Sun West Mortgage Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Pavan Agarwal

Pros
  • There are no pros in working for this company (in 8 reviews)

• We wondered from time to time why no one else around us was staying late or cared as much as we did about the work (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • No Training for Processors that would make them successful (in 7 reviews)

• This company was the most deliberately unethical company I have ever worked for (in 5 reviews)

1. "It's ok. not for everyone"

I have been working at Sun West Mortgage full-time

Pros

The money is ok. bonus helps

Cons

If applying for the Cerritos location, training is done via webinar. There is no trainer onsite. That's if your applying for a processing position. trainer is located at the Corona office. Very small desks. Cannot talk with your other employees for help.

"Fair"

I have been working at Sun West Mortgage full-time

Pros

Strait foward. Do what is asked of you. Held accountable to your mistakes. Allowed to learn from you mistakes. Management always helpful.

Cons

Constantly buying food for their employees. I don't really care for their selection of food. Usually trendy la vending trucks, typical in n out or bland home style meals.

Advice to Management

Any advice I could give would come outof ignorance. These positions are held for a reason. I can not judge what I do not have experience with at that level.

3. "Software Developer"

Former Employee - Software Developer in Cerritos, CA
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Cerritos, CA

I worked at Sun West Mortgage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexibility, good work environment,

Cons

Poor organization skills, poor communication, busy managers with little time to help you

Advice to Management

Have more managers to release workload

5. "review"

Former Employee - Loan Processor in Cerritos, CA
    Former Employee - Loan Processor in Cerritos, CA

I worked at Sun West Mortgage (More than a year)

Pros

learned alot while i was at company. great work envirmoent

Cons

nothing bad to say about company

6. "Uw"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Sun West Mortgage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Remote...management that's knows our job

Cons

Benefits lacking long hours system issues

Advice to Management

Better benefits

7. "Horrible Company"

Former Employee - Senior Underwriter in Cerritos, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Underwriter in Cerritos, CA

I worked at Sun West Mortgage full-time

Pros

Free Parking. Avoid this company. Some employees seem nice, but you would not now as you can not even have a 2 word conversation

Cons

It is obvious that the reviews recently are bogus and not a direct indication of how this company works. In my 25 years in t he mortgage business, believe me when I say this, this place does not run as an effective mortgage business operation . Honestly, I do not think the management has ever worked in the industry. They treat you like you are in prison, ask that you clock out to go to the bathroom, provide you with a checklist to underwrite a file that is like 30 pages long and does not even make sense. Provide you with zero training , just sit you in front of a desk and ask you to read. You can not talk to anyone per the handbook and if you ask a question, be prepared to get frowned upon. I could not run any faster out the door when I could. RUN

Advice to Management

IF you intend to contract people from India, make sure they can speak English. Also I am unsure how you contract people to work on FHA loans and go behind an Underwriter and change decisions or materially affect the underwriting of a loan. I believe that is not allowed per the 4000.1

8. "You are the only limit to the success you can get here"

Pros

Not everyone wants to be tested. Some may just want to do their work, go home on time and come in the next morning to do it again. I landed my first real job at Sun West in 2011. I was disappointed of the facility. I was hoping for a “Googlesqe” environment, but what I got instead was a zany company that felt like a start-up with a bunch of geeks in an old garage.

The building was an old dusty bank building cramped with people and equipment. The floor plan consisted of disorganized cubicles facing different directions with the carpet bubbling up and boxes of printer paper everywhere. The company was hiring and growing super-fast. There were tons of desk moves. It was actually the running joke of the office, “don’t get too comfortable sitting there, they’ll move you tomorrow”. It was true. I lost count after my 20th move in the same year.

