Sunrise Senior Living Reviews | Glassdoor

Sunrise Senior Living CEO Chris Winkle
Chris Winkle

1,056 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Really care about the residents and the team members" (in 39 reviews)

• "I really appreciate and love the residents" (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • "Frequently short staffed, you end up doing other team members task" (in 34 reviews)

• "Management is hit or miss- opportunities for advancement are not as available as upper management say they are" (in 30 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"They have all been encouraging and helpful toward me continuing in my career"

Current Employee - Life Enrichment Manager in Montgomery Village, MD
    Current Employee - Life Enrichment Manager in Montgomery Village, MD

I have been working at Sunrise Senior Living full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Helpful, understanding, happy. The staff is kind and lively. Everyone enjoys being at work everyday. The management is welcoming. They provide wonderful training programs

Cons

New programs that are confusing to learn. I don't have much else to say because I have had such a wonderful experience with this company

2. "Caregiver for Seniors with Dementia"

Current Employee - Caregiver
    Current Employee - Caregiver

I have been working at Sunrise Senior Living full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly coworkers and fun working environment. It's always nice seeing your residents everyday and making their lives easier and seeing their smiles.Everyday is new adventure. Always work with the same small group of coworkers making it easier to build relationships and trust one another. Aside from general care, there are many opportunities to do activities with the residents and relax with them. The scheduling is very flexible! No experience required.

Cons

Low pay and no significant raises (e.g. 5 years and only a $1.00 increase from $12.00 to $13.00). High stress (angry family members, residents with extreme emotional/behavioral expressions, quick-paced, strict regulations).

Advice to Management

There needs to be better benefits or higher pay. The work that we do doesn't feel like it's appreciated as much as it should be. I understand that working there means it's more about the passion and willingness to help the residents feel safe, loved, and comfortable, but the amount of stress and liability we have over the life of each resident is under-compensated. Additionally, there is almost no regard for the work that is done when under-staffed (as this is very common). Instead, there is a high focus on what was not done rather than what we were able to achieve with what few staff we had on hand. For only being employed for a year, I've seen at least 10 employees join and quit within weeks or months. It's even been that the entire management staff resigned to move elsewhere, leaving the facility and the caregivers left to deal with everything themselves.

3. "Activities Assistant"

I have been working at Sunrise Senior Living part-time

Pros

The position is fun and fulfilling. Creativity a plus.

Cons

Resources and funding is scarce.

4. "Pay raise"

I have been working at Sunrise Senior Living full-time

Pros

Love working with sunrise senior living

Cons

None at all. Love working here

5. "I'm about to quit"

Current Employee - Alc
    Current Employee - Alc

I have been working at Sunrise Senior Living (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice culture nice people and residents

Cons

Caremanagers are way over worked. They are expected to do activities laundry dining housekeeping.

Advice to Management

Take duties away from the caremanagers like activities. It's not like we do them anyways cause we cant.

6. "Almost as stressful as CEO for a fortune 500 company"

I worked at Sunrise Senior Living full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Compassion and caring for the elderly. Making a difference in the lives of others.

Cons

Constant demand from corporate. Low pay. Staffing is always short which will require you to work 70+ hrs to cover the open shifts and complete your job as Coordinator as well. Very little support from upper management or corporate for low staffing, resident/family issues. Also a very "do as I say, not as I do" type environment. It is also very hard to advance without a foot in the door from someone already employed.

7. "Care Manager"

Former Employee - Care Manager in Beverly Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Care Manager in Beverly Hills, CA

I worked at Sunrise Senior Living full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good environment to work in.

Cons

Doesn’t have the best management. Coordinators think your job is your life like you have to work overtime whether you want to or not.

Advice to Management

Hire people with a little more experience. Coordinaters should know what they are doing!

"Underpaid and inappropriately utilized"

Former Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse in Edina, MN
    Former Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse in Edina, MN

I worked at Sunrise Senior Living part-time (More than a year)

Pros

International company, opportunities for career advancement

Cons

Do not assign tasks so that employees are working to the highest ability of their training. RNs mainly do paperwork, LPNs mainly pass meds and do ADL cares, Care Managers are more PCAs proving for ADL cares. They advertise that they have a nurse on site 24 hours a day but that is not the case, it is usually an unlicensed medication passer with an RN on call and off site. The pay is lower than the market rate, and the work is heavy. An LPN is responsible for passing meds and providing treatments to an average of 30-40 residents during a shift. It is categorized as an Assisted Living but they do not turn people away due to high acuity, only if they are not able to provide care under their license.

Advice to Management

Better utilize your employee's talents. Assign tasks to the highest ability of employee licensure. Increase pay. Decrease acuity or increase staff to resident ratio.

Sep 6, 2018

Please know that we take all feedback seriously and would like to learn more about your experience at Sunrise. Please email Glassdoor@sunriseseniorliving.com with further details so we may follow up... More

9. "Give care to residents in facility"

I worked at Sunrise Senior Living full-time

Pros

People are nice. Work is very rewarding

Cons

They work you extremely hard with little training

Sep 5, 2018

We’re sorry to hear that you did not have a positive experience during your time at our community. Please contact us at Glassdoor@sunriseseniorliving.com so we can learn more. –The Sunrise Team

"Not Worth the Stress"

Former Employee - Life Enrichment Manager in Haverford, PA
    Former Employee - Life Enrichment Manager in Haverford, PA

I worked at Sunrise Senior Living full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you like working with the elderly and individuals with dementia, you'll enjoy working with the population of people that live at Sunrise communities. Benefits are ok; you get health insurance, dental, 401k, HSA, PTO, etc.

Cons

High turnover, high stress, and low pay. Constantly short-staffed and the staff who is there fights with one another over actually doing the work assigned to them. Health insurance is costly for a family and they do not offer any paid maternity leave. Management team plays favorites (including hiring family members) and cares more about getting paying bodies into the building than the care provided to them.

Advice to Management

The management teams needs to be retrained or clean house because every Sunrise I have been to has similar issues. Also, $12/hr doesn't cut it when you are trying to raise a family. More competitive pay will draw higher quality employees.

Sep 5, 2018

We’re sorry to hear that you did not have a positive experience at our community. Please email Glassdoor@sunriseseniorliving.com with further details so we may follow up. Thank you. - The Sunrise Team

Showing 1,056 of 1,073 reviews