This was something that the previous managing partner understood and for the current one is as far in reach as is the moon. Outsourced IT management were nothing but mouthpieces for the higher ups and were scared beyond belief to lose their jobs and would do anything including stabbing their own people in the back to keep receiving a paycheck. In turn they proceeded to bring in a level of fear to their staff not seen before. Real low-life mentality as bosses were seen as sleazy, souless and self-centered (not that they would care at all). Advice to management, flush IT down the toilet. You killed morale and destroyed a well run operation.

9. "Beneficial Experience"

Current Employee - Litigation Legal Assistant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Litigation Legal Assistant in New York, NY

I have been working at Sullivan & Cromwell full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Competitive pay, smart people, work on some of the top cases in the country

Cons

Poor work life balance, sometimes an isolating work experience

Advice to Management

N/A

10. "Top law firm"

I have been working at Sullivan & Cromwell full-time

Pros

Work with some of the smartest people you'll ever meet. The work is demanding, but you will get great legal training.

Cons

Work long hours, nights and weekends.