SunGard Public Sector Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
SunGard Public Sector Chief Operating Officer Kevin Lafeber
Kevin Lafeber

Pros
Cons
  • We have lost the best and brightest during the last two years because of the confusion caused by upper management and they are sorely missed (in 5 reviews)

• Very little if any room for growth (in 3 reviews)

"Developer III / Senior Programmer Analyst"

Former Employee - Software Developer III in Lake Mary, FL
    Former Employee - Software Developer III in Lake Mary, FL

I worked at SunGard Public Sector full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Some of the most ethical and professional minded people I've ever met work there.

Cons

Too much emphasis on meeting numbers targets, to the point that customer satisfaction is compromised. Cumbersome procedures. Employee headcount has been reduced beyond the point where individual workloads are manageable, leaving people feeling that they are drowning in work and hopeless anything will change. FIS was so keen to get rid of highly paid long term employees that they allowed a large amount of institutional knowledge to leave. Clients have noticed this.

If you're a young person they will hire you but don't expect high pay levels. SPS was recently sold by FIS so perhaps some of these conditions will change.

Advice to Management

Value your long time loyal employees. A 1.0-1.6% annual increase to a top performer with 2 decades experience at the company sends a clear message, and it's not positive. Find a way to lighten the workloads of those with one too heavy, before they burn out and leave. Meet client's new needs without abandoning the ones that have been with SPS for a long time. Many clients want to stay on the iSeries platform.

"Great employees, poor management and product direction."

I have been working at SunGard Public Sector full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Camraderie among low-level employees is excellent, workplace events throughout the year to raise morale, and in general a great place to gain experience for your resume.

Cons

Extrenched and disconnected management/executive team that has slowly eroded the company's leadership position in its industry by a series of very poor product and workforce decisions; excessive management focus on metrics; substandard compensation and pay increases; benefits package that was once among the best in the private sector has been reduced to a shadow of what it was; very poor prospects for advancement; several rounds of layoffs over the last few years have left the remaining workforce severely overworked; substandard performers seem to generally be tolerated; software is antiquated and executive efforts to develop a successor have stalled; sales and acquisitions over the last several years have severely affected morale and caused an exodus of highly skilled institutional knowledge.

Advice to Management

Entrenched mid and upper managers generally need to be purged; employees need to be shown they are truly valued through competitive pay, regular increases, and solid benefits package; show customers they are valued by increasing headcount to departments like customer support that are on the front line of customer interaction and problem solving.

"Falling behind competition"

I worked at SunGard Public Sector full-time

Pros

Casual attire
    Free breakfast on Fridays
    Sense of contributing to making communities safer through technologies

Cons

No clear direction for keeping up with advances in technology
    Upper management requires overhaul but insulated from organizational changes due to buy outs from investors.
    Under achieving employees are not held accountable to completing work

Advice to Management

Take a close look at the issues affecting employee and customer satisfaction and make changes before SPS is bought out by competition.

"Happy but could be better"

Current Employee - Manager in Lake Mary, FL
    Current Employee - Manager in Lake Mary, FL

I have been working at SunGard Public Sector full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some great people as coworkers... I have a great boss. Very siloed

Cons

Deep tribal knowledge... resistant to change or innovation...

Advice to Management

Meet more with people you manage. Listen to then listen to new ideas. Pay people better and you get better qualified employees.

6. "Underappreciated and underpaid"

Former Employee - Senior Software Consultant/Instructor in Lake Mary, FL
    Former Employee - Senior Software Consultant/Instructor in Lake Mary, FL

I worked at SunGard Public Sector (More than a year)

Pros

good benefits but low pay

Cons

only one raise (less than 2% of salary) in 3 years

"Upper Management"

Current Employee - Middle Manager in Lake Mary, FL
    Current Employee - Middle Manager in Lake Mary, FL

I have been working at SunGard Public Sector full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Pleasant work environment. Decent benefits although each year our costs go up significantly while the coverage decreases. Co-workers are mostly a good bunch which helps the atmosphere.

Cons

I have been here a while. We used to have a vision and clear mission, this is missing now. Nobody is sure what the priorities are and even the fuzzy ones change every two weeks which demoralizes everyone. We have lost the best and brightest during the last two years because of the confusion caused by upper management and they are sorely missed. The decisions on products is comical to the employees, every one made in the last four years has failed,

Advice to Management

Change some of the executives, employees have no faith in the current regime.

""Too Many Clueless Chiefs and Not Enough Indians"!!!!"

I worked at SunGard Public Sector full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They offer many remote positions across the country.

Cons

Title states it all, they have too many managers that are clueless starting at the top (CEO) and all the way down to the basic manager level. Unfortunately the low level managers are just puppets and doing what they are told.
    They were taken over by FIS and since the public sector doesn't fit their business mold, this division will be quickly sold off or if not then just run into the ground which is happening right now!

Advice to Management

Simple, quit while your ahead and let resources that know what they are doing take over!

"Upper Managment Needs Major Changes"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Chico, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Chico, CA

I have been working at SunGard Public Sector full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

compensation is a bit below average salary, benefits are OK, thats about it....

Cons

Work load is way beyond manageable, you will be tasked to take on the role of 3-4 employees once you've been there for 2-3 years. There is NO collaboration between other teams and team members. There is always issues with the product, software tools, collaboration, and lack of knowledgeable talent. They don't provide any training what so ever. your basically thrown into a fire pit and putting in 10-14 hour days is a norm.

Advice to Management

Keep 1 CEO for more than a year and try to manage the product and projects in a more effective and efficient manner.

10. "I'm loving it here!"

Current Employee - Human Resources Associate in Chico, CA
    Current Employee - Human Resources Associate in Chico, CA

I have been working at SunGard Public Sector part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Everybody is friendly which creates a great culture in the workplace, free coffee and tea all day long, a large break room, very friendly and helpful supervisor as well as manager, I'm honestly enjoying my time here!

Cons

The only con I can think of for my position is the inability to grow and expand. Though I knew that coming in there may not be room for growth but it may change!

Advice to Management

No advice, keep up what you're doing so far!

SunGard Public Sector Response

May 18, 2016 – Senior Human Resources Generalist

We value feedback from all of our employees both full time and part time. We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. We are an award winning employer because of employees like you ... More

"The company just keeps going downhill"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Mary, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Mary, FL

I have been working at SunGard Public Sector full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Was a great company to work for before FIS purchased us, however the cuts keep coming

Cons

Workload has always been challenging, way to much work and then they cut staff numbers even more after the buyout. Benefits became more expensive and 401k was cut to 50% match instead of 100%. We lost PTO time and ability to carry it over. Now to add insult to our already injury they trying to cram us into 2 floors and they are getting rid of cubes and going to open floor plans to save on space. Its like just when you think it can't get worse and there is light and end of tunnel they throw something else at us that upsets staff.

Advice to Management

I know money is your number one priority now days but please remember that your staff break them self for the perks that use to be offered. Those of us who go above and beyond everyday are not going to continue to give it 120% if you keep cutting the things that matter to us and treating us like just another number.

SunGard Public Sector Response

May 18, 2016 – Senior Human Resources Generalist

The FIS SunGard integration was a very large and complex. The FIS integration team worked long and hard to get 55,000 employees under the FIS umbrella, which is no small feat. We know that ... More