Sun West Mortgage Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.6
Pavan Agarwal

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • None there really are no pros except maybe a free lunch they provide the atmosphere is just to oppressive it is no good (in 9 reviews)

• decent benefits - 401k 1% match, affordable insurances, 2 weeks vacation (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • No Training for Processors that would make them successful (in 8 reviews)

• The employees are great people but upper management cares very little about their employees (in 7 reviews)

1. "Loan Officer"

Current Employee - Mortgage Loan Officer in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Mortgage Loan Officer in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Sun West Mortgage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits! retirement, medical, dental, vision
    Paid on time! Every time!
    24 hr company US and India -
    Nationwide Lending - There is no limit to a Licensed Loan Officer

Cons

On the clock - must be on it or expect warnings

Advice to Management

listen to feedback from employees

2. "Sun West"

I worked at Sun West Mortgage full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- decent benefits - 401k 1% match, affordable insurances, 2 weeks vacation
    - higher on pay scale for same role compared to other companies
    - free food 2x month

Cons

- poor company culture
    - poor development and growth

Advice to Management

Spend more time in the hiring process to find more dedicated people. Employee retention has value in a business. Calculate your employee turnover ratio; this is your scorecard for how you are doing.

"Loan Support member"

I worked at Sun West Mortgage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Learned what was needed for home loan closings

Cons

too many memos and limited training

Advice to Management

Provide better training

4. "Very stressful and negative environment."

I worked at Sun West Mortgage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good salary
    Good benefits
    1 hour lunch-break

Cons

You can't talk at all to anyone during the day.
    Unachievable productivity goals and error rate.

Advice to Management

Your employees are human, therefore they aren't perfect. Errors are to be expected and unless it's because of irresponsibility, you shouldn't penalize a person for committing a small mistake. Also, promote a more relaxed working environment. You guys give all the employees anxiety!

5. "Loan Service Specialist"

Former Employee - Loan Servicing Specialist in Cerritos, CA
    Former Employee - Loan Servicing Specialist in Cerritos, CA

I worked at Sun West Mortgage full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits, Pay, and Overtime. You work independently . Management will not bother you unless you need them. I only worked there 7 mo.

Cons

The Company does invest in there employees. The Training was not up to par. They train you very little to known, they place high expectation that gives them a reason to fire you. The time I was there I never saw anyone promoted, but I did see a lot of people fire or was driven to quite. They pay you well and that becomes you motivation to stay. They start writing you up two weeks after your training and they can go as far back as they like in search of errors to write you up on. The company does allow employees to talk to each other. The company make you feel as if you have been outsourced, managers watch you from there home and will send emails informing ( other managers) if people are talking . There turn over rate is high, this is just a job not a career. They only care about numbers. This is not a position you can depend on until retirement. There aren't any career opportunities unless you get close to someone but I don't know who. Work/life balance there is a lot of overtime so its up to you to manage your like and work life. If you are looking for a place you can grow, this IS NOT IT. The atmosphere is hard, backstabbing, stressful, and unforgiving. I interviewed for Customer Service and had two interviews and the last one was with 3 men in the management team and between them they decided to place me in collections without asking. I thought I was being placed in Customer Service, it wasn't until I excepted the offer and was being introduced to my manager I found out I had been placed in Collections. I guess they though " just place her in collection, if she make it fine, but if not oh well" . I don't know about other departments but the Loan Servicing department - You need to think of how bad to you need this job, can you wait for something better- if you can WAIT. Please research the company and the employees feeling and turn around, you will see. While I was there the company was subpoenaed and the CEO was under investigation. The company or manager doesn't teach or train employee on how to help there customers and if you are a senior citizen on a fixed income or a person that gets paid once a month there is no help to prevent late fees unless you pay one month ahead.

Advice to Management

Management ( the company) should invest more into there employees. The company should have a better training program (if they want to stop the turn around time). They should have a better open door policies, if the employee and management cant talk to each other , then how will an open door policy work. Your employee will not feel comfortable.

6. "Cheaper the labor the more they like you, quality is not important to Sun West but money is."

Former Employee - Account Manager in Cerritos, CA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Cerritos, CA

I worked at Sun West Mortgage full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pricing is ok but not for the level of service you receive.

Cons

Most upper management were flew in from India to save money, Sun west has more bad reviews online then Donald Trump. As a mortgage professional I would stay away from these people.

Advice to Management

David take a shower once in a while and try to dress professional, your wardrobe is the same as my 12 year old son.
    Managing partners you will one day realize that all the $ you saved on cheap/inexperienced labour helped other companies like United wholesale take the upper hand and outperform you in every aspect.

"Prepare to be micro managed!"

Former Employee - Loan Officer in Cerritos, CA
    Former Employee - Loan Officer in Cerritos, CA

I worked at Sun West Mortgage full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The portfolio leads were great when I started, but they dried up once rates went up.

