SunTrust Robinson Humphrey Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
SunTrust Robinson Humphrey Chairman, President and CEO John N. Gregg
John N. Gregg

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good work life balance, decent salary, low cost of living (in 8 reviews)

• Purpose Driven Investment Bank that focuses on Middle Market companies (in 11 reviews)

1. "Love STRH!"

Current Employee - Investment Banking Analyst in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Investment Banking Analyst in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at SunTrust Robinson Humphrey full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Outstanding culture. Good experience. Competitive pay especially when adjusted for cost of living. Great exposure to senior management and good experience

Cons

Exit opps are a bit more limited than a bulge bracket bank. Deal flow is solid but roles can be below what you would have at GS, etc.

Advice to Management

Continue to prosper a great culture within the firm. STRH is growing fast and a great place to work. Those are the two tings I love about working here.

"Conservative Southeastern Investment Bank"

Former Employee - Analyst in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Analyst in Atlanta, GA

I worked at SunTrust Robinson Humphrey full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Senior leadership is very accessible. John Gregg is very nice and actually seems to care about his employees. Compensation is good, especially considering the lower cost of living in Atlanta relative to other major cities. If you choose to stay in the Southeastern region of the country, having STRH on your resume will get you an interview or at least a call back most anywhere.

Cons

I will caveat my review by saying that your experience at STRH will differ significantly based on your group and team. Much of my issue with STRH is around investment banking culture, which is not unique to this organization. What is different at STRH is the pervasiveness of conservative, southern culture and values.

I found that though a "better culture" and focus on inclusion is stressed by senior leadership, it is not a vision followed by the entire organization. There is a clear lack of diversity, especially at more senior levels. Among the overwhelming majority of white males there is clear gender bias, possibly unconscious but insidious nonetheless. I noticed as a new analyst one of the first questions asked of any un-married female was whether she was dating, engaged, or getting married yet. The first questions asked of males was more to do with experience and career aspirations. During my time there I encountered and observed a number of inappropriate advances and demeaning comments. There is nothing like going to have a few drinks with friends and being essentially groped by multiple, more senior, male coworkers over the course of the evening. In addition, there was a startling lack of physical, mental, and emotional health among my coworkers there; though, there was no shortage of analysts serving as figurative punching bags for stressed out senior coworkers. It was at times entertaining to watch the effects of fragile male egos and toxic masculinity play out with each person trying to convince others (really himself) of his superiority. I don't personally believe that it is possible to define a person's worth solely by their ability to generate income, but the bankers there sure try!

My final critique is that there does not seem to be a strong enough emphasis on talent development at the analyst level, though some teams are better about this than others. In my experience the best rated analysts are those who do as they are told and don't think too much or ask too many questions. One would assume that anyone who is able to break into investment banking is very intelligent given how competitive it can be, but I did not always find that to be the case. The analyst job (a lot of turning comments on decks) is generally not intellectually challenging, and I think it is one that could ultimately become largely automated. There is a high volume of relatively simple and tedious tasks, which keeps you busy, but I think it takes a certain type of person to do the job and not be miserable.

Advice to Management

Create better access to HR and a better system to keep employees accountable for their behavior and especially treatment of junior employees.

3. "IB Analyst"

Current Employee - IB Analyst in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - IB Analyst in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at SunTrust Robinson Humphrey full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good environment, laid back people (but this varies group to group), hours are not terrible

Cons

Lack of deal flow, not brand name (esp if you're trying to go to NYC)

Advice to Management

Put more analysts in NYC!

4. "Investment Banking Analyst"

I have been working at SunTrust Robinson Humphrey full-time

Pros

Fairly laid-back culture, hours aren't bad

Cons

not a fulsome, traditional IB experience

5. "Investment banking analyst"

Pros

Good experience
    mobility within the firm

Cons

Need more resources as the bank continues to grow

"Director, Sales"

Current Employee - Director, Sales in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Director, Sales in Chicago, IL

I have been working at SunTrust Robinson Humphrey full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Solid stable company, Excellent work mates, Open work environment.

Cons

No Vision for real growth, No path upward to a decision making position. A management team that would not be called entrepreneurial. And my overall job is to reliant on others for my success.

Advice to Management

Start integrating your teams, look more towards the future, build a decent bench. Learn who your talented people really are. be more engaged.

7. "Overall Good Company"

I have been working at SunTrust Robinson Humphrey full-time

Pros

Smaller, flexible and enjoyable environment.

Cons

The company has grown so much but have not grown their salaries and health benefits.

8. "STRH Review"

I have been working at SunTrust Robinson Humphrey full-time

Pros

Great peers/employees; good culture for IB; competitive compensation

Cons

Highly regulated environment; hours can be long at times

9. "VP Corporate Banking"

I have been working at SunTrust Robinson Humphrey full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay in Atlanta is generally reasonable - not competitive outside of Atlanta.

Cons

Lack of competitive products versus the large banks.

10. "Analyst"

I have been working at SunTrust Robinson Humphrey full-time

Pros

- Decent culture for an investment bank

Cons

- Need more depth for growth