Sun Chemical Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
Rudi Lenz

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Pay well below average, no advancement potential, no communication between groups, people with skills are ignored if they are in a lower position, Sr (in 4 reviews)

• Poor Management, and work environment is unhealthy and unsafe (in 2 reviews)

1. "Extremely Poor Managment Team"

I worked at Sun Chemical full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are some very nice, hard-working, unappreciated employees at Sun Chemical.

Cons

The management team doesn't know what they are doing or how to fix the problems. They have also put regulatory compliance at the lowest possible level of priority.

Advice to Management

Listen to the employees you pay to be subject-matter experts.

2. "Customer Service"

I worked at Sun Chemical full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Received a biweekly pay check

Cons

There's no room for advancement and management is stuck in a time. Business practices are illogical and consistenly exposes the hyprocricies of a dysfunctional company.

Advice to Management

Practice what you preach!

3. "Severely lagging technically"

Former Employee - Scientist (Chemist) in Carlstadt, NJ
    Former Employee - Scientist (Chemist) in Carlstadt, NJ

I worked at Sun Chemical full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very low expectations, the current bar is the front doorstep.

Cons

Pay well below average, no advancement potential, no communication between groups, people with skills are ignored if they are in a lower position, Sr. management dictates but never listens

Advice to Management

Learn the skill sets of your employees, stop hiring outside when you can advance from within and learn to congratulate someone for doing something well.

4. "Customer Service"

I worked at Sun Chemical full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The good would be working in a controlled temperature environment with no physical labor. The food in the cafeteria is great.

Cons

You are monitored on EVERYTHING! How long and when you take a break, how long and when you're at lunch, even how long you're in the restroom! The only people able to move up are the pets of management. You can be more educated and experienced but if you don't kiss butt, you're not the one moving up. I'm just scratching the surface. The place is a joke, will always be a joke.

Advice to Management

The entire management team needs to be replaced. They are all in cahoots with each other. It's time for someone new.

5. "senior development associate"

Former Employee - Senior Dev Assic in Clark, NJ
    Former Employee - Senior Dev Assic in Clark, NJ

I worked at Sun Chemical (More than 5 years)

Pros

For polychrome division, There are None

Cons

Very low salary scale, micromanagement excessive, bully tactics

Advice to Management

Change your attitude, raise salaries to market level

6. "Not a good plance to work"

Former Employee - Senior HUMAN RESOURCES CONSULTANT and ANALYST CONTRACTOR in Parsippany, NJ

I worked at Sun Chemical (Less than a year)

Pros

I can't think of a pro.

Cons

High Stress job with a lot of people getting cussed out at work by managers.

"Great Company except the Atlanta Management Nazis"

Current Employee - Inplant in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Inplant in Atlanta, GA

Pros

All other divisions are extremely fair and pro employee / family. Top of the pay scale, awesome support and training! Quick problem resolution. Midwest and Northeast are top notch Managers

Cons

Atlanta division is run by cut throats. Blatant disregard for onsite Managers putting them out there as a sacrificial lamb. NO respect, always yelling and threatening your job. Unequal disciplinary process as rules and disciplinary actions are only for some workers. Deceptive promises, NO support for technical issues just voice-mail then full retaliation for not calling.

Advice to Management

Division managers need to be consistent. Don't let one run rampant to the point customers start screaming and swearing at the in plant staff. Listen to the people in the customers locations.

8. "Decent company with poor leadership"

Former Employee - Distribution Leader in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Distribution Leader in Chicago, IL

Pros

Well known in the ink industry.
    Co-workers were easy to work with.
    Decent locations and facillities

Cons

VP's have a dis-connect from whats going on in the factory floor. Interview process was done on phone and skype, I never met the VP I reported to face to face until after I started with Sun. This was a HUGE mistake on my part, the VP was the least personable executive I have ever had to deal with. His complete lack of personnel awareness, lead to poor reactions to items he disagreed with in group meeting.

9. "A dying industry"

Former Employee - Materials Scientist in Carlstadt, NJ
    Former Employee - Materials Scientist in Carlstadt, NJ

Pros

There were some great and helpful people I worked with at Sun Chemical, mostly those that were at a similar level to me. The hours were very reasonable (37.5 hour work week) and I very rarely took any work home with me.

Cons

Sun is mainly an ink manufacturer (for industrial printers, not the HP you have at home) and since print is dying so is ink manufacturing. Most of the work going on was not a technical challenge or innovation but rather "cost-out" measures, trying to make products cheaper. They did try to get into printed electronics while I was there as an emerging field, but nobody there had the requisite experience to succeed in that field and I don't think that division has sold a single product yet. While most of the people there were very nice and quite helpful, there were some bad apples that spoiled the barrel. We had one guy who purposely mislabeled common-use materials so nobody else would know what they really were so he could have his own personal stash. This violates so many regulations I don't even know where to begin, but it also sabotages your planned experiments when inventory shows you have 10 kg of a raw material but someone has hidden it. When the plot was found out, there were no consequences for the actions.

Advice to Management

when someone is doing something that is hurting the company and is potentially dangerous, there needs to be some actual consequences. Meanwhile, they make a big show about safety in other regards where no real danger is present. The pay is too low for the discipline and the area in order to attract and retain talented people, so those that remain at this company will always be mediocre employees talent-wise. If you want to start an initiative into a new area you need to hire a critical mass of people with expertise in the field (especially at a management level) in order to succeed.

10. "Good People; Horrible Communication;Lack of vision"

Current Employee - Master Solutions Developer in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Master Solutions Developer in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Sun Chemical full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Most of the people at Sun Chemical are fantastic. It is amazaing what people get done without support from management.

Cons

Upper management is completely dis-engaged from the employees. There is no sense of common goals. Most decisions appear to be reactionary, not proactive

Advice to Management

Share the company's vision; bring back the dropped benefits and holidays.