Sunquest Information Systems Reviews in Tucson, AZ | Glassdoor

Sunquest Information Systems President Mike Epplen
Mike Epplen

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work/life balance could be improved (in 7 reviews)

• Low pay once you get any experience and raises are capped at below inflation (that's if you are an overachiever and work 50hrs (in 9 reviews)

"Watch your back, get everything in writing"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Sunquest Information Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Freedom if talented

Direction when needed

Cons

Just be careful when climbing in your career. This is still a good old boys club. Keep all promises from your direct manager in writing or face the consequences. Don't ever trust what you hear. The culture is good here and the President has great ideals. But there are still vestiges of muck from the past lurking in the corners ready to pull you down and ruin your career.

Advice to Management

Stop thinking the managers you hire are good people just because you get along with them. Listen to their reports. They have the true story of how that manager is doing.

Aug 7, 2017 – VP People Operations

Thank you for your candor. We agree that we try and offer Freedom and Direction as warranted. We also appreciate your acknowledgement of the culture and our President's ideals though we certainly... More

"Thanks for your investment in Tucson"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Sunquest Information Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A great opportunity to learn how to expand your career by befriending the executives.

Cons

Dysfunctional leaders that have a history of failing, then jumping ship.

Advice to Management

Not too long ago, the CEO stated that the move to the new facility was an "investment in Tucson". An, true, investment would have been achieved by retaining the many Tucson employees the always failing CEO cut.

"Disappointed in Sunquest's failure to translate values into practice"

I worked at Sunquest Information Systems full-time

Pros

Line level employees are extraordinary!
    Good place to start for a first job
    New leadership from acquired companies might make a difference
    Benefits are pretty decent (with recent additions of 2 new holidays, parental paid leave, and sick time)

Cons

Siloed operations
    Middle management not empowered to make decisions to improve operations and performance; managers over-extended with many direct reports and line-level project work
    Uncomfortable working environment (open office noise, HVAC problems)
    No profit sharing, unlike other tech companies; small raises for high-performers
    Visibility and promotion in the organization seems to be provided in a way that is inconsistent with equal opportunity/diversity
    After orientation week, no formal training provided at all

Advice to Management

Have a suggestion box for employee feedback and address at town halls, reduce silos by having employees from different departments shadow each other, introduce a clear internal career path program with a focus on diverse voices.

"Culture of risk that is detrimental to the sustainability and health of the company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Sunquest Information Systems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

"Boots on the streets" care very much about doing the right thing for the right reasons.

New corporate location is scenic.

The growth trajectory is phenomenal.

Cons

"Boots on the streets" care very much about doing the right thing for the right reasons but very often are advised against that mode of operation, are not given the tools to do so, or do not know how to go about doing so. Responsibilities are often assigned to someone just to have someone responsible - not because they have the knowledge, skills, training, experience, or expertise.

Although a very scenic drive, the new corporate location is extremely inconveniently off the beaten path - not enough covered parking to provide shelter for vehicles from harsh summer conditions - areas of building that are completely wireless do not work an unacceptable portion of the time.

As a technology company that has been in existence since 1979, access to effective tools is woefully inadequate. Penny wise, dollar foolish.

There are disconnects between strategic planning and tactical implementation relevant to communications, demonstrating leadership through actions, and commitments to actions that are transparently and visibly non-detrimental to the current workforce and client base.

The current growth trajectory is not controlled in a sustainable manner; risk from this path may be evaluated at the executive level but does not demonstrate engaging working stakeholders in order to account for the realistic implications to current resources or client base. Entering new markets, and increasing footprints in existing markets, increases risk in an environment in which the risk resulting from changes in the information security landscape is, at the very least, dynamic and, at most times, volatile in nature. The context of the risk can be catastrophic - when this is not fully understood and accounted for in planning and implementation, growth is not sustainable.

Management is very quick to applaud throwing hours at problems, acknowledging employees who work around the clock to resolve issues that, had they been appropriately addressed early in the cycle, would not have occurred in the first place. Dedication is admirable and should be recognized, but continued dependence and expectations of just "finding a way" should be resolved.

