Sunrise Senior Living Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Great Company"

Former Employee - Server/Host in Silver Spring, MD
    Former Employee - Server/Host in Silver Spring, MD

I worked at Sunrise Senior Living part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun working environment
    Flexible
    Laid back atmosphere

Cons

Low pay
    Not enough employees
    Have to be at work regardless of the weather conditions

Advice to Management

Hire more people, we were short a lot of the time.

"Executive Director"

Current Employee - Executive Director in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Executive Director in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Sunrise Senior Living full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great staff and residents. One of the best companies I have had the pleasure to work for. Staff longevity in all departments.

Cons

Nothing. I think it's a well rounded company. Very positive place to work. We will continue to strive for excellence in all that we do.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing. Great company to work for

"Horrible mangement"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at Sunrise Senior Living full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Residents are a treasure.

Cons

Poor management. Coordinators are cliquish and incompetent. Turnover is high because of poor hiring decisions and inadequate supervision. Work environment is hostile, every man for himself. ED is clueless and mostly absent.

Advice to Management

Clean house.

"Interesting community to work"

Current Employee - Care Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Care Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Sunrise Senior Living full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Residence are what keeps this place alive and worth coming to on a daily base. When your heart is in the job all family members can tell. Your respected and thanked for all hard work everything you do for the residence never go unnoticed

Cons

Coordinators need to be retrained. Favoritism associates with horrible attitudes. The job isn't about money although they need to raise pay for all the hard work being out in by all employees

Advice to Management

Fire and rehire all new staff clean sweep

"Save your money if you love your family member"

Former Employee - Care Manager in Dresher, PA
    Former Employee - Care Manager in Dresher, PA

I worked at Sunrise Senior Living part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The residents are amazing and you appreciate life more.

Cons

Management hires ghetto people who will fill up census ratio to residents
    It's a horrible place to work with lazy co workers

Advice to Management

Stop hiring from the hood and hire people who are ethical

I saw residents being forced
    I saw med techs drop pills and still give to the resident
    So many residents fall due to workers lack of common sense

"Could be a great place"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

I have been working at Sunrise Senior Living full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The Residents and their families.

Cons

Management, Uninformed and non caring Coordinator's, Lack of Team work

Advice to Management

Fix what's wrong

"Concierge job"

Former Employee - Concierge in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Concierge in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Sunrise Senior Living full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The checks were automated so salary was paid on a regular basis.

Cons

Abussive residents, condescending supervisors, insufficent training, unrealistic job expectations

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with dignity and provide them with a level of training that enables them to meet your expectations.

"What A Joke"

Former Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse Med Care Manager in Dresher, PA
    Former Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse Med Care Manager in Dresher, PA

I worked at Sunrise Senior Living full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Residents and families. Occasionally there was a good coworker here and there. I wish I could say more but that was all there really was.

Cons

Understaffed, favoritism, irresponsible management, reckless employees, underpaid, under appreciated, over worked, no breaks, no team dynamics, cover ups on resident injuries, nurses that don't give meds, mice, roaches, violations of HIPAA, staff that laid around on their phones, and no one is accountable for their actions.

Advice to Management

You talk about being a family and preserving resident dignity. Get a clue. Investigate your facilities. There are some serious violations taking place that should shut down your facilities. I quit for fear of losing my nursing license and I wasn't the first to quit for this reason either. I pray for the residents I left behind, but mentally I couldn't tolerate working in a facility that treated its residents so poorly when they pay so much to live there. Especially when some nurses were so irresponsible about giving medications and instead of management fixing the problem they turned a blind eye. That's disgusting and pitiful.

"I am extremely dissatisfied regarding how Sunrise treats their employees."

Current Employee - Care Manager in Dix Hills, NY
    Current Employee - Care Manager in Dix Hills, NY

I have been working at Sunrise Senior Living part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours (because no one wants to work at Sunrise, because they pay you like a McDonald's manager to take care of 8 people!)

Good for a beginner CNA's in the medical field that want to get their foot in the door, build a resume or experience.

Cons

Too many residents that are basically total care of have excessive needs. That use mechanical lifts or stand up lifts. Some can't move at all and must be changed and washed in bed. 8 residents are typically on one assignment, mine is particularly heavy with no independent residents.

You have to do your residents laundry, which is time consuming and takes time away from caring for your residents. Sometimes you will have to do multiple residents laundry in one 8 hour shift.

Sunrise only cares about money and pays their employees like crap. $12.00 an hour is not what I went to trade school for. I can barely pay for college and my car with this job!They pay way below median for New York State pay for CNA's. This is not assisted living anymore, this is more like a nursing home. That's how they get away with paying us crap with having "an assisted living home" license. What a joke! And they don't want to pay us for the amount of work we do breaking our backs! They admit people that can't move at all or do anything for themselves except feed themselves and need to be dressed and washed in bed, not even on hospice! Some are complete dead weight and mess up your backs badly. All they care about is a expensive care plan, that's going in their pockets and not ours.

Sunrise saves a lot of money by not hiring dining room staff and putting care managers to work in the dining room. Again, this takes a lot of time out from caring for residents and you will be running around work like a headless chicken when all your residents start ringing.

Highly unrecommended for a permanent job. Most people I see working at Sunrise for 12 or more years end up with health problems and back pain, it is hard to watch them go through that since they do not pay much and they have to work to keep up with supporting their families. Most of the people I work with are single mothers or trying to build a new life here in America and struggling. It's very sad.

Advice to Management

I been working here for a year and a half and never been so dissatisfied with a company and how badly they treat their employees.

Pay your employees what they deserve! As an employee, I feel unappreciated and will be sending an anonymous letter or complaint to headquarters, as well as a state representative if nothing gets resolved. I want to make a difference for everyone who provides care, to get the pay they deserve. We do a lot of work and we should feel appreciated. How you pay your employees does not correlate with the core values of your company. It does not just apply to the residents! Pay accordingly as per each state. New York is a very expensive state to live in along with the high taxes we have to pay. (Long Island is very expensive)

Hire separate dining room staff. The host/hostesses and dishwasher do not do enough work. They should wash and fold the napkins, placemats and tablecloths, not us!

Housekeeping should do the laundry, that's what they should be paid for.

Realize that we are way overworked. Treat us like human beings and not like a source of income or capital for your company.

"Hostile work environment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Monterey, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Monterey, CA

I worked at Sunrise Senior Living full-time

Pros

Working with the families and clients

Cons

I witnessed harassment of staff by their superiors and was myself harassed by a co-worker