SunTrust Reviews | Glassdoor

1,800 reviews

Full-time Part-time

1,800 Employee Reviews

Pros
Cons
  • Work-Life Balance (Team Dependent); technology should be more advanced for a corporation this size (in 47 reviews)

• Upper management isn't realistic when it comed to proper teammate staffing and teammate goals (in 86 reviews)

"Good Benefits but Chaotic"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at SunTrust full-time

Pros

Great Benefits, good work-life balance and the teammates are wonderful people to work with. There is an emphasis on inclusion, diversity, health & wellness, and personal financial education.

Cons

The left hand NEVER seems to know what the right hand is doing. There seems to be very poor planning for the introduction of new (or changes to existing) functionality leading to confusion and a lot of fire-drills.

Advice to Management

Take a look at the business processes and where the breakdowns are occurring. Promote cross-team collaboration and whole project team responsibility to reduce the blame-game tactics.

"Do you like being over worked, unappreciated and underpaid? This is the job for you."

Current Employee - Teller Coordinator in Edgewater, FL
    Current Employee - Teller Coordinator in Edgewater, FL

I have been working at SunTrust full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, paid vacation, paid holidays. Some branches are closed on Saturday so you may or may not have to work weekends. Getting to know your customers and help them when they are actually in need.

Cons

Where to start...
    Training is awful, you first have about 75 computer trading modules to complete. Then there is only three days of teller training where you learn how to use a system older than civilization and then you go observe someone for another few days. It's definitely a learn as you go and there are a lot of discretionary decisions that can be left up to each branch. If you need help you call India and hope to God you can understand the person who is doing their best to help.
    Sales, sales, sales!!! Customer service is supposedly top priority but you are required to sell or "help" the client. It is just like another big bank that was recently sued due to high pressure sales.
    Each year the bank makes it more and more difficult to meet goal. You are just a number and if you can't meet the goals they will coach you up or out.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees well, and give them the tools needed to do their jobs. Stop pressuring sales or else you will end up exactly where "the other bank" did except you aren't going to be able to recover. I'm so disappointed in SunTrust, they used to be a great company to work for and bank with.

3. "Personal Banker"

Current Employee - Personal Banker IV in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Personal Banker IV in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at SunTrust full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits are ok. There really isn't any pros besides what every other company has to offer which is benefits. Nothing is different about the benefits

Cons

Where do I start? Coming from another large financial institution I assumed Suntrust Bank would've been up-to-date on their technology. They have the oldest money order machine and cashiers check machine. Everything is done on paper, NOTHING is done electronic not even retention. (If I would've known Suntrust systems was older than my mom I would've asked for more money.
    The staffing is horrible, pretty much every location have one or two tellers. The Teller Coordinator is just a lead teller and the branch manager is just a lead banker. The area managers don't allow their branch managers to make any decisions, they don't even allow them to hire their own bankers. As a matter of fact they don't allow them to interview their bankers. The area managers are bullies, they constantly talk about sales sales sales, now they don't won't to say sales or goals, now the new thing to say is "how can you help your client move to financial freedom", if you didn't "help your client" or better yet get a sale then they are down your throat. Every single day there is a sales or "how can we help our clients" meeting. Employees are constantly on Suntrust system looking for job opportunities outside of Suntrust. Because all the suntrust locations are understaff the branch manager can deny your vacation because of the staff unless they find help from another location so the best thing to do is just call off, speaking of sick days you ONLY get five sick days for the entire year. If I could give any advice I would say try to get on at Bank of America, Wells Fargo, or even PNC before you consider Suntrust. If Suntrust is your only option then definitely negotiate your pay. Don't settle for less. A banker can get up to 48k and a teller coordinator 47k DO NOT ACCEPT THE FIRST OFFER PLEASE NEGOTIATE YOJR SALART

Lastly, leadership on every level suck. Senior leader visited my branch with my area manager and he didn't speak to not one employee. Suntrust is a joke of a company

Advice to Management

Stop being bullies to your team members, stop pushing sales sales sales "how can we help our clients", stop having sales meeting every day, Monday morning there should be a sales meeting but every day after should be a team building meeting not a team beat up meeting, learn how to coach your staff instead of insulting your staff, branch managers have some balls and speak up to your area managers, defend your team

"Worst company to work for."

Current Employee - Manager in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Manager in Orlando, FL

I have been working at SunTrust full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There is no good reason to work for SunTrust. Stay away from the banking industry. Constant turnover and management to so micro.

Cons

Goals are ridiculous. Management is brutal. Supposed to pretend there are no goals but constantly being beaten up on why goals are not met.

6. "Managing Director"

Former Employee - Managing Director in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Managing Director in Atlanta, GA

I worked at SunTrust (More than 10 years)

Pros

Pay for performance
    Aggressive on credit

Cons

Your career gets decided in hallway conversations

Advice to Management

Invest in treasury management

7. "Bad company"

Former Employee - Personal Banker in Pensacola, FL
    Former Employee - Personal Banker in Pensacola, FL

I worked at SunTrust full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits not much more

Cons

Management only hires friends, management talks down to employees saying "we are all replaceable" which is known but doesn't build moral or company loyalty.

Advice to Management

Corporate should have ears on the ground to get loyal employees. Too much turnover because middle management shows very little respect to its employees.

8. "Customer Service Representative II"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Nashville, TN

I worked at SunTrust full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits, Training, Celebrations, special occasions, Department Game Day

Cons

Disrespect, All customer service representative are required to sell bank products for raises. Seniority is not used for promotions.

Advice to Management

IDK

"Branch Manager I"

Current Employee - Branch Manager in Gainesville, FL
    Current Employee - Branch Manager in Gainesville, FL

I have been working at SunTrust full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent benefits, company with a noble stated purpose.

Cons

Managers of banking center 1 locations are worked like dogs. Bare minimum staffing, many days you wind up running a teller drawer, on conference calls, expected to be out visiting businesses, AND you're still responsible for half the platform sales goal. Many days expected to work without a lunch break. When your staffing isn't bare bones, you wind up sending coverage to other branches and creating short staffing at your branch. Morale is extremely low internally and outlook seems to be roundly negative.

Advice to Management

Wake up. Staff your branches fully and pay your employees what other banks are willing to pay them or you will continue to lose top talent to competitors.

"Good benefits but too much change that isn't well thought out"

Current Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at SunTrust full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits and compensation so far

Cons

Constant organization change in every part of the organization

Advice to Management

Stop changing management so much

11. "Teller coordinator"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Port Richey, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Port Richey, FL

I have been working at SunTrust full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Overall a pretty great company for. Branch management is very fair and flexible.

Showing 1,800 of 1,837 reviews