SunGard Consulting Services Reviews in Houston, TX | Glassdoor

3.6
SunGard Consulting Services CEO Russell Fradin
Russell Fradin

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good company for entry level work, College hires get great training to prepare them for the consulting work (in 4 reviews)

• The ATS group was a good group, with lots of opportunities (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • At 4-5 one must be gone in order to obtain the desired salary and career growth opportunities (in 4 reviews)

• Billability is critical, and they couldn't keep me billable (in 2 reviews)

1. "Senior manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at SunGard Consulting Services full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Deliver projects in small teams to learn more on a daily basis

Cons

Lack of Hiring opportunities which leads to slower growth

"Small consulting arm of a Large software company"

Former Employee - Principal in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Principal in Houston, TX

Pros

Good company for entry level work, College hires get great training to prepare them for the consulting work. Focus on energy and utilities. Salaries are on par with other consulting companies.

Cons

Growth opportunities are very limited. Especially at higher levels and it is not based on how well you perform, but dependent on the leverage model. Hard to get promoted to Principal or Partner levels. If you are not getting promotion, your annual increases could be 1% or less.

Advice to Management

Hire more "Hunters" to Sell more... Expand the client base so you can create more leverage and opportunities for current employees. Take care of your people. In consulting business your number one asset are your people.

3. "Lead Senior Consultant"

Current Employee - Lead Senior Consultant .NET Architect/Developer in Houston, TX

I have been working at SunGard Consulting Services full-time

Pros

Incredible pay compared to others like IBM, Google, Apple, SCS Pays more
    Great opportunities to learn enterprise technology

Cons

Micromanagement for all levels below partner
    Titles are exaggerated and are only worth for marketing and billing the client.
    The company is top heavy, too many chiefs and no Indians.

Advice to Management

Revise the title structure and promote only on merit

4. "Big Company Perks and Expertise, Beautique firm Culture"

Current Employee - Consultant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Consultant in Houston, TX

I have been working at SunGard Consulting Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

What I like most about SCS is that I love the variety that comes with consulting, but the idea of working for a Big 4 where I am one of a herd of people on a project, limiting my exposure doesn't really appeal to me. SCS has smaller projects, but with solid clients that bring us in for our subject matter expertise, versus needing people in droves. For me it translates into more interesting work. I have the work life balance that is important to me, and my co-workers have become friends and mentors. There have been some recent leadership changes, but look forward to seeing where we go from here.

Cons

Not as well known as other consulting firms so may be harder to bring on new clients - many know SG from the software products, and don't realize the consulting capabilities that are offered.

Advice to Management

While this is a smaller aspect of the SunGard portfolio, it's an area for continued investment.

5. "Excellent company"

I have been working at SunGard Consulting Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people. Intelligent staff, solid projects, good benefits, pay and work life balance

Cons

Continue to get more clients

Advice to Management

Continue to grow

6. "Sungard Consulting Services"

Current Employee - Senior Lead Consultant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Lead Consultant in Houston, TX

I have been working at SunGard Consulting Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Its good company to join .

Cons

There immigration system is not very good.

"Manager"

Former Employee - Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at SunGard Consulting Services full-time

Pros

You can move ahead by attending happy hours and doing company events if you are into this kinda thing, your actual work and dedication plays no role in your promotion.
     You can oversell yourself and land a job with a higher rank than anywhere else because they do not check and do not care about your work experience, anything to get you in the door. I have seen senior consultants hired as senior managers...

Cons

Company do not care about their employees, you are literally just a number. All the good people already left the company, what you have is incompetent self absorbed mediocre Consultants that believe they know it all, 3/4 of them can't speak proper English, promotions are unheard of (unless you are best buddy with some partner), your skills and dedication has nothing to do with it. Pay scale is horrible, they will not give you an annual raise cause CEO has to hit his bonus mark.
    They only have like one or two projects.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

"Not really a good place to stay unless you are good at maintaining spaghetti code."

Current Employee - Lead Senior Consultant in Houston, TX

I have been working at SunGard Consulting Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay is descent. Some people are nice to work with.

Cons

Management has some issues treating employee/consultant as human being and developing you. Can not make any mistakes and expected to be very humble in the client site but they are not going to tell you these.

Advice to Management

They don't know there is a thing called internet that a feedback and opinion can be aired.

"Used to love this place... but it is now very below average"

Current Employee - Lead Senior Consultant in Houston, TX

Pros

There are still some great people here to work with, but the changes in management has brought about some very unsatisfactory results. Get great perks, like Blackstone market, good benefits, and discounts because its a big company. Consulting firm in int he door with lots of large companies, so you can get some good experience here.

Cons

It is nearly impossible to get promoted, Sr. management no longer care about what you want for your career or your goals. They encourage you to take your full 4 weeks vacation and take training classes, but then you dont get your bonus, because you are lacking billable hours. Bonuses are sorry and almost non-existant -- might as well take the vacation!

Advice to Management

Show intrerest in your employees, we are people with needs and goals. Listen to us... sometimes. Dont make promotions so out of reach that employees feel hopeless in advancing thier career. make sure that promotion goals are attainable.

"Great start for a college grad, afterwards get out."

Current Employee - Lead Senior Consultant in Houston, TX

Pros

Competitive initial salary for a college graduate. Company demonstrates great patience in guiding young consultants to the consulting life style.

Cons

Not a recognized name and assignments seems more like body shop staff augmentation than consulting work.

Salary increases are bet. 3-4 % a year. Promotion salary increases are bet 7-15%. There are few opportunities growth and development.

Top heavy with little regard for development of consultants. Training is mostly on the job. Paid training can occur if one pulls teeth and calls a favor from ones' Godfather.

After 2-3 years a senior consultant should start to move on. At 4-5 one must be gone in order to obtain the desired salary and career growth opportunities.

Advice to Management

Have a real career training and growth program. Higher better senior managers and principals that can manage and sell to a wider client base for higher fees. Principals and partners should come with backgrounds with proven sales capabilities. Restructure the company to be one consulting company instead of competing regional offices. Coordinate better with SunGard sister companies for better offerings to potential clients.