Summit Retail Solutions Employee Reviews about "draw"

Updated Jul 10, 2016

Found 6 of over 200 reviews

3.8
Summit Retail Solutions President Chad Powers (no image)
Chad Powers

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
  • "long hours and responsible for all my equipment throughout the week.(in 14 reviews)
  • "They put things in a ledger which doesn't make sense and explain to you how you make commission or why you're not making .(in 8 reviews)
  • "Training can be challenging and direct access to your manager on a daily basis is not possible so you have to rely on your coworkers and mentors.(in 6 reviews)
  • "good news is your manager will help you with a plan if you ask for help.(in 5 reviews)
  • "Way too much travel, rude upper management, and too much stress.(in 3 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Summit Retail Solutions and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "draw"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 2.0
    Former Employee

Get in, put it on your resume', get out

Aug 31, 2015 - Brand Representative
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good opportunity to learn sales, and to figure out if you can make it in a sales position. Easy "vertical mobility"

Cons

Typical work week is Thurs-Sun so bye bye social life. You're going to set up your show Wednesday night and it will take 3 hours but you will only get paid for 1. You're expected to be at your show 45 minutes early, but you don't get to clock those 45 minutes and you still have to subtract your lunch. Roughly 4-5 hours of conference calls during the week, oh and again you can't click these hours. Expect to put in about 55-60 hours a week when you factor drive time, calls, and submitting paperwork, but no worries they'll only pay you for 40. You can pick up overtime Monday thru Wednesday's but all it does is add to your draw. Oh that's right I forgot your "base" of $480 is phantom money because if you don't hit your numbers then your draw goes in the hole. They'll never take money out of your guaranteed $480 but they will drop you to $8 if you miss too many true ups as they call them. Oh and it is never the stores fault, or a slow day it's just your bad attitude.

14 people found this review helpful

President

I am sorry that you had such a negative experience. I agree with you that the retail hours make it more difficult for some people who may have more of a weekend social life. That being said, we are in the retail business and everyone in the retail industry understands the demands of the routine. I disagree with your characterization of the comp/ advance etc. As with any sales job. A sales rep is required to do more than just selling. There is prep time that is all considered part of the job. Most of our brand representatives work without direct supervision. We rely 100% on them to report their hours. We give guidelines regarding set up/ prep time but it is AGAINST company policy to tell a rep told not to log the correct hours. We do find that some reps are more organized than others with respect to the time it takes to do prep. That being said, a rep that is slow on the prep work and does poor sales can struggle to generate enough commission to earn additional commission at the end of the month. NO REP IS EVER “docked” pay. Any pay changes are done with advance notice giving the rep the option to choose not to work. It sounds like this job was just not a good fit. The fact is that the majority of our brand reps are happy and earning additional commission each month. We enjoy a turnover rate well below the industry standard. All that aside, I appreciate the time you took to give this feedback as we will use this to get better as an organization.

2. 1.0
    Former Employee

The Truth about Summit Retail (extremely long - please read)

Dec 12, 2015 -
    Business Outlook

Pros

If all you care about is money and understand that the company will own you once you start working for them, than this job is for you. You will be working seven days a week, 10 - 20 hours of which you will not be paid for. Though, technically, it can be argued that the commission they expect you to earn makes up for that. So, let's break that down. They say you get a base pay of $14 an hour, times 40 hours is $560. Now, they expect $4000 in sales a week, which nets you $800 in commission. But that "base pay" is really a draw, or an advance, from your commission, so that $800 is your full pay. In an average week, you will work about 55 hours, making your true hourly wage for all hours worked, around $14.50. If you are really good at sales, you can make much more that, so this may be a good opportunity for you, provided you don't mind the long hours and seven day work week.

