Sun Trading Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.8
Kevin Cuttica

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Great place to build a career"

I have been working at Sun Trading full-time

Pros

There is an endless stream of meaningful projects at Sun and new employees are given responsibility right away. Individuals here have agency and can have real, lasting impact towards our goal of improving financial markets.

The people here are really smart and down-to-earth. This is a collaborative environment; you won't get away with sitting alone a your computer until it's time to go home. There are opportunities every day to work with people in all different areas of the organization and all are enthusiastic, helpful and offer interesting perspectives. Everyday is different and most days are fun.

Cons

Sometimes day-to-day maintenance and firefighting can eat up too much of the day. Stay positive, alert, and keep learning.

Occasionally there will be tough problems you need to solve at the end of the day when you’d prefer to go home. 12-hour days happen, but you'll need to work later than that if there is a pressing need to keep the 24 hour/day trading system chugging along.

Advice to Management

Preserve the culture and integrity, keep the focus on good technology and ideas. Markets will continue to evolve and get more efficient, so make sure Sun's software can scale and stay on the forefront of the industry.

"Friends & Family Rejoice"

I have been working at Sun Trading full-time

Pros

If you are part of the small group of friends/family you can never do anything wrong.

Cons

For everybody else, this is not a place to be. I will give you some reasons why.

- If you are an experienced hire, you are only being hired for your ideas that will be taken away from you and will become company property. You will then be fired. This is done, because the friends and family network have no ideas and this is the only way they know how to keep the company afloat.
    - If you have a better way of doing things that are in conflict with the friends and family network, your ideas will NEVER ever see the light of day. This is done because if your ideas are accepted, the incompetence of the friends and family network will be exposed to the owner.
    -The friends and family network will do whatever it takes to present a fairy tale story to the owner and all the employees, who they believe, are chumps and unsuspecting.
    -Excuses for everything. NO accountability, no ownership, no foresight.
    -Too many firings and layoffs and turnover. This has been a history with the company so is a scary place to work.

Advice to Management

This is to the owner. OPEN your eyes to the reality on the ground instead of going on your treks all the time. Good people are gone. Bad people are left. Management team is a disaster.

"Trader"

Former Employee - Trader in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Trader in New York, NY

I worked at Sun Trading full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly colleagues, reasonably good benefits

Cons

Management is inefficient and unfair. When you leave (voluntary or not), they will try to enforce the UNPAID non-compete. Unpaid non-compete is not enforceable but it can scare away potential employers.

"Behind the times in everything"

I have been working at Sun Trading full-time

Pros

Sun was lucky when the financial crises hit as were all PTG firms. That lucky break has now been extrapolated into the future and it is failing.

Cons

Very depressing place to come to work. Why? To start there is nothing exciting going on here. It is a rut over and over and over again. No innovation, no challenging work, no ideas, no leadership, nothing. Second even though the office was renovated a few years ago and we finally got Aereon chairs versus the 1970s throwbacks that we had, the office space is physically depressing. Nothing remotely reeks of forward thinking.

Advice to Management

Action not talk not words. You can only get lucky so many times.

"Not a good experience so far"

Current Employee - Trader in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Trader in New York, NY

I have been working at Sun Trading full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My team mates are trying really hard and trying to overcome all the obstacles that get thrown their way.

Cons

Feel completely left out over here with little or no support. Might as well be self employed because there is no help from Chicago.

Chicago does not share ideas. Keeps technology and ideas to themselves.

Very little teamwork,

Advice to Management

What is it that you want this firm to be? Make up your mind.

"Good, stable company"

I have been working at Sun Trading full-time

Pros

Collaborative Environment, Good work life balance

Cons

Benefits to employees leave room for improvement

"Great opportunity"

Current Employee - Trading in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Trading in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Sun Trading full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

First, a word on all the one-star reviews: Every successful trader and technologist at this firm is constantly recruited by competitors. If I were ever screwed over, I'd be busy making money elsewhere, not creating a dozen email accounts to write angry reviews in stilted prose. Take that for whatever it's worth.

Working here is a tremendous opportunity. If you make significant contributions, there is huge financial upside, but it's also simply fun and challenging to compete in the markets. We are getting better and trying new ideas constantly. You'll get to work with top-notch colleagues across multiple disciplines. If you enjoy solving tough problems, it's an incredibly rewarding job. You have access to tons of data and metrics, and it's easy to build new tools with firm-wide impact.

Our systems are incredibly fast, reliable, and scalable. We are consistently among the highest volume participants on many markets worldwide.

The owners are trustworthy and transparent. They are straight-shooters both within the firm and in the market. We play by the rules. We take risk and our responsibilities in the markets seriously.

Cons

The same things that make this job fun also make it tough. Markets are constantly becoming more efficient. The easy money days are over. You really have to earn it.

Advice to Management

You are on the right track. Keep investing in technology to advance our competitive position.

"senior software engineer"

I have been working at Sun Trading full-time (More than a year)

Pros

lot of freedom , nice people, decent technology

Cons

not much in terms of learning.growth. career opportunities

"not fullfilling"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Sun Trading full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

easy work
    no one bothers me
    come and go as I please
    laid back
    no stress

Cons

under compensated
    under bonused
    not learning new stuff
    boring job
    repetitive
    no satisfaction
    not cutting edge
    falling behind

Advice to Management

every once in a while it is nice to compliment for a job well done

"Bad bad place"

I worked at Sun Trading full-time

Pros

This company never wants to hire people who are too outspoken, creative or non-linear for their own good. So job here is pretty easy - just go along and do not rock the boat. Keep your mouth clammed up and you will survive.

Cons

Speaking up or bucking the status quo gets amazing people fired from their jobs at this place. So if you have great ideas or aspire to greatness, this is not the place for you. Sooner or later you will be let go because you will make some people look really bad, and that is a bad thing for you. If you keep you mouth shut and follow directives handed down to you, you will do just fine.

Advice to Management

Simple question that most people at Sun think but do not ask - "Why can't you just tell us the truth"? Start by being honest and introspective. And get a leadership team that knows what they are doing. You are driving the firm into the abyss.