Sun Products Corporation Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated May 16, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Hans Van Bylen

Pros
  • good people and lively atmosphere (in 12 reviews)

• Great people and interesting challenging brands to work on (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • The senior management runs in circles around the CEO trying to figure out what he wants thus they are very stressed out (in 4 reviews)

• There is no advancement for hourly employees (in 3 reviews)

"A company owned by an investment company who knows little about manufacturing and cares even less about it's employees."

Current Employee - Tech in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Tech in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Sun Products Corporation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There were never any pros to this company.

Cons

When we were Unilever we were a 50 million case a year capable--now we are a lousy co-packer. Being a union seems to have made us a red headed step-child even though we are not problematic. The company wants to put all their eggs in Bowling Green's basket--they will fall flat. At Baltimore we have one person per line, at their other locations they have many more. We are laying off 53 people on May 10th and as of 2 days before personnel cannot even get that right. Extremely unprofessional in this layoff process. One can only hope it blows up in their collective faces.

Advice to Management

If there is a next contract(highly doubtful) maybe the company should bargain in good faith instead of lying to the union and employees.

"Waste of Time and Poor Compensation"

Former Employee - Regulatory Specialist in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Regulatory Specialist in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Sun Products Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Convenient parking
    Free coffee, tea, hot chocolate
    Some really great go-workers
    Flexible work schedule

Cons

No training program
    Unprofessional Staff
    Overinflated Titles vs. Duties
    Management always wants to "blame someone" for their problems
    Leaders encourage linking corporate travel with personal travel expenses,
    Never learned anything new while manager took credit for everything in department

Advice to Management

Time to do a clean sweep of legacy managers, seriously if you can't pay out a 100% bonus every time, then it's time to do the hard things and stop running business like a bunch of fat kids.

"Used to be a great place to work, purchased by vulture capitalists who want more money NOW."

I have been working at Sun Products Corporation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Steady employment because of union. Highly skilled and intelligent workforce (poorly treated and managed horribly.)

Cons

Vicious cut throat management only interested in immediate returns with no vision toward the future.
    Forced overtime, up to 40+ hours/week. I am not kidding! This year has been better since they hate the union and would rather run poor quality material at inferior plants than allow us to do the great job we did for 50+ years as Unilever.

Advice to Management

Stop listening to marketing and start forcing sales force to do their jobs.
    Stop hiring cronies from companies you just left and giving them and yourselves whopping bonuses for incompetent performance.
    Truly realize the value of what you claim to be your number one asset, your employees and stop treating them like rats on a wheel.

5. "Ooof!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilton, CT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilton, CT

I worked at Sun Products Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are none that I can think of.

Cons

Miserable place to work. No civility. No loyalty from management or to management. If you want to work 40 hours a week and get away with doing little while there, then this is the place for you.

Advice to Management

Resign and let some competent senior management come in to make the (right) decisions that you are not. A new management team might actually be able to make some nimble decisions that will make the company some top and bottom line. Gripped in indecision is no way to manage a company. Hopefully the PE management will see the incompetence of current management and make some changes.

6. "Was good when it was Unilever"

Pros

Decent pay and good people

Cons

Management doesn't listen to its workers

Advice to Management

Pay attention to what your employees have to say

"No formal organized training/ High stress environment"

Former Employee - Customer Supply Chain Specialist in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Customer Supply Chain Specialist in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Sun Products Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some employees in the office were really sweet/ thoughtful. You can learn how to manipulate Microsoft Office like a champ by collaborating with skilled co-workers. Tuition reimbursement and retirement matching plan were great.

Cons

Health benefits and training are terrible/embarrassing. Also, you will not experience freedom on the weekends. As required, I had to carry the company laptop home on weekends and to church on Sundays to answer emails and make sure that trucks were delivering as expected. Most of the managers are arrogant and need to learn humility.

My biggest disappointment: This is an environment in which people love to gossip and make you look at fault for their problems by "throwing you under the bus" without first checking the facts. Co-workers/people in other departments assume the worst and try to cover their apples by writing an email to your manager/ manager's manager. On these emails, they are trying to get you fired without furnishing proof. Many times, I had to provide proof to managers that the Traffic Department or sales staff were at fault for the very mistakes that they were blaming me. I started experiencing heart pains from all the stress that I was encountering.

In conclusion, if you want to advance here and fit into the culture properly, then you should 1. gossip a lot 2. blame other people 3. Not believe in yourself or you will be labeled as arrogant.

Advice to Management

I am not holding any ill feelings toward anyone. The severed relationship between me and SPC was one of the best things that ever happened to me. Shortly after, I found another company that treated me respectfully and now I have the best manager that I could ever ask for.

If you are experiencing the same problems, you might also want to sever the relationship with SPC and enjoy freedom again.

"All Talk and You Must Conform"

I worked at Sun Products Corporation (More than a year)

Pros

Good money. Learned a great deal and very interesting work.

Cons

Treats you like an outsider. No one really talks to you unless its work related. Everyone must act and conform as they are told or they are out. Senior management is only concerned about how it looks rather that what is actually is and most of the senior management can't even handle the copy machine or pull together a report from excel.

Advice to Management

Open you eyes to the hard workers you have in the rank and file. There is great talent there that is just waiting to shine and if you don't encourage that you are going to lose talent and gain a poor reputation.

9. "Sun-A bad experience"

Former Employee - Material Handeler in Bowling Green, KY
    Former Employee - Material Handeler in Bowling Green, KY

I worked at Sun Products Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You can get all the Overtime you want.

Cons

Company is understaffed. Employees are treated like children.

"well....."

Pros

the company closed the plant so it couldn't have been that great of a place to work

Cons

the only good thing was the associates at the facility but management was extremely top heavy

"Beware unethical corporation"

Former Employee - Operator in Bowling Green, KY
    Former Employee - Operator in Bowling Green, KY

I worked at Sun Products Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

12 hour shifts creates an easy work/life balance. Lots of overtime if you want it. On site medical facility makes it great to see a doctor without having copay's.

Cons

Supervisors and managers are not knowledgeable. They sit in the break room while hourly employees do all the work. They are uncaring, beware if you get a terminal illness. The company doesn't want to pay medical expenses and will create issues with your work performance so they can fire you and not have to pay. There is no advancement for hourly employees.

Advice to Management

Give rid of the lazy supervisors and bring in ones that can communicate/work with employees. You need to be more aware of what's going on in your own company and get your head out of the clouds. Unhappy employees produce less. Happy employees increase production. Step up your game and maybe you can get rid of the bad reputation you in the Bowing Green.