Sungard Availability Services Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

"work-life balance"

Current Employee - Senior Network Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Network Engineer

I have been working at Sungard Availability Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

decent pay, work-life balance is considerably good. I like the fact that they offer virtual positions

Cons

No bonuses at operations level. sometimes i struggle with where my job responsibilities 'end".

Advice to Management

The limits of work responsibilities is really important and should be clearly stated. Consider extending bonuses to operations and other levels other than Management. A happy employee is a happy company!

"Unorganized"

I worked at Sungard Availability Services full-time

Pros

Remote Work Friendly
    Benefits are decent

Cons

Unorganized
    No solid vision within departments

"Mayday mayday"

I have been working at Sungard Availability Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fair pay. Competitive benefits. Company trying to promote from within.

Cons

No new products to sell. Constant cost cutting. Eliminating key employees with no transition plan. Shipping jobs off shore.

Advice to Management

Sending jobs offshore is not the way to retain current customers. Trying to piggyback on AWS is not the way to attract new customers.

"non family - family"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wayne, PA

I worked at Sungard Availability Services full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good salary, not great but solid. Benefits are industry average. Good place to start a career, but if you want to be recognized for your talent transfer to another company your you could end up wasting your best years on the end of the vine if you are not your superiors best buddy.

Cons

High school like gossip. Internal departmental cut throats for promotions and survival. Lack of direction by mgmt and too much hand holding that your job is safe when in reality you see one colleague after another get the ax in I'll advised cost cutting in the wrong areas.

Advice to Management

Act like professionals where the best people get promoted and not the ones that smile at you but snipe at everyone else. I was told we were a "sungard family" when 911 happened, but when I needed my sungard family for my own minor crisis, which was a non work and non performance related issue I was given the boot as if I had the modern day plague and used as an example for someone's personal agenda. Today, I have rebounded and own a successful start up with 50 employees that are treated equally and fairly. So my advice is to my former sungard brothers and sisters is this. Be there for one another in reality when it counts for each other and not just when in matters to sungard. Good luck to you all.

"My time at Sungard"

Pros

Great place to start a career. At Sungard, you're always interacting with various teams, which is great for networking.

Cons

While working in my position and point of view, it seems that management does not have a handle on the business. At times my department seemed very disorganized and lacking work. Besides that, the constant layoffs and the constant reminder from managers "do not worry your job is safe". Just to be laid off in three months time.

"It's only a matter of time..."

I have been working at Sungard Availability Services full-time

Pros

A very good salary. The bonus when they run out of excuses not to pay it.

Cons

The company has been caught in a death spiral and its only a matter of time before:
    A - Bankruptcy
    B - Fire sale to an Indian IT Services company.
    C - All US employees walk out the door
    D - All the above
    The latest round of layoffs moved a significant portion (90%+) of customer support to off-shore resources. Mangement that was left in place is at best incompetent and clueless. Success rates for services are significantly over-inflated (50% over industry average) to make VPs look good in the eyes of the CEO. Customers have been leaving at a significant rate and are expected to leave at a quicker pace in 2017 due to outsourcing and related poor service. Any good US employees that survived the recent RIFs are looking to get out ASAP. The next RIF is expected in 2-3 months. The C-Suite has their golden parachutes on. It's only a matter of time...

Advice to Management

The bad decisions you've been making for years have finally caught up with you. Trying to make your bottom line look good by dumping all of your US resources for cheap off-shore resources might make SgAS look better for potential buyers, but you should hope you can dupe someone into buying the company before your entire customer base evaporates.

"Solutions Engineer"

I worked at Sungard Availability Services full-time

Pros

Had access to Skills Training and online training portal

Cons

Acquired other companies and never integrated them into current culture, comp plans not fair market value

Advice to Management

Too many layers of Management

9. "Application Engineer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wayne, PA

I worked at Sungard Availability Services full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good life and work balance

Cons

If the employee can get clear expectation, will be great

Advice to Management

tell what is your expectation to emplyee

"Current employee"

Pros

Good benefits, vacation, and salary. Able to work remotely part of the week. Great employees and family atmosphere in certain centers. Unfortunately, not at all.

Cons

Salaried employees are Expected to work 50-60 hours a week with no compensation. Double the work and bullied to keep up the same pace with less people.

Advice to Management

Employees cannot keep up the pace. Life work balance is not right. Told that we aren't supposed to be working 15 hours of O/T but management not doing nothing to alleviate the pressure on their staff. No end in sight except for upcoming layoffs. Sad times at SunGard AS.

11. "Nice place to learn new tech."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wayne, PA

I worked at Sungard Availability Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good people (at IC level); Solid DC and colo knowledge;

Cons

Slow moving; Top driven so low chances for moving fast

Advice to Management

Move fast ... reduce layers