SunTrust Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

1,999 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work-Life Balance (Team Dependent); technology should be more advanced for a corporation this size (in 54 reviews)

• Lack of leadership with upper management on the campus level (in 99 reviews)

"Personal Banker"

I worked at SunTrust full-time

Pros

Great health and 401k benefits. Lots of room for growth great educational opportunities. Of course they have tuition reimbursement and online classes you can take at your leisure.

Cons

Wage discrimination alert! I was paid $7000 less than a younger male banker, with less experience.

The incentive structure for personal Bankers is confusing and minimal. it's an insult that they ask you to work as many hours as they do, and sell as much as they want you to, but your bonuses are dictated by referrals to other departments. For instance I had a business banking advisor that wouldnt talk to anyone with under $25000..that would be fine if that referral wasnt worth 500 points and the client wasnt viable. Meanwhile everday im opening checking and savings accounts worth 10 pts.

Advice to Management

If you know that a most personal bankers will spend most of their time opening savings and checking accounts, that is where a majority of the points should lie. Better yet stop pressuiring bankers. to sell products the public doesnt need. I had upper management tell me to push a credit card to a person on disability b/c "she might need the help".

2. "SunTrust"

I worked at SunTrust full-time

Pros

Salary, direct team that I supervised.

Cons

Inconsistency and unclear expectations

3. "work"

Current Employee - Personal Banker in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Personal Banker in Arlington, VA

I have been working at SunTrust full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very Good Bank to work for

Cons

I don't like to call client as 99% client do not answer there calls.

4. "Generic Personal Banker"

Current Employee - Personal Banker in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Personal Banker in Nashville, TN

I have been working at SunTrust full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Team... Great Checking/Credit Card Products!

Cons

Management likes to look busy with their branch visits, but what value do they really bring to the bank. Where is the career aspect of this bank?

Advice to Management

Get a clue! Having the local Nashville CEO post in a business publication that the retention rate was of no concern is the worst thing you could do for people looking for a career.

5. "Ok company"

Pros

Chance to learn corporate banking

Cons

Poor leadership, poor way of doing business

Advice to Management

replace leadership

"Horrible Management, largest turnover rate I’ve ever seen"

Current Employee - Bank Teller in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Bank Teller in Durham, NC

I have been working at SunTrust full-time (More than a year)

Pros

What SunTrust stands for I truly believe in. They give back to the community and I like their core values. The hiring process was easy. I enjoyed working with non-management because everyone who wasn’t a manager was down to earth. If you stick with it there are great opportunities for growth but that’s with any retail bank. I would suggest working at any other bank but this one.

Cons

Upper management is horrible in this region. Very out of touch with what it’s like in the day to day process of retail banking. They would expect unrealistic goals and give unrealistic advice on how to reach those goals. Upper management would stress out branch managers with these goals which would in turn make the branch managers just as unpleasant to work with. This is evident in the turnover rate, within my first 3 weeks working at SunTrust 2 people WALKED OUT of work and 2 more were fired for “sales related” issues.

Advice to Management

Please get someone working with upper management that has worked in the retail banking environment within the last 5 years. You being a teller in college 20 years ago does not make you qualified to tell me what it is like being a teller now. If banking has changed so much within the last 5 years why would you have no one with recent retail experience in upper management. It makes no sense and it makes for a horrible working environment. It is evident to me that if you have such a high turnover rate that you would notice there is a problem and fix it.

"Personal Banker llll"

Former Employee - Personal Banker in Homosassa Springs, FL
    Former Employee - Personal Banker in Homosassa Springs, FL

I worked at SunTrust full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefit package . Employees tend to stay. Great pay.

Cons

Stressful work environment . Too many reports, repetitious work... should only have to be done one time

Advice to Management

Lower assigned goals. Not all demografics have the same type of clients with the same needs

8. "Don't come here run the other way trust me !"

Current Employee - Branch Manager
    Current Employee - Branch Manager

I have been working at SunTrust full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I am still trying to figure out any pros the only thing I could come up with that this is a small enough bank that is give a community feel but big enough bank that you still have a corp feel. Best of both worlds

Cons

Lack of training
    Benefits suck I went from paying less than 350 monthly for my family to now paying about 750 a month for my family plus I have more cost for the ins for visits than with last employer
    Lack of operations and sense of bank security
    No plain directions and help ( resources are not worth crap)
    Outbound calling with the same leads
    Retention is horrible can't keep anyone with the company ( I am personally wanting to leave wishing I never left previous bank)
    Not honest and upfront

Advice to Management

Get your stuff together from operations, policy and procedures to products and most importantly taking care of your teammates!

9. "Culture changing but still a way to go"

I worked at SunTrust (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay is competitive, average team members engaged and good to work with.

Cons

Management routines actually hinder and get in the way of real work needed to be done to help teammates win.

Advice to Management

Let Branch Managers and District Managers do their job without looking over their shoulders and shadowing them every month. Some really great and seasoned Leaders are looking to leave because they are tired of being treated like inexperienced children.

10. "Customer Service Rep STOLI Orlando"

I worked at SunTrust full-time

Pros

Fun environment, good managers, commission

Cons

Back to back calls, hard to get good schedule, difficult to advance

Showing 1,999 of 2,048 reviews