Sun Life Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Sun Life CEO Dean Connor
Dean Connor

Pros
  • I am allowed to work from home a couple days which helps because I live pretty far away (in 32 reviews)

• very flexible work environment, great people (in 52 reviews)

Cons
  • There should be right people management by the managers or senior management teams (in 20 reviews)

• If I had to think of one thing, it would be the lack of involvement upper management has in the actual running of the call centre (in 12 reviews)

"claims manager"

Former Employee - Claims Manager in Manchester, NH
    Former Employee - Claims Manager in Manchester, NH

I worked at Sun Life full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Co workers were wonderful, NOTHING else positive about entire experience

Cons

Worst company i have ever worked for... Nothing good to say about the politics, treatment of employees, management has no idea how to manage. HR dept and management retaliation.

Advice to Management

Fire most management, All HR and several directors...and start fresh. Hire people that know what they are doing.

"Short Term Disability Case Specialist 1"

Former Employee - Short Term Disability Case Manager in Windsor, CT
    Former Employee - Short Term Disability Case Manager in Windsor, CT

I worked at Sun Life full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Vacation Time
    Benefits
    Bonus
    Telecommuting Opportunities
    Apply for other internal positions after one year of service
    There is nothing else

Cons

Overworked
    Micromanagement
    Unrealistic Expectations

Monthly scorecard is inaccurate. Oftentimes, you are penalized for working on other people's work who are behind as it reflects poorly on your scorecard come the end of the month--the system cannot distinguish between your work and the work of others. Metrics are deeply flawed and should not be used come time for compensation increases. Morale is very low. Turnover is very high. Expectations are unrealistic. Managers are either incompetent and micromanage or incompetent and let their employees do whatever they want. There is rampant favoritisim and inequality. They hire classes of Case Specialists four times per year the turnover is so high. Everyone in the department, including those who have been there for years, hate it. This is not an exaggeration; literally everyone hates this job and department. Period. Not a single individual has a positive thing to say. This is a very disorganized group benefits business seemingly in its infancy as it lacks the technological capabilities, training, and managerial staff to retain talent and maintain morale. This may seem like an appealing position for an entry level young professional, but I cannot emphasize enough how terrible this will be for you. Please look elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Create metrics that are realistic, accurate, and consistently attainable. Do not base raises on a deeply flawed metrics system. Raises should be, at minimum, 3% to keep up with inflation.

"Short term disability claims examiner"

Former Employee - Claims-short Term Disability in Scarborough, ME
    Former Employee - Claims-short Term Disability in Scarborough, ME

I worked at Sun Life full-time

Pros

The Scarborough office is in a convenient location, but that's all I can think of when it comes to positive things for a claims job in the scarborough Maine office.

Cons

The worst worst managers in the Short Term Disability claims department in Scarborough Maine. So unfriendly, and they make their employees cry and feel worthless even though they work so so hard. Micromanaging to the extreme . would come into emails daily like "I watched the numbers like a hawk yesterday and can you tell me what you spent most of your time on, because your production is not where it should be for someone who worked 8 hours " the worst place I've ever worked and I know a lot of people who left the Sunlife in the Short term disability department after a very short amount of time after starting the job due to abuse. We all complained to HR. I hope it made a difference for some of the people who haven't been able to find another job yet.

Advice to Management

What happened to leading by example? You guys are seriously the meanest people I have ever met and worked for.

"SMH"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wellesley Hills, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wellesley Hills, MA

I have been working at Sun Life full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are a few genuinely delightful coworkers. They will always greet you with a smile. Hours are flexible with ability to make up lost hours.

Cons

Management VERY passive aggressive. Assures to face and then back stabs. Emails other management constantly, back and forth, However, never directly addresses the employee.

Advice to Management

Enough with all the pretense. Your affect seems forced and disingenuous. A party, for what ever reason, literally every other week, is decidedly overboard . Some people actually want to go to work and WORK. In addition, if there is problem with an employee, discuss (in private). If there is a perceived issue, ask questions (that is, if you care. like you purport). It's not always what you think.

