Summit Consulting Reviews | Glassdoor

4.5
Summit Consulting Founding Principal and Senior Economist Albert J. Lee
Albert J. Lee

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "A great place to work and learn"

Current Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at Summit Consulting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Excellent work life balance
    - Intellectually stimulating and thought provoking work
    - Beautiful office space
    - Collegiate environment and flexible work schedules
    - Personal growth and development is encouraged and supported

Cons

None so far (joined last month)

Jul 28, 2017 – CEO

Thank you for your feedback. We are always striving to provide meaningful and challenging assignments while maintaining a healthy work-life balance. We are glad you are enjoying the office and... More

2. "Great people and career opportunities"

I have been working at Summit Consulting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great culture, great people to work with, fun environment, opportunities for growth and career development, interesting work, fast-paced work environment, leaders who care about staff

Cons

Takes time to institute change from the top down

Advice to Management

Emphasize career development, capacity development, and training for management

Jul 28, 2017 – CEO

Thank you for your thoughtful feedback, we are happy to have you on the team! We are currently looking into more ways we can train managers to better support staff in their career development so that... More

"Consultant"

I have been working at Summit Consulting part-time

Pros

Great culture and work/life balance.

Cons

None that I can think of at the moment!

Advice to Management

Keep on maintaining your leadership role in your industry by continuing to provide the best services to your clients and most importantly, showing appreciation to your employees who help to make Summit a success!

Jul 28, 2017 – CEO

We appreciate your feedback. We are happy you see our commitment to providing the greatest value for our clients which we couldn’t do without our staff’s enthusiasm and hard work. We are always... More

"Cons outweigh the Pros"

Former Employee - Consultant
    Former Employee - Consultant

I worked at Summit Consulting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great, motivated people work at this company. There's a good social scene. Many of the staff are great friends and spend time together outside of work. You will be challenged. You will work fewer hours per week than the Big Four.

Cons

While great people work at Summit and there are plenty of social events, Summit has a serious culture problem. The environment is highly competitive to the point where it's almost cut-throat. Team leads will hoard work, not sharing with other members of their team, out of fear that other staff members will get promoted before they do. Managers turn a blind eye, acting like they either don't know it's happening or don't want to know it's happening. Promotions are painful because everyone who is not getting promoted is hurt and upset. And this is partially validated - management really struggles with consistently promoting across the company. Favoritism is a big problem and everyone knows it. I honestly don't think it's purposeful, but because management refuses to admit it's a problem, it's going to continue to be a problem. The promotion policies (that you need to be ON some promotion list one year in advance of promotion) are NOT industry standard and they honestly take advantage of staff. If you assign someone Senior Consultant responsibilities on a regular and recurring basis, you need to pay them as a Senior Consultant. Period. Anything less than that is taking advantage of your staff.

Management consistently struggles with being honest and transparent with staff. Many of the staff that work for this company have been there for years. They honestly just want to feel like management has their best interest in mind and yet, it consistently becomes apparent that the best interest of staff is not the driving factor for management. It's a very 'money talks' environment.

The structure of the company is very silo'ed. Instead of encouraging staff to build up a solid resume of skill sets, staff are encouraged to find 1-2 engagements and park it. You literally can't get promoted unless you've worked your way up on an engagement through seniority. People become consultants because they crave variety and this system directly discourages variety.

And finally, the way Summit defines responsibilities at each skill level means that you'll automatically take a demotion if/when you ever leave, and it also suggests that you are underpaid. As an example, a Summit Consultant is most equivalent to a Senior Consultant at other consulting firms. A Summit Senior Consultant is most equivalent to a Manager at other consulting firms. This means that, when you take another position as a Consultant or Senior Consultant, you'll automatically take a demotion in terms of responsibilities.

Advice to Management

Get help managing the company. Culture is SO important for a growing firm and this company needs some immediate help. Think about restructuring how staff are incentivized and promoted. Be an industry leader, not a follower. You don't need to become a mini-Deloitte. There are other management options.

Apr 6, 2017 – CEO

Thank you for taking the time to provide such thoughtful feedback. At Summit, we take employee feedback very seriously and offer many opportunities for our staff to share their thoughts with us... More

"Summit Consulting is the Best!"

Current Employee - Analyst
    Current Employee - Analyst

I have been working at Summit Consulting full-time

Pros

1) Great group of like-minded individuals who enjoy their work.
    2) Summit fosters a great learning environment for analysts and managers alike.
    3) Work-life balance is second to none.

Cons

. . . . . .

Apr 6, 2017 – CEO

Thank you for your comments and your contribution to our culture. We need your input.

"Intelligent People, Great Culture, Diverse Opportunities"

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Washington, DC

I have been working at Summit Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have been working at Summit for a few years and I have seen the company grow and take on new challenges. There are a number of positive qualities that are important to note:

1) The people are intelligent, and great to work with. One of the greatest pleasures of working at Summit is that you get to collaborate with a group of smart, dedicated individuals, who know how to work hard, but also have a good time. You get to learn and share experiences with folks with diverse backgrounds and skills.

