SunTrust Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

1,999 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work-Life Balance (Team Dependent); technology should be more advanced for a corporation this size (in 54 reviews)

• Lack of leadership with upper management on the campus level (in 99 reviews)

"Horrific...Psychosis"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Pros

a paycheck
    benefits (health, vision, dental)

Cons

incompetent management
    no technology...cant even say its outdated...bc there is none
    no rapport among colleagues...too many chiefs and not enough Indians...
    Senior Management lack of communication to middle management and associates
    no monetary incentive
    no balance between work and life concept

Advice to Management

learn from larger banks how to run a corporation

2. "I felt as if I was treated as a child, and never given the opportunity to do my job."

Former Employee - Banker in Wilmington, NC
    Former Employee - Banker in Wilmington, NC

Pros

Employees in Atlanta, Ga., get buy one get one free tickets to Atlanta Braves baseball games Monday through Thursday. Pretty good discounts at the ATL aquarium too.

Cons

30 min. lunches, incredibly low pay, poor incentive plan, low opportunity for growth, litte movement in the area creates few chances to get a raise. They also do customer service surveys on their own customers asking to be rated on a 1-10 scale. However, if the customer gives any score other than a 9 or 10, the employee is given a 0.

Advice to Management

Don't treat your employees like robotic monkeys. Put more emphasis on hiring strong candidates and keeping your best people, instead of paying them peanuts until they leave for better opportunities.

3. "Only a numbers game"

Current Employee - Teller in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Teller in Charlotte, NC

Pros

Paid time off, pension, 5% 401k match

Cons

Only care about numbers, No room for advancement even with college degree, push different services on clients that could care less, out dated technology

4. "Micro management 101"

Current Employee - Branch Manager in Charlottesville, VA
    Current Employee - Branch Manager in Charlottesville, VA

Pros

Its very hard to lose your Job

Cons

LOW LOW PAY. New hires paid well above current employees. Even if you have been successful its always what have done for me lately! Not a place for leaders.

Advice to Management

Stop the micro managing before you become Wells or B of A. What happened to BSR now we are back to a numbers game. Look at the middle management REALLY are they leaders or just managing to your numbers.

"Horrible Management"

Former Employee - Teller Coordinator in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Teller Coordinator in Miami, FL

Pros

Company has great benefits and retirements plans

Cons

Extremely short staffed, lack of communication between management, no consideration to employees, lack of training, worst work experience I've had in my 10 years of banking

Advice to Management

Get some people skills and take at least a management course because there's a lack of both!

6. "Sink or Swim."

Former Employee - Client Support Specialist in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Client Support Specialist in Washington, DC

Pros

The health benefits were very good.

Cons

No job security and management will throw employees under the bus.

Advice to Management

Treating employees badly does not grow your bottom line. Former employees take their experience and contacts to other businesses.

7. "No career path, good if you have reached where you want to be in career."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Flexible work arrangements, allow working remotely.
    Generous vacation days
    Status quo is the norm, overly laid back.
    Good place to be if you have no aspirations and just waiting out retirement and don't want to be challenged.

Cons

Cronyism, non-merit based promotion is the norm. Poor leadership/management. No career path. Need to get comp coming in. Typically hire external talent over internal talent. Does not groom or prepare/grow internal talent for promotions (cronys).

Advice to Management

Put action behind your words/rhetoric. It's past time to clean house of all the ineffective and zero value add senior management (which is most of you).

"Makes me strive to do much better than this place."

Current Employee - Teller III in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Teller III in Atlanta, GA

Pros

The pay at SunTrust is much greater than the other banking jobs that I've held.

Cons

In my particular branch, it seems like the management staff is constantly trying to put you down and not effectively coaching staff to ensure that everyone is fully knowledgeable on SunTrust as a whole and on products and services. Although I've worked at a couple of other banks before, each bank has a different way of doing things and you would think that there would be adequate training to know how SunTrust operates. I am often left to try to find answers to questions on the internal website, which I might add is not organized at all, since the staff does not care to help at all.
    The system that we use for our transactions, BancStar, is extremely old and out of date. WaMu before it was converted over to Chase had a better operating system and even that was pretty out of date.

Advice to Management

The staff is what will make your branch profitable and generate positive results. If you ignore them, offer no help, and constantly put them down, then the employees will be in no mood to want to do well and your branch will suffer. Also, please treat your part-time and peak-time tellers better. Although they are not there all day and only a few days a week, they are a crucial part of the operation.

"Unprofessional Severe Disconnect between upper and lower management"

Current Employee - Financial Services Representative in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Financial Services Representative in Washington, DC

Pros

They pay in US currency. Experience has no bearing on Salary. If I knew what I know now I would not have done this

Cons

Where do I begin? In-store branches are the devil. Open all of the time. Open til 7 is a pain in the neck

Advice to Management

LISTEN to your team. The office will run smoother. Offices dont do well with threats. Please motivate. Dont hate. Thank you

"Good pay, good insurance, HOWEVER NOT WORTH THE PRESSURE PUT ON YOU"

Former Employee - Any in Erwin, NC
    Former Employee - Any in Erwin, NC

I worked at SunTrust full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great insurance, vacation, and pay

Cons

Ask more from employees as far as goals and monthly requirements than is even possible.

Advice to Management

Investigate and appreciate the honest, hard working, committed employees you have

Showing 1,999 of 2,048 reviews