SunTrust Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2,024 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work-Life Balance (Team Dependent); technology should be more advanced for a corporation this size (in 55 reviews)

• Lack of leadership with upper management on the campus level (in 100 reviews)

"Unless you are desperate for a job!!!"

Current Employee - Vice President in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Vice President in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at SunTrust full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good market share in the Atlanta market and good brand recognition help teammates attract new clients.

Cons

For the last 4 years the company has gone from a sales culture to a customer service culture, to a customer and sales culture, to a only sales culture. They have change twice the sales format and are looking to change it again. There are no real opportunities to grow and he best opportunities are given to external candidates. The employee engagement level is very low.

Advice to Management

They might be getting short term results but in the long term, they are killing the company.

2. "Underwriter or Loan Closer"

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Orlando, FL

I have been working at SunTrust full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The 401(K) was raised to 6%

Cons

What an awful, awful place to work. If you are a credit underwriter or a loan closer DO NOT TAKE THIS JOB. It is a culture of blame, criticism and threats. All under the umbrella of a sweat shop mentality. My best advice would be if you have a job, DO NOT COME HERE !!!. If you do not have a job then take it but expect to be miserable, like everyone else. I even had a head hunter call me and tell me he has heard there are a lot of unhappy people working here.

Advice to Management

Get rid of middle management and bring insome fresh faces. The managment here is awful.

3. "Too much red tapes"

I worked at SunTrust full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Looks good on your resume

Cons

stuck in old style of management.

"Financial Service Representative III Personal Banker III"

Former Employee - Personal Banker III in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Personal Banker III in Orlando, FL

I worked at SunTrust full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Domestic Partner Insurance
    100% matching up to 6% of your 401k plan
    The relationships you get to build with your clients is awesome because they become your friend and they trust you.

Cons

- Retail Branch. When you have to work your Saturday, they make you go home early or come in late during the week to allocate your 4 hours to work on Saturday. They don't pay you extra for you to work on Saturday. (extra day to drive into the office more dry cleaning)
    - They make you wear a full suit to a job that does not and will not pay more than 40k a year including commission.
    - The commission is a joke. You will not make 2k a month in commission as promised in interview. More like $200 and that is only if you manipulate the system.
    - They write you up for the smallest things so they can take your $200 commissions away for the next month. Hair cut not to their standards, jacket to keep warm not the style they want.
    - Management is not interested in helping inhouse employees move up the chain, just themselves.
    - Their technology is based on software from the 80s and poorly patched together . So there is no easy intuitive training session. You have to be at the company for at least 2 years to fully understand all the software and backwards ways of having to do stuff.
    -Their customer survey polls are ridiculously hard to maintain as a 10 or a 9. If you get a score of 8 its just like being a 1 so there is no point in trying very hard to get a perfect score.
    - If your branch is short an employee you can not take vacation even if they are a teller and you are a Financial Sales Rep (Personal Banker now)
    -40-50% of your time is as a teller if one calls out because they have skeleton crews.
    - Their raises for your salary were .5% IF you got one.
    - Hitting your goal was not enough. If you hit 100% of your goals, you are equated to doing a good job and on a scale of 1-5 and 5 being the best, you were only a 3.
    - Sales goals were ridiculous and impossible to hit. I was in the top 20% of the company and the top 10% of my region and i was threatened with write ups if my numbers did not improve.
    - They made me work financial events without being paid. My time was volunteered in hopes of being able to get referrals to make commission on Investment Referrals. those were worth trying to go after.
    - Not working the events was heavily frowned upon and you were made to feel like you were not a part of the team.
    -Management is given the same ridiculous goals so they are always down your throat to hit your goals.
    - If another branch is short a person and you are requested to work at their branch, your sales at there branch did not count for your home branch so they would not go towards your personal goals, just your commissions, so you could sell the WORLD and get paid, but you would not see that sale as part of your home branch goal so if it was a big hit that would over shoot you on your personal Goal, you would not get it.
    - You are required to have a log for EVERYTHING you do. Log your phone calls, log your clients coming in, log why you were not able to sell them a Credit Card, a Mortgage, a new checking account, or safe deposit box. Logging everything you do takes time away from your sales, start automating things.
    - No Holiday parties at all unless we paid for it ourselves.
    -No attempt to make you feel appreciated by doing a luncheon for us for hitting goals.
    - No team building exercises.
    - Upper management did not listen to employees concerns about the debit card fee that they tried to charge a few years ago. Staff had no problem with all the other fees that SunTrust was going to charge, but explaining to the client why they were to be charged a debit card fee was horrific. Corporate even came out with these videos showing bankers talking to actor clients. The actor client, after being explained why the fee was being charged, were then instantly satisfied with paying the fee. We knew this was not going to be the case and they flipped! Upper management finally listened after a slew of complaints came across the national news about this fee.