2) The work is interesting and engaging. For a growing firm, there are number of opportunities to work on projects in the public and private sector clients across subject areas: health, public finance, regulation, applied statistics and econometrics, program evaluation, and more. Please note however, it can take a year or so of working on a single project before you have the opportunity to work on new engagements, but managers are willing and supportive for you to gain new experiences and learn new skills.

3) Culture Culture Culture. From the very beginning (when I started) Summit has been dedicated to having a culture of growth, opportunity, but most importantly taking care of it's staff. Sometimes is may seem trivial or silly, but these items add up. Summit allows for flexible hours and work environment, a good work-life balance, and supports fun social events such as social sports and happy hours.

Cons

All of these positive items being said, it is important to recognize the areas of improvement.

1) Summit has grappled with the ability to communicate with the staff in an open and transparent way. Like in all relationships, communication is key, and that between management and staff is just as critical. It is the right of the leadership to decide what is necessary to share, however. This issue is usually multi-fold, including timely communication, consistent messages provided to all staff, and most importantly, describing why management is moving forward with the steps they are taking. To the credit of leadership, they are currently taking large steps to address the issues of timeliness and consistent communication. However the third item could use more improvements (see advice for more).

2) Opportunities for growth. This item is a bit of a double edged sword. In some ways Summit is a bit of a teenager, growing in fits and spurts, and still trying to find it's place. While it's great that Summit is still a great place for new opportunities, there are occasional periods of stagnation. While management would like everyone to grow, there are only so many opportunities, and not everyone can be promoted at the same time. This can sometimes lead to feelings of disappointment and resentment: "why can't I get promoted"? Skills and experience are only one component, company growth is another major factor.

Advice to Management

1) Your steps to be more transparent and more communicative are important and well received. Please continue to keep up these policies.

2) Do not promote or provide recognition to those who simply work the most hours. While that may not be the intent, it can feel like that is the main factor.

3) Identifying a policy change is important. Timely and consistent communication is important, and you are currently taking steps to improve that. However, providing the motivation for policy change is often critical. It provides staff more buy in because you are explaining why a change was necessary to begin with. Without that background, you leave staff to their own thoughts, which isn't necessarily the best idea.

4) Employ strategic management (change management) theory. When designing policies, engage change leaders from the staff who are reliable, in touch with the staff, and can provide feedback on the staff's behalf. Like any group, it is good to know that your concerns are being heard and your voice is being represented.

Oct 28, 2016 – CEO

Thank you for taking the time to write such a thoughtful review. We are happy to hear your feedback on our effort to be more transparent and open when sharing changes with staff. We are committed to... More

7. "A great community"

Current Employee - Analyst in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Analyst in Washington, DC

Pros

The team sees value in each team member and the flexibility is great. Great Culture that starts from the top and bottom and meets to create a really neat environment.

Cons

Certain contracts can mean you have to move around a lot. Although I had to fight for a con.

Advice to Management

Keep valuing each team member. It really feels like you value me as a person in addition to being an employee and feel like the support to constantly improve and grow is here.

Oct 28, 2016 – CEO

We appreciate your feedback! We are happy you see our commitment to each staff member as part of our Summit community.

"Intelligent community of consultants"

I have been working at Summit Consulting full-time

Pros

The work at Summit is intellectually rewarding, and the atmosphere strikes a nice balance between warm/familiar and intellectual/professional. The company invests a lot in the skills and growth of its employees. The work-life balance is amazing compared with other consulting firms.

Cons

The level of transparency internally about the organization and its trajectory could be improved to make sure that people feel even more like they're part of a larger team. Promotions are only year-end, so they don't always align well with when they are warranted.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! Continue to hire people that fit the ethos of the organization and we will continue to be a great place to work.

Oct 28, 2016 – CEO

Thank you for your feedback. We are always striving to provide meaningful work that is challenging and leads to the development of new skills and abilities. We love that Summit feels like a community... More

9. "Great Place to Work"

I have been working at Summit Consulting full-time

Pros

After only a few months, I couldn't be happier to be a part of the Summit team. It is a small firm of around 100 people, but there are many great benefits. The work is interesting, the team is great, the building is beautiful, and the snacks are great too.

Cons

I have a difficult time coming up with any real cons after only a few months. It really has been great.

Advice to Management

Continue to treat people with respect. It is one of the best parts of working here is how well you are treated by everyone, including management.

Oct 28, 2016 – CEO

Thank you for your feedback. We are happy to have you on the team and we are glad you are enjoying the space and treats!

10. "Excellent Place to Work"

Pros

Excellent work life balance, many opportunities for advancement, if you are enthusiastic about specific projects you can usually find a way to contribute, management is very approachable, good diversity of projects, management is bought in for career growth for its employees

Cons

Compensation potential is somewhat limited due to work life balance commitment, fairly strong barriers between the two major practice areas, some projects are relatively isolated from the rest of the office and can lead to siloing. Current leadership structure is fairly static and continually evolves to only include specific cohorts of employees.

Advice to Management

Continue to respect the work life balance that has been established as a strong company value. Work to improve staff communication through more consistent messaging across staff levels

Oct 28, 2016 – CEO

Thank you for your feedback. We are glad you are able to experience our commitment to a healthy and sustainable work-life balance at Summit. We are always looking for new ways to ensure that each... More