Summa Health System Reviews | Glassdoor

Summa Health System Reviews

Updated May 25, 2017

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Summa Health System President and CEO Thomas Malone, M.D.
Thomas Malone, M.D.

Pros
Cons
  • upper management does not care about employees or patients (in 8 reviews)

• Instead of focusing on the above items, management is rolling out a 1980s era dress code that is horrifying to anyone born after 1985 (in 6 reviews)

"Catty, cliquey, neglectful staff"

Former Employee - RN Staff Nurse in Akron, OH
    Former Employee - RN Staff Nurse in Akron, OH

I worked at Summa Health System full-time

Pros

The benefits were amazing and the pay was competitive. They had a good routine of holding conferences regarding patient-related safety issues.

Cons

Loss of emergency medicine accreditation, loss of streamlined care, staff on 3W neuroscience trauma were VERY CATTY, EAT THEIR YOUNG, GOSSIP 24/7, TALK NEGATIVELY ABOUT THEIR PATIENTS, ALL BREAK AT THE SAME TIME AND LEFT ME TO ATTEND TO THE ENTIRE FLOOR, NEGLECT PATIENTS. Very disappointed in the professionalism and patient satisfaction. Felt as if I was the only RN who took time to form relationships with the patients. Staff walked in and out of rooms to give meds then sat around the nurses station to goof around and expected techs/aids to attend to all the needs of the patients while their IVs ran dry.

Advice to Management

Pay more attention to how well your employees are doing patient-care-wise. Be more empathetic. Provide emotional support. Open your eyes and see that you have employed a group of terrible people who bully new employees and subordinates.

"Good Thing Gone Bad"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Akron, OH

I have been working at Summa Health System full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Prior to partnering with CHP SUMMA was an employer that valued employees.

Cons

Since Catholic Health Partners have been in charge it's been nothing but cuts in staff and in employee benefits. Very embarrassing top management decisions. Loss of Certification to have a Residency program. Totally the fault of greedy upper management decisions. The CEO has resigned but that will solve nothing.

Advice to Management

Stop lying. Regain your ethical standards. Stop being the Donald Trump Administration of hospital management.

3. "Thankless place to work"

Former Employee - Staff RN in Akron, OH
    Former Employee - Staff RN in Akron, OH

I worked at Summa Health System part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Quote from Summa's top leaders: be thankful you have a job.

Cons

In the last five years, Summa's policies and leadership have taken a decided turn against the employee. The front facing, direct care employees (most impact on the public face of the company) have become expendable, unvalued worker bees. Benefits have been winnowed away until they only exist on paper. Hourly pay has effectively declined, as two 1% raises in eight years does not keep up with inflation. Staff earn vacation, but are afforded no opportunity to use it, only to have it taken away at the end of the year. Further, both clinical and nonclinical policies actively prevent adequate patient care and put my license in jeopardy. Summa as an employer and care delivery entity is a throwback to the industrial revolution: a shining example of why unions were created.

Advice to Management

Your worker bees are your business, responsible for all of your QA measures. Treating them well will give them the tools to improve these measures. Treating them poorly will and has had a negative effect on these measures.

4. "Nurse"

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Akron, OH
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Akron, OH

I worked at Summa Health System full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with, makes the night go by fast. You get good experience, not much else than that.

Cons

Once you get experience, get out. Patients are pretty much nursing home status and unfit for a rehab facility. All the CEO cares about is filling her wallet, does not care at all about the nursing staff. You constantly work short staffed and the floor begins to sound like an ER because of all the call lights. Upper management does not care about anyone's well being, and do a poor job of pretending that they do. They also treat the Techs like garbage and give them way too many tasks that are impossible to get done. Not to mention tasks that aren't their responsibility, like cleaning rooms (that's for housekeeping to do). The point system is too strict and is always being changed for the worse. If anyone needs to see a gold standard on how to not run a hospital, Summa Rehab is that gold standard.

Advice to Management

Learn to manage the right way

"If you want to work for these imbeciles, go right ahead"

Former Employee - Medical Laboratory Technician in Akron, OH
    Former Employee - Medical Laboratory Technician in Akron, OH

I worked at Summa Health System (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great facility, community and coworkers. I made many friends and loved my job. I had zero problems with management or the facility.

