Sunquest Information Systems Reviews | Glassdoor

Sunquest Information Systems President Matthew Hawkins
Matthew Hawkins

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work/life balance does not exist (in 6 reviews)

• There is very little, if any, opportunity for advancement or career growth, hence the significant turnover under the current executive team (in 8 reviews)

1. "Account Executive"

I have been working at Sunquest Information Systems full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good work environment with good people.

Cons

Compensation is average compared to similar opportunities

"Great Company- I love my job."

I have been working at Sunquest Information Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Leadership is working hard to make changes per feedback received on anonymous employee survey and 360 degree leadership reviews- it's good to see a company take the steps necessary to change to be better. I have felt very welcome and supported from before the first day that I started. Good pay and benefits. Beautiful location and building- that includes a gym and cafeteria. Good communication with management- weekly one on one meetings.

Cons

So far I've had a good experience and cannot think of any legitimate cons.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to the employees and clients and taking in feedback to become the best in all areas.

Aug 7, 2017 – VP People Operations

Thank you so much for the review! We will keep listening and taking feedback. We hope you have a long and successful career at Sunquest!

"Disappointed in Sunquest's failure to translate values into practice"

I worked at Sunquest Information Systems full-time

Pros

Line level employees are extraordinary!
    Good place to start for a first job
    New leadership from acquired companies might make a difference
    Benefits are pretty decent (with recent additions of 2 new holidays, parental paid leave, and sick time)

Cons

Siloed operations
    Middle management not empowered to make decisions to improve operations and performance; managers over-extended with many direct reports and line-level project work
    Uncomfortable working environment (open office noise, HVAC problems)
    No profit sharing, unlike other tech companies; small raises for high-performers
    Visibility and promotion in the organization seems to be provided in a way that is inconsistent with equal opportunity/diversity
    After orientation week, no formal training provided at all

Advice to Management

Have a suggestion box for employee feedback and address at town halls, reduce silos by having employees from different departments shadow each other, introduce a clear internal career path program with a focus on diverse voices.

"Disappointing is an understatement."

I have been working at Sunquest Information Systems full-time

Pros

Some nice people to work with, free water and coffee in the break room, decent work-life balance.

Cons

I want to preface what I’m about to say with some empirical evidence, specifically, according to this site 45% of employees would recommend Sunquest to a friend, 57% approve of the CEO and 37% have a positive business outlook.
    Challenges abound here. From the outset, recruitment took months and once offer was made and accepted I was informed that it was standard practice for recruiters to keep candidates “warm” while trying to manufacture a position. Once in the door, a week’s worth of being in a room with someone who know’s nothing about training and very little about the company and products. Once in my role I was given a mentor who was as new as I was. They were friendly but not the best at getting me up to speed, so the process of being effective took longer and was more painful than one would hope. Other than that, communication is poor, especially from the leadership and moreover, feedback isn’t welcome from the bottom up which is demoralizing. Expansion offshore seems to be the strategy du jour, while stateside customers continue to flee at an exponential rate. Continued focus on “cutting edge” technology is being done with buy versus build mentality which puts continued strain and stress on an already overburdened staff. As new businesses are added their core teams flee leaving incredible gaps in the support and transition of their products and even more challenges to integrating these complex technologies into our stack. There is very little, if any, opportunity for advancement or career growth, hence the significant turnover under the current executive team. There is blatant nepotism and a retaliatory culture which belittles the “vision and mission.”

Advice to Management

Under the current leadership team 45% of employees would recommend Sunquest to a friend, 57% approve of the CEO and 37% have a positive business outlook......perception is reality!! If this were a performance review of an employee I'm certain that employee would have been let go.....it's way past time to do that with the leadership at Sunquest!!

"Watch your back, get everything in writing"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Sunquest Information Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Freedom if talented

Direction when needed

Cons

Just be careful when climbing in your career. This is still a good old boys club. Keep all promises from your direct manager in writing or face the consequences. Don't ever trust what you hear. The culture is good here and the President has great ideals. But there are still vestiges of muck from the past lurking in the corners ready to pull you down and ruin your career.

Advice to Management

Stop thinking the managers you hire are good people just because you get along with them. Listen to their reports. They have the true story of how that manager is doing.

Aug 7, 2017 – VP People Operations

Thank you for your candor. We agree that we try and offer Freedom and Direction as warranted. We also appreciate your acknowledgement of the culture and our President's ideals though we certainly... More

"Culture of risk that is detrimental to the sustainability and health of the company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Sunquest Information Systems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

"Boots on the streets" care very much about doing the right thing for the right reasons.

New corporate location is scenic.

The growth trajectory is phenomenal.

Cons

"Boots on the streets" care very much about doing the right thing for the right reasons but very often are advised against that mode of operation, are not given the tools to do so, or do not know how to go about doing so. Responsibilities are often assigned to someone just to have someone responsible - not because they have the knowledge, skills, training, experience, or expertise.

