Summit Solutions Reviews | Glassdoor

Chris Homan

"Senior Energy Consultant"

Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in San Mateo, CA

Pros

Summit Solutions provides a supportive environment that encourages leadership, entrepreneurship, professionalism, personal & professional growth. The team atmosphere is amazing, I get to build business with my friends on a daily basis. Definitely a Work hard, Play hard culture!

Cons

Summit Solutions is not the right environment for someone looking for a new "job", or an 8-5 clock in/ clock out type of position.

Advice to Management

Continue to empower your people to push themselves to their potential on a daily basis. We have a lot of growing to do :)

Apr 29, 2015 – President

Thanks for your positive feedback! We are definitely all about leadership development and personal development around here. As long as people are growing personally and professionally, we all do ... More

"Great effort = great results, poor effort = poor results"

Current Employee - Lead Account Manager in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Lead Account Manager in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Summit Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Since the company represents a wide variety of clients, the things learned in training are highly transferable. I came from a corporate sales background where promotions came when someone dies, quits, or gets fired. This company puts the control in my hands, and my promotions were based on MY personal performance. The personal growth is parallel to the professional growth... things like time management, interpersonal communication, goal-setting, and leadership are of the many transferable skills I have learned working here, which have helped me lead a better life outside the office... in my relationships, in my community, and in my personal finances. In under 6 months I was promoted into a leadership position, and I am on pace to be managing my own branch within another 6 months. You get out what you put in.

Cons

I read the negative reviews and can't help but sigh and snicker. Any career that can develop someone from an entry-level position to upper management within a year is going to have intensive training, accountability for results, and a constant push outside your comfort zone. I feel too many people in my generation feel entitled to results without putting the work in (and based on some reviews, without even working here at all), so I'm sorry, but welcome to the real world. My bank account doesn't have emotions, nor do my bills. Regardless of how I "feel" a certain day, I am still responsible to come through for my clients, teammates, and my family.

GREAT EFFORT = GREAT RESULTS, POOR EFFORT = A CRAPPY CAREER CHOICE.

Advice to Management

Thank you for creating a culture that pours its resources into the hardest workers to create expansion opportunities, versus putting its time and energy to create an "everyone is equal" environment.

Apr 29, 2015 – President

Thanks for your review! We love hearing that what our team members learn in the office is transferrable and useful in other important areas of life.

"Door to door sales job. Low pay."

Former Employee - Marketing Associate in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing Associate in San Mateo, CA

Pros

Very entry level job for someone who has not studies beyond high school. I have an MBA and they pulled me into an interview and a day of "training" without describing the actual job at hand, hiding behind the term "B2B".

Cons

-> Asked to drive from one office to another to seil to businesses some software subscription. Most of them look down at you and want to to go away.
    -> You are paid $100 to $200 per week + commission on sales + fuel

Advice to Management

Just be clear about the nature of the job. Do not hide behind marketing gimmicks and waste people's time please.

"Please avoid this company"

Former Employee - Entry Level Sales Representative in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Summit Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Very friendly HR staff
    - They all seemed passionate about their work

Cons

- You basically have to look for clients on your own and there wasn't much training provided for employees as they advertised
    - Extremely low pay; probably lower than minimum wage

Advice to Management

Try to actually put effort into developing your employees

"Desperate"

Former Employee - Entry Level Sales Representative in San Mateo, CA

Pros

Nice people, seem like they care

Cons

Every positive review on here is written by their management team, not by real employees.

If you have a college degree, do not even think about this company.

"if this company is so great where are all of the employees?"

Current Employee - Account Manager in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Summit Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are two companies here that recruit under "summit". The solar company is legit. Make sure you are being considered for the solar side and not the office supplies one.

Cons

I was interviewed for the quill side. Complete joke. Unimpressive people, unimpressive clients, the "opportunity" does not seem real. They say that if you do door to door sales you can run your own company but when I asked how many people from this location have reached that they said "none". Also, NO ONE works here. I think they have 4 people on the office supply side. You see photos of them doing fun things online and either they are photoshopped or they have lost like 100 employees. None of the people in the photos work here. It's so deceiving.

Advice to Management

Update your social media. Relocate somewhere where people can live off of $25k a year. Never gonna work in the Bay Area.

"The company can say what they want, but don't let them fool you. This is a no benefit, door to door sales job."

Former Employee - Account Manager in San Mateo, CA

Pros

You will get hired! But should you take the job? Probably not. Everyone at the company seemed really nice though.

Cons

It is a door to door sales job. There are no healthcare or dental benefits. You work long hours and will be paid on a commission only basis. You drive all over the bay with no gas reimbursement.

Advice to Management

I would recommend for the company to stop marketing a commission only door to door sales job as a management in training position.

Mar 23, 2015 – President

Thanks for your feedback, we just wanted to clear up a few things: 1. We do offer health benefits for many entry-level positions. 2. We do not extend job offers to everyone, only those we feel ... More

"Great people, even greater values and tremendous learning and growth opportunities."

