SunPower Reviews | Glassdoor

SunPower CEO and Director Tom Werner
Tom Werner

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work-life balance is still hard, I work 50 hour weeks fairly regularly (in 15 reviews)

• Solar Industry is at its lowest point now the company had to retrenchment (in 9 reviews)

1. "Systems Administrator"

I have been working at SunPower full-time

Pros

Employees values, compensation, transparency

Cons

Benefits, bonus, medical, vacation, sick days.

2. "Difficult Industry, Insane Management"

I have been working at SunPower full-time

Pros

Working in solar is rewarding on a personal level. There's a ton to learn in the industry, especially a company like SunPower that's extremely vertically integrated. SunPower has some extremely smart engineers who are highly motivated.

Cons

Constant layoffs. Impossible to obtain long-term budget unless there's monetary return on your work, which leads to a lack of quality at times. A lot of work to do and very few people to complete the scope.

Advice to Management

Employees need balance and sanity in their work life. I realize that management is in a tough position and you're fighting to stay afloat in a tough market, but the job needs to be rewarding for the employee to keep good employees, and good employees are needed in order to persevere in a tough market.

3. "Not bad, very volatile"

I have been working at SunPower full-time

Pros

Decent compensation, upward mobility options.

Cons

Poor benefits, change from restricted stock to cash eliminates upside.

4. "Great place if you want to be in solar"

Current Contractor - Analyst in Richmond, VA
    Current Contractor - Analyst in Richmond, VA

I have been working at SunPower as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Beautiful Office
    Dedicated, smart people
    Leaders in the field
    Technology in-house

Cons

Processes are sometime inefficient and cumbersome

"Company in Awkward Teenage Stage"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at SunPower full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Benefits
    Awesome Holiday Schedule
    Appreciative management
    Results driven work environment
    Working for a good cause
    While my Cons may seems bad, I love my job and the people I work with. They are smart, driven people who are trying to figure out how to be the only solar company that does it all. Growth took off too fast and the processes that once worked, no longer did and the effort of developing and implementing sustainable solutions took a heavy toll on the workforce. While some may say that they lacked direction and training, it really is that we have to come up with solutions and processes that are unprecedented in the industry. We have to make our own rule book. I enjoy the challenge and find that the people who are there believe in what we do and that it is worth looking forward past this awkward teenage phase to make Sunpower competitive in the Solar Market and Solar successful in the energy market as a whole.

Cons

Solar market currently unstable
    A lot of head management left the company after the lay off that happened before Christmas 2016
    Cuts in bonuses, promotions and raises.

"Skating on thin ice but worth the risk"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at SunPower full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits and pay
    Exciting and challenging work
    Lots of flexibility and opportunity to try new things
    My works seems to have meaning and benefit beyond just making money for the company
    Executives are engaged and interested in adapting based on feedback
    Company has committed to employee retention ($$$) after recent waves of layoffs
    Company has renewed focus and vigor after dust settled from 2016 chaos

Cons

I've been here almost 2 years now, just in time for the "solar coaster". It's no secret that SunPower is having a rough time financially. It's been quite scary and stressful for the past year waiting to see if you get laid off. Fortunately I survived.
    They handled the layoffs in a VERY abysmal way. Telling us way in advance, then leaving us hanging for months only to finally cut the strings in the middle of Christmas holidays. So painful. Morale was stupidly low. The only "positive" I can think of for handling it this way is it gave employees time to update their resumes and such.
    SunPower was already understaffed in terms of the number of employees available versus what the company wanted to work on. Now there are like 33% less employees. However, executives have done a great job of narrowing focus, so the workload hasn't changed.
    IT/Corporate support is a joke due to all of the outsourcing.
    Training is practically non-existant in my role. It is very sink or swim from the moment you join. However, everyone I work with is very friendly and intelligent - it's easy to find help if you need it.
    Work-life balance is still hard, I work 50 hour weeks fairly regularly.

Advice to Management

SunPower is in survival mode and employees know it. Those of us who are still here after the recent layoffs are here because we love the company and believe in the mission. Keep focusing on profitability while also maintaining retention. Don't start freezing bonuses & raises or else I fear it will break the camel's back and people will feel they have no choice but to start looking around.

I like that we are focusing on our strengths and attempting to come out of this current downcycle as a stronger company. I believe SunPower will survive and have been impressed with our flexibility.

Also, I know money is tight, but don't let it get so tight that we stifle our own growth. There are important projects and groups that are desperately understaffed. Sometimes you need to spend a little to make a little, know what groups are important and get them what they need to be successful.

7. "Director"

I worked at SunPower full-time

Pros

Smart people and good cause

Cons

The industry is changing and the business is getting commoditized.

8. "Solid sensibly-run company"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at SunPower as a contractor

Pros

Business model and management style is very straightforward, easy to know where you stand

Cons

Perks are a little spare

Advice to Management

Good work overall, but they'd get more loyalty with better compensation

"Not Perfect but a solid company"

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at SunPower full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Great engagement at the Executive level - approachable and willing to roll their sleeves up and work from what I saw
     - They believe in and live their values every day, especially when it comes to the environment and the health and welfare of their employees.
     - They encouraged a fun, laid back work environment in the Austin location. (This seemed less prevalent at the San Jose office)

Cons

- Over-reliance on outsourced I/T support (Developers, QA, and Support) meant high turnover, few SMEs with tenure, and lots of re-work
     - Dysfunctional Executive team. Even though they are engaged and seemed willing to work, they were extremely dysfunctional.

Advice to Management

Overall, my tenure at SunPower was good and I would recommend them as a place to work. Like any publicly traded company, there are areas of opportunities where they could improve; however, so long as the Executive Team is willing to listen, they will get better over time. Along the way, embrace those that have different ideas on how to move the business forward and you'll get there.

10. "Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Richmond, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Richmond, CA

I have been working at SunPower full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people, cool projects, important mission

Cons

Too many management levels, more meetings than needed.

Advice to Management

Start being more agile, give hard working employees more incentives to keep being high performers.