SunTrust Reviews | Glassdoor

SunTrust Reviews

Updated May 22, 2017

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
SunTrust President and CEO William H. (Bill) Rogers Jr.
William H. (Bill) Rogers Jr.

Pros
Cons
  • Work-Life Balance (Team Dependent); technology should be more advanced for a corporation this size (in 48 reviews)

• Constant turnover in upper management leads to perpetual reorganization (in 89 reviews)

1. "Teller Coordinator"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

I worked at SunTrust full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits, nothing else, that is it.

Cons

Lower management, sales goals are unrealistic, company could care less how management treats you, reporting of numbers several times a day (on multiple platforms).

Watch out, you're replaceable (although I quit) you're just a number, customer service? What's that? SunTrust is on a path of failer.

Advice to Management

Visit and branch and actually talk to employees. Working in a branch is HELL and super unrealistic.

2. "Trust Adviser"

Current Employee - Trust Administrator in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Trust Administrator in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at SunTrust full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Trust Advisers are great: intelligent and easy to work with. However,

Cons

there are a few managers who are grossly unqualified for the positions they occupy, one in particular who was hired despite having literally no substantive experience with estates large enough for estate tax implications to be relevant, basic estate planning vehicles (FLP's with an LLC general partner) or even the operative legal mechanisms by which limited partnerships and LLC's operate--despite being an attorney. Worse, he's extremely uninterested in learning these concepts, despite their fundamental relevance to the nature of the position of Department Manger of Closely Held Business Services..

Technology is lagging for a bank of this size, but (from what I understand) this is common among banks at their asset level. Still, it makes performing necessary job functions difficult.

3. "Program manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at SunTrust full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Bonus was great to receive

Cons

Insurance was very costly and high deductible

"My experience at SunTrust has been horrible."

Current Employee - Branch Manager in Richland, SC
    Current Employee - Branch Manager in Richland, SC

I have been working at SunTrust full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Salaries tend to be higher in management than other bank institutions. Vacation time is greatly needed and appreciated. Health savings and financial fitness program is great!

Cons

Lacks competent Area Managers. From my experience, my Area Manager leads by fear and doesn't know how to manage banking professionals. Goals are unrealistic and most fear being written up for not performing to expectations. Work-life balance does not exist. Family is only secondary to this place.

Advice to Management

Most teammates have been worked to the point that they are giving up. This company promotes fear of disciplinary action for not meeting the unrealistic sales goals. Work-life balance is non existent. Too many conference calls at the last minute and makes scheduling teammates challenging. Area Manager leads by fear and documents disciplinary actions plans outside of company guidelines. I wouldn't be surprised if see a large exodus of teammates.

"Personal Banker"

Current Employee - Personal Banker IV in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Personal Banker IV in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at SunTrust full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits are ok. There really isn't any pros besides what every other company has to offer which is benefits. Nothing is different about the benefits

Cons

Where do I start? Coming from another large financial institution I assumed Suntrust Bank would've been up-to-date on their technology. They have the oldest money order machine and cashiers check machine. Everything is done on paper, NOTHING is done electronic not even retention. (If I would've known Suntrust systems was older than my mom I would've asked for more money.
    The staffing is horrible, pretty much every location have one or two tellers. The Teller Coordinator is just a lead teller and the branch manager is just a lead banker. The area managers don't allow their branch managers to make any decisions, they don't even allow them to hire their own bankers. As a matter of fact they don't allow them to interview their bankers. The area managers are bullies, they constantly talk about sales sales sales, now they don't won't to say sales or goals, now the new thing to say is "how can you help your client move to financial freedom", if you didn't "help your client" or better yet get a sale then they are down your throat. Every single day there is a sales or "how can we help our clients" meeting. Employees are constantly on Suntrust system looking for job opportunities outside of Suntrust. Because all the suntrust locations are understaff the branch manager can deny your vacation because of the staff unless they find help from another location so the best thing to do is just call off, speaking of sick days you ONLY get five sick days for the entire year. If I could give any advice I would say try to get on at Bank of America, Wells Fargo, or even PNC before you consider Suntrust. If Suntrust is your only option then definitely negotiate your pay. Don't settle for less. A banker can get up to 48k and a teller coordinator 47k DO NOT ACCEPT THE FIRST OFFER PLEASE NEGOTIATE YOJR SALART

Lastly, leadership on every level suck. Senior leader visited my branch with my area manager and he didn't speak to not one employee. Suntrust is a joke of a company

Advice to Management

Stop being bullies to your team members, stop pushing sales sales sales "how can we help our clients", stop having sales meeting every day, Monday morning there should be a sales meeting but every day after should be a team building meeting not a team beat up meeting, learn how to coach your staff instead of insulting your staff, branch managers have some balls and speak up to your area managers, defend your team

7. "Bad company"

Former Employee - Personal Banker in Pensacola, FL
    Former Employee - Personal Banker in Pensacola, FL

I worked at SunTrust full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits not much more

Cons

Management only hires friends, management talks down to employees saying "we are all replaceable" which is known but doesn't build moral or company loyalty.

Advice to Management

Corporate should have ears on the ground to get loyal employees. Too much turnover because middle management shows very little respect to its employees.

8. "Go someplace else"

Former Employee - Sales in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Sales in Richmond, VA

I worked at SunTrust full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Limited upside unless you're in IT or wealth management.

Cons

Horrible communication skills throughout the organization. Lazy management with limited to no vision. My supervisor & managers never came to a meeting unless they were running it or had food available. They said they would listen to comments & recommendations but they were never implemented. Other employees were back stabbed thinking their actions would get them ahead.

9. "Not worth the money"

Former Employee - Teller Coordinator in Spartanburg, SC
    Former Employee - Teller Coordinator in Spartanburg, SC

I worked at SunTrust full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Awesome customers that made it feel like home

Cons

Management throws you out there without proper training and expect you to be the best at a job that is outdated!

Advice to Management

Better training for team members

"No words..."

Former Employee - Assistant Branch Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Assistant Branch Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at SunTrust full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The pay is competitive in my opinion

Cons

No work life balance
    Constant turnover
    Ancient Technology
    Lack of effective communication
    On job training needs improvement
    Lack of leadership

Advice to Management

Communicate effectively
    Be open to suggestions/ feedback
    Listen to your team mates
    Sales doesn't equal a leader

11. "It felt like an unrewarding volunteer job."

Former Employee - Universal Banker in Franklin, TN
    Former Employee - Universal Banker in Franklin, TN

I worked at SunTrust full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice people to work with.

Cons

Very low pay for your duties.
    Also,hours are all over the place.
    From an 8-6:15 schedule, you only get one half hour break the entire day!

Advice to Management

Raise the pay for the area and job descriptions.

Showing 274 of 1,874 reviews