SunTrust Reviews | Glassdoor

SunTrust Reviews

Updated April 14, 2017

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
SunTrust President and CEO William H. (Bill) Rogers Jr.
William H. (Bill) Rogers Jr.

Pros
Cons
  • Work-Life Balance (Team Dependent); technology should be more advanced for a corporation this size (in 47 reviews)

• Upper management isn't realistic when it comed to proper teammate staffing and teammate goals (in 86 reviews)

"Universal banker"

Current Employee - Universal Banker in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Universal Banker in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at SunTrust full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pros - 401k matched at 6%, no weekends for most branches, health insurance. Company vision (help clients be financially confident)

Cons

Cons- this company is old. The systems are old, so old they actually hurt the company. You cannot help clients how you want too because they don't have the systems in place to do anything quickly or efficiently.

This company has attainable goals, as long as you're in the right branch, have a good manager teaching you he systems and "Suntrust way" if you don't you're going to fail. The teller system is almost 40 years old. Nothing is electronic or easy.

The helpline is horrible. First you must go through prompt after prompt until you finally get ahold of someone and they might not even be helpful. This is as a customer AND employee. You can have long waits with clients during this process.

They don't pay you what you're worth. Every other bank pays its employees more. I can't speak as to what their goals may be but Suntrust comes in at the bottom is what I have learned from my research. Also, if you get promoted don't expect a large increase either.

I would not recommend this job or company to anyone.

Advice to Management

Invest in your talent, and in your technology. Both are vital to a successful company.

2. "Universal Banker"

Former Employee - Universal Banker in Gainesville, FL
    Former Employee - Universal Banker in Gainesville, FL

I worked at SunTrust full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Suntrust has decent benefits, training programs and an excellent maternity/parental leave policy. I really do appreciate the values that the company has for helping its clients. They really want their employees to know their clients and keep them happy. They also do a very good job of educating their employees about products and services so they can be knowledgeable for the clients.

Cons

Suntrust is progressively turning into a company full of micromanagers. There are very intense coaching sessions that take place and many mandatory conference calls for managers and bankers several times a week set aside for coaching and reporting numbers. I think there is way too much pressure on the area managers, branch managers and teller coordinators to constantly be coaching their employees to boost performance. Coaching is great, but it has gotten to the point where it almost feels like harassment. All the while, they continue to lose great employees, which leads to understaffed branches and a very tense work environment. I think it has taken a toll not only on the employees, but the clients as well.

The Universal Banker is expected to perform banker duties with a teller's salary. That is simply unacceptable.

My advice to anyone who applies to work here and has banking experience under their belt: Do not sell yourself short when they make you an offer. If I could go back to the beginning, I would have been a lot more assertive with the pay offer. Banks are competitive, and if you're good at what you do, you deserve to be compensated for that. I suppose that's good advice for any job!

Advice to Management

Take better care of your employees and compensate them according to industry standards and you won't lose them to competitors.

I came back from maternity leave to a branch with no manager and a brand new area manager. When I sat down with my new area manager to quit my job, I explained to him that I needed a position that compensated me a little better, as I just had a baby. He then went on to ask me why I needed better pay and if I'm a single mom. I'm not, but that shouldn't even matter to him. Needless to say, this person is very unprofessional. When I expressed my concerns to him about my position, he didn't seem to be listening to me at all. My last area manager was always concerned for the well being of the staff and constantly asking what he could do for us to make us more successful and happy. That's what a true leader does. My advice to upper management? Again... treat your people better and you won't lose the good ones.

"Chaotic"

Former Employee - Client First Solutions in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Client First Solutions in Orlando, FL

I worked at SunTrust full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits packages . Onsite doctor. Great training and documented processes and procedures.

Cons

Executives overreach into policies and procedures. Offshoring cost a lot of jobs. Management is out of touch with consumer and teammate needs

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees who are intouch with your consumers.

"Do you like being over worked, unappreciated and underpaid? This is the job for you."

