Sungard Availability Services Reviews | Glassdoor

2.7
Sungard Availability Services CEO Andrew A. Stern
Andrew A. Stern

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Our managers listen to our feedback we give them, and we enjoy a very good work/life balance (in 69 reviews)

• Many employees work from home several days a week and employees can work very flexible hours (in 36 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Sungard AS review"

I have been working at Sungard Availability Services full-time

Pros

Sungard AS is an excellent employee focused company which also offers a growth if you are capable.

Cons

None that I can think of

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

"TEM"

I worked at Sungard Availability Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good company! Great Salary & benefits! Great place to learn

Cons

Company is going thru a reorganization.

3. "Sr. Solutions Engineer"

Former Employee - Senior Solutions Engineer in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Solutions Engineer in Irving, TX

I worked at Sungard Availability Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent pay and compensation. Managers were great. Co-workers were great .

Cons

Solutions/Products not keeping up with competition, over priced, or half-baked.

Advice to Management

Improve Product Management

4. "Current employee"

I have been working at Sungard Availability Services full-time

Pros

company has many great people

Cons

benefits package could be better

Advice to Management

allow company a chance to rebound from many changes and success will follow

"Large company with a startup feel"

Current Employee - Senior .NET Applications Engineer in Wayne, PA
    Current Employee - Senior .NET Applications Engineer in Wayne, PA

I have been working at Sungard Availability Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I am currently employed in the software division of Sungard AS and while I realize that not all departments are equal, I am genuinely satisfied with my job. Our group was part of an acquisition, and as such, we are a bit isolated from the larger part of the organization. That allows us to do our work without a lot of the red tape and restrictions of the broader company.

While we have some turnover from time-to-time, I truly believe that the people that are here enjoy what they do, and are just as satisfied as I am. Our group likes to do fun things together. We are very collaborative. Our managers listen to our feedback we give them, and we enjoy a very good work/life balance. That means the ability to work from home when necessary, not being expected to work and be 100% available during off hours, being encouraged to take vacation/sick time, etc. We have a nice employee lounge with game system, ping pong and foosball tables. There is actually a committee that is dedicated to employee welfare. It's pretty cool.

Sungard AS genuinely seems to care about its people and customers, and that is refreshing in this day and age. I hope that things will stay as they are, because I can see myself working here for a long time.

Cons

The company as a whole is not growing their revenue year-over-year. That means that there are lay-offs that occur from time-to-time. That creates some uneasiness around the holidays. This also affects merit increases as well.

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on ways to grow revenue. Have a clear strategic vision for the future. Do not lose sight of your greatest asset: your people. Keep your customers happy!

"Great work/life balance, but horrendous management and a slowly dieing company"

Former Employee - Software Developer in Wayne, PA
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Wayne, PA

I worked at Sungard Availability Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Work life balance is very good. Many employees work from home several days a week and employees can work very flexible hours.
    - Good place to get entry to mid level technical experience.
    - Diverse company allows you to work with different teams and projects.

Cons

- Communication and planning is terrible. Many projects have very little direction and development teams are running around frantically trying to figure out deadlines and priorities.
    - Senior management is destroying the company by failing to lead and plan projects, failing to get proper customer feedback, and managing multi-million dollar projects years behind schedule and extremely over budget.
     - We are no longer adding new features to our main products and development is out of touch with what customers want.
     - Account executives aren't familiar with the company's own products.
     - Company has had over 4 years of declining revenue which lead to hundreds of layoffs in 2017 that was executed horribly.
    - Health benefits and education/development programs have been slightly declining over the years.
    - The atmosphere at the company has turned to gloom and unhappiness. Employees no longer view it as a good place to work for. Most employees have negative outlooks on the company and many are currently looking to leave, including those in management.
    - There are very large process issues within the company. As mentioned, communication and leadership is completely broken. Working here will slowly drain you and change you from an upbeat person optimistic that you can help fix the company, to a negative person that sees how bad the issues are and can't wait to leave.

Advice to Management

- The PMO team is a joke. Months will go by with very few projects, while other months will be slammed with dozens of unrealistic projects. Spread out the workload!
    - Whoever is signing contracts with the customers and planning out large scale projects needs to be fired. There are several million dollar projects with horrendous planning and communication. I've never seen such a dysfunctional mess before and our customers are seeing it too.
     - Development teams need direct feedback from customers in order to better improve our products. We also need product managers for each of our software products. Several of our products haven't had a product manager for years and have very little direction.

"Better know how to swim if you work here."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wayne, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wayne, PA

I worked at Sungard Availability Services full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Work from home policy. That's about it.

Cons

This ship is sinking. Benefits are reduced yearly. Severance cut because so many layoffs were too expensive. Raises don't even keep up with inflation. Building starting to look ratty where people have to actually work. Terrible debt restructuring deal gives the company a junk bond rating. Everyone in management is out for themselves and doesn't hesitate to finger point and blame instead of leading and supporting their people. This used to be a wonderful company but current leadership is only worried about their bonuses and how they can cut the bottom line by letting people go. People are leaving in droves.

Advice to Management

Replace yourselves with competent people.

"Anonymous"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Sungard Availability Services full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great People to work with and the ability to balance work/family

Cons

I don't understand how a CEO is still in charge when the company hasn't grown top line revenue in 9 years

Advice to Management

Its sad but the writing in on the wall. The Bloomberg letter that was written in January, and the CFO who tried to sugar coat it with a letter to employees. There are 3 points that resinate from the letter: 1) Its like a mortgage being under water and there is no recovery in site 2) the bond rating is CCC+ which is considered Junk 3) putting a bond member on the board means they are starting to look at diluting the business.

"Terrible Company"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Houston, TX

Pros

No pros that I can think of

Cons

No salary increases, no bonuses, no work/life balance, bad and incompetent management

"Senior Systems Engineer"

Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Phila, PA
    Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Phila, PA

I worked at Sungard Availability Services full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

It was a good company to learn however management has found a way to kill the culture.

Cons

overseas employees are IN and USA employees are OUT.

Advice to Management

There is nothing left to manage at this company, it time to leave!!!