SunTrust Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2,025 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work-Life Balance (Team Dependent); technology should be more advanced for a corporation this size (in 55 reviews)

• Lack of leadership with upper management on the campus level (in 100 reviews)

1. "Bad Experience"

I worked at SunTrust full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good benefits and decent pay

Cons

Totally disorganized and poor leadership.

Advice to Management

Reach down to your people.

"Corporate Office Review"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at SunTrust full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great pay and 401k company match.

Cons

Very political and constantly reorganizing.

Advice to Management

Develop programs that will allow staff to easily promote up.

3. "Enterprise Operational Risk Management"

I have been working at SunTrust full-time

Pros

Teammates who have been with the team for multiple years are committed to the success of the program.

Cons

New management is extremely green and learning on the job.

Advice to Management

Senior management should have a clear game plan before making changes rather than figuring things out on the fly.

"SunTrust should never be allowed to do this to any employee again. Know your rights."

Former Employee - Personal Banker in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Personal Banker in Richmond, VA

I worked at SunTrust full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This review can be read in its entirety in the Cons section below.

Cons

I will preface this review saying, after over 20 years of working, I have never felt compelled to write such a review. I hope that I never have to write one again.
    I resigned from SunTrust partly due to stress related to the pressure I began to feel from sales and a “product pushing” environment. It was not for me. I wanted to pursue other interests. My final paycheck was owed to me on the 15th day of the month. The paycheck was deposited and reflected in my account. Upon attempting to make a purchase on the 16th, my card declined. I immediately checked my bank account. SunTrust electronically reversed my entire paycheck. I did not receive ANY type of communication regarding this. Not a phone call, email, or letter via USPS. I immediately called Human Resources. They informed me that SunTrust made an error and overpaid me. I do not know how, I submitted final timesheets. They took my entire paycheck without notice or warning. I was told the next processing date would be the 17th, and I would have that pay no later than the 21st.
    I was not paid on the 21st. Upon contacting human resources again, I was told that processing would not take place until the 27th, and I would be paid the 28th or 29th.
    HR could/would NOT tell me the amount of my final check or an exact pay date. When asked about a quarterly bonus, rightfully earned, if I would still be getting it, they told me I need to ask my manager. When I asked my area manager, I was told I needed to ask HR.
    Aside from SunTrust’s complete mismanagement and lack of communication. An error which they are 100% responsible for has caused me financial loss, hardship, time, and additional stress. I caught their pay reversal in time to transfer the majority of my savings to cover the automatic bills I had coming out. Had I not, I would have incurred late fees as well as additional overdraft fees. I have been forced to withdrawal from a retirement fund, losing nearly $500 to taxes and penalties, for other bills upcoming, rent, and the ability to travel home for the holidays. I requested that they please expedite the payroll process. SunTrust refused the request to expedite pay owed to me.
    It is incredibly disturbing that a bank, one of the largest in the U.S. can so easily mismanage, and then not pay an employee in a timely manner. SunTrust’s entire foundation is to “build financial confidence.” However, they force an employee into incurring financial losses due to their error and refuse to be accountable for it. They want bankers to hound clients about closing equity loans or activating a credit card, but does not make the importance of access to payroll funds a priority for an employee.
    Let it be reflected that, as of 11/22/17, I still have not received the pay owed to me. I also now have great concern that it will not be what is owed to me, if and when received. SunTrust is not only responsible for paying me, but they are responsible for the losses they have caused.
    Know your rights. SunTrust should never be allowed to put anyone in this position again.
    For your rights as an employee please refer to the Department of Labor.
    Virginia residents can refer to:
    Code of Virginia. Title 40.1. Labor and Employment. Chapter 3. Protection of Employees
    § 40.1-29. Time and medium of payment; withholding wages;
    written statement of earnings; agreement for forfeiture of
    wages; proceedings to enforce compliance; penalties

Advice to Management

No comment.

5. "Benefits Issues"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

I worked at SunTrust full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The salary was good, as was the immediate team I worked with.

Cons

After the first of the year, they refused to cover prenatal coverage for my pregnant wife. We knew she was pregnant at insurance signups, so I made certain to specify a policy that included prenatal care, but they reneged on it after the first of the year, even sending me a copy of the policy that CLEARLY stated it was covered.

Advice to Management

Your word is your bond. Stick to it.

"Personal Banker 4"

I have been working at SunTrust full-time

Pros

Great benefits and company culture.

Cons

Tough sales goals and requirements to be successful.

Advice to Management

Reduce the sales quotas or increase incentives.

7. "Manager"

I have been working at SunTrust full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Purpose driven and culture. Love the marketing appearance. The ceo is in the public eye a lot , speaking and sharing vision. Time off and benefits are comparable to others. Pay seems low though and even more so if your a women.

Cons

Technology, choppiness and disconnected departments, some management doesn’t know how to communicate effectively and actually tears teammates down rather than encourage and build up.

Advice to Management

my advice is to the area of technology and spending the money now to improve that so you can gain a larger clientele and keep them. Defragment the departments as much as possible: the right hand has no idea what the left hand is up to and makes the business look unintelligent.

8. "sales manager"

Pros

There is nothing good about this organization

Cons

Corrupt bankers , widget driven, no concern for customers

Advice to Management

They need to make sure that there is proper scrutiny on all bankers.

9. "Decent company"

Current Employee - Branch Manager
    Current Employee - Branch Manager

I have been working at SunTrust full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent mobility and ability to be promoted. Good consumer banking products, making it easy to recommend products to clients. Upper management shows concern towards employees having proper work/life balance.

Cons

Health and other benefits are not as strong as other banks.

"Personal Banker"

I worked at SunTrust full-time

Pros

A great start to begin your career.

Cons

The pressure to sale is intense.

Advice to Management

Should manage the team to individual strengths.

Showing 2,025 of 2,073 reviews