Sulzer Hickham Reviews | Glassdoor

Sulzer Hickham Reviews

2.9
Darayus Pardivala

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "There is good and bad"

Pros

They offered me an opportunity to dig my teeth into an exciting new field that holds my interests deeply, paid my training and certificates, love the work and what I was working on...at least while work lasts

Cons

Supposedly have all these jobs lined up but can't put me on any of them, I grew rusty and dull sitting on unemployment and working little kid jobs for 15+ months at a time to survive the long layoffs, asked to be pushed into the shop in the down time so I can keep learning but because a family member works in one of the shops they were worried about "nepotism" Yet there are multiple large family dynasties within the company and within even the same shops, like the Powers for instance...there's a lot of overtime being paid that could be alleviated if they brought some local field hands in to supplement the shop

Advice to Management

Not sure I know where or how to criticize, perhaps if you hire a green hand you can work them at the shop when there is down time in the field so they don't become rusty, this field is absolutely fascinating, I love the work I did there but how can one build and learn this career if they don't hear or do anything connected to it for months or years at a time?

2. "ok"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Spokane, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Spokane, WA

I have been working at Sulzer Hickham (More than a year)

Pros

Steady work,good pay,lots of overtime. People were good to work with and easy to get along with. Located in good area.

Cons

12 hour days 7 days a week are hard on employees. Unorganized planning . Management in my section was not that good.

Advice to Management

Get your ordering correct for tooling on the jobs that are run that you know are coming up months before they are run. Don't waste time having employees looking for tools and tooling.

3. "World class company"

I have been working at Sulzer Hickham full-time

Pros

Well paid, safe and clean workplace. People are very helpful. Pay for performance. People are treated very fairly and benefits are very good. Top Management cares about the people

Cons

Industry demands long hours at times, with paid overtime. Middle management sometimes push a bit much - maybe it's because of high customer pressure in the industry

Advice to Management

Keep training the middle management

"Change in management during the last 3 years, hostile workplace for many departments."

Former Employee - Worked In Core Shop in La Porte, TX
    Former Employee - Worked In Core Shop in La Porte, TX

I worked at Sulzer Hickham full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pros

- If your unemployed and need a job, it's better than being broke
    - If you are in upper management, administration, or HR you don't face most of the cons

- A other few select pockets are still good places to work within the site, but they are shrinking and disappearing slowly.

Cons

- Upper Management takes no responsibility, displaces blame on employees

- Extreme lack of respect and poor treatment

- Lack of recognition and compensation for even the most outstanding performance

- Low to modest pay for your position

- Extreme lack of efficiency and poor workflows/communication

- Management keeps shaving benefits from middle management and lower

- Management removed people and tools from our team, added responsibilities, and raised expectations of produced work, tell me how that works.

- Worked over 70 hours in a week at times, overtime was a constant.

- Overtime was constant for many months at a time.

- Constantly understaffed.

- Management doesn't even know the jobs of the employees it manages in many cases, at times even being called out by each other for their extreme lack of knowledge of the very work flows they are managing.

- Anonymous tip line has gotten people fired, if this isn't a red flag I don't know what is.

- Sexual harassment of female employees is quite common and HR has worked hard to prevent multiple lawsuits.

- Company has already lost many key players in the last year, people who may not have the positions but were the movers and shakers within the company. 6+ employees of this caliber from many different departments have been lost in the last year alone.

- Within my stay there I got to see them get fined for not reporting over 100 separate accidents and also not following safety regulations regarding equipment and chemicals, even including Hexavalent Chromium (google it).

-Corporate headquarters seems to have no idea how bad the situation has gotten, considering the numbers manipulation I've seen first hand I can only assume they are being sent faulty numbers.

Advice to Management

Your employees ARE your company. Treat them well and with respect if they are doing their job well. Morale was so low people were leaving constantly, and it continues to be extremely low. Throughout the complex the morale and the efficiency of various departments has degraded rapidly under the abuse that has been levied at them and despite being so bad it was affecting people's home life significantly it still has not bottomed out.

You're not just making your own life more comfortable, you are destroying some of your employees lives even away from work with the stress you are putting them under. Keep that in mind. You used to be a good place to work, make it so once again.

5. "Hirers people they know"

Former Employee - Accounts Receivable Clerk in Pasadena, TX
    Former Employee - Accounts Receivable Clerk in Pasadena, TX

I worked at Sulzer Hickham full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

free drinks, company shirts only if your in a group, food occasionally . Employees where wonderful and hard working smiles all the time regardless of stress.

Cons

Bullying hard to move up unless you knew someone or brown nosed. Insurance was terrible couldn't afford had to go to free clinics very high deductibles and office visits. they would rather get rid of people who have been there a long time and was dedicated to hirer friends an family. Very under paid and very much had to belong to a clique to get respect.

Advice to Management

Share the wealth , with out the employees things wouldn't run so smooth and make management have a dress code it is very unprofessional they way the women walked around.

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Pros

Great place to learn, and grow as an engineer. Amazing facility. Top notch leadership, management

Cons

Many, many hours. Difficult to make an impact early on

Advice to Management

Judge employees by their work

"Stable Company that values production over emp. well being"

Former Employee - Balance Technician
    Former Employee - Balance Technician

Pros

Stable company that's not going anywhere. You can make a good living.

Cons

Never a moment of peace. Management are militaristic in nature. Employees are urged to to compete and hoard knowledge.

Advice to Management

Ease up, and expect your employees to do the right thing. Their work will tell on them. The domineering approach only leads to a culture that is not condusive with positive attitudes. Possitive attitudes=more production, simple, right?