SunGard Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
SunGard President, CEO and Director Russell P. (Russ) Fradin
Russell P. (Russ) Fradin

Pros
  • I have a nice work-life balance and the overall compensation package is good with a very solid base pay (in 148 reviews)

• Good benefits and nice work environment (in 59 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance not great, lot's of travelling (in 27 reviews)

• Big Hierarchy to reach in Senior Management Role (in 35 reviews)

1. "Review of Consultant position for Sungard Financial Systems circa 2010 - Excellent Experience"

Former Employee - Consultant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Consultant in New York, NY

Pros

I am approaching my second year as a consultant at Sungard Financial Systems and, in all honesty, my experience has been 100% positive. My colleagues are a great group of people from whom I have learned many things. The consultants I work with are very knowledge and they like their profession; it shows in our day to day interactions. I have made some great friends.

Our management is cognizant of the consultant's efforts and know just how much to manage our work. Also, I think there is a company-wide effort by management to be as transparent as possible. Additionally, I am glad that management and the company in general, are fiscally conservative practically in all regards. Very little is wasted, at least in my office. On the same vein, I also appreciate the steps Sungard has taken to be as environmentally friendly as possible. I know that aspect is off topic, but it makes me proud to be part of the Sungard group.

Last but not least, although I have worked on many projects by now, I have never been over worked. My work week seldom spans more than 45 hours and I really like that. If you calculate how much I make for how many hours I work, then you would arrive at a number that is on par with the majority of Consulting firms. This has allowed me to pursue certifications and classes without overburdening me.

Sungard Financial Systems was the first position where I felt like a true professional and I will always be a fan of the company.

Cons

The only thing that comes to mind is the topic of compensation. The benefits at Sungard are great and the lifestyle is very manageable. The problem is that, at least within my group, the bonuses are small compared to other companies. As I already mentioned, salary is on par with other Consulting firms when you consider your work week. The bonuses over the last two years were small although you have to factor that 2008 - 2009 were brutal for Banking and Finance in general.

Advice to Management

While I understand that the private owners are finally collecting dividends on the Leveraged Buyout of Sungard, I think that, whenever possible, compensation should be increased when the employee has performed. If too many people leave for better paying positions, then that puts certain groups in a difficult situation. Also, although I am not aware of the R&D undertaken, I get the sense that it is not a top priority. There is some great software being developed at Sungard and then there is software that is outdated and needs more than just patches.
    In any event, I think that management is doing a great job and wish Sungard all the best now and in the future.

2. "Excellent"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wayne, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wayne, PA

Pros

Oppurtunity to work with very brilliant technology experts.
    Oppurtunity to work with cutting edge technology.
    Family like relationship with co-workers.

Cons

Jobs are increasingly outsourced.
    Highly stressfull workload.
    Salaries are not as competitive as other companies.

"Fantastic! From a 2-week programmer job to a 24-year career ending as General Manager!!!!"

Former Employee - Senior Vice President/General Manager in Calabasas, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Vice President/General Manager in Calabasas, CA

Pros

Hi-tech; corporate discipline; opportunities for growth; rewards for success; responsibility & accountability enforced.

Cons

M&A's distracting and disturbing to the core.

Advice to Management

Take the company public again and let other share in its success; private control is good for management but poor for everyone else, especially with only Board oversight.

4. "Great place to work."

Current Employee - Project Manager in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Portland, OR

I have been working at SunGard full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Management Team has created a great working environment.

Cons

Tough industry over the last 5 years has created a difficult growth pattern.

5. "Great opportunities to do interesting work and advance"

Former Employee - Senior IT Auditor in Wayne, PA
    Former Employee - Senior IT Auditor in Wayne, PA

I worked at SunGard full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Culture of accountability, opportunities to do important and interesting work, top performers rewarded. Diverse technology infrastructure leading to many chances to learn new platforms.

Cons

Decentralized management structure of the corporate office meant there was additional overhead in making decisions about company-wide policies and benefits.

Advice to Management

I feel that there could have been more emphasis (on an individual level) on how specific job roles could contribute to the overall strategic direction of the company.

"SunGard is an excellent company to work for overall, with challenging and interesting work and generous benefits"

Former Employee - Product Development in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Product Development in New York, NY

I worked at SunGard full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Down to earth people, maybe because many employees are software engineers / programmers
    Good work/life balance, but there is also pressure to perform and hit targets, whether that's development or sales

Cons

Not the most upwardly mobile organization -- lack of clarity for junior people to get management experience and rise up the ranks

Advice to Management

Communicate better with junior-level people because they have insights into the organizational structure and behavior that could positively impact sales/earnings if tweaked in the right way.

7. "Pros & Cons of SunGard Availability Services"

Former Employee - Senior Director, Marketing/Communications in Wayne, PA
    Former Employee - Senior Director, Marketing/Communications in Wayne, PA

I worked at SunGard full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The job provided a wide variety of responsibilities, and opportunities

Cons

There is a ysfunctional management team.

Advice to Management

Get some women in senior management positions. Listen to employees and allow them to make mistakes when trying something new and innovative.

"Lots of potential if you work hard"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlington, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlington, MA

I have been working at SunGard full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

High visibility for accomplishments.
    Mobility for those that work hard and work in a growing product/segment.
    Most managers are very flexible with time and working remotely.

Cons

Bureaucracy of a normal large company(job reqs are approved after we need someone for a month, rather than a month before they are needed)

"Excellent work env"

Current Employee - Technical Team Lead in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Technical Team Lead in New York, NY

I have been working at SunGard full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very helpful and knowledgeable poeple

Cons

Dont see any cons. Its a very nice company

"SunGard Financial Services"

Current Employee - Middle Management in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Middle Management in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at SunGard full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Senior management is bringing in the right people, and weeding out non-productive ones. Overall they are doing the right things, and are listening to those in the trenches. Because of rapid growth, there are opportunities everywhere in this company.

Cons

Rapid growth has left some support elements behind, and customers are expressing some concern.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you have been doing, and consider outside evaluation of our various departments to determine if we have the right organizational structure. The emphasis on beefing up support teams is key to continued growth.