Sullivan & Cromwell Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Sullivan & Cromwell Chairman Joseph C. Shenker
Joseph C. Shenker

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Diverse and high-profile matters and good training" (in 9 reviews)

• "Great company, good benefits and bonuses" (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work-life balance isn't exactly what you should be looking for here" (in 11 reviews)

• "Work long hours, nights and weekends" (in 16 reviews)

1. "Demanding Environment"

Former Employee - Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Sullivan & Cromwell full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very smart, driven colleagues
    Every matter you work on is news-worthy
    You will become a better lawyer
    Partners are willing to give opportunities to junior/mid-level associates if you show they can handle them

Cons

No work/life balance
    There can be a lot of difficult personalities

2. "A prestigious, venerable firm. Looks great on a resume."

Former Employee - Legal Administrative Assistant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Legal Administrative Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at Sullivan & Cromwell full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

S&C is a top firm. They are well-known within the legal community. Staff have access to all sorts of in-house technology training and are encouraged to take courses. S&C demands the highest quality work product from their staff members. This was my first real job after college, I can say with the utmost certainty how positively they shaped my work ethic. One great aspect not discussed much by staff are the networking connections you’ll make. Former lawyers are employed by all sorts of highly respected companies. You’ll never have an issue finding a new job because of the reputation the firm carries. I really did learn a lot. I also made friends for life.

Cons

Micromanaging, useless mid-level managers, subpar treatment of support staff. S&C does not treat staff with the same level of respect as their lawyers. Lawyers have a different maternity leave policy. They have unlimited access to the on-site daycare. Staff aren’t allowed to use the gym. Lawyers and staff have separate holiday parties. Lawyers can attend the staff party while staff cannot attend the lawyer event.

Advice to Management

Stop treating employees who do not have a JD like garbage. Invest in them. Don’t baby them.

"Not Great For Support Staff"

Pros

You're working with the absolute best in their field and extremely intelligent people.

Cons

These same people also treat you like crap.

Advice to Management

Allow room to rise for support staff.

4. "Amazing"

I have been working at Sullivan & Cromwell full-time

Pros

So many benefits and no cons.

Cons

There is absolutely no cons.

5. "Hard work"

I have been working at Sullivan & Cromwell full-time

Pros

good pay, some partner support

Cons

some partners are a nightmare to work for

"Exposure to interesting cases/issues but firm culture needs to change"

Former Employee - Legal Assistant
    Former Employee - Legal Assistant

I worked at Sullivan & Cromwell full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Exposure to complex, high-profile litigation that gives you solid experience how to handle very demanding clients. The more overtime you work, the more you get paid. For an entry-level position out of college, you can make a good chunk of change if you work enough overtime.

The legal assistant position is demanding and frustrating at times, but ultimately rewarding if you make the right connections with the right people.

Cons

As a member of the "support staff" you are labeled as such in all regards. Legal assistants are a vital part of the litigation machine, but many times, the work goes completely unappreciated. Although I did have the pleasure to work with a handful of associates who were extremely nice people and great team-players, several associates and partners felt the need to remind the legal assistants that we were second-class citizens in the eyes of the firm. There were several instances of "black-out rage" moments when it came to associates who would simply yell at legal assistants because we were easy punching bags.

There were very few associates who I worked for while at the firm who confidently could say they enjoyed working there.

Advice to Management

Corporate law is a prime example of the notion that just because you went to a top law school and got good grades doesn't make you 1) a good communicator/team player 2) a decent person or 3) a good lawyer. I saw living proof of this everyday. To make quality and effective work product, you need people who are not just book smart, but people smart as well. The firm should re-think its emphasis on school name and grades as the central factor for employment.

"Associate"

Pros

High profile cases; a lot of helpful support staff

Cons

Extremely hierarchical and bloated organization. Associates experiences can wildly differ, but I was placed in teams where the senior associates were infamous for their demeaning and unreasonable behavior. Be prepared to work 20+ hours a day doing brutally inane tasks while being yelled at the entire time for not performing fast enough. Every other associate I know that works for the firm is unhappy. It’s a very closed door culture (literally, you walk around and most doors are closed).

8. "Intensive training with some of the best lawyers in the world, but a cold firm culture."

Current Employee - Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Sullivan & Cromwell full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Diverse and high-profile matters and good training.

Cons

Cold firm culture, high turnover, and litigation department largely consumed by internal investigations.

Advice to Management

Try to improve firm culture to include greater feedback and mentoring.

"Legal Assistant"

I worked at Sullivan & Cromwell full-time

Pros

Good legal assistant community; connections for future jobs as a lawyer if continuing to law school

Cons

Many unpredictable hours for less pay than other NY firms; 2 year commitment so if other Legal Assistants break their commitment, then the remainder of the work falls to remaining Legal Assistants and hours get longer; negative overall firm culture & bad attitude

10. "Nice place to work"

I worked at Sullivan & Cromwell full-time

Pros

Definitely compensation and the quality of the lawyers who work here.

Cons

Long working hours and the expectation of being available at all times of the day.