Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Barry McLellan

Pros
  • It was a great place to test out new research ideas (in 7 reviews)

• The work life balance is also great (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • The work environment is a very fast-paced and high stress environment but the staff and managers are very supportive (in 4 reviews)

• The work life balance is OK, not many opportunities to grow and take on other responsibilities as you develop new skills (in 2 reviews)

1. "Supervisor"

Current Employee - Supervisor in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great place to work. Amazing patients.

Cons

Some people in higher positions can be too assertive and when it's reported, there is no change.

Advice to Management

Deal with negative / forceful behaviours displayed by upper management.

2. "RN"

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre part-time

Pros

Nice patients
    Good working experience and worked with a few amazing Drs. Great Healthcare Centre

Cons

The environment was fine in the beginning and I worked with a very kind, compassionate, and competent physician but she was replaced and the new dr. was not Compassionate towards patients who were cognitively and Mentally Impaired. It was a terrible environment to work in and to watch how some patients were treated. This dr allowed student Drs to practice on patients and hurt them and this was unacceptable. I reported the dr.
    But this only caused a temporary change and in the end the dr still works there and I do not because the dr found a way to have me removed from my position. It was quick and swift and very cunning of this dr in what happened!

Advice to Management

Management should listen to staff who have direct patient care and Care about patients because not all doctors have a patients best interests at heart! Many doctors have been proven to abuse, hurt and cause pain to patients when behind closed doors.
    Nurses see a lot of things but can't or don't speak up because they fear the loss of their jobs because doctors have so much power! Having integrity and speaking for a patients who cannot speak up for themselves is a Nurses responsibility. But if we are penalized for doing so how can patients be protected? Doctors are not above the law! Jobs come and go but you have one soul and one conscience! It's so sad that hospitals loose great nurses because they have bad doctors! So management care about your Nurses because they care about all your patients!

3. "Research"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Pros

Amazing place to work, great colleagues and work atmosphere

Cons

There are none, great work environment

Advice to Management

none

5. "Patient Administrative Associate"

I have been working at Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre full-time

Pros

Encourages educational pursuits.
    Great environment.
    Great benefits

Cons

Once you hit the ceiling for your rate of pay, that's it. Cons of an hourly rate.

6. "Administration"

Former Employee - Administration in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Administration in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre (More than 5 years)

Pros

They provide excellent health care, and in the end, that's what's important.

Cons

Very bad work environment. Their respect policy isn't worth the paper it's printed on. Management here, like so many other places, seem to think their budgeting woes can be solved by cutbacks. Meanwhile, the work duties get reshuffled onto staff that is already spread too thin. Mid to upper level management use the same method for cutting lower management too, leaving their lower management spread too thin and ineffective in managing their departments. Meanwhile, much of their full-time staff rest on their laurels and pass off the work to the part-time and casual staff. They are relied upon for payroll and scheduling duties. The strict scheduling rules are completely ignored and the payroll is too complicated and rests in too many hands leaving people to chase down their pay for each and every pay period. The union is useless. They are only interested in collecting their dues and pay no attention to how their members' rights have been ignored - either between staff members or staff and management. Both management and the union are ignorant of basic Labour code and disregard the ones they do know in hopes of getting away with it.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the union that is in there. Use a real union that is interested in the fair treatment of employees. Instead of falling on that old nugget of ridding staff for budget cut reasons, think of other ways to keep costs down. Be more aggressive in reprimanding the staff you have that does nothing and award the staff that works hard. Much of your hard working staff are your part-timers and casuals. Try to recognize who your hard workers are and your slackers are. Give the duties to staff members that know what they're doing and pay attention to how they do their work. Staff that talks on the phone all day on personal calls, aren't doing a good job with payroll and staffing. Recognizing your hard workers and knowing who your slackers are will keep your good staff on board and perhaps your slackers out.

7. "Good place to work, not good pay"

Former Employee - Research Assistant in Mississauga, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Research Assistant in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I worked at Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible, Amazing benefits, Friendly staff

Cons

Low pay, Bad food court

Advice to Management

N/A

8. "Great Pay.... but that's about it"

Former Employee - Patient Administration Assistant in North York, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Patient Administration Assistant in North York, ON (Canada)

I worked at Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great pay, fast paced, days are never the same. I worked in Emergency and some days were good (in that there weren't any traumas because it sucks when someone is in a life or death situation). Feels rewarding, given I'm certainly not a doctor. But it feels like I am helping the sick, even if I'm not the one healing them

Cons

Training schedule was not good... I booked off time from my full time job to train for a week. They changed it last minute (literally told us the change the first day of training) and I could not complete my last course. They were unwilling to help me find another day to accommodate me completing it, and because of that, I was not being paid the night-shift premiums. I tried partnering with the person who would run the last course but she was unwilling to meet with me at all. Not being compensated for the same job that other people do due to a technicality is not great, and the unwillingness of management to work with me was a horrible experience.

Scheduling was also a disaster, not just the training schedule but scheduling in general. You can see preferential treatment so blatantly.

Also, there has to be a better system to grab files. Where they keep files is far and very remote, one feels unsafe if retreval is needed during the night shift.

Advice to Management

Work with the people who work there. It can be rewarding for everyone.

9. "Network Support Analyst"

Pros

Busy environment with excellent coworkers. Always able to interact with a large number of people.

Cons

Overly confusing number of rules governing services available. Rules were subject to change without notice or notification.

Advice to Management

Correct the problems with the middle level managers. People are being lost/fired for no reason.

10. "Biomedical/electrical engineering intern"

Pros

Flexible work hours, very nice people

Cons

A bit hard to communicate with multiple labs at the same time

Advice to Management

varies with individual manager

11. "Horrible Place"

Former Employee - Security Guard in North Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Security Guard in North Toronto, ON (Canada)

Pros

Pay, Easy Work, Pension, week off every month

Cons

Unreliable Coworkers, Management has a closed door policy.