Sun Light & Power Reviews | Glassdoor

4.3
Gary Gerber
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Awesome Solar Company that walks the talk"

Current Employee - Director of Operations in Berkeley, CA
    Current Employee - Director of Operations in Berkeley, CA

I have been working at Sun Light & Power full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Friendly and solution oriented company where everyone wants to create the best possible outcome for our customers. We know we are doing this because our customers keep coming back for more, and they tell us it's because they trust us to do it right the first time.

Integrity is a fierce part of the company culture and you see that in the people who work here; we embrace the authenticity of each person. Diversity is our strength. We actually employ a workforce that reflects the people who live in our local communities.

Environmentalism is not just paid lip service, people actually care and show it by riding bikes to work, composting & recycling, and group beach clean up outings, among a long list of actions the people who work here take.

Cons

We've been doing this for so long, sometimes it's hard to change to new processes or systems because what we have is reliable and gets us the result we want; but that leaves us open to threats from the competition. It's something we continue to work on.

Advice to Management

Failure is not bad, Failing to try new things wholeheartedly is.

Managers need to be checking places like Glassdoor so we can make sure we are hearing clear constructive criticism from the people on the front lines.

"On the right track"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA

I have been working at Sun Light & Power full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very diverse and friendly group of people. Passionate about the environment and their mission statement.

Cons

A couple of the Directors are a little too sold on their own out-dated expertise and have stopped supporting their staff's ingenuity. Middle manager's have SLP experience but lack true leadership abilities causing a deep drop in morale.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to the high turnover departments, they are telling you something that needs to be fixed before growth or stability will occur.

"So far so good"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Berkeley, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Berkeley, CA

I have been working at Sun Light & Power full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great team atmosphere, cool people who care about making the world better, very collaborative and supportive culture. Well managed. People work very hard and are respected for their unique strengths and given the opportunity to develop professionally. Plenty of autonomy accompanies responsibility. I'm grateful to be here.

Cons

More intense and demanding work than described. Very cheap with pay benefits and perks. Shabby, grubby facilities.

Advice to Management

Assign each person more accountability for containing costs or increasing velocity and reward people for it with time off or bonuses. Set performance goals and give formal performance evaluations.

Sun Light & Power Response

Nov 13, 2015 – Operations Director

Thanks for your feedback regarding benefits and facilities. We should have more improvements completed by the end of the year to the Project Management & Engineering areas. Additionally we have... More

4. "Great Competency"

Former Employee - Project Manager
    Former Employee - Project Manager

Pros

With more then 35 years experience in Solar Power everybody takes their job serious without taking themselves to serious. Always with the interest to provide best to the customer they are more diligent then bigger competitors. Great engineering department, excellent planning and good management. Good communication and openness for suggestions. Overall - as an employee you could not ask for a better environment. If work satisfaction is primer job objective - this is a great place to work and a great place to get solar installations.

Cons

One con: As a growing company the compensation and benefit lacks behind the industry standard.

Advice to Management

Excellent Management with great concern for employees, customers and bottom line. Feels like family.