"Terribly run company - leadership totally lacks vision"

Former Employee - Marketing Product Manager in Wellesley, MA
    Former Employee - Marketing Product Manager in Wellesley, MA

I worked at Sun Life full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Canadian company with overall good life balance

Cons

Terrible compensation package
    Extreme amount of changes from direct and upper management
    Lack of promotion and professional growth. Undergraduates have a better chance to advance their careers faster than those with real world experience.
    Morale is extremely low - even the cafeteria used to be great

"Worst place to work for"

Former Employee - Short Term Disabilities Claims Associate in Portsmouth, NH
    Former Employee - Short Term Disabilities Claims Associate in Portsmouth, NH

I worked at Sun Life full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are no pros to working there.

Cons

Work Load is too much for the claims examiners. Management consistantly makes employees feel worthless. If you do not complete the work they want or if you ask for help. Management will find a reason to write you up. Management leaves on time while the employees are forced to stay and complete claims.

Advice to Management

Your STD department has such high turnover because the supervisors are incompetent slave drivers

"Sun Life US - If you're looking for a positive culture or you're seeking challenging and rewarding work - look elsewhere"

Current Employee - Anonymous in Wellesley, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Wellesley, MA

I have been working at Sun Life full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The benefits and vacation structure are great, and for most of the business areas there is a great work-life balance available for the majority of employees.

Compensation is generally in-line with the industry, but varies highly depending on your manager and business unit.

The majority of peers and co-workers are very friendly and there's a good sense of team.

Cons

The company's larger corporate organization in Canada is extremely stable and consistent. However, the US organization has seen a great deal of uncertainty, strategic direction shifts, and reductions in business lines over the past several years. Future direction and stability in the US is extremely uncertain, and clear communication from senior management is non-existent.

The US organization thrives on form over substance, and opportunities do not exist for hard-working, honest, and talented employees. The most talented team members are singled-out and minimized by managers that do not understand the subject matter or responsibilities of the teams they are managing. Who you know is definitely more important than what you know. Hence all the other reviews here describing that the most talented people leave. (this is absolutely accurate)

If you're looking for punching the clock and low demands on your time and skills, this might be a great fit. But if you're looking for challenging and rewarding work, Sun Life might not be the place for you.

"Poor morale and uncertainty of the future plague workplace"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wellesley, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wellesley, MA

I worked at Sun Life full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible work/life balance where people felt comfortable leaving early or coming in late if they needed to attend to personal business. Free parking and self-contained campus.

Cons

Awful morale. They tend to keep people around who are terrible employees because they are afraid of getting rid of them. In all my years, I have never seen an environment where people could basically get away with anything and not have consequences. Everyone walks around expecting the place to be closed at any time. Horrible brand recognition where "no one still knows your name." No opportunity at all for advancement.

Advice to Management

Corporate structure and environment in Canada is completely different from US. Need to work on US workplace and morale, if you want to continue operating in the US.

"The company is going down. Do no work for it"

Former Employee - Assistant Actuarial Analyst in Wellesley, MA
    Former Employee - Assistant Actuarial Analyst in Wellesley, MA

I worked at Sun Life full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good location, has complementary parking.

Cons

Terrible management. Lots of micro-managers. They don't have a fair/effective performance evaluation system. A lot of office politics going on and there's no good working ethic. The company sold out most of its major business and outsourced lots of functional areas. Therefore, it has frequent lay-offs.

10. "Incompetence, inefficient management, in a Mad Men-like environment"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Wellesley, MA
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Wellesley, MA

I worked at Sun Life as a contractor

Pros

Honestly, I can't think of any reason I'd ever suggest an intelligent person to go work there.

Cons

I was at Sun Life on a short contract, and was very disappointed with my experience. I was worked to the bone, never allowed my legal breaks and was questioned when I left to take even a half-hour lunch. My experience and expertise was constantly questioned, and I felt like asking why they even hired me.

Advice to Management

Advice to Canada: come to the US. Evaluate your management - from AVP's to general managers. You will find major problems. Moral is very low; something needs to be done.