Sun Trading Reviews | Glassdoor

Sun Trading Reviews

Kevin Cuttica

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "This is done, because the friends and family network have no ideas and this is the only way they know how to keep the company afloat" (in 2 reviews)

"Great place to build a career"

I have been working at Sun Trading full-time

Pros

There is an endless stream of meaningful projects at Sun and new employees are given responsibility right away. Individuals here have agency and can have real, lasting impact towards our goal of improving financial markets.

The people here are really smart and down-to-earth. This is a collaborative environment; you won't get away with sitting alone a your computer until it's time to go home. There are opportunities every day to work with people in all different areas of the organization and all are enthusiastic, helpful and offer interesting perspectives. Everyday is different and most days are fun.

Cons

Sometimes day-to-day maintenance and firefighting can eat up too much of the day. Stay positive, alert, and keep learning.

Occasionally there will be tough problems you need to solve at the end of the day when you’d prefer to go home. 12-hour days happen, but you'll need to work later than that if there is a pressing need to keep the 24 hour/day trading system chugging along.

Advice to Management

Preserve the culture and integrity, keep the focus on good technology and ideas. Markets will continue to evolve and get more efficient, so make sure Sun's software can scale and stay on the forefront of the industry.

2. "Software Developer"

I worked at Sun Trading full-time

Pros

Engaging projects to work with.
    Constantly improving technical environments.
    Good co-workers relationships.

Cons

Somewhat siloed structure.
    Seemed to be in constant cost-cutting mode.
    Acquired by HRT early 2018.

3. "Good place to work and learn"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Sun Trading full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

work life balance is good, and you can learn lots of stuff

Cons

you won't be able to climb up

Advice to Management

Cut the useless

"Nor surprised by what is being said"

I worked at Sun Trading full-time

Pros

If I could find something redeeming about Sun I probably would still work there.

Cons

Pretty much what others are saying. A lot of very clueless people are running the place. Accountability is non existent especially at the highest level. Too much favoritism. Too much turnover. Very little innovation. Lot's of statements being made without any action. (all talk nothing else).

Advice to Management

Quit and maybe Sun will stand a chance.

"Friends & Family Rejoice"

I have been working at Sun Trading full-time

Pros

If you are part of the small group of friends/family you can never do anything wrong.

Cons

For everybody else, this is not a place to be. I will give you some reasons why.

- If you are an experienced hire, you are only being hired for your ideas that will be taken away from you and will become company property. You will then be fired. This is done, because the friends and family network have no ideas and this is the only way they know how to keep the company afloat.
    - If you have a better way of doing things that are in conflict with the friends and family network, your ideas will NEVER ever see the light of day. This is done because if your ideas are accepted, the incompetence of the friends and family network will be exposed to the owner.
    -The friends and family network will do whatever it takes to present a fairy tale story to the owner and all the employees, who they believe, are chumps and unsuspecting.
    -Excuses for everything. NO accountability, no ownership, no foresight.
    -Too many firings and layoffs and turnover. This has been a history with the company so is a scary place to work.

Advice to Management

This is to the owner. OPEN your eyes to the reality on the ground instead of going on your treks all the time. Good people are gone. Bad people are left. Management team is a disaster.

"Trader"

Former Employee - Trader in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Trader in New York, NY

I worked at Sun Trading full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly colleagues, reasonably good benefits

Cons

Management is inefficient and unfair. When you leave (voluntary or not), they will try to enforce the UNPAID non-compete. Unpaid non-compete is not enforceable but it can scare away potential employers.

"Behind the times in everything"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Sun Trading full-time

Pros

Sun was lucky when the financial crises hit as were all PTG firms. That lucky break has now been extrapolated into the future and it is failing.

Cons

Very depressing place to come to work. Why? To start there is nothing exciting going on here. It is a rut over and over and over again. No innovation, no challenging work, no ideas, no leadership, nothing. Second even though the office was renovated a few years ago and we finally got Aereon chairs versus the 1970s throwbacks that we had, the office space is physically depressing. Nothing remotely reeks of forward thinking.

Advice to Management

Action not talk not words. You can only get lucky so many times.

"Not a good experience so far"

Current Employee - Trader in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Trader in New York, NY

I have been working at Sun Trading full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My team mates are trying really hard and trying to overcome all the obstacles that get thrown their way.

Cons

Feel completely left out over here with little or no support. Might as well be self employed because there is no help from Chicago.

Chicago does not share ideas. Keeps technology and ideas to themselves.

Very little teamwork,

Advice to Management

What is it that you want this firm to be? Make up your mind.

"Good, stable company"

I have been working at Sun Trading full-time

Pros

Collaborative Environment, Good work life balance

Cons

Benefits to employees leave room for improvement

"Great opportunity"

Current Employee - Trading in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Trading in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Sun Trading full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

First, a word on all the one-star reviews: Every successful trader and technologist at this firm is constantly recruited by competitors. If I were ever screwed over, I'd be busy making money elsewhere, not creating a dozen email accounts to write angry reviews in stilted prose. Take that for whatever it's worth.

Working here is a tremendous opportunity. If you make significant contributions, there is huge financial upside, but it's also simply fun and challenging to compete in the markets. We are getting better and trying new ideas constantly. You'll get to work with top-notch colleagues across multiple disciplines. If you enjoy solving tough problems, it's an incredibly rewarding job. You have access to tons of data and metrics, and it's easy to build new tools with firm-wide impact.

Our systems are incredibly fast, reliable, and scalable. We are consistently among the highest volume participants on many markets worldwide.

The owners are trustworthy and transparent. They are straight-shooters both within the firm and in the market. We play by the rules. We take risk and our responsibilities in the markets seriously.

Cons

The same things that make this job fun also make it tough. Markets are constantly becoming more efficient. The easy money days are over. You really have to earn it.

Advice to Management

You are on the right track. Keep investing in technology to advance our competitive position.