Former Employee - Account Manager in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Summit Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The best reason to work here is the people in the office and the coaching you get from them. The bossman, the admins, the co-workers and other owners are all great people to work with. Everybody is always ready to help you and always ready to coach you on any aspect of business you're interested in. Every week there are competitions to keep employees highly competitive and motivated, and there are extra-curricular activities such as sports nights or just hanging out in a bar, a.k.a, team nights! They coach you on sales, team-building, human resource development, soft skills, hiring, and instill work ethics and the value of goals in your everyday life.

I had an amazing experience with them and will always be grateful to them for coaching and helping me. Anybody who is highly competitive, dynamic, and consider constant growth and learning as key objectives of his/her life should give a shot at this company.

Cons

There is no room for laziness, meager-performance, non-competitiveness, easy-money, or comfort. A little discomfort today will set you for a comfortable life afterwards.

Advice to Management

You guys are doing a great job and heading in the right direction.

Feb 3, 2015 – President

Thanks for your kind words!

"Great People - Misleading Position"

I worked at Summit Solutions full-time

Pros

- The people are friendly and truly make an effort to get to know you.
    - The bosses seem to genuinely care about your success in the company.
    - Lots of training. You're encouraged to ask as many questions as possible. You "shadow" an experienced salesperson throughout the day until you're comfortable going out alone.
    - When in the office, everything is comfortable and casual.

Cons

- You're told that this is a management training job where you first start off in sales, then slowly work up the ladder. The company provides a detailed "ladder" model, but when you ask more questions, you realize that almost no one ends up in an actual managerial position, let alone past the 2nd level. Basically, it's just a door-to-door cold solicitor job.

- ONLY commission-based. I'm not sure how the company manages to keep their employees like this. It's a great trap for recent college grads who can't seem to find a job. Obviously, if you're truly convincing and lucky to find clients who happen to need some office supplies/misc., you'll be able to make a lot of money. Most times, however, your days will be 0-3 sales, possibly only making $40 after commission.

- You have to travel all around the Bay Area, yet you're not compensated for it. Of course, you could write it off on your taxes, but still.

- Very long hours. It's kind of unavoidable, since everyone in the office goes out on their own all day and you have to all meet up or wait for remaining salespeople to get back into the office for an end-of-the-day debrief.

Advice to Management

Having this job simply be commission-based is no better than companies taking advantage of recent graduates with unpaid internships. This might work in areas with cheaper living expenses, but this is the Bay Area. I would not be surprised if there are lots of employees that barely have any money left over after paying rent and bills. Even offering minimum wage on an hourly basis would motivate your employees even more, and allow them to stay with the company.

Also, stop advertising your entry level positions as being administrative management training. You know it's not, and your potential employees will soon figure out that it's not soon enough. Just list your positions like they are - sales. You should also tell your potential employees upfront during the interview that they should be comfortable with cold sales.

Why falsely advertise and not offer a small hourly rate? Stop taking advantage of people, and pay them for their work. The bonus one-on-one training is great, but definitely not worth not getting to pay your rent.

Oct 20, 2014 – President

Thanks for your feedback. We are so glad you had a positive experience with the team and the training process. We're sorry it was not a good fit for you, but we do stand behind our training program ... More

"Hard to say about this one"

Former Employee - Entry Level Sales Representative in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Summit Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1) Fun Boss
    2) Positive working environment
    3) Good people
    4) Really make you feel like you could be something
    5) Fair training
    6) Very good support (from most)

Cons

1) 4 out of 6 Leads tend to just leave you there. Give you a few pointers then say: "Alright-see ya!"
    2) Boss appears to be the only one genuinely invested in your success.
    3) Need to be upfront about the pay. They once advertised $16 an hour and recently started saying "will be discussed".
    4) Rather difficult to be passionate about selling office products and supplies.
    5) Training you get here, you can actually find elsewhere with greater compensation.
    6) Seem to hook those inexperienced in life; naivety is sweet succor to these types of workplaces.
    7) Not for introverts unable to step out of their comfort zone.
    8) If you feel like you could do way better, then you're probably right.

Advice to Management

To the reader: The title to this review is befitting as it is hard to say or give an ultimate verdict on a job like this. I have worked in sales for many years and would simply wish to place this review as a fair warning to those less experienced in this world. Door to door sales is NOT for everyone and you certainly have to have thick skin to make it through. There is virtually no pay and it's mainly, if not, entirely-based off commission. This works great for the company because there is virtually no loss of money should you fail to meet productivity (except the investment of time of course!). You also need to understand that should you get to the level of opening your own branch, the contracts that are rewarded are more like "borrowed hand-me-downs" of which you ultimately have little to no ownership over. To those of you who believe in greater possibilities or have higher ambitions believe in that and allow the world to be your teacher, as it may prove ever more rewarding.
    As for the management, you guys need to be more upfront about what you offer. If anyone appears to not understand the pay, you have to TELL THEM AS CANDIDLY AS POSSIBLE, this is commission, not hourly based. Other than that, you all do a stand up job and are efficient as per your duties and responsibilities. Good luck to you all and may you and Cydcor find success only where it is due. Cheers.

Aug 27, 2014 – President

We appreciate your feedback. We're glad you did enjoy our positive work environment, our team, and our training! To your pt 1) - After about a week of training (sometimes sooner), we do feel that one ... More