SunTrust Reviews | Glassdoor

1,802 reviews

Full-time Part-time

1,802 Employee Reviews

Pros
Cons
  • Work-Life Balance (Team Dependent); technology should be more advanced for a corporation this size (in 47 reviews)

• Upper management isn't realistic when it comed to proper teammate staffing and teammate goals (in 86 reviews)

1. "Great opportunity, but not all local branch managers are equal."

Former Employee - Financial Services Representative in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Financial Services Representative in Atlanta, GA

I worked at SunTrust full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work directly with clients, company training

Cons

Understaffed branches. Managers with an aggressive approach towards sales goals.

Advice to Management

Focus on service to current customers over rather than pushing non-members towards sign-ups and loan/credit applications.

2. "Good experience, but...."

Former Employee - Teller
    Former Employee - Teller

I worked at SunTrust (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay and decent benefits even for part time employees,

Cons

Standards and goals are kind of frustrating and annoying because it changes motivation to just getting a number, instead of actually helping people or getting them what they need

Advice to Management

Stop harping on the numbers so much.

3. "Accountant"

I worked at SunTrust full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I joined the company because the pay is ok and decent vacation days. But the Nasty working environment and rude coworkers are intolerable. Stay away if you could. Run faster..

Cons

The biggest mistake I made is to joined this organization! Stunning experience and daily work is a nightmare. The system is old and outdated which makes this bank in a bad shape in the industry.

5. "Some pros, more cons"

Current Employee - Bank Teller
    Current Employee - Bank Teller

I have been working at SunTrust part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Management is great, they are receptive to our needs and we communicate well as a team. I am attempting to transfer to a higher position in Atlanta, as I soon graduate with my Bachelors degree; my area manager has expressed interest in helping me get in contact with the right people.
    We are closed on Saturdays, get every federal holiday off and paid, PTO vacation and sick time.

Cons

The pay is honestly lousy. SunTrust offers mid-year and annual raises corresponding with your reviews--I received a 4 out of 5 (which is marked as commendable) and only received a 30 cent raise for the second year in a row...I do not believe this corresponds with my performance.
    Sometimes I feel as management just tells us what we want to hear; they often contradict statements I have spoken with my coworkers about.
    Higher ranking individuals who come audit the branch are very intimidating and seem as if they are there to create chaos, find anything to make us fail said audit, and not give beneficial feedback. I understand they are making sure we are in compliance, however, they tend to lie about when they are coming, breathe down our backs when we are assisting clients, and are very pushy with sales.
    Oh yes, the sales... numbers are everything at SunTrust; if you do not reach your sales goal (even part time employees have an extremely unreasonable sales goal) you are harrassed about what you did wrong.
    We see the same clients every day, it is very difficult to "help" them every time they come in the bank (and by help I mean sell them credit cards, new bank accounts, loans, etc) and make it seem like we aren't just trying to sell them products.

6. "IWM - Great working environment, not clear on strategy"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

I worked at SunTrust full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very experienced team members
    Willing to share knowledge
    Very focused on helping international clients from Latin America/Caribbean mostly
    Teamwork is great
    Strong brand name and market presence
    Very good benefits - Health Plan, Insurance, 401k
    Excellent working environment
    Strong ethical organization
    Have all the branch, banking, lending products and market presence necessary

Cons

Systems can be outdated
    Not clear how IWM fits into broader ST strategy
    Unclear commitment from the top
    Limited product availability for international clients
    Very risk adverse, can go too far and damage decades long client relationships

Advice to Management

Communicate with the team and let them know where they fit into larger ST picture
    Remember you can manage risk, don't let it manage you

7. "ABM"

I worked at SunTrust full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If you word hard and the company will get you some extra reward.

Cons

Stressful for the new checking account every day.

8. "Sun"

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at SunTrust full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Pay and hours are great

Cons

Goals are impossible to make, everything revolves around goals.

"Do you like being over worked, unappreciated and underpaid? This is the job for you."

Current Employee - Teller Coordinator in Edgewater, FL
    Current Employee - Teller Coordinator in Edgewater, FL

I have been working at SunTrust full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, paid vacation, paid holidays. Some branches are closed on Saturday so you may or may not have to work weekends. Getting to know your customers and help them when they are actually in need.

Cons

Where to start...
    Training is awful, you first have about 75 computer trading modules to complete. Then there is only three days of teller training where you learn how to use a system older than civilization and then you go observe someone for another few days. It's definitely a learn as you go and there are a lot of discretionary decisions that can be left up to each branch. If you need help you call India and hope to God you can understand the person who is doing their best to help.
    Sales, sales, sales!!! Customer service is supposedly top priority but you are required to sell or "help" the client. It is just like another big bank that was recently sued due to high pressure sales.
    Each year the bank makes it more and more difficult to meet goal. You are just a number and if you can't meet the goals they will coach you up or out.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees well, and give them the tools needed to do their jobs. Stop pressuring sales or else you will end up exactly where "the other bank" did except you aren't going to be able to recover. I'm so disappointed in SunTrust, they used to be a great company to work for and bank with.

10. "Mortgage Loan Officer"

Current Employee - Mortgage Loan Officer in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Mortgage Loan Officer in Orlando, FL

I have been working at SunTrust full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good bank in the southeast region. Management is really paying attention to the mortgage division and are behind a lot of what is going on...

Cons

a lot of the problems in processing have been fixed it seems...eager to see things keep improving...pay more for than 35 bps for branch referrals. You want the loan officers to work the branches but don't pay enough for them to want to.

11. "Recommend"

Current Employee - Human Resources
    Current Employee - Human Resources

I have been working at SunTrust full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits, financial and physical well-being, development

Cons

None I have not experienced in other large firms.

Showing 1,802 of 1,839 reviews