SunTrust Reviews | Glassdoor

Find your next job here

SunTrust Reviews

Updated December 27, 2017

1.0
SunTrust President and CEO William H. (Bill) Rogers Jr.
William H. (Bill) Rogers Jr.

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work-Life Balance (Team Dependent); technology should be more advanced for a corporation this size (in 55 reviews)

• Lack of leadership with upper management on the campus level (in 102 reviews)

"Peon"

Current Employee - Peon in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Peon in Richmond, VA

I have been working at SunTrust full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great place to work if you are a white male or foreign contractor.

Cons

No advancement for women. They hire unqualified candiates from outside vs. experienced FTE's. Impossible to move into a role that one is qualified for. Recruiters and managers never consider existing teammates for an open position.

Advice to Management

Don't pretend that you aren't aware of the unfair practices. Have teammates rate their managers.

2. "Manager"

Former Freelancer - Business Writer in Atlanta, GA
    Former Freelancer - Business Writer in Atlanta, GA

I worked at SunTrust (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly upon first impressions. Present themselves as flexible.

Cons

Peel back the facade and you find yourself in a "shark tank" of epic proportions. No diversity, no women's council, and significant gap in technology.

Advice to Management

Get over your old ways and move forward.

3. "In one word, horrible."

Former Employee - Assistant Branch Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Branch Manager

I worked at SunTrust full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Health insurance, select few (and I mean few) that actually work, operations department.

Cons

Horrible hours, no support from upper management, over worked with horrible pay.

4. "Technology Employee review of the delivery operation"

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at SunTrust full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very structured program. Set timetable to deliver major and minor releases.

Cons

The structure of the delivery operation is too constrained. There are numerous barriers to having satisfying work.

5. "Not my favorite place"

I worked at SunTrust full-time

Pros

benefits are available to employees after 6 months.

Cons

not enough pay, a lot of shady business

6. "RECAD"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC

I worked at SunTrust full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

In the beginning, there was a willingness to teach. The manager seemed to promote opportunity. If you saw an opportunity to improve something and did it, then you received credit for it.

Cons

The manager promoted a tattle-tale culture. Team culture was not promoted. The concern for employees was disingenuous. The manager automatically took the team leader's word on everything and didn't corroborate with the employees. If you disagreed or challenged leadership, you were black balled.

Advice to Management

Value those who are not in management roles.

"SunTrust should never be allowed to do this to any employee again. Know your rights."

Former Employee - Personal Banker in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Personal Banker in Richmond, VA

I worked at SunTrust full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This review can be read in its entirety in the Cons section below.

Cons

I will preface this review saying, after over 20 years of working, I have never felt compelled to write such a review. I hope that I never have to write one again.
    I resigned from SunTrust partly due to stress related to the pressure I began to feel from sales and a “product pushing” environment. It was not for me. I wanted to pursue other interests. My final paycheck was owed to me on the 15th day of the month. The paycheck was deposited and reflected in my account. Upon attempting to make a purchase on the 16th, my card declined. I immediately checked my bank account. SunTrust electronically reversed my entire paycheck. I did not receive ANY type of communication regarding this. Not a phone call, email, or letter via USPS. I immediately called Human Resources. They informed me that SunTrust made an error and overpaid me. I do not know how, I submitted final timesheets. They took my entire paycheck without notice or warning. I was told the next processing date would be the 17th, and I would have that pay no later than the 21st.
    I was not paid on the 21st. Upon contacting human resources again, I was told that processing would not take place until the 27th, and I would be paid the 28th or 29th.
    HR could/would NOT tell me the amount of my final check or an exact pay date. When asked about a quarterly bonus, rightfully earned, if I would still be getting it, they told me I need to ask my manager. When I asked my area manager, I was told I needed to ask HR.
    Aside from SunTrust’s complete mismanagement and lack of communication. An error which they are 100% responsible for has caused me financial loss, hardship, time, and additional stress. I caught their pay reversal in time to transfer the majority of my savings to cover the automatic bills I had coming out. Had I not, I would have incurred late fees as well as additional overdraft fees. I have been forced to withdrawal from a retirement fund, losing nearly $500 to taxes and penalties, for other bills upcoming, rent, and the ability to travel home for the holidays. I requested that they please expedite the payroll process. SunTrust refused the request to expedite pay owed to me.
    It is incredibly disturbing that a bank, one of the largest in the U.S. can so easily mismanage, and then not pay an employee in a timely manner. SunTrust’s entire foundation is to “build financial confidence.” However, they force an employee into incurring financial losses due to their error and refuse to be accountable for it. They want bankers to hound clients about closing equity loans or activating a credit card, but does not make the importance of access to payroll funds a priority for an employee.
    Let it be reflected that, as of 11/22/17, I still have not received the pay owed to me. I also now have great concern that it will not be what is owed to me, if and when received. SunTrust is not only responsible for paying me, but they are responsible for the losses they have caused.
    Know your rights. SunTrust should never be allowed to put anyone in this position again.
    For your rights as an employee please refer to the Department of Labor.
    Virginia residents can refer to:
    Code of Virginia. Title 40.1. Labor and Employment. Chapter 3. Protection of Employees
    § 40.1-29. Time and medium of payment; withholding wages;
    written statement of earnings; agreement for forfeiture of
    wages; proceedings to enforce compliance; penalties

Advice to Management

No comment.

8. "sales manager"

Pros

There is nothing good about this organization

Cons

Corrupt bankers , widget driven, no concern for customers

Advice to Management

They need to make sure that there is proper scrutiny on all bankers.

"Horrible Management, largest turnover rate I’ve ever seen"

Current Employee - Bank Teller in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Bank Teller in Durham, NC

I have been working at SunTrust full-time (More than a year)

Pros

What SunTrust stands for I truly believe in. They give back to the community and I like their core values. The hiring process was easy. I enjoyed working with non-management because everyone who wasn’t a manager was down to earth. If you stick with it there are great opportunities for growth but that’s with any retail bank. I would suggest working at any other bank but this one.

Cons

Upper management is horrible in this region. Very out of touch with what it’s like in the day to day process of retail banking. They would expect unrealistic goals and give unrealistic advice on how to reach those goals. Upper management would stress out branch managers with these goals which would in turn make the branch managers just as unpleasant to work with. This is evident in the turnover rate, within my first 3 weeks working at SunTrust 2 people WALKED OUT of work and 2 more were fired for “sales related” issues.

Advice to Management

Please get someone working with upper management that has worked in the retail banking environment within the last 5 years. You being a teller in college 20 years ago does not make you qualified to tell me what it is like being a teller now. If banking has changed so much within the last 5 years why would you have no one with recent retail experience in upper management. It makes no sense and it makes for a horrible working environment. It is evident to me that if you have such a high turnover rate that you would notice there is a problem and fix it.

10. "Don't come here run the other way trust me !"

Current Employee - Branch Manager
    Current Employee - Branch Manager

I have been working at SunTrust full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I am still trying to figure out any pros the only thing I could come up with that this is a small enough bank that is give a community feel but big enough bank that you still have a corp feel. Best of both worlds

Cons

Lack of training
    Benefits suck I went from paying less than 350 monthly for my family to now paying about 750 a month for my family plus I have more cost for the ins for visits than with last employer
    Lack of operations and sense of bank security
    No plain directions and help ( resources are not worth crap)
    Outbound calling with the same leads
    Retention is horrible can't keep anyone with the company ( I am personally wanting to leave wishing I never left previous bank)
    Not honest and upfront

Advice to Management

Get your stuff together from operations, policy and procedures to products and most importantly taking care of your teammates!

Showing 301 of 2,091 reviews