Sunquest Information Systems Reviews | Glassdoor

Sunquest Information Systems Reviews

Updated January 11, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
Cons
  • Work/life balance does not exist (in 6 reviews)

• The executive team screws their employees regularly (in 7 reviews)

"Company is stuggling"

Pros

Open atmosphere for work very flexible as far as schedule and working remote

Cons

Company has lost it's direction and is struggling in the marketplace

Advice to Management

Push your good qualities and don't rest on past accomplishments

"Leaving Sunquest"

Former Employee - Client Support Team Lead in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Client Support Team Lead in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Sunquest Information Systems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Co-workers, and clients, that's it.

Cons

I was there for more than 10 years, and never had a single mark on my record, yet I felt everyday that it could be my last. That's how management want's you to feel. Nothing but pressure, they keep you down no matter what. Open door policy my A. You try and make things better, they brand you a complainer, only Kool-Aid drinkers get ahead there. Life on the outside is FANTASTIC! To all my old friends in Sunquest I can only say "Do it! Take the JUMP and get out! Life AFTER Sunquest is GREAT!" Even in Tucson, you CAN find good paying jobs!" The future for Sunquest is not bright, not after 2015! Roper wont take missing forecasts by the number of millions Sunquest missed them by. HUGE! You can't spin that one Executives! 2015 was a record DUD! Clients are leaving in a steady stream, but Nero is fiddling as his Rome burns! Move to a new building, still the same pig, just new lipstick!

Advice to Management

Sell to a privately owned company that knows great employee's when they see them, Roper is just another form of Venture Capitalism, they will bleed Sunquest to death, and walk away with full pockets, and the executives will move on like parasites to the next host!

"Join us, but don't get comfortable."

I worked at Sunquest Information Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people who work here are generally very, very kind. Sunquest's culture is largely comprised of old-time hospital workers, so it harvests a teamworking environment more than a competitive relationship. If you hesitate about joining us, don't! Just, don't plan on staying at Sunquest for long...

Cons

I'll keep it brief: the long rants you read in other reviews are right. The executives have a long history of bleeding the clients and employees just to get more profit, and they keep covering it up by calling us crybabies.
    They keep cutting our budget and restricting innovation, but pressures us to be creative and work longer hours. If you're making a 60% profit, how about letting your employees feel like they're doing a good job and NOT cutting their overtime, benefits, and pay?
    Everyone in management and above may keep boasting that they have years of experience in their field of expertise, but at the end of the day, the lack of humility and ability to take critique and IMPROVE demonstrates to their employees that they do not believe in Integrity, Team, and Tenacity.

Everything they say is all a marketing ploy.

Advice to Management

Why waste my breath.

"Surprised"

I have been working at Sunquest Information Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I am pleasantly surprised with the direction the company is headed. The company is currently experiencing changes from top to bottom. Many adults are resistant to change which may be why there is some disparaging, attacking and childish reviews about the company. I mean, why else would you not share your feedback and make the company you are working for better? Looking at the acquisitions the company has made, you can see how Sunquest is setting itself up for a very profitable future. The pay from my view is very competitive. Many people that left Sunquest in the past, are returning. I have heard very good comments from them about the changes they see. One very common trend I hear is the culture is much better now. I enjoy the people I work with and look forward to coming to work everyday. The benefits are considerably better and less expensive than my previous company. In the short time that I have been here Sunquest has reserved a whole movie theater for Sunquest employees to watch Star Wars on opening day, put on quite a few employee engagement events as well as family events with many prizes.

Cons

I think interdepartmental communication can be better at times.

Advice to Management

Keep making positive changes and continue to communicate effectively on all things. Customer Service/ soft skills training for all, including VP's. Work on promoting from within and building up the talent you already have. You need to fix the hiring process. It shouldn't take a month to make a decision. Way too much back and forth with the process.

"CoPath Support Specialist"

Former Employee - Associate Support Specialist in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Associate Support Specialist in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Sunquest Information Systems (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent pay and benefits. Gym on site.

Cons

No formal training. Departments constantly arguing about who responsible for fixing issues.

Advice to Management

Figure out which department is responsible for which issues.

"Quality coworkers, bad senior management"

I worked at Sunquest Information Systems (More than a year)

Pros

Work from home. Lots of travel

Cons

Poor training. "go play" is what you are told to learn the system.

Advice to Management

More opportunities for hands on training

"It has potential...just doesn't use it"

I have been working at Sunquest Information Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work/life balance is sometimes good
    Coworkers are fun to work with and commiserate with
    They have really good products
    Most clients are fun to work with

Cons

Too much focus on revenue and not the clients and employees
    Middle management gets in the way and provides no benefit
    Changed PTO policy so there is no rollover so employees are forced to take it all at the same time at the end of the year
    Don't allow new employees to learn before throwing them into their own projects
    Booking travel has become a part time job as you need to act as your own travel agent

Advice to Management

Revenue cannot be the only thing that's important. Hearing that word 20 times a day can be aggravating to employees. Focus on happy clients and happy employees too. Realize that your employees are your #1 asset...losing one seasoned employee creates chaos on the team for months and causes lost REVENUE. Allow for time that is not billable in order to improve teams/products/processes. Lastly, upper management should be more accessible in such a small company. They seem to not care what the average employee cares about (unless it's REVENUE!)

Oct 28, 2015 – VP People Operations

Thanks for providing this feedback. I agree that revenue should be an outcome of doing the right thing, however we are a for-profit business and revenue is an important measure of the health of our ... More

"Fantastic software product that allows you to be a part of helping people all over the world receive great healthcare."

Former Employee - Learning & Development in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Learning & Development in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Sunquest Information Systems (More than 10 years)

Pros

Wonderful History! Looking to expand its reach to be world wide.

