SunTrust Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

1,967 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work-Life Balance (Team Dependent); technology should be more advanced for a corporation this size (in 53 reviews)

• A bit too political for my taste in upper management (in 96 reviews)

1. "Awful"

I worked at SunTrust full-time

Pros

Potlucks, food in general. They keep you quiet by feeding you

Cons

Everything else. Getting yelled at by clients everyday, no autonomy, can't even go to the bathroom when you need to, poor management that doesn't care or gets paid too much to care

2. "Branch Manager"

Current Employee - Branch Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Branch Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at SunTrust full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay and work life balance

Cons

Management sucks!!!! Area managers don't allow the branch managers to hire their own tellers and bankers, they'll just put someone in your store without allowing the branch manager to interview or even meet the person. Branch managers hog all of the walk ins and give the bankers all of the service. Suntrust sale goals are ridiculous, if they don't stop they will end up like Wells Fargo. Suntrust like to say "how can we help change our client lives" just to stay away from saying "how many accounts did you open, how many loans did you process", if you don't close on a loan or open a new household account you didn't change a life. Suntrust don't care about their clients unless it's something in it for them. Area managers are even worst than Branch managers, if your numbers aren't in platinum or gold status you will not get promoted, no matter how good of a worker you are. Area managers only look at numbers!!!! One last thing, if your branch manager don't like you they'll write negative things about you in workday so other managers can see it, so that being said if you try to post out other managers can always see what your current manager said about you.

Advice to Management

This have been one of the worst experience for me, I've been in the financial industry for 15 years and never had to go through type of management. Allow your branch managers to be managers and not high paid bankers, allow your teller coordinators to be teller managers and not high paid tellers. Area managers stop cursing at your team on calls, stop demanding sales to your branches.

"It was fine"

I worked at SunTrust full-time

Pros

They had good pretty benefits.

Cons

The sales goals were unrealistic

4. "Retail banking has improved, but can do better"

Current Employee - Teller Coordinator in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Teller Coordinator in Richmond, VA

I have been working at SunTrust full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are nice (healthcare, vision & dental insurance, 401(k) match, banking perks). In branch banking, you never have to work Sundays, and if you do work a Saturday, it's only a half day. The company is purpose-driven and emphasizes the importance of helping clients reach financial wellbeing. There is also a sincere request from employees for ways that the company can be a better place to work (ie. yearly teammate engagement survey and a private online community where teammates discuss things that could be introduced or reworked to improve experience).

Cons

The pay is not great which contradicts the mission of working toward financial confidence. Higher ups are extremely pushy when it comes to sales, and while goals have been lowered after the Wells Fargo scandal, the pressure is still there. There is also a failure to address problem employees who routinely start drama. The company is more focused on general retention than on disciplining or terminating employees who are consistently rude to clients or insubordinate toward their supervisors.

Advice to Management

Raise the pay for your employees! Also, when a teammate is a documented problem, please listen to the concerns of those who have to work with that person as well as the clients who give us their business.

5. "Former Employee"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at SunTrust full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I enjoy working for SunTrust during my tenure.

Cons

I worked there for ten years and was included in a RIF. I was a top performer and was offered other positions, but feel I should have never been put in this type predicament. This is the reason why I ultimately left the company.

Advice to Management

Value your top performers.

"Hostile work environment"

I worked at SunTrust full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The experience will give an employee a basis for comparison as to what a bad bank is like to work for.

Cons

Out of my almost 30 years in banking and finance, I found my time at SunTrust as a personal banker to be the worst job experience that I've ever had. The branch management is young and poorly trained and "leads" with insults and intimidation. The employees with longevity here are only accepting of this treatment as they've never work at a firm that manages with respect and support so has no basis for comparison. In turn, the employees that become managers have learned this behavior and perpetuates it. They attempt to retain employees by having these morning and afternoon "pep rallies" that simply parrot platitudes and slogans of what they say SunTrust believes in - yet they never practice what they preach. In addition, what they think are these unique concepts in both sales and client service are about 10-15 years behind other more successful companies. They pretend not to be like other banks to the public and to their employees, yet they push selling products just as much as other banks. At the same time, they undermine their staff's self confidence by purposely singling out tellers and bankers in their sales meetings right in front of other staff when their performance is not as strong for one day or one week- thus undermining any mutual respect or cohesion of staff. In addition, if a branch Manager simply doesn't like a member of their staff or they are different in anyway (or has any small difference of opinion in their dogma), they will purposely micromanage that person and bully that person until they leave or until they lie or twist things to document some sort of "conduct" violation to have them forced out- this also makes it so the person cannot be approved for unemployment.

Advice to Management

The entire management style and current staff needs to be completely revamped was th seasoned branch managers from other successful corporations that have a proven record of success in respecting and fostering employee's own goals. The young managers seem intimidated and insecure if someone has a unique and successful idea. These managers need to actually listen to their employees and care about each of their opinions, ideas and goals. Until SunTrust is open to different ideas and changing with the times, it will continue to have huge turnover in staff and only rely on growth from new customers, new loans and buying other bank's loans-and will not retain their customers or have repeat business. The poor morale from staff and customers is contagious.

"Outbound Sales"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cookeville, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cookeville, TN

I have been working at SunTrust full-time

Pros

Well paying, great benefits, flexible

Cons

Clients can be rude. The job can be mentally taxing.

8. "Going the way of the big banks"

I worked at SunTrust full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Tenured Branch Employees are wonderful

Cons

Culture of the Retail Bank being established at the top

"Best Bank in the Industry"

Current Employee - Branch Manager in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Branch Manager in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at SunTrust full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Purpose Driven Company. They truly care about all of their team-mates, and put clients top of mind. Benefits are fantastic. Advancement opportunities are great.

Cons

Never enough time in the day to get done all of what's asked.

"Personal Banker"

Former Employee - Personal Bn in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Personal Bn in Orlando, FL

I worked at SunTrust full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits. Time off. Typical bank hours.

Cons

Can be a tough sales environment. Upper management fixed on sales goals more than employees.

Advice to Management

Invest time into your employees and staff. Remember everyone succeeds when everyone is happy.

Showing 1,967 of 2,015 reviews