Sunrise Senior Living Reviews | Glassdoor

Sunrise Senior Living CEO Chris Winkle
Chris Winkle

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Short staffed often due to numerous call offs (in 29 reviews)

• Management is hit or miss- opportunities for advancement are not as available as upper management say they are (in 27 reviews)

1. "Sunrise of Louisville"

I worked at Sunrise Senior Living full-time

Pros

Residents were kind, hours weren't bad. Pay was good.

Cons

Management was awful. There was a lot of drama between employees.

Advice to Management

Take control, listen to your employees.

2. "Sunrise review"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Sunrise Senior Living full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Front line and some community management go above and beyond on a daily basis.
    Each building becomes a family with residents, family members, and other coworkers.

Cons

Some community management does not care about resident preferences or needs. Sales first focus.
    Community management leaders have obvious favorites.
    Lots of talk of team work but very little action.

Advice to Management

Recognize team members for their hard work. Pitch in once in awhile to gain respect from residents, their families, and team members.
    Do not lie to prospective residents to get sales.

"Maintenance Coordinator"

I have been working at Sunrise Senior Living full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great line staff coworkers and the best residents...!

Cons

You will feel small and controlled. Senior management and regional staff are the experts and you will be told how and when to do your job. Working outside the lines is strictly forbidden. Money is extremely tight. When push comes to shove no one will have your back and they will hang you out to dry.

Advice to Management

Stop dumping more work on the Maintenance Coordinator. They are already overloaded. The regional support staff should start acting like support rather than the big shots... We could use the help.
    The budget cuts are hurting the existing residents. If we need essentials like toilet paper and such please give the authority to increase the budget for the month.

"Receptionist"

Current Employee - Front Desk Receptionist in Montgomery Village, MD
    Current Employee - Front Desk Receptionist in Montgomery Village, MD

I have been working at Sunrise Senior Living full-time

Pros

The residents are very friendly

Cons

The management is horrible

Advice to Management

Work as a team!

"Not a place to develop"

I have been working at Sunrise Senior Living full-time

Pros

Beautiful setting, dedicated frontline team, amazing residents who can age in place

Cons

Lack of corporate integrity, poor pay, lack of HR and regional support, terrible benefits

Advice to Management

Take the time to listen to your team members and department heads, sit with them, be open to their concerns, practice what you teach regarding validation techniques with your staff AND residents. Your team members are your most valuable asset and know better than anyone what is working and where there is an opportunity. Humble yourself. Be flexible. Listen.

"Assisted Living Coordinator"

Former Employee - Assisted Living Coordinator in Seal Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Assisted Living Coordinator in Seal Beach, CA

I worked at Sunrise Senior Living full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent benefits
    Great coworkers
    Good values -unfortunately the regionals do not live up to them.
    Great training on dementia
    Interesting model of service - efficient in someways & ineffective in others

Cons

Over worked.

Using euphemisms does not equate to the company living up to the standard they sell. Care givers are expected to assist resident with every solitary aspect of life - yet they are responsible for multiple residents receiving care. For example, if you have 4 care givers on the floor, and four residents that need to use the restroom during dinner -guess who doesn't get their dinner in time? The other 56 residents in the dining room because care givers are responsible for serving. Department heads are required to jump on the floor when we're short - which is great for emergencies- but with how slow the hiring process is- I was on the floor for a month & working 16 hours a day just to maintain the administrative & daily requirements of my job as well. My health easily went out the window.
    The training requirements make hiring a logistical nightmare - one month to hire a care giver doesn't make sense when they only give a two week notice.

Regionals are quick to reprimand without listening to or addressing the daily community-level challenges. I only spoke with my regional once and then she had her visit and asked me for documentation on a item I wasn't even aware was my responsibility. I'm a very hard worker, and if I know the expectations & my responsibility is clear to me, I go over and beyond to ensure I am fulfilling my duties. Unfortunately, I was embarrassed and upset when I was asked for something that I wasn't even aware of. She made it very clear that she I should have known it was my responsibility. Where was my training on that? Why wasn't it clear to me that she expected that of me? Every other regional I've ever worked with has taken a day or two out to ensure that I am trained properly. Feeling unsupported by higher level management is one of the many reasons I left.

I was very excited to join Sunrise after researching & going through the initial orientation where they discussed the Sunrise way & expressed how connected they were to their original values. Unfortunately, the company did not live up to the reputation they sold and I was extremely disheartened and disappointed.

Advice to Management

Practice what you preach

"Caregiver-Assisted living and memory care"

Former Employee - Caregiver in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Caregiver in Plano, TX

I worked at Sunrise Senior Living full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I worked at Sunrise Senior Living Full-time ( one year).Good food; sweet Residents & families

Cons

Heavy work load.Staffing problems consistently Residents are GREAT. The managers did not care about their employees.the pay is low and they don't work as a team.(. $9 per hr ). They need more employees to complete tasks as well as they were never happy with the job done.Can be stressful at times. No teamwork between shifts.I loved working with and helping all the clients. he most enjoyable part of my job is interacting with the residents. I love my residents. They bring me Joy! When my daily tasks are complete, I enjoy spending time attending to them and making them feel important!Heavy Work responsibilities are difficult to atain with quality, short staffing consistently.

Advice to Management

Due to poor management and communication is the reason I left. If I had a chance to do it all over again with a different management staff I would definately return. Management needs to be better, need more staff. Really short staff so that makes days longer and are not able to get stuff done that need to be done such as showers

"Lpn"

I worked at Sunrise Senior Living full-time

Pros

My patients, my lovely coworkers.

Cons

New don every 6 months, like youre starting a new job everytime. New executive director also every 6 mo. Management high turn over. Jobs are not secure. Too much drama and every nursing job is but this place was pretty terrible. Benefits ok. Short on cnas a lot. Not a lot of compassion

Advice to Management

Advice to corporate... stop firing management.

"Caretaker"

I worked at Sunrise Senior Living full-time

Pros

This job challenged me and made me a better person. My residents brought so much happiness to my life.

Cons

Low pay and Bad management

"Sales"

Former Employee - Director of Sales in Stamford, CT
    Former Employee - Director of Sales in Stamford, CT

I worked at Sunrise Senior Living full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Commission and they pay time and a half for overtime.

Cons

Micromanagement that comes from the top. They report you to death, bury you in paperwork all the while having high expectations for sales that the salesperson wishes they could just concentrate on...rather than constantly reporting your every move to corporate. Also, upper management will not take your side if you run into a brick wall with your immediate manager. The MO must be for management to band together unless they are looking to get rid of that manager. The only way to survive at this company is to have a great ED who excuses you of some of the paperwork that the sales rep knows is unnecessary (like writing up a description on every tour and handing it out to every team member before a tour) and buffers you from the unrealistic expectations of upper management.

Advice to Management

People are afraid to speak up in fear of losing their jobs. The ones brave enough were fired shortly after the complaint which makes the staff insecure...and in the end the residents suffer.