Summerlin Hospital Reviews | Glassdoor

Robert Freymuller

1. "RN"

Current Employee - Staff RN in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Staff RN in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Summerlin Hospital full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Supportive team, fair pay, safe RN assignments

Cons

Large corporate way of thinking

2. "Employees are leaches"

Current Employee - Clinical Worker in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Clinical Worker in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Summerlin Hospital full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits, job security, location is prime,

Cons

I have worked at the hospital for 10+ years and have seen the employee moral decline with the current COO. The positive vibe of the company is no more. They used to reward good behavior for things like finishing mandatory testing, being a good employee. We used to have employee of the month in our department and that devolved away about three years ago. I feel they try to micro manage every aspect of your job. Like where you park. Employees are given 2 levels of a parking garage that is heavily used by patients and visitors. And the "backup" garage is on the opposite side of the hospital from the employee entrance. Let's not even get into the daily car vandalism that occurs there. It has been going on for years and they refuse to beef up security. Rather, they tell employees to take everything out of your car. Things like your registration, garage door openers. Things they know the person committing such vandalism are targeting. There is no room for climbing up the ladder. No cross training. They have an "incident" reporting software that every employee has access to. They say it is for them to improve errors that occur. But the only thing I have seen is write ups for whomever is lower on the totem pole.
    The moral of the place has plummeted to a new low.

Advice to Management

Please show you actually value your employees and we are more than just pawn pieces for your profit. Staff accordingly. A hospitals main priority should be to get people well not how much profit you can make.

3. "Registered Nurse"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Las Vegas, NV

Pros

The pay is pretty good. Better than any other place I've been offered a job at (lots of job offers).

Cons

Work 6 days a week sometimes.

Advice to Management

None at this time,

5. "Executive Level Associate"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Summerlin Hospital full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Beautiful Facility in a lovely part of the city. Dedicated C-Suite personnel

Cons

Regional Financial Leadership only focused on the financial bottomline and not the facility's patient safety, staff and physicians

Advice to Management

Ensure that you value your associates and help them to progress in their career

"RN III"

Former Employee - RN Staff in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - RN Staff in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Summerlin Hospital full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

UHS implements evidenced based practices and best practices and supplies were more cutting edge. There was outstanding educational support for newly hired nurses within the UHS System.

Cons

This hospital is far from pro-nursing. I last worked there in 2010 and at that time there was no strive for Magnet status. This may have changed since this credential is now highly associated with Quality care and the embodiment of Health Reform is looking closely at quality. As I stated above there was excellent educational support for new nurses but, it seemed to stop there rather than encouraging all of their nursing staff through various stages of there careers.
    I was a critical care nurse in the MICU and last worked at Summerlin Medical Center in 12/2010 at that time the nursing culture in the MICU did not embrace the nursing profession rather than seeing it as a job. There were literally 2 strong nursing leaders during the time that I worked at Summerlin MICU and a crew of punitive management (most charge nurses included) which were not leaders.
    Lastly there were no intensivists in the critical care units or house doctors for the floors to support patients and nurses overnight or even in a critical situation.

Advice to Management

I apologize for inaccurate information if efforts have been made over the last 3 years to change the culture of nursing but, I feel that there is a lot of support from UHS which could be far greater utilized to really make Summerlin an outstanding nurse centric hospital. Nurses need to be supported to produce research, achieve certification, and stay current by attending conferences (which I should add are often in LV).
    Patient safety would improve if there were intensivists in the critical care units, house MD or acute care NP's to support floor staff, and lastly establish a team to solely work codes and rapid responses.

7. "Understaffed and underpaid"

Current Employee - Registration in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Registration in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Summerlin Hospital part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The majority of co-workers are very nice and I actually do like my manager.

Cons

- Always, always, always understaffed.
    - On-Call/Per-diem folk are not used properly. I mean if it's a real busy day CALL THEM IN. The fact that management is so restricted with hours in a registration department that makes over 300,000 a month in collections for the hospital is ridiculous.
    - Employees that slack off and don't care about the rest of the team kind of ease on by.
    - The work load can be a bit ridiculous especially working in the ER.
    - Patients constantly complain regarding the amount of papers they have to sign. I mean seriously...why should an ER patient have to sign almost 20 pages worth of documents? It's ridiculous.
    - It's all about the collections. Customer service is very secondary.
    - No real part-time positions are available. It's all full-time or per-diem. The CEO has no tolerance for more than 3 per-diems for a staff of 30. And refuses to give us a part-time person on the weekend...which are normally are busiest days...even though we are already more understaffed on the weekend than on the weekdays.
    -WAY underpaid for how much they expect of you.

Just stay away.

Advice to Management

Reconsider staffing and staff more the weekends. Allow management to hire more on-call/per diem workers to help fill gaps. Also hire some part-timers. It's ridiculous not too.

8. "Exhausting and treated like dirt on shoe."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

Pros

The same as any hospital:Job stability and benefits

Cons

patient loads to heavy
    never acknowledged for anything good
    bugdet is #1, not staff license or patient safety.
    they expect you to do things that they themselves could not or would not do.
    supervisors will YELL at you and talk to you like a child in front of others.

Advice to Management

Realize that the people that are on the front line of patient care are the ones making you all that money. While you point out that there are always other people who will do the job, eventually the word will get out about how you treat staff and then you will REALLY be "short staffed". Staff surveys are positive because the majority of the people that are doing them are sitting behind a desk and dont have to worry about retaliation if truthful.

9. "ICU"

I have been working at Summerlin Hospital full-time

Pros

Enjoyable place to work for sure. Great area bosses and great location. I enjoy working here.

Cons

The ICU is not very high acuity will let me say this until I write 20 words. So here is my 30 words.

10. "ER RN"

I worked at Summerlin Hospital part-time

Pros

Great patients, good salary, autonomy

Cons

Too many chiefs not enough indians, 6 different managers in 7 years,
    poor team spirit, understaffed with nursing, not enough time to spend with patients, when extremely busy at least one er manager would stay in her office and come in at 8 and leave at 4.

"I worked in outpatient therapy."

I worked at Summerlin Hospital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pay, benefits, stability, and co workers are all great. I felt valued and respected while working at this facility.

Cons

The front office is quite a bit disorganized. Things get slightly unruly at times due to under management and too little guidene.