Sunrise Senior Living Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Sunrise Senior Living CEO Chris Winkle
Chris Winkle

Cons

1. "Unprofessional Working Environment"

Former Employee - Care Manager in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Care Manager in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Sunrise Senior Living part-time

Pros

The residents and co workers

Cons

Upper Management
    Condescending and rude management

Advice to Management

Do not act unprofessionally without asking for an explanation or know the employee's situation. "Wish you all the best."

2. "server"

Current Employee - Food Server Waiter in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Food Server Waiter in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Sunrise Senior Living part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

customer service and enjoing helping the people

Cons

customers and all the employee

"Exhausting Yet Rewarding"

Former Employee - Care Manager in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Care Manager in San Diego, CA

I worked at Sunrise Senior Living part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working with the residents and families are the most rewarding. They made you want to give them the best care possible. It was hard to leave them behind.

Cons

Management is messy and unorganized. Too little pay for physical demand of work. Assisted living implies employees assist residents in ADL's instead, you are required to do much more than the job description entails.

Advice to Management

Work to improve overall morale for employees. Choose wiser when hiring - some employees lack the skill and personality to work there which makes the workload on good employees more demanding and less excited to work.

"Great Company"

Former Employee - Server/Host in Silver Spring, MD
    Former Employee - Server/Host in Silver Spring, MD

I worked at Sunrise Senior Living part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun working environment
    Flexible
    Laid back atmosphere

Cons

Low pay
    Not enough employees
    Have to be at work regardless of the weather conditions

Advice to Management

Hire more people, we were short a lot of the time.

"Executive Director"

Current Employee - Executive Director in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Executive Director in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Sunrise Senior Living full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great staff and residents. One of the best companies I have had the pleasure to work for. Staff longevity in all departments.

Cons

Nothing. I think it's a well rounded company. Very positive place to work. We will continue to strive for excellence in all that we do.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing. Great company to work for

"Horrible mangement"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at Sunrise Senior Living full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Residents are a treasure.

Cons

Poor management. Coordinators are cliquish and incompetent. Turnover is high because of poor hiring decisions and inadequate supervision. Work environment is hostile, every man for himself. ED is clueless and mostly absent.

Advice to Management

Clean house.

"Interesting community to work"

Current Employee - Care Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Care Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Sunrise Senior Living full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Residence are what keeps this place alive and worth coming to on a daily base. When your heart is in the job all family members can tell. Your respected and thanked for all hard work everything you do for the residence never go unnoticed

Cons

Coordinators need to be retrained. Favoritism associates with horrible attitudes. The job isn't about money although they need to raise pay for all the hard work being out in by all employees

Advice to Management

Fire and rehire all new staff clean sweep

"I am extremely dissatisfied regarding how Sunrise treats their employees."

Current Employee - Care Manager in Dix Hills, NY
    Current Employee - Care Manager in Dix Hills, NY

I have been working at Sunrise Senior Living part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours (because no one wants to work at Sunrise, because they pay you like a McDonald's manager to take care of 8 people!)

Good for a beginner CNA's in the medical field that want to get their foot in the door, build a resume or experience.

Cons

Too many residents that are basically total care of have excessive needs. That use mechanical lifts or stand up lifts. Some can't move at all and must be changed and washed in bed. 8 residents are typically on one assignment, mine is particularly heavy with no independent residents.

You have to do your residents laundry, which is time consuming and takes time away from caring for your residents. Sometimes you will have to do multiple residents laundry in one 8 hour shift.

Sunrise only cares about money and pays their employees like crap. $12.00 an hour is not what I went to trade school for. I can barely pay for college and my car with this job!They pay way below median for New York State pay for CNA's. This is not assisted living anymore, this is more like a nursing home. That's how they get away with paying us crap with having "an assisted living home" license. What a joke! And they don't want to pay us for the amount of work we do breaking our backs! They admit people that can't move at all or do anything for themselves except feed themselves and need to be dressed and washed in bed, not even on hospice! Some are complete dead weight and mess up your backs badly. All they care about is a expensive care plan, that's going in their pockets and not ours.

Sunrise saves a lot of money by not hiring dining room staff and putting care managers to work in the dining room. Again, this takes a lot of time out from caring for residents and you will be running around work like a headless chicken when all your residents start ringing.

Highly unrecommended for a permanent job. Most people I see working at Sunrise for 12 or more years end up with health problems and back pain, it is hard to watch them go through that since they do not pay much and they have to work to keep up with supporting their families. Most of the people I work with are single mothers or trying to build a new life here in America and struggling. It's very sad.

Advice to Management

I been working here for a year and a half and never been so dissatisfied with a company and how badly they treat their employees.

Pay your employees what they deserve! As an employee, I feel unappreciated and will be sending an anonymous letter or complaint to headquarters, as well as a state representative if nothing gets resolved. I want to make a difference for everyone who provides care, to get the pay they deserve. We do a lot of work and we should feel appreciated. How you pay your employees does not correlate with the core values of your company. It does not just apply to the residents! Pay accordingly as per each state. New York is a very expensive state to live in along with the high taxes we have to pay. (Long Island is very expensive)

Hire separate dining room staff. The host/hostesses and dishwasher do not do enough work. They should wash and fold the napkins, placemats and tablecloths, not us!

Housekeeping should do the laundry, that's what they should be paid for.

Realize that we are way overworked. Treat us like human beings and not like a source of income or capital for your company.

"Hostile work environment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Monterey, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Monterey, CA

I worked at Sunrise Senior Living full-time

Pros

Working with the families and clients

Cons

I witnessed harassment of staff by their superiors and was myself harassed by a co-worker

"Recruiter/HR"

Current Employee - Human Resources Manager in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Human Resources Manager in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Sunrise Senior Living full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

work independently
    good management
    good balance of schedule

Cons

no room for growth
    job doesn't vary