On my first day, I was given a desk and a print out of keywords. I was told to do work with those keywords and five years later I’m still here with a mountain of experience under my belt. It definitely wasn’t love at first sight. It took me time to understand and feel like I have found a career home. The executives pushed me to do a better job and weren’t politically correct. They were piercingly straight forward. In my early work, I was told my work was garbage or was asked if I slept in college. There were also those aged employees who laughed at my expense of learning. With this kind of treatment, it was easy to get discouraged and to fall into someone’s blank stare of how uneducated I seemed at the time. However, I never felt disparaged or belittled. It didn’t bother me nor did the uncensored feedback. I just wanted to learn.

More than not, I did wish for someone to tell me exactly how they wanted something done just to end the circle of reviews and move on to an easier day. It was puzzling. I would receive feedback only to be told “it’s still not right”. I’d work without even knowing if what I was doing was right or if I was indeed wasting my time. I realize now that if they have told me what to do I wouldn’t have learned anything. They were actually paying for me to try and make mistakes over and over again until I got it right. During those frustrated moments, I was outraged at the company’s “off you go” mentally or “ASAP”, “SOP” terms. I laugh at the thoughts now but I wasn’t laughing then. Over time and watching others around the office, I noticed that most people were happy to dodge the Executive’s review. However, I was privileged to be learning things so first hand.
    With the many department moves and the number of people that quickly grew outside of this tiny building, it was obvious the company was growing fast. In return, I was learning fast. We literally extended across the parking lot and leased some office space for people to sit. The perk was a sense of belonging and growing with the company but the downside was that your desk got smaller, your proximity of the person next to you got smaller and there were times when people wanted to have a meeting – personal space was nonexistent. Out of this environment came a sort of humor about the whole situation.

I didn’t care about where I sat anymore and became one of the lucky ones to move across the parking lot to the other building. Before this time, most of my work had been alone but with the move to the other building came a move of me sitting right next to my counterpart in the department. We butted heads and didn’t think alike but eventually our minds linked. Soon the office became fun and the mountain of work was enjoyable. I began to have a natural good attitude toward the work and wanted to do the job well.

I turned the feedback I was receiving about my work into anticipated steps or questions I knew I had to cover in my work. As a result, I prepared my work with more attentiveness and detail. Soon, the simple questions that were asked were covered in my work and a whole new level of questioning and feedback was received. I strived to be one step ahead and gauge what I thought the executives might ask me. I expanded the simple task of “writing something” to include what those words meant to the company’s overall operation and work flow. Step by step, I was learning that every detail in a simple task was a part of the broad scope of running a business.
    To survive the mountain of work and the personnel that insisted their items were priority over anything else, we consumed a lot of seaweed and Monster. We laughed at everyone around us and overheard funny conversations. Some managers would say silly things like “listen, listen to me now” or they would complain about how hot their “closet” of an office was. In fact, even they refused to sit in a no-AC, no-window office with business cards on the floor. Sitting so close to the next person, made for a lot of personal happenings you wouldn’t normally experience in a bigger place. People falling out of their seats, smelly instant Shrimp soup breakfasts, managers telling their wife they’ll be home in 10 and leaving 2 hours later. It was very hard at times not to laugh out loud. In this slew of curry, lemon bars and that basketball game that never happened, we became so committed with getting work done and adopted a diet of seaweed and Monster. We were ready to stay into the evening, Halloween and all. We wondered from time to time why no one else around us was staying late or cared as much as we did about the work.

I’m not a person who generally fails at something without at least trying and I looked at working here with the same attitude. I grew receptive of everything and everyone around me and accepted that work was a reflection of me. One in which I wanted to be perceived as thorough, complete and accomplished. I now have a feeling of confidence that I will learn and overcome whatever task is given to me in whatever role. I’m curious about what I’m assigned and wonder the story behind what I’m looking at. Whether it’s a document, a numerical answer on a paper or a report, I think of its conclusion and the process that followed before it was considered “complete”.
    Most days I still feel like I’m in school. I write notes, listen to lessons and research. I was timid when I first started. I didn’t know if what I was doing or asking was right. I soaked everything in and learned from everyone around me. To this day I still get assigned tasks I have no clue of what to do with at first but I now know the path to take in “figuring it out”.