Cons

Corporate culture of lies and deceit It starts with the ad for employment. In the ads, as I'm sure you know, it is stated that the job is 40 hours a week, Thursday through Sunday. Upon being hired, you have training over the phone on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. All of which is unpaid. Your in-store training starts on Friday and lasts until the end of the show on Sunday. After the day ends on Sunday, however, you are expected to help the Rep dismantle the display, and again this is to be done off the clock. Then paperwork needs to be filled out and submitted by 10pm that night, again not paid off. If you are lucky, they will approve an inventory transfer, but don't count on it. Instead, what you will have to do is take the boxes of merchandise and somehow fit them in your car, making you personally responsible for the inventory. A completely unnecessary stress on the employee in this age of advanced logistics, but whether out of greed, or simply not caring about the employees, you become the supply chain. Finally, Monday comes, a day off, right? Wrong. There's a mandatory conference call you have to be on and when you do something for work, it is not a day off. So far, you have worked seven days and been paid for three. Let's start week two, shall we? This is where it really gets fun. Tuesday starts with, you guessed it, another conference call and it gets better from there. Remember the ad said Thursday through Sunday, but shows start on Wednesdays in many stores. That means, on Tuesday night, you have to go into the store to set up your display for the start of your show on Wednesday, off the clock. Now, you have to work a full day Wednesday through Sunday with conference calls on most days. You wind up being on the clock for more than 40 hours, though it is highly discouraged to actually say you worked more than 40 hours and taking the time and a half could potentially cause too high a draw and lead to negative commissions. That's only one example, there are many more. For instance, these statements made by the company in response to someone else's glassdoor review: "We give guidelines regarding set up/ prep time but it is AGAINST company policy to tell a rep told not to log the correct hours." This is incorrect, giving the context. Everyone I spoke to within the company said numerous times that conference calls, compliance paperwork, and prep/dismantling were not to be put on the time card. There is one slight problem with the response from the company. See, the reviewer complained about being told what is considering working hours. Now, the company responded by saying it is against company policy to tell a rep not to log CORRECT hours (since the company put emphasis on against, I'll do the same with correct, for the same reason). They say it is AGAINST company policy to tell a rep to log incorrect hours. What they fail to mention is, based on what management says, it's also AGAINST company policy to add time spent on conference calls (unless already in the store), compliance paperwork, and of course, prep/dismantling to your time card. That basically means it would be INCORRECT to add the hours spent working that the reviewer complained were unpaid to your time sheet. So yes, you are told not to log hours spent working because it is AGAINST company policy to log them in the first place, so if you did, you would be INCORRECTLY logging your hours. So, to invalidate the complaint made by the reviewer, the company lied in its response by only giving you half the information and saying the complaint was untrue, when, in fact, it is true. I was told not to log the hours in question by everyone in the company, more times than I can count. They told you it is against company policy to tell a rep not to log correct hours, except they told you what the correct hours are. They are only the hours spent inside the store in front of customers, that’s it. Everything else is done on your time, not theirs. Then there is this, “NO REP IS EVER “docked” pay. Any pay changes are done with advance notice giving the rep the option to choose not to work.” How this was written with a straight face is beyond me. First off, to put the word docked in quotation marks, when the reviewer did not use the word is immature and arrogant and makes the company look childish and petty. Second, the statement above shows a very poor understanding of the English language. The word, dock, according to the Oxford dictionary, means “to take away part of someone’s wages, etc.” Now, the reviewer made mention of the possibility that if you are not compliant your hourly is reduced from $14 an hour down to $8. In other words, they take away part of your wages, which is the literal definition of the word, docked. The fact that they give notice has no bearing on whether pay is docked or not, all that matters is that part of the wage is taken away. Third, since “docked” was the company’s word, and not the reviewer’s, that shows they know the meaning of the word. Yet, they clearly say no rep is ever docked pay, but reducing base pay from $14 to $8 an hour for non-compliance is taking away part of someone’s wages. To put it another way, the company DOCKS pay for non-compliance. The company goes on to say that any pay changes are done with advanced notice in order to give the rep a choice not to work. Of course, that’s really just a nice way of saying, “We’re going to pay you a lot less money, if don’t like it, you’re fired.” That’s the choice the company is talking about either dealing with it, or quit. This is a company to stay away from; there is no need for this level of dishonesty. Why would you want to work for a company that uses lies, deceit, and manipulation to attract and retain employees? Pay close attention to the five star reviews. Most of them reveal nothing about the company, or they call other people lazy with no work ethic, if they say anything bad about the company. In fact, most sound eerily similar, as if they told what to say. Strange, don’t you think? Also, look at how formal the writing style is in many of those five star reviews. Remember this is a company that preys on college students, and I don’t know too many that would write so formal on something like this without being told. That leads me to believe they are fake, especially the ones that say nothing and give the company five stars.