Cons

New changes, but this is not something that I find a con. It happens everywhere.

Oct 26, 2015 – VP People Operations

Thanks you so much for the kind words! We appreciate your contribution to our success and wish you all the best on the next stop on your journey.

"Capitalism at its finest"

I have been working at Sunquest Information Systems full-time

Pros

-This is a great resume builder. It seems that there are a lot of networking possibilities that lead to companies that will pay more for talent.

-Almost everyone displays a great level of intelligence. I never feel like the smartest person in the room, yet there is still plenty of motivation to find a new room.

-Employees at the same level as you feel a sense of bonding through struggle, and this creates a very friendly atmosphere below management level.

-Great hiring practice in having an aptitude exam before an interview. This has lead to a highly intelligent workforce, even though it has also lead to an inability to recover from turnover.

Cons

-It is very clear that despite statments of care and interest in the medical field, executive leadership cares only for the dollar. Expect your passion to go unrewarded and uncared for.

-Work/life balance does not exist. The job must be done no matter the cost to you , and no matter how small the impact. The impact of this culture is visible, especially in middle management.

-Executive leadership hyper focuses on incredibly unimportant things, adding more workload to an already overworked staff.

-Compensation and benefits are well below market average, while profitability is incredible. This creates a culture of resume building and exiting.

-Nothing done to retain valuable resources. It doesn't matter how good you are, if you get a better offer from another company you will be allowed to leave without a second thought.

-Under the new leadership the ability and opportunity for advancement and movement within the company has stagnated. Don't expect to go anywhere internally.

-Declining growth due to poor project management and money-grabbing decisions. This is the fault of executive leadership, not the actual project managers.

Advice to Management

Something that was overlooked in the transition of leadership was the fact that revenue generated was the only performance metric. This is something that held over from 4DX and the last president, yet creates a hostile athmosphere. Disconnect revenue from performance and start managing different aspects of the business, not a revenue machine.

Disconnect VPs from the workforce. They should be communicating to their immediate subordinates, not their subordinates' subordinates.

Lastly, please do not reply asking me to visit people ops to provide my feedback in person. I am not stupid enough to put myself on the chopping block in a company that has transformed its culture into one where any sense of dissatisfaction results in termination, and the phrase "If you don't want to be here then get out" results in termination rather than any attempt to improve.

Oct 28, 2015 – VP People Operations

Thank you for your thoughts. We appreciate all of your hard work and for going above and beyond. I'd agree that we have an incredibly intelligent, passionate and talented workforce that cares a ... More

"Actions speak louder than words"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Sunquest Information Systems full-time

Pros

Nice teammates who, like another reviewer said, are bonded by a common struggle

Cons

I've gone through highs and lows since I started working here. At the beginning of the year, there were big changes happening in PD with the new Agile rollout. People were optimistic and very excited. I think I even saw SQ's rating go to like 3.7 on Glassdoor! After 2-3 months, that completely changed. Now we're at a 2.8 and its reflected on the floor.

Most of us have these major deadlines to get products out within the next 6 months, but we're expected to burn up out PTO by the end of the year. Sunquest said they're changing the PTO policy and that it reflects industry trends...which is fine. But, not when you've set arbitrary deadlines to get projects out! These deadlines were arbitrary when they were initially set..and I understand the need to start having product releases on a regular cadence. But when the PD core team points their backlog, does the math, and says there's no way we can even meet these deadlines, there's no response.

We can tell the PD managers until we're blue in the face that the dates are unrealistic, but I've learned that the managers have little to no power about anything related to adjusting project timelines. Execs say 'strip out all the bells and whistles and just include the minimum in order to get the functionality completed' but what happened to quality? As quality diminishes, so does the ability to take pride in the work we're doing. It's laughable that HR responds to reviews here and asks people to make suggestions for improvements and provide feedback. It's ONLY a show for people outside the company; execs don't care. If thy cared about what we thought, if they cared about the things that frustrate us, make us leave work in a bad mood, etc. they'd have an anonymous internal feedback system. They'd have employee encentives (and I'm NOT talking about incentives for Sales...why does Sales deserve a paid vacation for selling products but PD doesn't deserve one for BUILDING the products that Sales sales? Or Education for creating training for everyone internal/external to use? Or Finance for ensuring that money is handled effectively so that this not-so-positively trending company doesn't go under?

Have you ever heard of employee incentives (and I'm not talking about a gift card for 5 employees every month when SQ is a company that has over 500 employees!!) you SAY that you care, but you ACT like you don't. you know that saying 'actionsspeak louder than words'? Your actions are screaming to us, and we hear it.

Don't you get it? You hired us because we're smart and we WANT to make a difference, yet you only allow it if the difference we make fits in a little box. Don't out get it? You want employees who care, but you're making it EXTREMELY hard when all we hear is 'figure it out'. Don't you get it? You want us to be innovative, but you constrain us with deadlines bc clients smile AND you keep throwing FFS projects and CRs at us every time a client complains. You don't reward a screaming kid with candy, neither do you reward an angry client by putting their request at the top of the PD team's list if it means 50 other clients will be screaming. If you gave us the time we keep telling you that we need, it's possible that that client wouldn't even be angry.

Advice to Management

Hire more people
    Listen to employees, provide a way for people to give real honest feedback without being afraid of consequences, and don't trll PD managers to attend core team meetings and make it seem like they're advocating for us if the managers don't even have a voice.
    Reorganize so that everyone who has input on a product (core and extended team members) are located near each other so Education, CXS, SA, etc can reap the benefits of heating the discussions about the current release and learn the product better. THIS is Agile.