SumTotal Reviews | Glassdoor

SumTotal Reviews

Updated January 19, 2018

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work life balance is a huge benefit (in 27 reviews)

• Most employees work from home, you own your own hours and deliverables (in 15 reviews)

Cons

"Sumtotal Systems in BIG trouble"

I worked at SumTotal full-time

Pros

base pay is pretty good but don't count on much in way of commissions

Cons

Disruption all over the map. All the good people have left or are leaving as we speak. They have not been hitting investors numbers. Not one regional sales manager made their sales goals last year. Lost all leadership as a company.

Advice to Management

They advise to management wouldn't matter at this point since most have chosen to leave the failing company.

"Another case of the curse of the acquisition"

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at SumTotal full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Local mangers have done well at keeping their focus on the business despite the craziness from Skillsoft
    - Lots of great VP and Director staff trying their best at the individual business unit to succeed.
    - Good product ideas and customer base, if they can hold onto them

Cons

- Product puts bells and whistles over functionality and usability, customers and support complain about the non-intuitive UX and hodge podge of 20 years worth of engineering. We thought that the unified design was supposed to take care of most of the random code but each release seems to generate more tickets than the last.

- Newest CEO lasted not even 2 months, shows the focus at the top of Skillsoft is still not defined despite all the cheer leading by many at the top

- No communication between Skillsoft and Sumtotal management as to what we should be focused on.

- Should not be in the hosting business, trying to host their own product may have been profitable at one time but with all the recent product changes infrastructure costs are skyrocketing

Advice to Management

Get it together and provide a unified front between all the business units rather than trying to solve the problems on your own. Neither Sales, Support nor services can solve the mess on your own so why not talk to the other VPs and Directors before making huge changes.

"Served me with Legal Papers after I left"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Columbus, OH

I worked at SumTotal full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I learned a lot, but I worked my tail off for it.

Cons

The company served me with papers and threated legal action after I left to prevent me from poaching employees, funny thing... I never recruited a single employee.

Received poor training, and absolutely no support with customers. Managed products that were not ready to be deployed and ended up being the person in front of irate customers defending why the company was so screwed up.

Massive politics, do not think that effort, knowledge, and skill will ever get you promoted. They won't. I am not aware of a single senior manager at SumTotal that I would trust at this point.

Forced you to take a cryptic skills assessment test, failure or poor performance could end your employment or severely hamper future prospects within the company (note, this was not a test on job skills. Think of it as a really strange IQ and aptitude test)

Worst work life balance i have ever experienced.

Advice to Management

Decide what you want to do with this company, because right now you are driving away every good employee that ever existed. If you don't quickly realize that the employees are your value, then you will continue to go down hill.

"Two Worlds - Leaders and everyone else... (Too bad one of those worlds is a fantasy)"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at SumTotal full-time

Pros

Good people though the few with any true knowledge continue to leave of their own accord
    Other than that, not much

Cons

Leadership lives in an ivory tower with no concept of what the day to day of their employees is like
    Refuse to acknowledge the state of most customer accounts and the catastrophic status of references
    No vision of where sumtotal can go, shackle the product team so no real innovation occurs
    Employees are meaningless and forget work/life balance

Advice to Management

Get real and sell the company - you don't know what you have and you need to get someone in place that does before there is nothing to sell.

"consultant"

I worked at SumTotal full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

--the pay okay
    --they sound very positive when in the recruiting process.
    --The first year of employment seemed so great.

Cons

No managers at any LEVEL of the company, watches out for employees performance

Since SumTotal got bought out, there are clicks of people within the employee base, and even up the chain in management to target and get rid of employees they do not like. Then the management (middle to upper) target how to work together to get rid of the employees who:

--Do not fit their drinking culture (my manager told me if I didn't stay out and drink with them all night I would not be staying on the team)

--Do not secretly hate and complain about Skillsoft taking over

--Purposefully stop communicating to employees not liked since most of the company works remotely. A tool to force the EE to leave on their own

--Get rid of any employee who shows initiative that their current team/manager doesn't agree with

--Once you the EE is gone, communicating in social media to that persons friends giving the past employee a bad reputation

Mostly importantly, Don't try to Stand Out as someone great at your job with this company, or show too much confidence, because it could be the path to slowly letting you go

Advice to Management

Pay attention to employee performance, especially getting new employees engaged. I started and my manager was fired within a month of starting, aand even after many new managers, not one of them took the time to understand their new team and then to nurture that team for success. They spent their time nurturing their own personal job needs in the new Skillsoft company.

Don't just let your middle managers do work without monitoring and managing them as well!

These middle managers are the ones not mature and enabling a "turn over" culture, which we know in business is expensive, especially for an LMS company who knows this.

When you get complacent, and let middle managers run the company, it becomes operation as usually, using the excuse that "allowing the employee to learn on their own" shows their want their jobs.

This is just another lazy way for managers to keep their calendars from not being too busy, spending that remote time on their home priorities or job aspirations.

6. "Software Dev Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gainesville, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gainesville, FL

I have been working at SumTotal full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Consistent challenging work and nice team environment.

Cons

Limited options to switch between projects

"Lots of Turnover"

Former Employee - Senior Solutions Consultant
    Former Employee - Senior Solutions Consultant

I worked at SumTotal full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Skillsoft, the parent company, provided excellent benefits, salary and compensation. The SumTotal product was very good until they decided to redesign and consolidate the backend. This has caused multiple issues. Really enjoyed my coworkers.

Cons

High rate of turnover at all levels of the company. Some of this is to be expected but most that have stuck around are playing politics to keep their jobs. In my department, there was little to no training and management is more worried about who is going to be their boss than worrying about their employees. This translated into a very stressful work environment.

Advice to Management

Streamline the product and work out the kinks. There is a reason that most of the sales people have left at all levels. Find out why.

"Great to gain experience"

Current Employee - Consultant
    Current Employee - Consultant

I have been working at SumTotal full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Diverse clinettel, exposure to many industries
    If you ask, you can have great access to the product
    Opportunities to make organization level impact on processes
    Great heath insurance, 401k employer match program, lots of company holidays

Cons

Stagnant salaries
    No career paths
    Lots of voluntary attrition at all levels of the organization

Advice to Management

A company-wide 2% raise in lieu of merit based increases is a literal insult to your high performing employees. However, congrats on saving Charterhouse Equity a $1.5m/year in salaries.

9. "Great Company"

Pros

Great people, but i think that they all have left.

Cons

The work is like climbing an endless mountain

Advice to Management

its all changed

"So far, so good"

Current Employee - Senior Customer Operations Manager in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Customer Operations Manager in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at SumTotal full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

New hires start with three weeks of vacation!
    10 standard holidays.
    I get my birthday off as a paid day.
    Two floating holidays.

Incredibly supportive manager and teammates.
    My specific position allows me to work remotely.
    Compensation is about par with the market.

Cons

Medical and dental benefits are not quite as good as some, but are reasonably good.
    Some of the tools we use are not as good as our own tools, but we're moving towards using our own product suite.

Advice to Management

None so far, very happy with my manager. She seems very open and "safe".