Sumner Regional Medical Center Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated March 16, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

1. "Sumner Regional Medical Center"

Former Employee - Staff RN in Gallatin, TN
    Former Employee - Staff RN in Gallatin, TN

I worked at Sumner Regional Medical Center part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Overall the nurses and staff are great. Management does try to recognize employees for achievements.

Cons

Like so many places, the patient load seems to continue to increase to barely manageable levels.

Advice to Management

Realize that quality care and reasonable caregiver to patient ratios go hand in hand.

2. "Prefer not to say"

Former Employee - Prefer Not to Say in Gallatin, TN
    Former Employee - Prefer Not to Say in Gallatin, TN

I worked at Sumner Regional Medical Center full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

A positive environment that's really committed to helping the community. Nice facility. Most staff are really caring. I like that we have community outreach but they are the WRONG programs to help them. The Volunteers do more good than most departments and are overlooked by CEO.

Cons

Challenges of budget constraints and corporate oversight. ER makes too many mistakes that aren't often known to the patients. To many priorities given to directors. Before the sale, these same people were more effective than now.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. They are the ones working with the community and understand the needs. Some directors are incompetent and rely ONLY on their staff to make them look good.

3. "The revolving door"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gallatin, TN

I have been working at Sumner Regional Medical Center full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

All the hours you could possibly want in your lifetime.

Cons

Constantly short staffed. We have not been fully staffed in my department since I started here 3 years ago. This in turn has everyone else picking up the slack and working ridiculous overtime hours. This is an issue is many of the departments in the building.
    The pay is much lower than the surrounding hospitals.
    Admin constantly integrates new ideas and adds more responsibilities and tasks to what you already do, and you are not compensated for the copious amount of extra work being put forth.

Advice to Management

Don't continue to "fix" things that are not broken and also listen to the ideas the staff members are throwing forth. We are often asked what can be done to make our jobs easier and more efficient, but it is always brought to your attention and then immediately forgotten.

5. "Worked at Sumner Regional for years"

Former Employee - Security Officer in Gallatin, TN
    Former Employee - Security Officer in Gallatin, TN

I worked at Sumner Regional Medical Center part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Beautiful Facility - Majority of coworkers are awesome - Benefits are reasonable - PTO is outstanding

Cons

It is a place where it is not what or how much you know, but who you know! Personal evaluations were very unfair (Based on a director who micro-managed the supervisor) Evaluations were made by a director who had not observed associates work ethics all year and/or by a totally new supervisor) Women & age was discriminated against in some areas, regardless of experience or work ethics - I came with 20+ years experience, including management in my field of labor, accompanied by numerous excellent references. New men with less experience would be hired at a higher rate. I had worked directly with one such coworker (trained him) & knew his practices. He was given a $1 per hour raise, when it would have taken me 3 years to receive this amount. I quit willingly, after nearly 8 years of observing such unfair practices. This associate has since been fired, due to his unethical practices. Just one example!

Advice to Management

Spend more time out on the floor, one on one with the associates - Show more care for the working class - Allow them to share problems with no fear of retaliation. Spot check evaluations in all departments. They can make you or break you!

6. "Community-feel with a bright future!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gallatin, TN

I have been working at Sumner Regional Medical Center full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

SRMC is unlike any other hospital. They really put the patients and families first (with the #1 focus on Customer Service), care about their employees (great benefits, competitive pay), and have an outstanding leadership team (Lifepoint CEO of the Year, future growth is BRIGHT - future career opportunities).

Cons

New leadership = Exciting changes, but growing pains. The hospital has a history of doing things the same way. The new leadership team has implemented new strategies to improve the hospital; however, some tenured employees aren't used to change. Overall, the changes are going to help the hospital/system improve their level of care/customer service.

Advice to Management

Continue making each employee feel valued.

7. "Not as nice as it used to be"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Gallatin, TN
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Gallatin, TN

I have been working at Sumner Regional Medical Center part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Other employees have your back and are willing to help you out. Management seems to try to incentivize employees with awards for going above and beyond.

Cons

Ever-increasing nurse-to-patient ratio and endless paperwork and charting make actual patient care less than optimal. We are often understaffed considering the acuity level and numbers of patients.

Advice to Management

Consider acuity levels as well as patient census and adjust staffing accordingly. Find ways to eliminate needless charting and consolidate redundant information.

"Caring people, frequent leadership changes"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gallatin, TN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gallatin, TN

I worked at Sumner Regional Medical Center full-time

Pros

--Workers focused on giving quality care
    --Coworkers care for each other
    --Gives care in areas it's needed

Cons

--Change to for-profit has had big impact
    --Frequent changes in local, higher mgmt
    --unsettled environment
    --big area

9. "A good place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gallatin, TN

Pros

Treated like family, great benefits, great people, close to home

Cons

Not much opportunity for growth in my field

Advice to Management

Try some new methods of employee motivation

10. "Community comfortI"

I have been working at Sumner Regional Medical Center part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Community feel
    Accessible management
    Real people specialties

Cons

Less pay
    Lacking some specialties
    Low prn wages

11. "Sumner Regional Medical Center"

Pros

Part of the LifePoint Health System. Constantly trying to improve presence and reputation as a local regional hospital system that can provide quality care people desire without having to travel into Nashville, TN.

Cons

Lack of team work between different departments of the hospital system. Reduction of staff over the years has lead to high stress and poor moral due to overwork.

Advice to Management

Encourage interaction between departments within the hospital system to help build support and loyalty.