Sun West Mortgage Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.4
Pavan Agarwal

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • None there really are no pros except maybe a free lunch they provide the atmosphere is just to oppressive it is no good (in 10 reviews)

• decent benefits - 401k 1% match, affordable insurances, 2 weeks vacation (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Metaphorically speaking, they throw you to the wolves with little to no training in their processes and loan conditions (in 8 reviews)

• The employees are great people but upper management cares very little about their employees (in 7 reviews)

"Fair"

I have been working at Sun West Mortgage full-time

Pros

Strait foward. Do what is asked of you. Held accountable to your mistakes. Allowed to learn from you mistakes. Management always helpful.

Cons

Constantly buying food for their employees. I don't really care for their selection of food. Usually trendy la vending trucks, typical in n out or bland home style meals.

Advice to Management

Any advice I could give would come outof ignorance. These positions are held for a reason. I can not judge what I do not have experience with at that level.

2. "Be prepared for bad management !"

I worked at Sun West Mortgage full-time

Pros

There were no pros. This job is horrible.

Cons

Working here was very stressful. Management does not care about you. I was pregnant and they fired me knowing I had a dr's note. Even with a note they'll find a way to fire you.

Advice to Management

Pay more attention to your employees. Help them out more. More training is needed. Maybe people won't leave all the time.

3. "worst company ever"

Current Employee - Underwriter
    Current Employee - Underwriter

I have been working at Sun West Mortgage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

my boss knows nothing not to mention could even mention guidance on guidelines other than reading a checklist.. i might as well work for QC or HUD

Cons

my word is more valuable than management and they need someone to come in and set them straight.. the most horrible place I have worked.. I might as well work in a third world company

Advice to Management

how is it that you hire people from India who cant speak English and manage a underwriting department the way you do.. they in no way understand the mortgage business let along how to manage one...
    I am so surprised that you have stayed in business so long and HUD or another institution has not shut you down

4. "Loan Officer"

Current Employee - Mortgage Loan Officer in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Mortgage Loan Officer in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Sun West Mortgage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits! retirement, medical, dental, vision
    Paid on time! Every time!
    24 hr company US and India -
    Nationwide Lending - There is no limit to a Licensed Loan Officer

Cons

On the clock - must be on it or expect warnings

Advice to Management

listen to feedback from employees

5. "Sun West"

I worked at Sun West Mortgage full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- decent benefits - 401k 1% match, affordable insurances, 2 weeks vacation
    - higher on pay scale for same role compared to other companies
    - free food 2x month

Cons

- poor company culture
    - poor development and growth

Advice to Management

Spend more time in the hiring process to find more dedicated people. Employee retention has value in a business. Calculate your employee turnover ratio; this is your scorecard for how you are doing.

"Loan Support member"

Former Employee - Loan Support in Guaynabo, PR

I worked at Sun West Mortgage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Learned what was needed for home loan closings

Cons

too many memos and limited training

Advice to Management

Provide better training

"Very stressful and negative environment."

Former Employee - Loan Support in Guaynabo, PR

I worked at Sun West Mortgage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good salary
    Good benefits
    1 hour lunch-break

Cons

You can't talk at all to anyone during the day.
    Unachievable productivity goals and error rate.

Advice to Management

Your employees are human, therefore they aren't perfect. Errors are to be expected and unless it's because of irresponsibility, you shouldn't penalize a person for committing a small mistake. Also, promote a more relaxed working environment. You guys give all the employees anxiety!

8. "Loan Service Specialist"

Former Employee - Loan Servicing Specialist in Cerritos, CA
    Former Employee - Loan Servicing Specialist in Cerritos, CA

I worked at Sun West Mortgage full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits, Pay, and Overtime. You work independently . Management will not bother you unless you need them. I only worked there 7 mo.

Cons

The Company does invest in there employees. The Training was not up to par. They train you very little to known, they place high expectation that gives them a reason to fire you. The time I was there I never saw anyone promoted, but I did see a lot of people fire or was driven to quite. They pay you well and that becomes you motivation to stay. They start writing you up two weeks after your training and they can go as far back as they like in search of errors to write you up on. The company does allow employees to talk to each other. The company make you feel as if you have been outsourced, managers watch you from there home and will send emails informing ( other managers) if people are talking . There turn over rate is high, this is just a job not a career. They only care about numbers. This is not a position you can depend on until retirement. There aren't any career opportunities unless you get close to someone but I don't know who. Work/life balance there is a lot of overtime so its up to you to manage your like and work life. If you are looking for a place you can grow, this IS NOT IT. The atmosphere is hard, backstabbing, stressful, and unforgiving. I interviewed for Customer Service and had two interviews and the last one was with 3 men in the management team and between them they decided to place me in collections without asking. I thought I was being placed in Customer Service, it wasn't until I excepted the offer and was being introduced to my manager I found out I had been placed in Collections. I guess they though " just place her in collection, if she make it fine, but if not oh well" . I don't know about other departments but the Loan Servicing department - You need to think of how bad to you need this job, can you wait for something better- if you can WAIT. Please research the company and the employees feeling and turn around, you will see. While I was there the company was subpoenaed and the CEO was under investigation. The company or manager doesn't teach or train employee on how to help there customers and if you are a senior citizen on a fixed income or a person that gets paid once a month there is no help to prevent late fees unless you pay one month ahead.

Advice to Management

Management ( the company) should invest more into there employees. The company should have a better training program (if they want to stop the turn around time). They should have a better open door policies, if the employee and management cant talk to each other , then how will an open door policy work. Your employee will not feel comfortable.

"Cheaper the labor the more they like you, quality is not important to Sun West but money is."

Former Employee - Account Manager in Cerritos, CA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Cerritos, CA

I worked at Sun West Mortgage full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pricing is ok but not for the level of service you receive.

Cons

Most upper management were flew in from India to save money, Sun west has more bad reviews online then Donald Trump. As a mortgage professional I would stay away from these people.

Advice to Management

David take a shower once in a while and try to dress professional, your wardrobe is the same as my 12 year old son.
    Managing partners you will one day realize that all the $ you saved on cheap/inexperienced labour helped other companies like United wholesale take the upper hand and outperform you in every aspect.

"Prepare to be micro managed!"

Former Employee - Loan Officer in Cerritos, CA
    Former Employee - Loan Officer in Cerritos, CA

I worked at Sun West Mortgage full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The portfolio leads were great when I started, but they dried up once rates went up.

Cons

No other lead source beside the portfolio leads. They also severed ties with Costco, so no more Costco leads either.

You are not allowed to have your cell phone out on your desk, or to even look at it while it's hidden in your desk drawer, or to even have it on vibrate mode. They are maniacs about this rule, no joke.

You are not allowed to have small talk with your neighbor/fellow loan officers. The top producing LO was yelled at by a manager for saying hello to me from the water cooler one day. It was ridiculous. Felt like being in trouble in the third grade.

The Cerritos office is disgusting, badly in need of cleaning/remodeling. Lots of bad smells in the office.

The smallest cubicle I've ever seen. They cram 3 mismatched square monitors from 2004 onto the smallest desk you've ever seen.

Advice to Management

Get it together. No one wants to work in a dirty office or to be treated like a child in junior high.