Cons

No other lead source beside the portfolio leads. They also severed ties with Costco, so no more Costco leads either.

You are not allowed to have your cell phone out on your desk, or to even look at it while it's hidden in your desk drawer, or to even have it on vibrate mode. They are maniacs about this rule, no joke.

You are not allowed to have small talk with your neighbor/fellow loan officers. The top producing LO was yelled at by a manager for saying hello to me from the water cooler one day. It was ridiculous. Felt like being in trouble in the third grade.

The Cerritos office is disgusting, badly in need of cleaning/remodeling. Lots of bad smells in the office.

The smallest cubicle I've ever seen. They cram 3 mismatched square monitors from 2004 onto the smallest desk you've ever seen.

Advice to Management

Get it together. No one wants to work in a dirty office or to be treated like a child in junior high.

8. "Good Job, Bad Bosses"

Former Employee - Loan Support Specialist in San Juan, PR
    Former Employee - Loan Support Specialist in San Juan, PR

I worked at Sun West Mortgage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Gained knowledge about the mortgage industry and the processes of a mortgage loan. SWMC has license to operate in almost every state/territory (more loans in the pipeline means more work, which may translate into overtime work, and thus OT pay). Good compensation and benefits (health, vision, dental, 401k and life insurance). Good quality working stations provided (chairs, computers, monitors, headset, headphones, telephone, etc.)

Cons

DO NOT WORK FOR THIS COMPANY. THE CEO IS ONE OF THE MOST ARROGANT PERSONS I'VE MET IN MY LIFE. MANAGEMENT IS HORRIBLE. ASK ANYONE WHO WORKS OR HAS WORKED FOR THIS COMPANY AND THEY'LL TELL YOU THE SAME THING (NOT A MANAGEMENT POSITION, MANAGERS WILL MOST LIKELY DIAGREE AS THEY DO NOT HAVE TO PUT UP WITH THEMSELVES)
    Bad training method. Metaphorically speaking, they throw you to the wolves with little to no training in their processes and loan conditions. You have to teach yourself by reading the SOPs, and these are not well written and many things can be misinterpreted, leading to errors, and many things are not in the SOPs and you find out that you had to do something by them giving you an error on your daily audit. Their evaluation method is very poor and instead of noticing any good performances, they always concentrate on the negative aspects of the job performed. They don't give you feedback on things you might be doing wrong to prevent you from doing it again, they just give you an error or a warning. They love giving out warnings. They gave warnings for every nonsense you can imagine. Once they put a notice in the break room saying no one could bring fish for lunch! (WTF?! right?) They have a huge amount of turnover. In the most part, due to these things, lack of training, leads to errors, which leads to warnings, which lead to termination. Some of the people fired, were fired due to not being competent, but the majority of the people were just not given the chance to learn the process. They would fire people based on their performance after just 2 weeks to a month (with little to no training - c'mon!) If you train your new hires well, you would reduce the turnover. Other people just quit because they can't take the abuse and mistreatment from management. Some supervisors and managers are totally incompetent, and just plain morons. After just 3 month of me working their, I knew more of the company's processes than my supervisor and than my manager. They had no team leaders in my department so doubts took a long time to get answered, which in turn delayed the loan.

I could keep on going complaining about this company, its management and CEO, but I won't waste any more of my time or yours. I just say one last thing, if you want to be exploited and receive little to no recognition, go on and work for one of the worst places to work at, Sun West Mortgage Company, Inc.

Advice to Management

"Employees do not quit jobs, they quit bosses"

9. "You can do better!"

Former Employee - Account EXE in Corona, CA
    Former Employee - Account EXE in Corona, CA

I worked at Sun West Mortgage full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Entry level opp to learn the industry.

Cons

Sitting all day. Horrible and non-existent company culture. Only knew my manager's name for the first week, and for an outgoing person, that speaks to the lack of opportunity to develop relationships within the organization. If you don't have a job, sure give this company a whirl, but it's just a stepping stone not a landing place.

Advice to Management

Tell your prospective new hires your retention rate beyond 90 day probation period. People leave good jobs to discover that you're just combing the market and will only retain 1 in 100 new hires.

"Who wrote all the fake 5 star reviews?"

Former Employee - Underwriter/Business Analyst in Cerritos, CA
    Former Employee - Underwriter/Business Analyst in Cerritos, CA

I worked at Sun West Mortgage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I honestly cannot think of any... location in Cerritos is good.

Cons

Misleading job title and recruiting strategy. Low salary and benefits. Non-existent training. Arrogant upper management. Half the employees are based in India and there is absolutely no coaching or career guidance. I wasted a year of my life here...

Advice to Management

Please do not write fake 5 star reviews.