SunTrust Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated August 16, 2017
1,900 reviews

Full-timePart-time

3.1
SunTrust President and CEO William H. (Bill) Rogers Jr.
William H. (Bill) Rogers Jr.

1,900 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work-Life Balance (Team Dependent); technology should be more advanced for a corporation this size (in 52 reviews)

• A bit too political for my taste in upper management (in 94 reviews)

1. "Survey about working for SunTrust Bank."

Current Employee - Lead Teller in Lawrenceburg, TN
    Current Employee - Lead Teller in Lawrenceburg, TN

Pros

SunTrust is good to their employees. They offer great benefits, and there is always ways to make more money through incentive plans, promotional activities, competitions, etc. With SunTrust, the sky is the limit. You don't have to stay a teller or a customer service rep your whole time with SunTrust. They want you to grow as much as you want to your self. With most large companies, you only hear about the "big dogs" with the company, but with SunTrust, you actually hear FROM the big dogs. They are constantly staying in contact with every postion out there to make sure that they're satisfied and offer suggestions to help them better achieve their goals.

Cons

Honestly, there are not really any downsides to working for SunTrust in my opinion. The company overall is a great place to work for. Now, any time that you're dealing with the public, it's not always going to be fun.. but that isn't just going for SunTrust.. that is with any company or business. But working with the public is good for you. It teaches you how to cope and deal with all kinds of people. It gives you experience so that you can better your self, whether it is with SunTrust or not. Overall.. SunTrust doesn't have any downsides, in my opinion.

Advice to Management

The only advice that I would give to senior management is just to keep on talking. When you are at branch level as I am, it feels good to know that you are personally hearing from senior manangement. It makes you feel as if they appreciate you. So as long as they keep talking and teaching, I'm satisfied.

2. "A wonderful company to work for !"

Current Employee - Branch Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Branch Manager in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Great people ! Great learning experience ! Serious about good customer service ! SunTrust has a superb training program designed to develop the best professionals in the banking industry.

Cons

Not having enough support from upper management when extremely necessary. Sometimes you are out on your own. It could be isolated to my area, but communicating the real issues sometimes seems like career suicide.

Advice to Management

Help the branches in need of new equipment and full staff.

3. "SunTrust is a great place to work and build a career."

Current Employee - Financial Services Representative in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Financial Services Representative in Atlanta, GA

Pros

good company, strong fundamentals, good culture and lots of opportunity. If you are ambitious it will be recoanized and usually quickly.

Cons

There really are none, except it can feel like you are removed from managment...especially upper management at times. The computer systems are old...very old. Branch Managers do exactly what they are told and there is little room to inovation or thinking outside the box. it's kind of a do what you are told culture. if you are a few mintues late to work, you will get writen up and someone will read the company policy on being late. you get treated like a child and that's becuase most assistant managers are only doing thier job because they are waiting to get promoted to another department outside of retail.

Advice to Management

let the little guys know what is going on. Please, please, please upgrade the computer systems in the retail bracnhes. It's old, antiquated, and no one likes using them. Even clients recognize this.

4. "Working at SunTrust"

Current Employee - Teller in Albany, GA
    Current Employee - Teller in Albany, GA

Pros

SunTrust offers excellent pay and great benefits! Plus there are discounts for being an employee.

Cons

By SunTrust being one of the top 10 banks in the US, the have really high goals to meet.

Advice to Management

I would recommend that management listen more to the employees and really value what the say.

5. "Great Place to work"

Current Employee - Stoli Representative II in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Stoli Representative II in Nashville, TN

Pros

Very proactive in training and providing the necessary tools to do you job. Benefits are good, opportunities for advancement are available

Cons

when first starting you start at 32.5 hours a week. Really would like to be able to start on a full time basis

Advice to Management

Consider starting new hires as full time instead of the current 32.5 hours a week

6. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Applications Developer III in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Applications Developer III in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Great benefit. One of the few companies with 401K and retirement benefits. I will recommend Suntrust to anyone. Good luck.

Cons

This company has many processes and procedures that must be followed before any application can be released to production. Sometimes it could be frustrating.

Advice to Management

Good leadership. I worked with a great team. One of the few companies with 401K and retirement benefits. I will recommend Suntrust to anyone. THe senior management is good.

7. "I LOVE MY JOB"

Current Employee - Banking Sales in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Banking Sales in Orlando, FL

Pros

Everyone is really kind and helpful. I love the product we offer our customer and we have excellent benefits too.

Cons

I have to stay in one location throughout the day and they frown upon using your iphone to surf the net.

Advice to Management

Spend more time focusing on the positive and building your team up. I would also like to use my iphone more.

8. "SunTrust Rocks!"

Current Employee - Loan Underwriter/Consumer Lending in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Loan Underwriter/Consumer Lending in Orlando, FL

Pros

Competetive Salaries, Execellent Opportunities. This company seems to value its employees. Recently when the economic times changed, and we all feared our jobs were in jeaopardy, SunTrust stood by us. Weather we had to be temporarly re-allocated to another department or moved to another job all-together, SunTrust has a certain loyalty to its employees. Seeing this first hand made me realize that this is where i want to be till i retire. I must say im quite proud of my bank and employer. i dont know too many people that can say that.

Cons

If you like to work, SunTrust is definately the place to be. You will have PLENTY of work. Never a dull moment, constantly changing and improving.

Advice to Management

Keep It Up!

9. "Positive"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Pros

A solid company with a long history dating back to the late 19th-century. Excellent benefits package.

Cons

Too many internal mergers that interfere with tracking and measuring productivity for enterprise technology.

Advice to Management

Ask your employees on the front lines for their candid observations before making decisions.

"Very good experience"

Former Employee - Teller II in Clermont, FL
    Former Employee - Teller II in Clermont, FL

Pros

Ive worked for other banks in the past so i feel justified in saying that SunTrust is a very good environment as compared to others. Much less sales pressure for TELLERS at SunTrust.

Cons

Typical banking job issues. i.e. sales pushing can get annoying at times & the overall environment can become stuffy if you're teammates take things too seriously all the time. Bank employees are just too "on-edge" sometimes...

Advice to Management

the ROM's (operations person in charge of multiple branches) have NO CLUE about how things really work.... branch employees just appease their dumb requests because we have to, but most of the time, they make NO sense. please address that.

Showing 1,900 of 1,942 reviews