Sun Tan City Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.1
Rick Kueber

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Free tanning great discounts great work environment (in 127 reviews)

• Free tanning, discounts on products, flexibility, get a raise or move up when doing good at your job (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • There are definitely tons of cons (as with any other job), and if you ask any Salon Director this question, they'll always give you similar answers (in 19 reviews)

• Dont expect to make more than minimum wage (in 15 reviews)

1. "Salon Director"

I worked at Sun Tan City full-time

Pros

Great Fun Environment! Fast Career Development. Decent bonuses

Cons

Under paid! Poor work/ Life Balance

2. "Great"

Current Employee - Assistant Salon Director
    Current Employee - Assistant Salon Director

I have been working at Sun Tan City full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fast paced, fun customer service position, bonuses, free tanning, product discounts

Cons

Lots of cleaning to do!

3. "Tanning Consultant"

I worked at Sun Tan City part-time

Pros

free tanning, great product discounts

Cons

not enough hours, high turnover for employees

"Fun Job"

I have been working at Sun Tan City full-time

Pros

-Flexible scheduling
    -Room to develop into hire positions

Cons

-Can feel monotonous at times

5. "Do your research."

Former Employee - Tanning Consultant
    Former Employee - Tanning Consultant

I worked at Sun Tan City part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free tanning.
    Discount on product.

Cons

Inconsistency
    Competitive sales
    Not reliable.

Advice to Management

The turn over rate for the salons are crazy. Currently right now, I am the only employee at my salon due to everyone leaving. This job would be a fun job for a car salesman or someone who enjoys sharky sales. You are expected to meet, at times, unrealistic company goals (at least for a tanning salon) in 4 different categories. I worked at a smaller location, therefore I saw the same 40 people almost everyday. The idea with management is to pull a product to try to sell with every client and they will buy from you. This couldn't be further from the truth. This tactic turned clients away from ever wanting to buy from me and even so far as people cancelling their memberships. Some days are great, then there's bad days just like any other job. I have managed to meet and stay above company's expectations. However, with seeing the same people everyday it is NOT my fault if people do not want to buy product. A client confronted me about a situation that occurred before I had even started working at that specific salon. Managers would pull aside TC's and threaten their job if they did not sell product. It was also common that my manager would practically bully clients into buying product or discourage them if they chose not to or couldn't afford it. If we don't make money, our managers don't make money, the regional managers that get to push paperwork and sit in the AC all day don't make money etc... we get paid peanuts for having to be a TC, a janitor, a bed technician and a loss prevention agent. I was constantly having people try to call me in on my one day off and then getting reprimanded by management because I could not cover someone's shift. I do not plan my days off around other employees inconsistent, last minute decisions. I can't necessarily speak for other salons/locations, but I doubt it is any different from what I have experienced. I have worked since I was old enough to and have never been written up at a job until I started working for this company. I was written up for the most ridiculous things. For example, not cleaning the ledges outside our windows and for leaving a box fan on overnight because our AC was out and it was 100+ degrees outside with the heat index. I was punished by having the bonus that I had worked my tail of for, docked from me. The manager is like a Regina George. Everyone hates her, but wants her to like them because she has the power to make their work life miserable. Please do your research on a company before applying. I sure wish I would have in this case.

6. "Love the free tanning, hope for good co-workers"

I worked at Sun Tan City part-time

Pros

Free tanning! Understanding co-workers since they are also college students who need a flexible schedule

Cons

Dramatic environment, more stressful than it needs to be.

Advice to Management

Keep the work drama at a lower level

7. "Not a bad part time job"

Former Employee - Tanning Consultant in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Tanning Consultant in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Sun Tan City part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free tanning, discounts on products, flexibility, get a raise or move up when doing good at your job. Easy job for first timers

Cons

Commission sucked! Get paid little extra when you sold stuff. Had a goal set on daily commission. Annoyed customers trying to sell things. Some rude customersmers.

8. "Sun Tan City Sales Consultant"

I worked at Sun Tan City part-time

Pros

not hard work, flexible with school

Cons

really boring, poor management, was left running the place by myself all of the time due to unreliable coworkers.

Advice to Management

train your managers

9. "Tanning Consultant"

I have been working at Sun Tan City part-time

Pros

Management is super friendly and helpful

Cons

Sometimes you can be over worked

10. "I love this company"

Current Employee - Training Salon Director
    Current Employee - Training Salon Director

I have been working at Sun Tan City full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great pay, benefits, and bonus opportunities! This is a great position for those who want to succeed in their personal career, but also for those who want to watch others blossom into excellent, skilled employees. Free tanning, a flexible schedule, and advancement opportunities are also plentiful.

Cons

There are definitely tons of cons (as with any other job), and if you ask any Salon Director this question, they'll always give you similar answers. But the pros outweigh the cons ten-to-one, and the cons are more nuances. Not everyone is cut out to work in retail, especially in high-traffic stores. I thrive in this environment, but others do not.

Advice to Management

Keep up with the positivity and encouragement! I always say that employees, especially those at the salon level, should be the biggest priority, and I've always had management in this company with that outlook.