Sundance Institute Reviews

Updated May 4, 2020

3.9
Sundance Institute President and Founder Robert Redford (no image)
Robert Redford
Pros
  • "The team is supportive to let you understand all the processes and information about the film festival(in 11 reviews)

• "Great place to cut your teeth and become a professional(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • "not enough resources, extended hours during festival season, lack of inter-department communication(in 11 reviews)

• "The drive from from SLC to Park City in the Snow(in 6 reviews)

1. "Great non-profit w/ fun atmosphere"

Former Employee - Festival Staff in Park City, UT

I worked at Sundance Institute full-time for less than a year

Pros

Social and collaborative environment, fun co-workers, great sense of pride in the arts community, WFH days

2. "Wonderful Experience"

Current Employee - Festival Coordinator/Media Accreditation in Sandy, UT

I have been working at Sundance Institute full-time for less than a year

Pros

This was one of the most fulfilling experiences I have had - especially being a seasonal position. I was thrilled to be a part of this progressive non-profit atmosphere.

Cons

The drive from from SLC to Park City in the Snow.

"Leadership needs work. They care more about your work than your overall well-being."

2.0
     in Beverly Hills, CA

I worked at Sundance Institute

Pros

great experience and looks great on your resume. that’s literally it.

Cons

leadership doesn’t “lead”. they play favorites. nobody takes any real action to remedy an issue... they just slap a bandaid on it an hope it goes away. the pay is extremely low for the amount of work that you do here. there’s no real room for growth.

Continue reading
  4. "A well-oiled machine!"

Current Employee - Coordinator in Park City, UT

I have been working at Sundance Institute part-time for less than a year

Pros

- Collaborative co-workers who are open to new ideas and risk - Always a new projects, new challenges - Supportive and visionary leadership - Dedication to diversity, inclusion, and sustainability - Sundance Festival access/perks - Fast-paced (during Festival season) & high-energy

Cons

- Long daily commute to office in Park City from Salt Lake City - Compensation

Recruitment and Onboarding Manager

Thanks so much for your feedback! We are continuously working on improving our benefits and listening to employees needs, so we really appreciate your comments. For the commute portion from SLC - Park City, we have a van service that we provide for employees (unfortunately not during the festival) so hope you are enjoying this additional perk.

5. "They are the real deal and support artists like no other non-profit out there"

Former Employee - Senior Manager, Film Music in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Sundance Institute full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Being around creative types. The film festival. Lots of autonomy.

Cons

Getting lost in your privilege

Recruitment and Onboarding Manager

Thanks so much for your comments and we are really glad that you enjoyed your time at Sundance!

6. "Good Cause, but Needs some improvement on Leadership"

4.0

I worked at Sundance Institute full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Supporting a good cause - Staff are passionate - Good teams

Cons

- Organization's leadership struggles to align on priorities - Long hours - Nonprofit pay - Lots of turnover

Recruitment and Onboarding Manager

Thank you for your feedback and we are sorry that your experience was not the best. Please feel free to email us at hr@sundance.org if there is any specific feedback you would like to add to help us improve. We are always open to recommendations on ways to be better.

7. "Great People, Bad Pay"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Sundance Institute full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Kind, hardworking, intelligent colleagues. - Staff are passionate about supporting artists and truly practice what they preach. - Comfortable, clean, safe working environment - Fun weekly movies with popcorn, healthy daily snacks, coffee available at all times - food trucks lpark right outside for lunch - Work-life balance is valued here - Working at Sundance will open doors for you based on it's incredible reputation.

Cons

- Unfortunately the pay rate at Sundance is low, and therefore passionate and dedicated employees are often leaving to find new, higher paying work. - Many employees have other jobs in addition to their full time work at Sundance to make their finances work. - Not a lot of room for career growth. Most high level staff have been at the Institute for a long time and are not going anywhere. - Lack of conference rooms and private spaces for conversation.

Recruitment and Onboarding Manager

Thank you very much for your feedback and we are working on improving our pay rates. We have done a lot of progress on that end in the last couple of years, and we are continuously working on getting better. We are very glad that you enjoyed your experience at Sundance! as we truly are an amazing organization to work for.

8. "Hard to Move Up"

4.0
    Current Employee - Coordinator in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Sundance Institute full-time for more than a year

Pros

incredible mission and coworkers who care about the arts

Cons

promotions are rare and pay is so low many people have second jobs

Recruitment and Onboarding Manager

Thank you very much for your feedback and we are working on improving on the areas that you mention. We have done a lot of progress on our pay rates in the last couple of years, and we are continuously working on getting better. Feel free to email us at hr@sundance.org if you like to send additional feedback. Thanks again!

9. "Wouldn’t Recomend to a Friend"

1.0

I worked at Sundance Institute full-time for less than a year

Pros

Flexible work schedule and decent benefits with great perks if you like independent film

Cons

Lack of organizational structure, little to no role clarity, no office community, really poor onboarding for new people.

Recruitment and Onboarding Manager

We are really sorry that your experience was not the best. We would really appreciate if you can send us more detailed feedback at hr@sundance.org, so that we can improve on that end. Thanks again for taking the time to submit your feedback.

10. "Sundance... YES!"

Former Employee - Ticket Agent in Park City, UT

I worked at Sundance Institute full-time for less than a year

Pros

Growth Supportive environment Great staff Get to see amazing films for free The awesome swag we were given Free transportation all over Park City Nice warm jackets We were fed daily Positive and fun environment

Cons

Pay is kind of low for a company that makes so much when you have to pay for your own housing and transportation. Just a thought.

Recruitment and Onboarding Manager

Thank you very much for your feedback and we are glad that you enjoyed your time with us. We are working on improving our pay rates and we have done a lot of progress on that end in the last couple of years, but continuously working on getting better.

Found 42 reviews