Sun West Mortgage Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated December 4, 2018

4.0
Pavan Agarwal

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "There are no Pros to this company" (in 11 reviews)

• "Great company with great colleagues working hard to help clients achieve the American Dream- Home Ownership without stress" (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "You need to work hard with little to no training in an environment where you cannot talk to each other or you will be written up for "wasting time"" (in 9 reviews)

• "Most upper management were flew in from India to save money, Sun west has more bad reviews online then Donald Trump" (in 8 reviews)

1. "Current employment review"

Current Employee - Customer Care Level II in Corona, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Care Level II in Corona, CA

I have been working at Sun West Mortgage full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I've worked for Sun West Mortgage Company for almost 7 years. I enjoy coming to work every day. The motto that's shared is, behind every loan, every file, there is a real family that needs our help. That's exactly right!

Every morning we begin our day with a meeting. We go over where we're at and what the goal is. We're given an open floor to ask questions and discuss any options that may improve our ability to better serve our clients and borrowers. We're able to start each day with clear focus on our tasks and expectations. No guess work or lost time. Excellent!!

Cons

If I make a mistake completing a task, I humbly can't make any excuses for it.
    We have KB, SOP, team leads, management, etc. that can guide us at all times and answer any questions.

Advice to Management

It's a note-
    I started my career in the mortgage industry working on the brokers side. I've never worked with a lender that provides direct access to management for assistance or after-hours contacts that can be reached. It didn't matter how strong of a relationship I had with my accountant managers, once 5 pm came, you could not reach anyone. Sun West Mortgage Company is the first company that I’ve seen to provide this kind of customer service. To this very day this is not something I see as "normal ". It is so amazing to work for a company that puts our clients and borrowers first. Where management will give up personal time to assist those who need to speak to someone regardless of what time it is. This is something truly special.

2. "Solid Company, Growth Potential, Promising Future"

I have been working at Sun West Mortgage full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There is definitely room for advancement. I have seen many employees promoted from within since I have worked here. There are so many aspects to get involved with and so much to learn. You work hard, and you will be rewarded. The people are great and management is always available to talk to and help you solve an issue or even listen to your idea of how to make something better. The company gives you all the tools you need to succeed, just gotta have the right attitude and stay focused. Salary is very competitive, location is great, full benefits, free lunches twice a month is a nice perk too. Even got some surprise gift cards lately which is really great, makes you feel appreciated. I have been very fortunate to work here, to learn and grow my knowledge and skills in this industry. The company is solid, job security is very important and I don't ever worry about the doors closing, even in down times they will move you around to keep you employed.

Cons

My main concern has always been with the Checklists. In my own experience and from what others have said they are too long and time consuming and impede on productivity. If you have to use them for everything, maybe they can be reviewed to trim the fat so they are more effective and more of a tool than a constraint.

Advice to Management

I agree with much of the advice from other people, more employee recognition, more communication about the company, better training, better 401k matching, just over all the little things that can be done to make employees excited about work, it's not just a job. Maybe listen more to the people in the trenches, doing the actual work opposed to the ones that aren't or haven't, the employees have a lot to offer too. The efforts made for improvement are very encouraging, looking forward to what's to come.

3. "Awful"

I worked at Sun West Mortgage full-time

Pros

There are no Pros to this company.

Cons

Everything. This is the worst company I’ve ever worked for.

4. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Guaynabo, PR
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Guaynabo, PR

I have been working at Sun West Mortgage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great atmosphere to work in. Friendly co-workers. Great pay and benefits, and a chance for advancement.

Cons

I have nothing negative to say.

5. "Servicing Team"

I have been working at Sun West Mortgage full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Pay and Growth opportunity, Entry level position allows for non-experienced employees to add Mortgage knowledge to their repertoire(Training Provided). Management is very accessible and have open door policies, all the way from team leads to the COO. Company provides lunch twice per month and offers gift cards to employees for positive feedback/reviews.

Cons

May take some acclimating to the company culture for some. No company events or team bonding.

Advice to Management

Keep on doing what you are doing! Maybe offer some more company events team bonding.

"Nice company with opportunities."

Current Employee - Web Developer in Guaynabo, PR
    Current Employee - Web Developer in Guaynabo, PR

I have been working at Sun West Mortgage full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This company give me the opportunity of be part of his family and they gave me the opportunity as soon as I graduated.

Cons

I think a little be more of work and life balance is necessary.

7. "The Sun is Rising at Sun West Mortgage Company"

Current Employee - Divisional Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Divisional Sales Manager

I have been working at Sun West Mortgage full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Privately Held Firm So you can stand out if you are a True Top performer
    NON QM loan Products
    Great internal Teams
    Scenario Desk, Online Application with Set up team Helps reduce time between application and Closing

Cons

You’re expected to work hard, be proactive, responsible and a problem Solver.

Advice to Management

I have been in the mortgage industry for 25 years and have only worked at four different firms. I have worked for a Small Federally charter bank, a Mortgage Broker Company and was a partner in a correspondent lending operation in the north east before coming on board with Sun West. Working at Sun West for the last 4 years has been a great experience. Sun West Mortgage Company is the perfect blend between what you enjoy about a small mortgage company and the depth in product line that the bigger national firms offers. Sun West Mortgage Company makes it easy to reach out to the CEO, Human Resources and other key personal in the management staff. During my time at Sun West, I have come across issues in our process and have help to institute change. The key is the company is privately held, large enough to have plenty of arrows in its quiver, yet nibble enough to make changes quickly with the industry as needed. Management is not 3-4 levels deep, so your voice can be heard. If you have suggestions you will be heard. Sun West is not the same company it was four years ago, they have embraced technology, retail mortgage operations and a true change is our corporate philosophy. “The Sun is Rising at Sun West Mortgage Company”.

8. "Awesome place to work"

Current Employee - Underwriter
    Current Employee - Underwriter

I have been working at Sun West Mortgage full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Competitive environment where hard work is rewarded, busy everyday where one has the chance to learn new things, In house built system that is updated daily, non-micro management environment where you're given the chance to do your best and it feels like management trusts your decisions

Cons

better 401K matching and retirement options

Advice to Management

create a suggestion box where ideas that are used are rewarded for free day tokens. collect 5 tokens get a day off.

9. "Mortgage Loan Officer"

Current Employee - Mortgage Loan Officer in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Mortgage Loan Officer in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Sun West Mortgage full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Company to work with, great benefits, Great Pricing and up to date
    systems to keep your clients on top of the process. Love working here !

Cons

Atmosphere is very competitive giving our line of work

"Sr. Underwriter"

Current Employee - Senior Underwriter in Buena Park, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Underwriter in Buena Park, CA

I have been working at Sun West Mortgage full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have been working with Sun West Mortgage Company for about 3 years. I love the underwriting department. We have monthly training meetings to review any industry or guideline changes and updates. The manager has an open door policy and listens to suggestions and will always return your call within the day if he is not available when you call. We have a lot of support from other teams and are provided with all the tools to do our job. The expectation of the work quantity and quality is clear and very attainable.
    I love working here and hope to be here for as long as they'll have me.

Cons

nothing to comment - there are no cons

Advice to Management

Promote more employee recognition and let employees know they come first. If you take care of your employees, they will take care of your customers and will work harder for you and the company. There is a lot said about customers come first but it needs to be expressed that internal customers are also very important.