Sunquest Information Systems Reviews | Glassdoor

2.7
Sunquest Information Systems President Mike Epplen
Mike Epplen

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "A friendly work environment with genial and talented minds on the floor" (in 14 reviews)

• "Opportunity to learn on the job, flexible schedule, and a gym on site" (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work-life balance for mid-level employees is tough" (in 9 reviews)

• "Low pay once you get any experience and raises are capped at below inflation (that's if you are an overachiever and work 50hrs" (in 9 reviews)

1. "Love It!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Sunquest Information Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have been with Sunquest now almost 1 year and it is the greatest place to work! The people are very friendly, knowledgeable and always work together as a team! There is plenty of work and our customers are very loyal and keep coming back for more products and services. I feel i can get many many years working at this company and always have a challenge to learn something new!

Cons

I cant think of ANY cons! Excellent place to work!

Advice to Management

The quarterly meetings are great!!! Keep them going!!!

"Not Enough Subject Matter Experts"

Former Employee - Manager in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Sunquest Information Systems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I worked at Sunquest for many years (more than 10) and have recently left the company. The employees at Sunquest are incredible. Knowledgeable, hard-working, and helpful. They care about their customers and each other. It is a very supportive work environment.

The work itself is meaningful. The problems the company is trying to solve for its customers are important and interesting.

Cons

The staffing levels are inadequate for many critical departments and have been inadequate for years. Too much depends on the remaining experienced staff. Work-life balance is terrible for those folks. New hires are frustrated because they want more mentoring and training.

Advice to Management

In my opinion management should bank on its strong and experienced Inside Sales team and scale back Field Sales to only the most experienced and effective staff. A focused approach to sales may allow the rest of the company to regroup and build the necessary internal capacities for Sunquest to serve its existing customers.

"Stay Away!"

I have been working at Sunquest Information Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Thought the salary was decent at first..... Until I found out I was going to be working 60+ hrs/week.
    Initial onboarding/training was good.... everything after that first week was terrible.

Cons

High turnover, poor work/life balance, poor management (lack of support), unrealistic expectations.

I made the mistake of not heeding the warning signs from other reviews on Glassdoor-- Don't make the same mistake!

4. "Mostly good"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Sunquest Information Systems full-time

Pros

Long-standing employees do a great job incorporating new people into their teams.
    The work we do makes a difference in people's lives.

Cons

Company should cultivate leadership from within.
    Work-life balance for mid-level employees is tough.
    Budget reminds me of George Halas - we throw nickles around like manhole covers.

"Lots of potential, just can't quite execute"

Former Employee - Manager in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Sunquest Information Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There's actually a lot of good to be had at Sunquest.

The majority of the people there are very passionate and love what they do.
    Great way to get into healthcare IT and gain valuable experience in an FDA-regulated company
    Lots of opportunities to move laterally and try different things/departments
    Can work with some interesting technologies
    Lots of technical experience can be had as you will be exposed to a multitude of technologies on many deployment platforms.
    New building looks nice and has a great view. An onsite cafeteria and gym are there and food trucks are regular visitors.
    Depending on the role you may have the opportunity to travel to international locations.
    Fairly flexible schedules and work from home opportunities (Depending on department and/or manager)
    Casual dress code
    Benefits are decent. Nothing spectacular, particularly for technology company, but they are solid overall and include an employee stock purchase plan for the parent company, Roper Technologies

Cons

In my experience the biggest con to working at Sunquest is the abysmal levels of staffing across the business. In pretty much every department there is simply not enough employees to do all of the work that is necessary. As a result, burnout and turnover run rampant and there is little being done about it because the answer is more people, which means more expense, and spending money is heavily frowned upon.

Upper management dives into major commitments and business models without realizing it requires an investment to actually be successful at. Too many projects are just added on top of existing heavy workloads with the "we just have to make it happen" attitude. As a result most projects are done with the absolute minimum effort and as quickly as possible. Shortcuts are taken everywhere and it really is just a matter of time before it bites the business.

Sunquest is a SALES company, NOT a technology company. Sales rules the show, gets the best awards and perks, and the engineering teams have to build and support whatever the sales team sells, no exceptions. If there is revenue attached to it, they will say "yes we can do that" no matter what the long term implications are.

Maximum raises are 2-3%/year for individual contributors.

Very top heavy. There are more VPs than there are directors. Meaning there is virtually no chance at a promotion if you are already a manager. The roles just don't exist. A lot of promotions at the VP level with title changes. SVP, C, etc., with few promotions happening below.

There's plenty of other things that have been mentioned in other reviews that don't need to be repeated. Read the reviews, there's a lot of common themes there.

