SumTotal Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Bill Donoghue

Pros
  • Excellent benefits and work/life balance (in 16 reviews)

• Flexible shift timings, work from home option, Yearly hikes & Yearly gifts (in 11 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"So far, so good"

Current Employee - Senior Customer Operations Manager in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Customer Operations Manager in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at SumTotal full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

New hires start with three weeks of vacation!
    10 standard holidays.
    I get my birthday off as a paid day.
    Two floating holidays.

Incredibly supportive manager and teammates.
    My specific position allows me to work remotely.
    Compensation is about par with the market.

Cons

Medical and dental benefits are not quite as good as some, but are reasonably good.
    Some of the tools we use are not as good as our own tools, but we're moving towards using our own product suite.

Advice to Management

None so far, very happy with my manager. She seems very open and "safe".

"Software Engineer"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Gainesville, FL
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Gainesville, FL

I worked at SumTotal (Less than a year)

Pros

Good and reasonable coworkers and management

Cons

Occasional on-call shifts and feels a tad stagnant

3. "Software Dev Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gainesville, FL

I have been working at SumTotal full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Consistent challenging work and nice team environment.

Cons

Limited options to switch between projects

"Only if you're desperate!"

Former Employee - Technical Support Engineer I in Gainesville, FL
    Former Employee - Technical Support Engineer I in Gainesville, FL

I worked at SumTotal full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some good managers who have lost all power. They can only give you pep talks to make you feel better about the terrible situation you are currently in.

Cons

It's really gone down hill. Backlog for an LMS engineer right now is 80 cases on average. I wouldn't recommend this company to a personal friend so I wouldn't recommend it on here either.

Advice to Management

Upper management (Skillsoft) has ruined this company. Lower level management are feeling the effects also.

"I gained such valuable knowledge......about how NOT to run a company"

Former Employee - Technical Support Engineer II in Gainesville, FL
    Former Employee - Technical Support Engineer II in Gainesville, FL

I worked at SumTotal full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Glassdoor is forcing me to have a 20 word minimum but I honestly don't have 20 good words to describe Sumtotal.... I guess the medical benefits are nice, but you can get comparable benefits elsewhere...

Cons

Where do I even begin?

Less than mediocre product----check
           For example----it's HR management software and they didn't even utilize it internally because it sucks so badly. Constant bugs, the next release breaks stuff in the last release that got "fixed", no smooth communication between internal teams.

Poor overall management----check
           Upper management pretends that they care, but don't let that fool you. You are nothing but a number. Every time there are employee moral issues, THE EMPLOYEES are tasked with making it better. How does that even make sense? Oh that's right----because they do not care. If you want to feel valued, don't work here. Also, management tends to move in the right direction, then fails within 2 years. In my time there, I could count on a mass exodus every other year like clockwork.

Even worse lower management----check
           There is NOTHING worse in the workplace than having a direct manager that doesn't have your back. No matter what you do, it will be YOUR fault. Even when you are a top performer. Even when you volunteer to do more than the job requires. Even when you get stellar surveys from high paying customers and you're the only support engineer that can keep them happy. Nope, none of it matters. You're viewed as a bad seed, a primadonna, someone that just can't handle it. It really amazes me because there is one manager literally tearing apart the support organization. I hope that one day they will realize the damage they have caused. They have single handedly killed every bit of hope in support. And what does the company do? LET US REORGANIZE and dump the pile of feces you have created on other managers who don't deserve it.

I personally believe that since being acquired by skillsoft, they are purposely making life hell for employees so they leave and don't have to fork out severances.

Advice to Management

stop piling band aids on wounds that need stitches and don't believe everything your managers tell you about their direct reports--it's just a ploy to make themselves look better

"don't bother"

Former Employee - Director in Burlington, MA
    Former Employee - Director in Burlington, MA

I worked at SumTotal full-time

Pros

- individual groups can be good to work in
    - some good managers still exist, but are only good because they use common sense instead of following corporate policy
    - pay is ok, but largely depends on where in the country you are

Cons

- layoffs and budget cuts: sometimes businesses need to cut costs, everyone understands that. But the tone deaf, x% across the board cuts this company uses just killed the ability of entire teams to do their jobs
    - no direction or vision from upper management
    - continue to develop substandard products which only get "fixed" by adding new features
    - morale is non-existent at this point

Advice to Management

start caring about employees, when i left anyone i knew who was worth keeping was looking for a way out.

8. "BEWARE!!!!"

Former Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Gainesville, FL
    Former Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Gainesville, FL

I worked at SumTotal full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent benefits like medical, dental insurance
    Gym reimbursement for 150/yr

Cons

Low compensation compared to industry at 36,000/yr. After taxes you are only making 1100 every two weeks. This company also has a huge product problem. It's own HR talent and learning product elixirHR isn't even used by the company because it has so many bugs. Also didn't find anyone here to be friendly... most people don't even say hello.

Advice to Management

Fix your product and better compensation packages. Many employees who do understand the product left. You should have tried to retain those employees.

9. "Good People!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gainesville, FL

I have been working at SumTotal full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good people, good work environment

Cons

Stagnant salaries, Stagnant opportunities .... no clear path for career development

Advice to Management

Help with career planning, career development, personal development

10. "Mixed Experience"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA

I worked at SumTotal full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Comparatively simpler interview process than most companies, so easier to get in and get valuable experience on your resume, learn a decent set of technologies.
    There is some scope to occasionally work on stories independently and prove your capabilities. However this is largely dependent on whom you are reporting to.
    Most people I came across are friendly and helpful.

Cons

- Not a lot of say as a team member to have your say or provide inputs in design related discussions.
    - Not a whole lot of scope to be innovative or do things differently.
    - Work culture is not the most ideal. Most senior non-remote employees treat 'Remote Work/ Work from Home' as a right and not a privilege.
    - Higher management is not exactly transparent in the direction in which they are taking the company in terms of the products.

Advice to Management

- Keep employees in the loop about overall development and planning in terms of at least the product they are working on.
    - The 'Remote working' policy for in office employees definitely needs to be revisited to help improve the team bonding and output.
    - Can do better in recognizing individual accomplishments. Sometimes. simple words of appreciation from immediate managers do the trick.

11. "CS intern"

Current Employee - Customer Support Intern in Gainesville, FL
    Current Employee - Customer Support Intern in Gainesville, FL

I have been working at SumTotal (Less than a year)

Pros

good working environment and a good office

Cons

tough to get in for an interview