Although a very scenic drive, the new corporate location is extremely inconveniently off the beaten path - not enough covered parking to provide shelter for vehicles from harsh summer conditions - areas of building that are completely wireless do not work an unacceptable portion of the time.

As a technology company that has been in existence since 1979, access to effective tools is woefully inadequate. Penny wise, dollar foolish.

There are disconnects between strategic planning and tactical implementation relevant to communications, demonstrating leadership through actions, and commitments to actions that are transparently and visibly non-detrimental to the current workforce and client base.

The current growth trajectory is not controlled in a sustainable manner; risk from this path may be evaluated at the executive level but does not demonstrate engaging working stakeholders in order to account for the realistic implications to current resources or client base. Entering new markets, and increasing footprints in existing markets, increases risk in an environment in which the risk resulting from changes in the information security landscape is, at the very least, dynamic and, at most times, volatile in nature. The context of the risk can be catastrophic - when this is not fully understood and accounted for in planning and implementation, growth is not sustainable.

Management is very quick to applaud throwing hours at problems, acknowledging employees who work around the clock to resolve issues that, had they been appropriately addressed early in the cycle, would not have occurred in the first place. Dedication is admirable and should be recognized, but continued dependence and expectations of just "finding a way" should be resolved.

Advice to Management

Drop the "Find a Way" mantra - it promotes a perception of not listening, not caring, and taking dedication for granted.

Ask and LISTEN to your most valuable assets...your employees! Commit to, and build, a culture of taking interest and wanting to understand - hold yourselves accountable at the executive level in a way that has meaning to, and can be seen by, those responsible for the work...to those who catch the balls thrown over the fence.

Aug 1, 2017 – VP People Operations

Thank you for your thoughtful review and feedback as well as for your long tenure at Sunquest. We certainly agree that our employees are our most valuable assets and appreciate their commitment and... More

"A great place to be laid-off from."

I worked at Sunquest Information Systems full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Always a chance to move up before they move you out.

Cons

Inter-department communication has always been dismal. Severe competition for resources between the respective departments hampers progress and defeats morale.

Advice to Management

It's about the people. Valued staff generate more revenue.

Aug 1, 2017 – VP People Operations

Thank you for your feedback and long tenure at Sunquest. We agree, it is all about the people. Software businesses are people businesses and we value our people tremendously.

"Three Words: Hostile Work Environment"

Former Employee - Manager in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Manager in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Sunquest Information Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You do get paid, though well under market. That's about it. Truly an awful working environment- stay away. Unless you love being abused.

Cons

Holy nepotism batman. If you are in favor, expect tons of promotions, lavish gifts (including Amazon Echos and Coach purses) and constant praise. But otherwise, be ready for insulting management and not even getting a cost of living raise. And if you are a woman, be ready to do all sorts of admin tasks (distributing mail, taking notes) no matter what your actual role or level.

Advice to Management

The parent company, Roper, needs to clean house.

Aug 1, 2017 – VP People Operations

Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry that your perception of Sunquest was so negative during your time here. We strive to be fair in every way and to reward high performers as such. Over the... More

"Ok for Tucson, has potential to be better"

Pros

Hands down, the people. Co-workers are intelligent & dedicated to working with excellence. The new building is beautiful. Benefits and job stability are good for Tucson where the job market is lacking.

Cons

Nepotism has been killing the company culture for the last few years. It's no secret who will be promoted and recognized and you have to be ok with that if you want to work there because it is the same people every year (whether they meet targets or not) while everyone else who surpasses goal is lucky to get a 1% increase. The upper level leadership can be condescending, demeaning and accusatory, although if you have a backbone and stand up to them, they do seem to respect you more and back off some. Negotiate your salary when you start because they will low ball you, unless....well, nepotism. Acquisitions are good, but head count has shrunk significantly so most roles are treading water to stay ahead.

Advice to Management

I would recommend a 3rd party audit of hiring, promotion and salary reviews by gender, race and creed for the last 3 years so you can fix it before you get hit for EOE violations. It can be a great company and there is still time to undo the crazy.

Aug 1, 2017 – VP People Operations

Thank you for the thoughtful feedback. We agree that the people and the Tucson location are awesome. With regard to promotions over the course of the last two years we've promoted over 10% of the... More

"Good for career start up, but don't stick around"

I worked at Sunquest Information Systems full-time

Pros

People are talented and helpful. Flexible work hours.

Cons

People don't get treated and compensated fairly.

Advice to Management

If you pay loyalty to your people, you will get much more back.

Aug 1, 2017 – VP People Operations

Thank you for the review. We agree that our people are talented and deserve loyalty and fairness. We wish you all the best.