35 people found this review helpful

President

This review lacks any semblance of objectivity. It has so many factually incorrect statements that I cannot even address them all. Also, it’s clear that this review was written to be hurtful to our company instead of helping a candidate make a good choice or giving the company constructive feedback to improve. All that aside, I thank you for the time it took to write this. I am very proud of our company and the vast majority of the people who work in it. I will take any helpful feedback that I can glean from your post and use it to continue to improve our company to make it more secure and a better place for our employees to thrive. I will attempt to address a few of the more glaring comments you made as well as some things in here that I think have merit. First off, there has never been a time that anyone was REQUIRED to work 7 straight days never mind 7 days and not get paid for them. We have “extended hours” around the holidays (as do ALL companies in the retail field). These extended hours are posted on every employees portal for review. We also work with any employee who has a conflict to work out a strategy. In the cases where any rep has worked 7 straight days, I assure you it was completely voluntary and they received all commissions and overtime due. If you were being told by a manager to do something against policy, the correct path would have been to report it to HR. We have an amazing HR team that values our employees and faces every situation with the utmost integrity. There is NO WAY they would have allowed what you are describing to happen if it were brought to their attention. My direct email address is chad@summitretailsolutionsinc.com. I am the president of the company. Feel free to email me details regarding the manager that told you “not to log your time” etc. I promise it will be dealt with if it happened as you described. I am skeptical because our managers have zero incentive to do what you described. Our policy for how we calculate commission vs hourly is clearly laid out in your employment agreement. There are even example calculations. I have no idea how you could feel misled by this. At no time will any employee ever be paid less than the hourly. Commissions are paid when the commissions exceed the hourly pay. This is a common principle and, as I said, is laid out clearly in the employment document that you signed. It’s also a common principle to demote an employee who is not performing. This usually includes changing the title and compensation on a go-forward-basis. We do this and it is a key part of maintaining the service standards we provide to our retail partners and vendors. Your post seems to suggest that it is somehow deceitful to do this. I would suggest that anyone who does not want to work for a company that would demote people for poor performance should not apply. You are making a big point of conference calls. There has never been a mandatory conference call on a Monday. If there was, you should log your time and be paid for it. Our typical procedure is to have 2 hours of calls the day before we open new stores. Unless it is an extended holiday schedule, this would be on Wednesday. Again, the proper procedure would be to log time if you attended the call. The fact is that we don’t even always take roll call and there is no way to know if you were on the call more than the 30 seconds it takes to say “here”. Because all of our reps work with a high degree of independence, we are dependent on people to self-report. All of our retail reps are working without supervision 90% of the time. It’s hard for me to visualize how we as a company can abuse an employee’s time card/ hours under this model. You also make the comment that we “prey on college students”. The fact is that the average age of our employees is 39 years old as of November 2015. Finally you accuse us of not only telling our employees to write fake reviews but even telling them the exact words to use. This is totally false. By nature people tend to make issues out of negatives. We simply want a balanced view. NEVER would I tell someone what to write or even insinuate that it had to be positive. The fact is we are growing at a rapid pace and a huge percentage of our employees are personal recruits. I hardly think people would be encouraging friends and family to join an organization like you describe. -Chad

3. 1.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Pyramid scheme- don't fall for it no matter how good they make it seem. Would give negative stars if it were possible.