Advice to Management

Invest in the people and doing things right, not just cheap. Talk to the employees about big decisions and what they REALLY mean.

Sunquest is not a bad place to work, it has it's issues, but so does every employer. The frustration comes from the fact that Sunquest could be an AMAZING place to work, all it would take is a little investment on the part of Roper...

"Learn what you can and then go elsewhere"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Sunquest Information Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good place for the first job and plenty of openings at any given time. Opportunity to learn on the job, flexible schedule, and a gym on site. Gorgeous view out of the office windows. Colleagues genuinely want to be helpful.

Cons

Not a good place for mid-career professionals. Salaries are well below the Tucson market. No apparent upward mobility and raises are laughable or nonexistent. The place appears at times disorganized and immature. Documents sent to new hires contain inconsistencies and errors. There is no training beyond the initial orientation week. Much of the supposedly required expertise is acquired by accident. Many new hires don't stay more than a year or two. High turnover results in dearth of experience and lack of institutional memory.

The root cause of company's turnover problem seems to be the corroding legacy of previous private equity ownership coupled with parent company's concern about share price at the expense of the workforce. Laptops given to new hires are old, scratched, and need to be frequently repaired, and the company buys extended warranties that will cover motherboard and graphics card replacements for far longer than seems practical. Communication tools are subpar, selected because they are free, not because they work well. Benefits are OK for a manufacturing company, but poor for a software development company. No PTO rollover from year to year. Working spouses cannot be added to insurance policy. Your manager might be so overwhelmed with responsibility to supervise 20+ people that your workstation might not be setup when you start. In the second decade of 21st century, the entire top leadership is male. Too many of those top leaders live elsewhere and commute to Tucson only occasionally. Professionalism is not valued: people in leadership positions casually curse on the job and not only do they keep their jobs, they get promoted! Open office space is noisy with poor soundproofing.

Advice to Management

The company can't keep highly skilled people because the company is a low-wage shop. One cannot produce and sell desirable high-quality software with underpaid and constantly turning over workforce. Immature is not the way to look when one develops software for regulated environment. None of this should be news to the management.

"Organized chaos"

I have been working at Sunquest Information Systems full-time

Pros

Forward-thinking company in a fast-growing industry

Cons

Constant acquisitions of smaller companies result in communication breakdowns, angry clients, and frustrated employees.

"Quality Engineer"

I worked at Sunquest Information Systems full-time

Pros

Global company. Innovative products. Knowledgeable and passionate people.

Cons

Quality Engineers at Sunquest are overwhelmed by multiple responsibilities. Unrealistic deadlines. Very little support.

Advice to Management

Product development isn't a fun place to be at Sunquest. Trying to do too much with too little!

"So glad to be out from under the caustic management"

Former Employee - Manager in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Sunquest Information Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Some employees are good people and good to work with. Benefits are of average quality and there is a small gym on site.

Cons

Salaries are extremely low, even for the area. Raises are laughable – high performers got two percent last year, and promotions are nonexistent unless you are one of management’s chosen few. PTO doesn’t roll over, discouraging trips and other events requiring planning. Sales people are untouchable, they are permitted terrible behavior and allowed to ignore all sorts of regulations and rules. Recent cost cutting measures have been absurdly extreme, leaving insufficient headcount to do necessary tasks, yet sales people are showered with gifts at every sales meeting, and they’re rewarded with a lavish trip every year.

In 2016, the old CEO move the entire office to be closer to his house. The move cost millions, and the new building is horrible. The bathrooms have a constant foul odor, the HVAC system leaves parts of the building freezing, while other areas have temps in the high 80s, And the expensive new floors are already curling and peeling.

Advice to Management

The new CEO seems decent, but he lives in Kentucky, not in Tucson we’re headquarters is. He’s lack of presence means day-to-day operations are left to the VPs, who perpetuate the toxic environment. The CEO needs to spend more time in Tucson, and replace the current execs with the team that actually values diversity and ethics.

10. "Great company - Committed Staff - New CEO"

I have been working at Sunquest Information Systems full-time

Pros

The employees at Sunquest are very committed to its customers. There is a tremendous sense of pride in the work we do and the impact that it has on our customers and ultimately, patients.

The new CEO/President is genuine, realistic and cares about our customers and employees. His leadership style is direct, open but respectful. I look forward to seeing the positive impact he will have.

Cons

Work/life balance could be improved. There is hard work ahead of us so we have to be willing to prioritize and focus.

Advice to Management

Communicate top prioritize then invest resources accordingly. Recognize resource capacity and help employees focus in order to succeed.