Summit Credit Union Reviews | Glassdoor

Kim Sponem

"Basic Company Overview"

Former Employee - Member Services Representative in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Member Services Representative in Madison, WI

I worked at Summit Credit Union part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Summit is great at what they do and they truly work for their members. Summit prides themselves on being an active resource and they emphasize financial education and put member needs before their own financial agenda. I was constantly told to "do what is best for the member". In addition, Summit is one of the largest credit unions in Wisconsin and they have the resources to provide for members and their own employees. I personally loved working there. They give off a great vibe and they care for their employees. This company is not a stereotypical financial institution.

Cons

There is very little that I would say I did not like about working at Summit. Teller type jobs are not extraordinarily better here than anywhere else. You are still expected to solicit business and it is hard not to burn out in that role.

Advice to Management

The only advice I have for management is to continue to provide education for employees. I personally felt a little on my own sometimes and I do believe this is a pitfall of the freedom that management attempts to provide for employees.

2. "Nearly 10 years stuck in a Nightmare"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison, WV
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison, WV

I worked at Summit Credit Union full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

nice benefit and compensation package

Cons

Office politics run amock. Get labeled a "trouble-maker" for offering suggestions or criticism of how things are done. Bullied into donating funds to the United Way. Promotions given to those that are liked by management rather than those with merit. Pressured into doing unethical things so the company would receive positive audits. Preach a nice set of values, but the company utterly fails in recognizing them in their culture.

Advice to Management

Stop bullying employees and promote those who do their job well not those that go out bowling with you after work.

"Sr. Universal Banker"

Former Employee - Senior Universal Banker in Hales Corners, WI
    Former Employee - Senior Universal Banker in Hales Corners, WI

I worked at Summit Credit Union (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun and unique place to work

Cons

Benefit plan is very limited, and the lower management is horrible. They do not lead by example and the branches are very segregated.
    Not a very good experience at all.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to how your branch managers are treating their employees..

"Great Benefits"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

Pros

Great Benefits, good work-life balance, good co-workers

Cons

Limited opportunity to move up in Milwaukee. Pay isn't great but the benefits help a lot.

"Mortgage Loan Office Specialist"

Current Employee - Mortgage Loan Office Specialist in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Mortgage Loan Office Specialist in Madison, WI

I have been working at Summit Credit Union full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Amazing benefit package. Also I am given the flexibility to do some of the tasks I enjoy such as seminars and financial education.

Cons

I have been at my income cap since 2011. I am now looking to use the skills from my newly earned degree in Business.

Advice to Management

I feel SCU would benefit from a liaison that works in the learning and development department and focuses only on the mortgage department. Someone that specializes in social media and that person is me.

"Lower Level Management drives away good employees"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

I have been working at Summit Credit Union full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits (5% matching 401k, + additional 5% profit sharing, good insurance), they have overpaid on salary for some outside hires. The senior management only focuses on the consumer side of the business and forgets the other side. The senior management's vision and culture are good, but it can be lost by the lower management.

Cons

Lower level management doesn't like to be challenged, and often threatens you to fire you, some managers do nothing but skype with their family all day, and then blame you for not working hard enough. Those same managers have the thought process of "Do as I say, not as I do" when it comes to following the procedures they try to implement. No room for growth if you're not in a branch.

Advice to Management

Review the managers who have webcams, do surprise audits of the various groups to make sure they all are following the procedures.

"Summit CU"

I have been working at Summit Credit Union full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Passion of employees to provide great service to members. Education opportunities are great.

Cons

Huge management turnover problem due to VP Retail Development.

Advice to Management

Remaining Upper Management afraid to address loss of Branch Managers. Just because we are growing, doesn't mean this shouldn't be a priority.

"Universal Banker"

Current Employee - Universal Banker in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Universal Banker in Madison, WI

I have been working at Summit Credit Union full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Summit truly cares about their members. With a philosophy centered around the people you are serving, you can feel good about the work you do.

Cons

Lenders are required to help out in all areas of the branch. This can be a good thing or a bad thing depending on how much multitasking you enjoy doing.

Advice to Management

Share your positive feedback with your employees. We need to hear that we are doing a good job every now and then.

10. "AMAZING COMPANY TO WORK FOR"

Current Employee - Financial Service Specialist in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Financial Service Specialist in Madison, WI

I have been working at Summit Credit Union full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

GREAT MANAGEMENT. FAMILY ATMOSPHERE WHERE EVERYONE TAKES PART IN DECISIONS AND PLANNING. PAY IS HIGHER THAN MOST COMPETITORS. GREAT PLACE TO LEARN YOUR JOB. TRAINING IS AMAZING. THERE ARE SALES GOALS AS WITH ANY FINANCIAL BUT THEY DON'T SHOVE THEM DOWN YOUR THROAT. IF YOU AREN'T PERFORMING THEY WORK WITH YOU TO HELP YOU HELP THE MEMBERS. YOU DON'T HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT LOSING YOUR JOB EVERYDAY JUST BECAUSE YOU DIDN'T DISPURSE ENOUGH IN LOANS.

Cons

A LOT OF UPWARD MOVEMENT IN THE COMPANY MEANS THAT MANY BRANCHES ARE OFTEN SHORT STAFFED.

Advice to Management

DONT LOSE YOUR FOCUS. SALES ARE IMPORTANT BUT DON'T TURN INTO A SALES MOTIVATED FINANCIAL.

"Most Part, Fantastic company."

I have been working at Summit Credit Union full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very progressive. good training, room for advancement. Talented employees.

Cons

VP Retail. Losing top tier employees rapidly. instead of grooming them for future with credit union, losing them because of short sightedness. Too much power for that position. Very wasteful and leaves a bad image for Credit Union and the Branch.. New Hire Managers quitting in less than 30 days?? Bullying is not a proper management technique.

Advice to Management

Address loss of talent.