Sunrise Senior Living Reviews in Santa Monica, CA | Glassdoor

Sunrise Senior Living CEO Chris Winkle
Chris Winkle

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Rapid employee turnover, often short staffed (in 28 reviews)

• Management is hit or miss- opportunities for advancement are not as available as upper management say they are (in 27 reviews)

"This is a for profit business which blurs their priorities."

Former Employee - Reminiscence Coordinator in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Reminiscence Coordinator in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Sunrise Senior Living full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

At the time, I worked under an extremely reasonable and kind Executive Director who was supportive but did not have clout to change the parts of the job I found insurmountable.

Cons

Corporate determined everything. I took a huge cut in salary and would not make more in that position. I had no desire to be an ED or get into a Corporate position. My clinical skills were lost there.

Advice to Management

Listen to and treat your staff better. They are working very hard for your clientele and are underappreciated and under paid.

"Former Employee - Santa Monica"

Former Employee - Care Giver in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Care Giver in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Sunrise Senior Living part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Interacting and taking care of seniors, if that is your calling.

Cons

Employees (dining staff, caregivers including the "managers") were very mean and rude to the residents. You can identify only a handful who were caring and sincere. These mean staff were so fake that they will only be pleasant and attentive to the residents when the family members were there.

Advice to Management

Be mindful of your people's performance. Good and hardworking staff should be rewarded and
    get rid of the non-performers. Do not and never hire discourteous people, these people belong somewhere else!

"Learning from those who have nothing else to learn."

Former Employee - Volunteer in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Volunteer in Santa Monica, CA

Pros

You get to socialize with the people who have seen world changing events first hand, and learn so much from each one of them. The other staff members are extremely kind, and very social. I learned something everyday that I volunteered there and am very happy that I did. Looking back, I miss the people I met and conversed with, they were all so happy and care-free. It shows you the happier side of the community.

Cons

I volunteered, so I was not paid, and that was the only reason I left. If I would have been paid an hourly wage, I would have definitely stayed.

Advice to Management

Thanks for your kindness, I learned a lot with you.