Cons

Well, it was a fantastic place to work until they closed down inpatient services. I was "let go" and not given the courtesy of a phone call, email, or assistance finding another job. I found out on my own while trying to log into the employee portal from home. I was told that they were NOT obligated to inform me of my position being eliminated because I was a PRN employee. It has been YEARS since this happened and I am still REPULSED.

"Not Recommended"

Former Employee - Leadership Coach in Aurora, OH
    Former Employee - Leadership Coach in Aurora, OH

I worked at Summa Health System (More than 8 years)

Pros

Clinical staff dedicated to highest quality care for patents.

Cons

Leadership doesn't care about employees or Akron Community.

"Worst Company!"

Current Employee - Credentialing Analyst in Akron, OH
    Current Employee - Credentialing Analyst in Akron, OH

I have been working at Summa Health System full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A paycheck...but my soul is not for sale

Cons

HR, Dress Code, Wages, Hours, Management, Favortisim, Benefits

Advice to Management

This review is soley for SUMMACARE. This is the worst place I have ever worked for! I have been employed here for 5 years I have worked through more lunches, have been followed to the bathroom and questioned about my time spent in there, denied promotions, had credit from projects I completed stolen from me, bullied by supervisors, sexually harrassed, watched good employees who had longer employment than myself driven to the point of quitting by simply walking out, been reprimanded for speaking to other employees (as we are paid to work not build relationships with one another) plese keep in mind the compan'y slogan is "Building lasting Relationships, and have driven home in tears more times that I can remember!
      This company is all about who you know. Promotions are given to the close friends of Directors, very few minorities are hired on full time and are kept soley as temporary staff, women are forced to wear pantyhose with any length of skirt, and even the company embossed fleeces given to us during our so called Employee Appreciation Week have now been banned, and are deemed inappropriate (how is a company fleece worn during times when the building temperature cannot be regulated, considered inappropriate?) The company has even gone as far as to dictate what we can and cannot wear before and after our scheduled shifts! Stating that sandals, tennis shoes, fleeces, hoodies etc cannot be worn while walking into or out of the building even when off the clock on our own time.

SummaCare has some amazing people that are beaten down, taken advantage if, and left untrained by the short sighted and arrogant views of new CEO Tom Malone. The Directors and VP's casually sit in their offices shopping online and ignoring these problems and pretend to have the company's best interest at heart. And please, if you are even considering going to HR, be forewarned, that while this dept is supposed to be a fair advocate between the employee and employer they are only there to hide complaints, bury issues, and to make sure employees don't forget their place.

For a System that was built on the wellbeing of people (both mental and physical) they sure pride themselves on the destroying the few good employees they have left.

"Don't work here"

Current Employee - Protective Services Service Officer in Akron, OH
    Current Employee - Protective Services Service Officer in Akron, OH

Pros

There are none. Don't work here.

Cons

Horrible place to work. They treat their employees like work mules and pay dirt. Registration staff makes more than commissioned police officers that work for summa. Protective services dept command staff have no respect for the officers under them and don't care at all. An officer can see a crime being committed and will be told to let it go because they don't want a their police department to be too aggressive. This place is a joke. I make 12.54/hr. I'm a commissioned peace officer.

Advice to Management

Fire all management staff. They are worthless and have no respect for those that work under them

"Changes at Summahealth system"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Akron, OH

I have been working at Summa Health System part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Pros have been eclipsed by cons in recent years.

Cons

Company employee relations philosophy is "ask not what Summa can do for the employee, but what the employee can do for Summa." Policies disallow employees from actually using benefits; no functional raise in 6 years (the two small raises were offset by benefit cuts, resulting in a net loss for the employee). Etc.

Advice to Management

Respect your employees. Treat them like the educated professionals they are.

10. "sonographer"

Former Employee - Sonograher in Akron, OH
    Former Employee - Sonograher in Akron, OH

I worked at Summa Health System (Less than a year)

Pros

Equipment is up to date

Cons

They do not take time to train new employees

Advice to Management

Take time to train employees, to truly and fully evaluate status.