Jul 10, 2016 - Brand Representative in New Bedford, MA
    Business Outlook

Pros

The only pro is that it is over and that I learned what company to not work for

Cons

Where do I start? -100% commission, they make it seem like you get hourly but it is just a draw against commission. - Rotating schedule of a mix of good stores and bad stores making it basically impossible to receive a commission check at the end of the month - Tons of work off the clock and they expect it out of you since it's "your show" - Jerk you around with money. Will start you at $12 and decrease your hourly and then cut hours even if things are completely out of your control - Will call you at all times day and night to talk about your sales - If you request a day or weekend off even months in advance chances are you won't get it - You are completely in charge of your inventory. Meaning you take it home and pay to store their inventory. -If something happens to your inventory, such as a worker at a store forgetting to put the frozen goods back in the freezer they will make you pay for it out of pocket. - EVERYTHING THEY SAY IS A LIE - Another company is taking over shows in BJs, aka no more summit in their biggest store. - They will tell you your sales are embarrassing and it would be a shame if something happened to your show - Conference calls that are unpaid every day you work and on your days off- you can't have something be mandatory if it isn't paid - Want you to spend your own money on copies, zip ties and other things for display - You have to take your display home with you and set it up every week -No sick time or paid time off - They will adjust the hours you clock in even if you worked them - Will work you like a hog for Holidays - Have a funeral and need time off? Forget it - Will tell people to keep frozen goods on their porch in the winter if they don't have room in the freezer. All about the sale of course - They are a pyramid scheme, they work very hard to market themselves as a good company but they are not. Do not believe anything they say. Turnover rate is HUGE. They can't continue as a company if they don't have employees. -If you are no longer working for them they will do everything in their power to help you and will make your life as difficult as possible - They make you sign tons of contracts listing of a bunch of ways they can "legally" take away your pay

19 people found this review helpful
  4. 1.0

So unethical it's laughable

Nov 3, 2014 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

I met some hard-working, good coworkers who were so overqualified and unappreciated it was sad. I met some interesting customers who made the day go by faster. I learned how to never take a good job for granted. I learned In sales you must ask for and get complete transparency in how your compensation will be calculated.

Cons

They explained your compensation would be hourly plus commission. It is NOT! Your hourly rate is an 'advance' or a 'draw' that is then taken out of our total sales. They will try to tell you the company is growing like crazy and the opportunities are endless. The company ISN'T really growing like 'crazy', they constantly have to hire people to replace the ones who leave right away. So don't be fooled. Their retention rate is deplorable. Worst I've ever seen in any company in all my years in the workforce. In order for you to see a dime of commission, you must do at least $700 a day in sales as a brand rep and $860 as a senior brand rep. In my opinion in working for them, your ability to make commission is completely dependent on foot traffic and your market, and you have little to no say in where they send you in your 'pod'. They try to say if you have a great work ethic you can make a lot of money, but working hard for them only put lots of $$$ in their pocket, not mine. The management will try to manipulative you in to thinking a rep put in a low-income area can do just as well as a rep in one of the wealthiest areas. Their motto is 'no excuses'. They offer no vacation, no sick and no holiday pay. They compensate mileage at .30 cents a mile (for anything over 40 miles) when the federal minimum standard is .565 cents a mile.

11 people found this review helpful

President

Thanks for your time submitting this review. I am sorry that you had such a negative experience. You are correct that we have some really great employees. In my interaction with them, I would disagree that they feel unappreciated. It is true that we have hired a lot of people and had some turnover. As hard as we try, we still make mistakes hiring the wrong people at times and not giving the right people enough support. This is a mistake any growing company makes. The fact is that Summit doubled in size and sales from 2012-2013 and tripled from 2013 to 2014. We did more sales by May of 2014 than all of 2013. We are growing like crazy. We are adding major retail partners and brands. Our company is not for everyone. I want to address some of your statements regarding our transparency during the hiring process. We have an orientation call with every new employee that lasts an hour. All we do is review the employment agreement and compensation plan. This call happens before an employee ever works a single hour. The compensation plan is in writing in language that anyone who reads it can clearly understand. It is also posted on our employee portal for any employee to review at any time. We have put many systems in place to ensure we thoroughly explain the compensation plan. Lack of transparency is simply not one of our weaknesses. With regard to sales performance, I also take exception to your comments. The majority of our reps earn commission over the hourly advance. The top 25% come close to doubling the advance with commissions. Your experience would be the exception not the rule. Additionally, we have many examples of top sales reps who come from lower volume markets. We have a major retail partner with stores in Ohio. Ohio is their worst region. We have some of our best performers in Ohio. The stores appreciate the support we give and go out of their way to make sure that our efforts are successful. We have a similar situation in Atlanta. The busier markets have less shelf space and are less supportive often making our reps job more difficult. The fact is that we have low performing reps who complain that they have stores too slow AND that the stores are too busy. This job simply is not for everyone. I assure you that we meet every federal minimum requirement and then some. Very few companies offer entry level hourly employees paid sick days and paid vacation days. We pay better than other companies in our industry and offer benefits. We have a health plan that is BCBS where the company pays 75% of the individual. We also back that up with a FSA account up to $2000 to cover out of pocket expenses. We put tremendous value on our employees. You just can’t expect an entry level position to give benefits like an executive sales position or a management position. Because of our growth in 2014, we are discussing what additional benefits we can give to add value to our employees. It is our philosophy to continue to give value back to our employees as our company grows Thanks, Chad Powers

