KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Sun Life

Engaged Employer

Sun Life

Add a Review

Sun Life Employee Reviews about "good benefits"

Updated Nov 19, 2020

3.8
Sun Life President  Dan Fishbein (no image)
Dan Fishbein
0 Rating
Pros
  • "Doing very well at maintaining comraderie in a remote work environment(in 111 reviews)

• "Good Benefits (specially Insurance policies)(in 88 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Poor middle management, lots of turnover with senior management(in 27 reviews)

• "Honestly, none: it is a wonderful work environment(in 19 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Gender

This rating reflects the overall rating of Sun Life and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "good benefits"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Good, atmostphere, good benefits

Jul 22, 2012 - Investment Analyst in Wellesley, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good benefits, competitive pay, good people

Cons

Big company negatives, too many non-work related processes and procedures

2. 4.0
      Current Employee

Career cruise control...

Mar 30, 2010 -  in Wellesley Hills, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Excellent work/life balance, low stress job, good training (depending on department), some wonderful people, good benefits, good vacation. Great place for people with families that want a pretty steady 9-5 job and stress free environment. Company is financial more stable than others in the insurance industry.

Cons

People are promoted based on legacy and loyalty to management; don't expect to be promoted unless you give your time (3 years +). Not a great place for <30 as most of employees are older, brand is not well recognized in the US but company is working on improving that. People who try to make the organization better are not recognized as everyone is trying to make the status quo and leave the office by 5. Too many cross-department conflicts.

3. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

It's the People

Oct 6, 2012 -  in Wellesley, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Friendly, welcoming atmosphere for all types of people. - Flexible hours and ability to work from home one or two days a week (may differ by department). Good support for remote workers. - Good benefits package - During large layoffs, they offer good compensation packages and are generally fairly humane about it - Convenient location with attractive facilities - Comparatively stable company for the industry (parent company is one of the top two insurers in Canada and they keep their investments generally conservative) - Ethically-run company (important in the insurance/financial-services industry) - Technology has improved significantly over the years and is looking forward - They've paid out the annual bonus every year since its inception, even during some years when, technically, we didn't meet the required profitability threshold, because senior management felt that it was due to the general economic environment and not a failure on the part of the employees.

Cons

- Too much of US operations is being taken over by Corporate in Canada, which decreases some flexibility and makes for a more bureaucratic atmosphere. Feels more like the US is just a "remote site" rather than the "US home office" we used to be - IT has become too centralized, bureaucratic, and controlling - Needs more opportunities for advancement for "individual contributors" -- if you don't manage people, you can be fairly limited on how high you can advance, in most areas. Two things that are probably true of most companies in similar situations these days: - Rate of change (of various kinds) has been high since it went public and the rate has been accelerating steeply since then.Generally feeling of insecurity about the future of operations in the US (what it will include and whose jobs might be affected) - Pace of work can sometimes be a bit daunting and can require sacrificing some quality in favor of speed.

3 people found this review helpful
    4. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Can be a great company to work for - depending on who you are

Mar 23, 2018 - Anonymous Employee in Windsor, CT
      Business Outlook

Pros

The company has good benefits and good work-life balance. The hours were flexible as long as you work the required weekly hour requirement. This is great for single parents as I was able to begin work after dropping my child off to school. Sun Life offers a lot of community service work. However, the best programs required driving to the home office in Massachusetts which wasn't too bad.

Cons

There was no consistency with management style. Some managers were awesome to work for, supportive, and great leaders. Others were horrible, displayed favoritism, treated some people unfairly, were horrible leaders. Unfortunately, I had a horrible manager who treated me unfairly because I stood up for myself when I felt that I wasn't being treated fairly or if I noticed that others weren't. I performed my job very well and went above and beyond my duties. Yet, I was purposely held back from promotions. People who were less dedicated, with terrible attitudes, and poor performance were constantly being promoted or earned more. If you are a manager's favorite, you get promoted. I used to love going to work, but over time my manager's treatment of me, and the fact that upper management allowed it, made me loathe the place.

9 people found this review helpful
    5. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 8 years

Positive, collaborative culture, but struggling to be successful in this industry following the recession.

Oct 13, 2014 - Anonymous Employee in Wellesley, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Generally friendly culture with good benefits and positive work/life balance. Respectful and professional work environment. Overall training for new hires is good.

Cons

Financial services companies have struggled since the recession, and Sun Life is no different. Last few years have had reorganizations and expense cuts like other insurance companies.

6. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

It’s a great place to work, other than requiring many meetings every week. It makes it hard to really get work done.

Dec 14, 2017 - Senior Consultant in Kansas City, MO
      Business Outlook

Pros

They pay great competitive wages. Contributions are noticed and rewarded. They allow employees to work from remote locations. They have a good benefits package and great vacation benefit.

Cons

Many employees feel micromanaged. Management also schedules numerous meetings each week making it difficult to focus on actual work. While the benefits package is good it is very expensive.

4 people found this review helpful
    7. 3.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Account manager

Feb 9, 2017 - Account Manager in Cleveland, OH
      Business Outlook

Pros

Strong, financially sound company with competitive pay and bonus potential. Quality products. Good benefits. Pleasant aesthetics. Parking pass. Urban location.

Cons

Toxic work environment, manager has favorites. Lack of flexibility. Manager does not follow national job description posted. Micromanaged, scrutinized. Manager failed to give me complete details and tell me that I was hired over another woman in the office for this position which caused painful and abusive office drama.

8. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

It used to be great

May 31, 2016 -  in Norwood, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible and good benefits. It isn't a bad company to work for.

Cons

Management has changed so many times so things aren't as good as they used to be.

9. 4.0
      Current Employee

A good company to work for

Mar 7, 2011 -  in Houston, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Flexibility with work schedules, vacation time, good benefits

Cons

small office environment, some paid parking

10. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Boring Work, Good Envorinment

Sep 7, 2020 - Member Specialist in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

Offices are nice, Work From Home policy very developed even pre-Covid, good benefits, very objective performance metrics that are easy to understand and work with, and nice office chairs (sounds trite but if you have work in an office with cheap chairs you know why this is important), decent opportunity for advancement

Cons

when you start out you can only do a few tasks, and those tasks will get real repetitive real fast, especially when you do them on a time constraint (daily metrics). You need to actively seek out training just for some variety in your day, but that looks good to management so its only half a con. We were told constantly that new computer systems were just on the horizon, but as it stands half the work you do is with awful programs that are slow and clunky to use (not great when time-based metrics are used to grade performance) Because of the culture of Work from Home, you will interact with your coworkers mostly by messenger app. This is fine if you are an introvert, but it also makes the office kind of empty feeling at times, with people barely knowing who each other are. I worked 2 years in the toronto office, learned the name of 2 people not directly in my team, even though I sat next to them at times (unassigned desk space, you just check out whatever desk you want from an app). We are not suppossed to take more than 3 wfh days a week, but i once worked from home for 2 weeks straight and no one noticed. I guess my manager just assumed I wasn't in the office the 2 days a week she was. NOTE: that sort of stuff only flies if your metrics are good, which mine were. My colleague without good metrics couldn't get away with half the stuff I did.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 50 Reviews