Summa Health System Reviews | Glassdoor

Summa Health System Reviews

Updated May 29, 2017

2.0
Summa Health System President and CEO Thomas Malone, M.D.
Thomas Malone, M.D.

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Flexible schedules and great benefits (in 8 reviews)

• Very good people to work with that are extremely committed to patient care (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • upper management does not care about employees or patients (in 8 reviews)

• Instead of focusing on the above items, management is rolling out a 1980s era dress code that is horrifying to anyone born after 1985 (in 6 reviews)

"Medical Resident"

Current Employee - Resident Physician in Akron, OH
    Current Employee - Resident Physician in Akron, OH

I have been working at Summa Health System full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Interim President is trustworthy and committed to positive change, which is much welcome after an administration built on cronyism, bullying, and micromanagement.

Cons

Too many years under the thumb of an inexperienced CEO and influenced by a narcissist in OBGYN that was promoted thanks to million dollar donations from family. Fully responsible for the loss of a well regarded residency education program for the sake of pure greed, which also put the entire hospital's residency programs on probation. Low moral due to micromanaging, job cuts, and overworked staff, which affects patient care. Claims to be dedicated to community health but it's really all about the money.

Advice to Management

Review EVERY Med Ed program and their leadership, particularly OBGYN and its "middle manager". Both are responsible for low moral and are enmeshed in dishonesty. Retire some of the board members that arrogantly supported the previous leadership. Restore the ED residency program. And consider keeping the interim President on permanently.

"Coordinator/Dispatcher"

Current Employee - Coordinator/Dispatcher in Akron, OH
    Current Employee - Coordinator/Dispatcher in Akron, OH

I have been working at Summa Health System full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Insurance is ok but should be better for a healthcare system; my manager is great and has an open-door policy

Cons

Tiny raises when there is one; insurance isn't what it should be for a healthcare system

Advice to Management

Always communicate and be willing to have an open-door policy

"Lay-offs every budget season and lots of turmoil right now"

Former Employee - Director in Akron, OH
    Former Employee - Director in Akron, OH

I worked at Summa Health System full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Pay is probably above average.

Cons

CEO just resigned. In may law suits with other hospitals so legal fees are draining the operating funds therefore layoffs to meet bottom line requirements of minority owner. Convert to software programs before testing is done so the processes are a mess. Being controlled by a minority owner (Mercy) even when results are not best for Summa.

Advice to Management

"if you are not helping the patient, help the employee who is helping the patient!" instead of lining your own pockets by laying off your history to keep your bonus!

4. "Medical Assistant"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Akron, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Akron, OH

I worked at Summa Health System full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good hours, good people to work with

Cons

upper management does not care about employees or patients

Advice to Management

stop worrying about money and start caring about your employees

5. "Meh"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Akron, OH

I have been working at Summa Health System full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The allow some flexibility with my schedule.

Cons

Execs are completely out of touch with what goes on in the real world (offices) when they make changes and decisions.

"Nurses are not considered valuable."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Akron, OH

I have been working at Summa Health System (More than 3 years)

Pros

All of my coworkers work very hard despite the unpleasant conditions created by management.

Cons

A direct quote from the director of nursing sums up the value they place on registered nurses. This was said during a meeting with employees where there was an open forum to ask questions directly to the director of nursing in regards to eliminating positions. "The number of nurses does not matter, it doesn't matter how many what-ifs nurses may have eliminated...you are not a billable entity to this company."

Advice to Management

Start respecting your employees, we are educated individuals who work in incredibly stressful environments that deal directly with peoples lives. We are the person the patients (or customers) see the most, making us the face of the health care system.

7. "Trainer"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in North Royalton, OH
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in North Royalton, OH

I worked at Summa Health System as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Close to home. Able to sleep in my own bed everynight

Cons

unorganized. scheduled changed multiple times a day

8. "Change, Change Change"

Current Employee - Systems Director in Akron, OH
    Current Employee - Systems Director in Akron, OH

I have been working at Summa Health System full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Summa's working, trying to move in the right direction for healthcare in the current environment. The perspective on population health management and well care is top notch.

Cons

While Summa's strategy is top notch and moving in the right direction, there is a significant - almost insurmountable disconnect between the executive team and front line staff. Implementing an "Optix/Productivity" tool when staffing and process management is below par will ultimately burn out your power employees and create a larger void to long term success.

Advice to Management

Work faster to get a better handle on what is needed to manage processes more efficiently before diving further into population health. Stop connecting the "Patient Centered Medical Home" model with success until you can actually connect the physicians to the hospital and documentation in a meaningful way. Find your gaps ... they are there and they will limit your success.

"Regional Call Center, Registered Nurse Coordinator"

Current Employee - Regional Call Center, Registered Nurse Coordinator in Akron, OH

I have been working at Summa Health System (More than 10 years)

Pros

Diverse and challenging position. utilize medical knowledge

Cons

management not focused on input of staff, isolated

"Good insurance, awful management"

Former Employee - Medical Assistant in Akron, OH
    Former Employee - Medical Assistant in Akron, OH

I worked at Summa Health System full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good insurance, flex spending account.

Cons

The chain of management literally crumbled and fell the last month I was there. One bad apple made alot of decent MA's leave at the practice I was at. Alot of extra work was piled on top of me for well over a year after they fired another MA, I did her job until i finally quit. Forget about raises at this company. I stuck it out for a few years but finally gave up

Advice to Management

You need to get it together. Your managers are severely under-trained, and ill qualified to deal with problem employees, sending good workers looking elsewhere for work.