The executives of the company are accessible to a degree. They will not hold your hand but if you meet them half way, they will help you. It’s by the guidance provided here that I’ve learned plenty from business to learning about myself as a professional. I’ve learned to conquer the assignments that once outraged me and I’ve gained a feeling of accomplishment. Some of my questions still might be dumb but I still ask anyway.

The company is still growing and we’ve since moved to a nice large facility with a café, security and tons of lunch spots around us. I was never one to fall into the work gossip and I still don’t. Naturally, there are some employees who complain about why the lunches aren’t nicer or why they don’t get a Christmas gift but there will always be something to complain about. It’s not easy every day to be at “work”, you’ll get discouraged at the communication level sometimes but things get a lot better with a good attitude.

In the beginning, it’s wasn’t a glamorous looking company. I started here wondering if anyone even knew I was here. I also wanted more information than what I was given at first but there were so many opportunities here that I stayed. The opportunity came with an open platform to pave my own way and still does. Here you place your own limit to success. You can be a person who comes in to follow a checklist, clock in and out and do the same thing tomorrow or you can be a person who takes advantage of what the company offers. You’ll learn the technical skills of the mortgage banking industry that can take you anywhere in this trillion dollar industry. You’ll also learn the general business skills that you can take to any industry.

Read, write, and think, it’s simple - just don’t mix seaweed and Monster while doing it.

Cons

There is a lot of work.

9. "Scanning"

I worked at Sun West Mortgage full-time

Pros

The pro is you get paid if you like minimum wage

Cons

Unless you're desperate for a job don't do it

Advice to Management

They're double X in double minded they need to be on one Accord they work their people to the Bone and they don't care

10. "Work hard, have a good attitude and you'll go far"

I have been working at Sun West Mortgage full-time

Pros

Here you place your own limit to success. You’ll learn the technical skills of the mortgage banking industry that can take you anywhere in this trillion dollar industry. You’ll also learn the general business skills that you can take to any industry.

Cons

There is a lot of work. 5 or so years ago,, it’s wasn’t a good looking company but its much better now. I started here wondering if anyone even knew I was here. I also wanted more information than what I was given at first but there were so many opportunities here that I stayed.

"Work hard, but get paid well"

Current Employee - Senior Underwriter in Blaine, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Underwriter in Blaine, WA

I have been working at Sun West Mortgage full-time

Pros

SWMC offers pretty much every loan program out there, so you will expand your knowledge of the industry greatly!

There is also a very large, detailed Knowledge Base chalk full of guidelines and case studies and feedback from the various industries, so if you come across a "gray area" in your file, you can receive guidance.

Productivity expectations are clear, monitored and reported to you daily. Some would say this is a con, but I find it reassuring and adds to my sense of job security.

There is a very thorough QC team that re-checks your work. Again, some would say this is a con because they don't like responding to the QC feedback, but I find a great deal of peace of mind in knowing there is a second set of eyes on my files. We are all human and can make the occasional error. As underwriters, our occasional errors, can cost the company a great deal of money, so I definitely don't mind the extra support. With the amount of volume that SWMC does and with remote Underwriters, I also certainly understand management's need for extra-thorough QC.

Cons

The company does expect a higher-than-average amount of productivity from it's employees. This is certainly not the type of company that will let you skirt by on doing just the minimum. New employees are often hired at an average rate for their position, but once you've proven to the company that you are a self-directed employee who is willing to work hard, your compensation increases to a higher-than-average rate for the position.

Advice to Management

I would like to see some better benefits. There is no 401k matching and the health insurance cost for anyone but yourself seems excessively high. Salary is only one thing long-term career-oriented people are looking for. A bump in benefits would make the company more attractive to this type of employee, both for new hires and retaining current employees.