5. 1.0

Sales

Mar 6, 2016 - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

None, None, None, unless you enjoy working every day, useless meetings (yes they take roll call at the beginning and the end) which is DESIGNED TO ONLY you in the negative against your draw/sales.

Cons

This is a pyramid type of employment. The company offers base pay plus commission. However, they have your base pay DRAWN AGAINST your sales. Therefore, once you go negative and don't make your quota, you will almost never catch up. Why is that???? The company makes you work 7 days a week. There are virtual telephone meetings almost 7 days out of the week. These 7 hours go against your commission draw. They KNOW that this will put you in the negative, as you MUST log your hours for these meetings, which are nothing more than pep talks. How can they count that against your commission when your NOT selling anything during the meetings??? By the way, everything you need to do the job comes out of YOUR pocket. Copies and office supplies, flip charts, easels, pens, pencils, etc.. come out of your pocket. They force you to have a smart phone of your own so that they can do business via texts, emails, spreadsheets, etc. Again, out of your pocket, not to mention your personnel computer. If you do not make your sales goals, and you continue to make your base pay, they will even lower your hourly pay!!!! I know a guy who went from $12.00 an hour to $10.00 as a punishment for not making his sales quota. How can they do that, especially when they make you call in EVERY day for a one hour meeting that is DESIGNED TO DO NOTHING MORE THAN PUT YOU IN A NEGATIVE BALANCE AGAINST YOUR SALES!!!!! These guys/HR/CEO are smart. Did you know that in the state of NY, you cannot work people more than 13 days in a row? It is the LAW. I will be calling the Labor Department and the Attorney general for unfair labor practices and forcing employees to use their own money to support THEIR business. They are absolutely disgusting.

2 people found this review helpful
  6. 1.0

Brand Represntative

Jun 6, 2016 - Brand Representative in Manchester, NH
    Business Outlook

Pros

If you live in a huge city with a lot of wealthy people, you may be successful. There really are not many "pros" with this company or position

Cons

Work long hours but are only compensated for "show hours" Pay is strictly "Draw against commission" Promotions are hard to come by-need to recruit/retain people for awhile A lot of personal money is spent on this job as company keeps diminishing the "expenses" for its employees Travel can be much further away than 45 miles

9 people found this review helpful

Summit Retail Solutions Response

I am sorry to hear that your experience with our company did not satisfy what you were looking for in a position. It is important to have a full understanding on the pay structure, our representatives earn an hourly advance towards their commission. The hourly advance rate is guaranteed, paid out weekly. Once you hit your weekly sales goal and the company is able to recoup the advance you were paid, you then accrue commissions. This allows you to earn beyond that hourly rate. You are never asked to pay a negative balance back, we do not take money out of your pocket. Our sales-minded Representatives are happy to increase their income based on their sales. As most people in this industry are aware, sales is an aggressive field with opportunity for those who are looking to earn a compensation based on their performance. Our company has specific promotion criteria that we share with employees at initial hire as we believe in transparency on what is required at each stage.. The territory structure is organized in which we have a cluster of 5-7 retail locations all that fall within 40-60 miles from one another. We target the center location from each territory to hire representatives to cut the travel down. At times, we do hire representatives that do not fit the POD structure exactly but we preview the territory throughout our three step interview process and review in detail during the final round. We offer accommodations for those representatives that exceed our typically expected travel. If you feel that the company owes you money for personal money spent on items you bought on behalf of the company I encourage to email our HR team (hr@summitretailsolutionsinc.com). Chad

Viewing 1 - 6 of 6 English Reviews