Sunrise Senior Living Life Enrichment Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Sunrise Senior Living CEO Chris Winkle
Chris Winkle

Pros
  • I really appreciate and love the residents (in 18 reviews)

• It has an overall great team members that you will enjoy working with (in 34 reviews)

Cons

1. "Life Enrichment Manager"

Former Employee - Life Enrichment Manager in Saddle River, NJ
    Former Employee - Life Enrichment Manager in Saddle River, NJ

I worked at Sunrise Senior Living full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The management cares about their residents and associates. The Reminiscence Coordinator went out of her way to make all of the associates feel accepted. The residents were encouraged to pursue life skills. They trained their associates to progress in the field. I would recommend this position to anyone who would like to advance in the senior living field.

Cons

The cons are the same as any other senior living community. You work weekends, storms and holidays. This is to be expected in the field.

"Honest review of the location I worked at"

Former Employee - Life Enrichment Manager in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Life Enrichment Manager in Columbus, OH

I worked at Sunrise Senior Living full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The LEM program can be great if management and staff support it.
    I was paid well based on my experience.
    There truly are employees that really love what they do there and are great at it.

Cons

The specific building I worked for had little to no idea what the role actually entailed.
    Literally every other day they were short staffed so I ended up doing care manager tasks.
    Management is extremely cliquey and VERY unprofessional.
    ED intentionally spent under budget to receive incentives.
    ED also intentionally lied on past audit to get a good score, and continued to lie throughout the investigation to the auditor.

Advice to Management

Although corporate came into the building several times to investigate claims made by disgruntled employees, no negative action was taken against management. If you truly care about your company, you need to listen to your employees. Who do you think does all of the most important work? The entry level positions, and those are the people you should care about most and listen to.

3. "activities"

Current Employee - PT Life Enrichment Manager in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - PT Life Enrichment Manager in Richmond, VA

Pros

I originally began Volunteering, and was subsequently offered a part time position. The support and friendliness of all of the staff has been superb

Cons

None work bothering to report on here

"Worked for Chicago Land Sunrise for 4+ years, terrable managment unfair pay"

Former Employee - Life Enrichment Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Life Enrichment Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Sunrise Senior Living (More than 5 years)

Pros

the residents and families were always so friendly and nice, there was a great work ethic for the first 3 years i worked there, and was blessed with a great ED.

Cons

three main points i would like to make

1st the familys, unless very involved had no clue how there loved ones were treated. if you had a very involved family member that was constantly visiting and there, they got the best treatment. if not, no one initally really cared besides the care managers that are just compassionate people. and thoes are few. many skilled nursing residents that are in an assisted living environment, the way sunrise, or the one i worked at was not made or designed to take thoes skilled residents. and the location i worked there was far to high of a demetia rate then what was advertised. marketing is flawed bringing in bad fits for the staff, the building just to make money. this company is not focused on the care of the resident as much as is cares about numbers. the day one resident woke up with a black eye that could not be explained was the day i started looking for another job seriously---i personally can not stand by a company like that,

that brings me to the hiring of care managers.... they need no CNA licence to work at at sunrise, and still keep bringing in skilled nursing residents, using equipment like hoyer lifts. yes they have there in house "sunrise" trianing... thats is not license...some one need to come in and do some government regulated training.so at least there is some accountabliity . some of the people they hired in the time i was there were scary, no experiance, with only 3 days of ion the floor training then set loose on some ones mom or grandparent. now because they no not require a CNA they dont have to give them fair wages to pay them for all the work thats expected. its not just the care managers its from the front desk worker who is basically a security guard, to not let residents with advancing dementias loose on the chicago streets, kitchen staff is underpaid for all the special diets they deal with, there is not even an in house dietian... just a corporate... this company is so stingy and cheap its discusting...the amount of money it makes is unbeleveable and they are so cheap...in a bussness of human lives!!

