SunEdison Reviews | Glassdoor

2.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
SunEdison President & Chief Executive Officer Ahmad R. Chatila
Ahmad R. Chatila

Pros
  • Employees have a work-life balance (in 14 reviews)

• This company is paving the way towards renewable energy which makes a difference (in 28 reviews)

1. "Nice place to work"

Former Employee - Ruby On Rails Developer in Belmont, CA
    Former Employee - Ruby On Rails Developer in Belmont, CA

I worked at SunEdison full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nearly every developer I worked with had made some major contributions to major software projects in the silicon valley - a lot of veterans

Immediate opportunity to make contributions to code-base and own projects

Absolutely beautiful building and location

3 weeks vacation, medical, dental available immediately after getting hired

Unlike most companies, they respected and even found honorable my getting fired from previous job as a result of standing up to nepotism in previous company - they wanted to guard against this in their own company as well - and while I was with the company for 11 months I saw no nepotism or favoritism whatsoever.

Opportunity to work on agile or non-agile teams

Good designers to work with

When my boss and mentor left the company four months after starting, I was quickly assigned a new manager

Cons

Since MEMC acquirement company uses CIGNA insurance which is difficult to find good specialty doctors for in CA

Too many technologies used in many cases for no good reason - should use smaller set of technologies in system to make things simpler

Advice to Management

Give stock options to developers - besides that you are doing a good job

2. "Research Collaboration with SunEdison"

Pros

Great engineers, passionate about semiconductor industry, always strive for the cutting-edged technology

Cons

The working environment in St. Peters site could be better.

3. "Culture is the key!"

Current Employee - Director in Belmont, CA
    Current Employee - Director in Belmont, CA

I have been working at SunEdison full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I joined SunEdison this year and it has been an amazing experience. I had heard from the SunEdison employees that recruited me to the company how great the culture is here and they were spot on! The senior leaders walk the talk and their involvement permiates throughout the organization. My coworkers are fantastic! They are smart, talented professionals that are gracious, humble and extremely helpful. Together we win is not just a saying around here...it is true!

Cons

The only con is that I didn't join SunEdison sooner!

Advice to Management

Keep up the focus on driving the world class culture! It is making a measurable difference!

5. "Dramatic transformation in the past 5 years"

Current Employee - Business Development in Silver Spring, MD
    Current Employee - Business Development in Silver Spring, MD

I have been working at SunEdison full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company has been on a journey and dramatically transformed itself since the low point in 2012. Everything from top to bottom is being overhauled - leadership, culture, benefits, employee development, etc. SunEdison has always benefited by attracting incredibly talented and passionate people, now they're starting to succeed in retaining them!

Cons

Pace of change. If you're not comfortable with incredible amount of change, then don't work here (or in the solar industry). SunEdison is also an intense place to work, don't join this company expecting a 9-5 job.

Advice to Management

Keep developing middle management. Executive leadership team is strong, middle management needs more development.

6. "World class talent and problem-solvers"

Current Employee - Director, Operational Excellence in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Director, Operational Excellence in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at SunEdison full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Energetic, execution-oriented people. We act and work as a team to accomplish aggressive targets. Senior management provides a lot of Lean, Proj mgmt, and Culture training, and walks the walk.

Cons

While we're quickly building the systems to enable growth, it is a challenge in the current state.

7. "I am proud to work at SunEdison"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Belmont, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Belmont, CA

I have been working at SunEdison full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

SunEdison has a clear purpose ... to transform lives through innovation
    I feel make a difference here
    I also feel the work we're doing makes a difference, for the world and for the people
    Lots of opportunity, both for growth and for innovation

Cons

Growing at 90% CAGR can be demanding on the people
    Global depolyment means early morning and late night calls, often impacting family time
    Decision making can be fuzzy at times, but it is improving

Advice to Management

Communicate more often - we're growing fast and often the news is not shared in a systematic way
    Continue to support and live the culture

8. "Fast-paced, lots of opportunity, expect to work hard"

I have been working at SunEdison full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The leadership of the company really listens to the employees and empowers them to make a difference. When a lot of other companies are eliminating benefits, SunEdison is adding more and actively listening to employees to determine how to create an even better work environment.

Cons

Everyone is moving so fast that you don't connect with a lot of people. It would be nice if there were more opportunities to breathe.

"Very lively company with many opportunities for growth"

Current Employee - Senior Accountant in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Senior Accountant in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at SunEdison full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This company really encourages innovation within every aspect of the business.
    Lots of promotions internally, and managers are usually available to give feedback.
    Salary and Benefits are respectable.

Cons

The hours can be long at times.
    Sometimes there is so much going on, it's hard to prioritize.

Advice to Management

Keep giving employees the feedback they need for success, and you will see things continue to improve.

10. "An exciting, fast growth company with a lot of opportunity to make an impact."

I have been working at SunEdison full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This company is a leader in renewable energy. The CEO and leadership team care about the organization. The culture which focusses on working together to win and creating an environment where we can all be at our best continues to improve. It is the foundation for our current success and our future plans. When many companies are cutting benefits, SunEdison is looking to improve benefits. SunEdison is always doing new and innovative things so it is a great place if you love to continue learning. It is exciting to be part of something that is truly transformational in the Energy industry. SunEdison also has an innovative program to connect employees to social projects to improve lives around the world.

Cons

Fast pace, fast growth means consistent change. Sometimes it is hard to know what to focus on. .

11. "Greatest Company to Work For"

Current Employee - Director of Business Operations in Beltsville, MD
    Current Employee - Director of Business Operations in Beltsville, MD

I have been working at SunEdison full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

SunEdison is by far the most dynamic, employee development oriented company I worked for. Our company strive on its workforce diversity and ability to come togehter as a team and drive results.
    SunEdison is very committed to develop a strong corporate culture, in which "Together we Win" attitude is engrained in our DNA. People are empowered and accountable, the Management is always receptive to everyone's input.
    The company's Leadership Team is very competent, and implemented a winning strategy that positioned SunEdison as the indistry leader.

Cons

I cannot think of cons, since we have too much excitement. You have to be prepared to travel, work hard and embrace our culture if you want to join our team. Hardly a con.

Advice to Management

I have been in at least six to seven companies, from pre-revenue startups to multi-billion multi-national corporation.
    I can say to our Management: Stay the course, continue to work hard in forging a strong winning and values based culture, keep leading the industry with a gam changing vision.