Advice to Management

Lighten up on your staff and dont pressure them into their sales. If you were paying HUGE commissions, then yes, you can treat employees the way you treat them. Getting someones entire relationship in one sitting is near impossible even if you go that "extra degree" that you love to propose at every sales meeting. Have Career Development meetings with your staff not annual reviews that bash why you are a bad employee even though your numbers show different. I was always told, yes, you are good in your region and your area, but look at the Entire SunTrust footprint. You are not even in the top 50%. Well, In my market and in my region, I was good. Im not in the other markets so you can not compare me to them when im looking for my raises and career development.
    Have team building exercises, have holiday parties, make your staff feel appreciated.

5. "Okay employer no growth opportunity"

Pros

Hired without experience however the hours were not great and there are not many other pros I can state other than. I received the. Experience

Cons

Very sales orientated and very little career growth opportunity. Too much organizational change and money. Spent on technology that didn't need improvement and little spent on what needed it

Advice to Management

Too much. Micromanagement

"Only thing worse than a bad culture is a complacent one""

Current Employee - Project Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at SunTrust full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nobody will notice if you slack off. I come in at 9am and leave at 5pm. Everyday. Really like my coworkers (most of the time). If you value spending more time at home than work and don't mind a pay cut then this is the place for you. People act like they care. If you're a southern, conservative male WASP this is your paradise.

Cons

Bare-bones, cost cutting at all the way. Accountability does not exist. Very male "good guy" culture. I see men getting ahead at the company a lot faster than women and in general they seem to get more respect. There is no momentum in a single direction, more like fragmented choruses singing the same story "we're getting better, we're getting better." My first boss was disorganized and bullied me. My second boss played favorites and couldn't be direct. On your in-balance you will have to "rate yourself" and then watch management go back and "force fit" the rankings to that only a few people get decent "raises" (less than $5,000). That's called a cost of living adjustment to barely keep up with inflation, not a RAISE.

Advice to Management

Stop preaching improvement this, improvement that. Just make things better and stop the bureaucratic process insanity. Start treating women with professional and intellectual respect. Pick one thing you want to be the best at in the market and do that. Being mediocre at everything is miserable.

7. "Senior Vice President - Sales"

Current Employee - Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Sales Manager

I have been working at SunTrust full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Employees are supportive of each other

Cons

Very low employee morale, particularly on the sales side (client facing). Lots of downsizing... you don't know who will be gone next... lots of defections as people leave to go to other banks and other industries. It was once a stellar company but the shine is gone. People are taken for granted and left to feel dispensable. A lot of internal politics that get in the way of doing the right thing for the client.

Advice to Management

Scare tactics is not the way to build employee morale and loyalty. Leadership needs to learn how to be LEADERS people want to follow instead of "hide" from.

8. "Worst job experience of my life"

Former Employee - Teller Coordinator in Chesapeake, VA
    Former Employee - Teller Coordinator in Chesapeake, VA

I worked at SunTrust full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The money was incredible and the benefits were affordable. Training was sufficient

Cons

The people who work at the branches are the meanest! They do not want new employees and they will do everything to make you miserable! The sales pressures are so high that everyone is on edge and your co-workers tell you that management does not care

Advice to Management

fire most of your branch employees if you want good people to stick around

"Unrealistic Goals"

Former Employee - Client Service Specialist in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Client Service Specialist in Tampa, FL

I worked at SunTrust full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Absolutely nothing. SunTrust was once a great hybrid of community and corporate (much like Wachovia)... now the company has gone full corporate retard.

Cons

-Upper management in the Tampa Bay area has been replaced by BoA and Wells Fargo clones.
    -Monthly cash commission system was stripped in 2013 and replaced by a bogus quarterly point system that is unattainable in 90% of the branches.
    -Cold calling... PBs & CSSs are essentially glorified telemarketers with 10 times the responsibility.

Advice to Management

Hah... like they even care.

"Absolutely the worst place to work"

I worked at SunTrust part-time

Pros

I loved the work. Benefits are pretty good.

Cons

VERY strict on attendance in the STOLI call center. Will not work with you on problems that may arise that will cause you to miss work. Will not advance you. You're stuck in a position forever.

Advice to Management

Lay off a little bit. Your attendance policy should not be as strict as it is.

Showing 2,024 of 2,074 reviews