3rd is the caddyness of the job, wich can not be blamed on the company, but the managment. we had a great ED at my location and about a year before i finally left he got a better job offer, the new ED was just not ready to deal with the city sunrise, he cam from a suberban location. and the rest of the staff fell apart basically. and the familys that were around noticed it also, it was a chain reaction. not his falut, but the place in the year i stayed never regained its strength. my manager kind of took hold because after the other managment staff all left she was one on the longest standing managers left, and has some major control issues. my privacy was taken advantage by her, she played favorites to young men which is gross and unprofessional. alot of unkept promises, unprofessionalism, lieing. the AVC at my location should never be a supervisor.

Advice to Management

hire better more qulifyed staff and pay them quality, and then the residents will care the care and respect they deserve, pouring there life savings in to living at sunrise.

5. "Amazing company"

Former Employee - Life Enrichment Manager in Youngstown, OH
    Former Employee - Life Enrichment Manager in Youngstown, OH

Pros

Everyone is a family, staff, residents, and residents family!

Cons

Nothing really bad about this company. There might be cons depending on location.

Advice to Management

Uniforms need changed. White Shirts aren't a good idea in senior living.

"Dining Room Care Manager"

Current Employee - Dining Room Care Manager/Activities Assistant/Life Enrichment Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Sunrise Senior Living full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working at Sunrise Senior Living had taught me about love, empathy, compassion and patience. Working with and for elderly people is one of the most challenging but sweet and rewarding experiences of my whole life.

Cons

Sometimes opening your heart to our residents and their families leaves you heartbreaking. When our residents pass away or move out to another facilities feels like part of your live goes with them.

7. "High Turnover"

Current Employee - Life Enrichment Manager in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Life Enrichment Manager in Jacksonville, FL

Pros

Great facilities and decent pay

Cons

Lack of training and high turnover

8. "Management is horrible! Majority of caretakers and med-techs are priceless. Sunrises principles are admirable."

Former Employee - Life Enrichment Manager in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Life Enrichment Manager in Arlington, VA

I worked at Sunrise Senior Living full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The residence! I loved the residence I worked with and they loved me in return. They will always remain in my heart. I so respected the families that were actively involved with their loved ones lives. I will always remember those coworkers that went above and beyond to care for residence who can not take care of themselves. Those workers are priceless and deserve to be treated with respect and to be compensated. No one will care for your loved one like those that I knew.

Cons

Management could care less of their employees. I took the job because I was impressed with the respect and care that the front end staff took care of the residence. Management plays favorites and takes away hours from wonderful employees and promotes the staff that does nothing. One employee sat all day and read on her IPad, was texting, or watching TV. One bad apple but she tormented the other employees who felt they could not defend themselves for fear of their job. I left because my hours were cut to accommodate the managers favorite who was loosing her job. Many others hours were cut who were did not fit in with the cliche. I did not mention that when I left I found I was not paid all of my wadges. Neither management nor corporate are willing to take care of this matter which I have been pursuing for going on three months now.

Advice to Management

Promotion had less to do with the quality of work but how good friends you are with the manager. If you were not in their particular group you have no hope. No chance to move up in mine location. Stop promoting employees with bad behavior just because you happen to be in the same class. Treat people fair even if they are of difference cultures and nationalities. Hire managers who are management material. Corporate needs to be more diligent and do secret assessments especially in the reminiscence ward. Arlington management horrible.

"Beautiful community"

Current Employee - Life Enrichment Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Life Enrichment Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Sunrise Senior Living part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Wonderful residents and supporting families. The community is beautiful and is getting better. Many employees are great team members.

Cons

Management does not seem to know who is doing their job and who is not. They are easily fooled or don't care enough to do anything about it. They spend too much time on the PC utilizing outdated programs to try and track information rather than on the floor coaching employees. Too much documentation is done in writing and not electronically. Outdated technology.

Advice to Management

Walk the floor throughout the day, pm and come unannounced at night. Know your employees and their true work ethic. Support those who are doing their jobs. Get rid of those who are not and hire team players who love working with senior citizens.

"Life Enrichment Manager"

Former Employee - Life Enrichment Manager
    Former Employee - Life Enrichment Manager

Pros

Appropriate salary/compensation, good health insurance, 401-k. Managers allowed for independence but were available for guidance when needed and adequate budget for supplies. Interactions with the residents made everything worthwhile. Opportunities for growth.

Cons

It's a large company so one might feel swallowed up at times by the structure of the business.