Sunrise Senior Living Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Sunrise Senior Living CEO Chris Winkle
Chris Winkle

Pros
Cons
  • Literally every other day they were short staffed so I ended up doing care manager tasks (in 25 reviews)

• Too much gossiping within upper management (in 25 reviews)

1. "CNA"

Former Employee - CNA in Alpharetta, GA
    Former Employee - CNA in Alpharetta, GA

I worked at Sunrise Senior Living full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good residents and Scheduling. Was able to work another job.

Cons

Poor management and working short from the first day hired.

Advice to Management

Listen to employees when they complain.

"Horrible mangement"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at Sunrise Senior Living full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Residents are a treasure.

Cons

Poor management. Coordinators are cliquish and incompetent. Turnover is high because of poor hiring decisions and inadequate supervision. Work environment is hostile, every man for himself. ED is clueless and mostly absent.

Advice to Management

Clean house.

"Hostile work environment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Monterey, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Monterey, CA

I worked at Sunrise Senior Living full-time

Pros

Working with the families and clients

Cons

I witnessed harassment of staff by their superiors and was myself harassed by a co-worker

"Currently employed"

Current Employee - Medication Care Manager in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Medication Care Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Sunrise Senior Living full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I love the residents. I would leave in a heartbeat if it wasn't for these people. There is some team dynamic.

Cons

Low pay, manipulative management, no proper training, no support, clique environment, doing the job of multiple people by yourself because other people don't do their job, overworked and not appreciated.

Advice to Management

Get a clue. Evaluate your staff closely. The residents are unhappy for a reason. Hardworking staff leaves for a reason. The standards and principles in your mission statement are a joke because no one follows them. Reward the people who work hard and stop letting the slackers slide.

"Soon-To-Be Former employee"

Current Employee - Concierge in Upper Marlboro, MD
    Current Employee - Concierge in Upper Marlboro, MD

I have been working at Sunrise Senior Living full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

My current immediate supervisor is very friendly and professional. Some staff members are very friendly, the residents are lovely as well.

Cons

Overworked, underappreciated and constantly disrespected by a few staff members as well as management. Management constantly shows favoritism to those who kiss their bums.

Advice to Management

Mr. Winkle and Ms. Minor you really need new management at Sunrise of Arlington in Virginia.

"24/7 Job for 9-5 pay"

Current Employee - Coordinator in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Coordinator in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Sunrise Senior Living full-time

Pros

Interacting with my residents each day is the bright spot in my position. They make me smile and laugh, and also frustrate me, but they are a constant reminder of why I do what I do. Dedicated leadership team within my building is amazing. Lots of opportunity for learning and growing if you are willing to do what it takes.

Cons

Workload is obscene for the amount of time in any given day, and more stuff gets piled on all the time. 24-7 accountability is fine, but there is literally no time to yourself if you don't delegate to others at points. Corporate keeps adding more work without streamlining existing processes, so each new task puts your further behind. Care managers are paid poorly compared to industry standards but are given a bunch of free crap that makes them think they're entitled to everything around them. If you cared about what will make them happy, paying them a living wage is a good start. Corporate keeps reiterating that we are NOT a skilled setting, but will approve any move in that fills a bed including those that are skilled level of care. Putting this on caregivers who are unskilled is only detrimental to the residents. Corporate also likes to force policies down your throats regardless of whether they work for your building or not. And when they see them not in place during a visit they don't care what your reasoning is, they just want to see it their way.

Advice to Management

Pay your front-line caregivers more!!! It is a disgrace that we task our care managers with caring for the wellbeing of our residents while most of them are unable to care for their own families. Collecting welfare and living in shelters is an unacceptable way to expect your employees to live so they can give their all to our residents every day.

"Hectic"

Current Employee - Wellness Nurse in Cary, NC
    Current Employee - Wellness Nurse in Cary, NC

Pros

Very nice building, residents are very friendly, staff works well together and seem to all get along pretty well despite management communication issues.

Cons

Management does not communicate well, scheduled is very hectic, overtime is discouraged but seems to be expected, communication between doctors and pharmacy is lacking.

"There is a reason that they can't keep EDs"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

The philosophy of care is wonderful. Many team members work very hard to provide excellent care and do it in a way that a family would care for a loved one at home. There is a real commitment to a homelike environment. Front line team members are everyday heroes!

Cons

Reactionary senior leadership. Chicago market is a disaster and they cannot keep EDs. It's unclear why they cannot see the problem, but they seem unwilling to act on it. Regional and VP level leadership for this market lack the ability to develop a successful operational structure. Supporting relationships and positions have changed numerous times over the past couple of years and the reality is that there is almost no support to the communities. With a large presence in the market, there should be strong ties between EDs but there is almost none because they lack stability in leadership and are disconnected from the work that is done in communities day in and day out.

Advice to Management

If they want to "fix" Chicago and retain EDs, they need to make a change in the leadership that oversees the market. If they continue to allow leadership to continue the "throw it all against the wall and see what sticks" approach to operations, they'll never be the employer of choice for EDs in the market. Reactionary decisions and trying every random idea that pops into your head isn't leadership. It's desperation. And it's obvious.

"care manager"

Former Employee - Care Manager in Morris Plains, NJ
    Former Employee - Care Manager in Morris Plains, NJ

Pros

shift goes by really fast 6-2

Cons

managerment dosnt care about you. don't like approving vacation time. although u may have weeks of vacation time. they will only give u 1 week .. always short staff. u have to do everything u r basically a care giver a server a personal therapist activity assistant dish washer and the list goes on

Advice to Management

pay should be more.

11. "Care manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA

I worked at Sunrise Senior Living (Less than a year)

Pros

Co-workers and residents were awesome

Cons

Management had to many favorites

Advice to Management

Notice the people that work hard encourage team work a not have favorites