Advice to Management

Drop the "Find a Way" mantra - it promotes a perception of not listening, not caring, and taking dedication for granted.

Ask and LISTEN to your most valuable assets...your employees! Commit to, and build, a culture of taking interest and wanting to understand - hold yourselves accountable at the executive level in a way that has meaning to, and can be seen by, those responsible for the work...to those who catch the balls thrown over the fence.

Aug 1, 2017 – VP People Operations

Thank you for your thoughtful review and feedback as well as for your long tenure at Sunquest. We certainly agree that our employees are our most valuable assets and appreciate their commitment and... More

"Three Words: Hostile Work Environment"

Former Employee - Manager in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Manager in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Sunquest Information Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You do get paid, though well under market. That's about it. Truly an awful working environment- stay away. Unless you love being abused.

Cons

Holy nepotism batman. If you are in favor, expect tons of promotions, lavish gifts (including Amazon Echos and Coach purses) and constant praise. But otherwise, be ready for insulting management and not even getting a cost of living raise. And if you are a woman, be ready to do all sorts of admin tasks (distributing mail, taking notes) no matter what your actual role or level.

Advice to Management

The parent company, Roper, needs to clean house.

Aug 1, 2017 – VP People Operations

Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry that your perception of Sunquest was so negative during your time here. We strive to be fair in every way and to reward high performers as such. Over the... More

"Good for career start up, but don't stick around"

I worked at Sunquest Information Systems full-time

Pros

People are talented and helpful. Flexible work hours.

Cons

People don't get treated and compensated fairly.

Advice to Management

If you pay loyalty to your people, you will get much more back.

Aug 1, 2017 – VP People Operations

Thank you for the review. We agree that our people are talented and deserve loyalty and fairness. We wish you all the best.

"Project Managers Beware - Solution Adoption team needs lots of work"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Sunquest Information Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great group of very hard working people. Decent pay.

Cons

Project Management team has been losing a lot of talent due to the shift from people to revenue. Forecasting process is arcane and inefficient. Very immature organization with respect to getting a handle on revenue recognition for implementing projects; disjointed and antiquated systems. Project Management role will consume your life; horrible work/live balance - management expects 50-60 hour work weeks.

Advice to Management

Dump NetSuite OpenAir as a "solution" for managing project implementation; it is user-hostile. Resume the focus on employee rewards and recognition. Hire more project managers to reduce the workload.

Aug 2, 2017 – VP People Operations

Thank you for the thoughtful feedback! We agree that we can improve and that we have a great group of people here at Sunquest and are improving the cadence of rewards and recognition for those great... More

"Great Place to work"

Current Employee - Associate Support Specialist in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Associate Support Specialist in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Sunquest Information Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Environment
    Team work focused
    The support team is very collaborative and works well together

Cons

More staff is needed to achieve goals set. There is a need for more time to work on projects
    Not clear how to advance

"Just ok."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ

Pros

Veterans Day is now a paid holiday, HR does seem to be coming around on a few areas. People mostly try to do their best

Cons

Micro Managment and EVERY thing is about revenue. Needs more investment in tools and or software to perform daily tasks.

Advice to Management

Trust your employees more

Aug 2, 2017 – VP People Operations

Thank you for your review! We agree that we have a lot of people doing their best and were very excited to roll out those additional paid holidays in North America last year, Veteran's Day and Martin... More

"Opportunities galore"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Sunquest Information Systems full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Amazing people to work with - talk about caring about what they do! Executive vision is fantastic. Lots of tough decisions, but that's what they pay them for, right? It is nice to know they are pointed in the right direction to bring Sunquest forward into the next wave of healthcare IT.

Cons

It will be a challenge to get to the ideal future state. We are having to do more with less. Our expansion in some areas require that we belt-tighten in other areas. It would be nice to see a little more of company profit go to fund day-to-day operations instead of only new ventures and inorganic growth.

Advice to Management

When we are told to have work life balance but your boss is emailing on vacation or on the weekends, the actions speak louder than words.