SumTotal Reviews | Glassdoor

SumTotal Reviews

Updated Feb 16, 2020

SumTotal Executive Chairman Bill Donoghue (no image)
Bill Donoghue
Pros
Cons
  • "No job security and no work-life balance(in 23 reviews)

• "Sometimes, it feels like the Skillsoft sales rep have more 'marketing' budget based on their sales activity(in 16 reviews)

"The most supportive environment"

Current Employee - Customer Success Manager

I have been working at SumTotal full-time for less than a year

Pros

The people at SumTotal are absolutely amazing. I work remotely but talk to my teammates more than I did working in an office. I found the team is very supportive. SumTotal is also customer-driven. They want to make their customers happy and will go the extra mile. SumTotal is also great for work/life balance. They understand the importance of having a life outside of work. Many organizations are starting to overlook this and its great to see SumTotal is maintaining this outlook. Finally, GREAT PRODUCT! SumTotal has an amazing product to offer its customers. There are many competitors who say they can outperform SumTotal but they overpromise and fail to deliver.

Cons

SumTotal doesn't practice what you expect from Talent Management software provider. They aren't really innovative in their learning and development initiatives and the onboarding was a little tedious. In addition, the Customer Success Manager role is evolving and changing. This is not a bad thing, but necessary to be agile in business. As a result, there is ambiguity as to what a Customer Success Manager does and what a Sales Director does.

SumTotal2019-05-02
  2. "Need to improve product training for sales reps."

Current Employee - Senior Account Manager

I have been working at SumTotal full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great Marketing and pre sales materials.

Cons

Did not provide adequate product and sales training.

SumTotal2020-02-11
  3. Create your profile to get personalized information

4. "Great people, high turnover"

Former Employee - Marketing

I worked at SumTotal full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Generous benefits and amazing co-workers

Cons

Very little diversity or any apparent attempts to develop a diverse group of employees within the organization. Be prepared to do the work of several employees.

SumTotal2020-02-16

"Where careers go to die"

Current Employee - Consultant in Gainesville, FL

I have been working at SumTotal full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

great co-workers who try to help when they can

Cons

Toxic management No opportunity for advancement Sweatshop-like work environment No bonuses No raises The motto is "blame employees first, solve the problem later" Professional Services is neither professional, nor service-oriented

SumTotal2019-12-03

"SumTotal could be so much more with some change"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gainesville, FL

I worked at SumTotal full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

One of the single best aspects of SumTotal is team collaboration. I worked remotely and felt closer to my team than if I worked in an office. Our team could ask questions in a safe environment with management constantly watching our every word. Everyone is super helpful and willing to jump in if you just ask.

Cons

Sales professionals beware: In the 4+ years owned by Skillsoft, we’ve never received a COMP in Q1. The last three years it has been Q3 or later with metrics being tied back to Q1/Q2 that you can’t change. No leadership development: For an organization that consultants our customers to develop and promote from within to retain employees, we rarely provide opportunities for individuals to advance. Top level management is very disconnected from the realities of the field: C-suite executives are making sweeping changes to the business that are NOT for the betterment of employees or our customers. Enable your front line and mid level managers to actually provide support, guidance, and development rather than controlling everything and everyone at the top.

SumTotal2019-08-09

"Free at Last"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant

I have been working at SumTotal full-time

Pros

The recent removal of the head of Services has lifted a dark cloud.

Cons

Consulting at SumTotal has been a nightmare, led by aggressive and condescending management. Recent changes have led to a minor improvement, but the new Services leader retains much of the negative attitude without any sense of leadership or humanity towards employees. A full purge of leadership is needed to make any real difference in this dying company. Customers, employees and partners are treated without any respect or potential for success. Expect to work long hours, without raises, bonuses or career opportunities.

SumTotal2019-08-07

"Cleaning House"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant

I have been working at SumTotal full-time

Pros

After years of tyrannical management, it appears they are finally cleaning house and removing senior leaders in Sales and Services that have "violated the code of ethics". It had long been rumored that there were improprieties going on, but it is a step in the right direction to see some house cleaning at the top.

Cons

Despite the recent purge, there are still pockets of mismanagement that need to be removed and replaced. Long hours are expected for little compensation and no recognition. Not a place for a career - it's simply a job.

SumTotal2019-07-26

"Not the best"

Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Gainesville, FL

I have been working at SumTotal full-time for more than a year

Pros

Some of my coworkers are great to work with. The option to work from home is nice but that’s circumstantial.

Cons

The job is just a typical customer support job, answering phones, receiving backlash from unappreciative customers, strict metrics, tiptoeing with your responses to customers and the list goes on. When I started I wanted to eventually work my way up and we supposedly work in HQ so I thought that’d be easy to do, right? Wrong. There’s literally no jobs available here and if so, it’s the same tech support role. The majority of the jobs are located in India. There have been many people that has left the company and their job is never posted, there’s not even a ceo, I guess when he left Sumtotal thought they were good without...? So honestly there’s no moving up unless I move out of the country or to a different state or better yet just leave completely. And also the 5% bonus that I was told we get if we did good, we didn’t get it despite how “good” they said we did which just adds on to the negatives I already had for the company. There doesn’t seem to be much of a direction for the company, it’s like a ship without a captain, we’re just floating.

SumTotal2019-06-12

"It's all about the Talk Track"

Current Employee - Practice Director

I have been working at SumTotal full-time

Pros

Smart employees that are willing to work hard

Cons

Probably the most dishonest organization I have ever encountered. Everything is about the "talk track". We need to talk to a customer about the product gaps - what is the "talk track"? We need to tell a customer why we cannot deliver on time - what is the "talk track"? We need to tell employees their peers have been laid off - what is the "talk track"? No bonuses this year - what is the "talk track"? No CEO - what is the "talk track"? The company spends more time crafting fictional stories to cover their deficiencies than spending time to actually FIX the problems. It is all about C-Y-A and trying to deceive customers and employees as long as possible. It's a total sham.

SumTotal2019-06-20
  11. "Challenging"

Former Employee - Client Operations Manager in Gainesville, FL

I worked at SumTotal full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Flexible schedule, ability to build cross-team functionality and networking

Cons

Poor operations planning and growth among Support, Network Hosting and Software Development teams.

SumTotal2019-05-22

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Found 373 reviews