Current Employee - Teller Coordinator in Edgewater, FL
    Current Employee - Teller Coordinator in Edgewater, FL

I have been working at SunTrust full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, paid vacation, paid holidays. Some branches are closed on Saturday so you may or may not have to work weekends. Getting to know your customers and help them when they are actually in need.

Cons

Where to start...
    Training is awful, you first have about 75 computer trading modules to complete. Then there is only three days of teller training where you learn how to use a system older than civilization and then you go observe someone for another few days. It's definitely a learn as you go and there are a lot of discretionary decisions that can be left up to each branch. If you need help you call India and hope to God you can understand the person who is doing their best to help.
    Sales, sales, sales!!! Customer service is supposedly top priority but you are required to sell or "help" the client. It is just like another big bank that was recently sued due to high pressure sales.
    Each year the bank makes it more and more difficult to meet goal. You are just a number and if you can't meet the goals they will coach you up or out.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees well, and give them the tools needed to do their jobs. Stop pressuring sales or else you will end up exactly where "the other bank" did except you aren't going to be able to recover. I'm so disappointed in SunTrust, they used to be a great company to work for and bank with.

6. "Customer Service Representative II"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Nashville, TN

I worked at SunTrust full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits, Training, Celebrations, special occasions, Department Game Day

Cons

Disrespect, All customer service representative are required to sell bank products for raises. Seniority is not used for promotions.

Advice to Management

IDK

"Branch Manager I"

Current Employee - Branch Manager in Gainesville, FL
    Current Employee - Branch Manager in Gainesville, FL

I have been working at SunTrust full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent benefits, company with a noble stated purpose.

Cons

Managers of banking center 1 locations are worked like dogs. Bare minimum staffing, many days you wind up running a teller drawer, on conference calls, expected to be out visiting businesses, AND you're still responsible for half the platform sales goal. Many days expected to work without a lunch break. When your staffing isn't bare bones, you wind up sending coverage to other branches and creating short staffing at your branch. Morale is extremely low internally and outlook seems to be roundly negative.

Advice to Management

Wake up. Staff your branches fully and pay your employees what other banks are willing to pay them or you will continue to lose top talent to competitors.

"I learned a lot about the banking industry."

Former Employee - Loan Servicing Specialist in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Loan Servicing Specialist in Nashville, TN

I worked at SunTrust full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I enjoyed working with my teammates. We were like a family. I always had great immediate managers.

Cons

As the years progressed there was too much mismanagement going on in the upper levels. This caused the turn over rate to jump significantly.

9. "Still heavilly outsourced to offshore despite moves to bring some in house"

Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at SunTrust full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Stable company, good life balance, good work from home options, onUp campaign is good in concept, but the altruistic marketing message hasn't permeated the culture in EIS / IT.

Cons

The numbers speak for themselves:

- Of almost 1,000 IT Delivery resources based in the US, 45% are Indian.
    - Only 55% of US-based resources are full time.
    - The rest of US-based resources are contractors 80% of whom are Indian.

Advice to Management

Make an overt move toward hiring full-time, experienced US-citizens. Hiring interns from area colleges appears to be a move in the right direction. But hiring entry-level students does not address the serious gap in available full-time experienced resources from the market of US citizens.

10. "Advisory position"

Current Employee - Advisor in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Advisor in Nashville, TN

Pros

This is a great learning experience in the banking and investing business. It's high paced with plenty of opportunity. There isn't long hours. It's solid banking hours. Due to the size of the company, there is opportunity to work in different areas.

Cons

It's a typical corporate company. There can be significant changes with very little notice. Management can seem distant and out of touch.

11. "Goals goals goals"

Current Employee - Teller Coordinator in Annapolis, MD
    Current Employee - Teller Coordinator in Annapolis, MD

Pros

Benefits
    Coworkers
    And that's pretty much it

Cons

Unattainable goals
    Upper management
    Unorganized

Clients are the rudest!!!

Showing 362 of 1,836 reviews