Sunrise Senior Living "short staffed" Reviews | Glassdoor

Sunrise Senior Living Employee Reviews about "short staffed"

Updated Jan 6, 2020

3.1
Sunrise Senior Living CEO Chris Winkle
Chris Winkle
Pros
  • "It's a very good working environment and have excellent team members(in 45 reviews)

• "Strong culture and work environment(in 40 reviews)

Cons
  • "Coordinators think your job is your life like you have to work overtime whether you want to or not(in 60 reviews)

• "Hours are based on how much care is needed and that often leaves us short staffed(in 41 reviews)

Reviews about "short staffed"

Return to all Reviews

"Spot Bonuses"

Current Employee - Care Manager in Holladay, UT

I have been working at Sunrise Senior Living full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

$50 spot bonus to cover a full shift, not that bad.

Cons

Short Staffed for weekend shifts

Advice to Management

Retention bonus is a must, or shift differentials.

Sunrise Senior Living2018-11-20
  2. "Fulfilling"

Current Employee - Care Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Sunrise Senior Living part-time for more than a year

Pros

Working with the residents, they become a family to you somehow. The staff are really nice, and our reminiscence coordinator supports the care managers.

Cons

The load gets heavy and sometimes we are short-staffed, and you go beyond what you are paid for

Sunrise Senior Living2020-01-03
  3. "Horrible place to work!"

Current Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse

I have been working at Sunrise Senior Living full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

You usually like some of the staff you work with.

Cons

Nurses are not allowed to call out sick or for emergencies, but must find your own coverage which is impossible to find most of the time. I went to work with the flu, pneumonia, and a sprained ankle on different occasions because I wasnt able to find coverage and your supervisor will not help you even if you tell them you have a high fever which I did. They told me to miss family funerals to work because I couldn't find coverage and my supervisor only response is it's not a good time and maybe in a couple of weeks they could let me take off one day for a funeral. You are constantly short staffed without enough supplies to do your job with more work added without extra pay or benefits. Management dont care about anyone. I was allowed to call in sick once to take my young son to the hospital but told me if he still in the hospital then next day I must come in regardless. And the entire time I spent in the ER with him I was calling every nurse to find coverage for that shift they let call out sick for instead of letting me care for him. He was 2 years old with special needs and fever of over 105 F. They even told me told me I need to find my own coverage when I was pregnant if I went into labor on a workday. I know of another nurse who tried to call out sick while on her way to the hospital because she broke her hand and was told no she couldnt call out and must go to the hospital after she completed her shift. This policy is only in effect for nurses. All other positions are allowed to call out sick with little notice. There is so much more things besides this but this is definitely one of my biggest pet peeves.

Advice to Management

Change your policies and hire agency per diem nurses if you can not find coverage.

Sunrise Senior Living2020-01-07
  4. "limited hours and okay pay"

Current Employee - Life Enrichment Manager in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Sunrise Senior Living full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

They give you a lot of training and continuing education.

Cons

Hours are based on how much care is needed and that often leaves us short staffed.

Advice to Management

actually implement the companies policies because they are great policies

Sunrise Senior Living2019-04-11
  5. "Overall good. But upper management is horrible"

I worked at Sunrise Senior Living

Pros

Most of the workers love their job so their willing to help.

Cons

Always short staffed. The sunrise I worked at (Wheaton IL) would over work you. You’d work overnights 5 mins before it’s time to go they want you to stay. I worked over a year on a unit alone because of “budgets”. They never hired anybody to help me on the floor with 15 plus residents with dementia. Upper management doesn’t care when you have personal problems going on. And my vacation request always got denied or I had to find my own coverage but others got to go to Vegas etc. they treat the overnight workers like crap. Provide Christmas gifts and food to all shifts but nights. I can go on and on.

Advice to Management

Put yourself in the workers shoes. Especially overnight team. They are the most worked and least appreciated. Oh and maybe things would be better if the company hired coordinators whom know the job. In the time I worked their, Ive had 3 coordinations and only 1 was any good. The current coordinator has the activity supervisor doing the schedules. The coordinator cuts hours for no real reason or over schedules you or ever changes your days and doesn’t say anything most of the team has set schedules. Also I was sexually harassed in sunrise senior living they fired the harasser but never changed the builds lock codes. So unprofessional

Sunrise Senior Living2019-01-17

"Not Worth the Stress"

Former Employee - Life Enrichment Manager in Haverford, PA

I worked at Sunrise Senior Living full-time for more than a year

Pros

If you like working with the elderly and individuals with dementia, you'll enjoy working with the population of people that live at Sunrise communities. Benefits are ok; you get health insurance, dental, 401k, HSA, PTO, etc.

Cons

High turnover, high stress, and low pay. Constantly short-staffed and the staff who is there fights with one another over actually doing the work assigned to them. Health insurance is costly for a family and they do not offer any paid maternity leave. Management team plays favorites (including hiring family members) and cares more about getting paying bodies into the building than the care provided to them.

Advice to Management

The management teams needs to be retrained or clean house because every Sunrise I have been to has similar issues. Also, $12/hr doesn't cut it when you are trying to raise a family. More competitive pay will draw higher quality employees.

Sunrise Senior Living2018-09-01
  7. "REM Care Manager"

Current Employee - Care Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Sunrise Senior Living part-time for more than a year

Pros

Hours, management, flexibility, staff, facility

Cons

Pay, Scheduling, training, computer charting, short staffed

Advice to Management

Making sure the employees are happy by asking them to fill out survey questions, following up with the survey questions, making sure to come up to the floor and observe as well as asking how things are going.

Sunrise Senior Living2018-08-07

"Unfortunately very few positives"

Former Employee - Care Manager

I worked at Sunrise Senior Living full-time for more than a year

Pros

The residents were the reason to keep coming back

Cons

The care managers are not required to be certified as nursing assistants but the population included MANY seniors with skilled facility needs. I found it unethical to have uncertified staff caring for total care residents. Staff are required to do the jobs of three people and get paid pittance. The communities seem to prioritize workers from other nations as they traditionally have been willing to accept less pay and work hard. This is unfair to the residents whom are often hard of hearing, can’t understand a heavy accent, and are cared for by people who don’t understand the cultural values of the seniors because the care managers are from a different culture. The pay is embarrassingly low. Hours are also micromanaged to ensure no overtime is possible. They are constantly short staffed- which is dangerous for worker’s health and patient protection. People who work there seem unhappy. It is a stark contrast to the vibrant surrounding of each community. There were so many unethical things that happened that I left because I was so grieved for the seniors. They would also promote the “second paycheck” of feeling good about the work being done. Eye roll! That statement is so out of touch with the needs of workers today and the cost of living in most areas...

Advice to Management

The decision makers who may read this post will more than likely do nothing. They have very little incentive to change. So long as Sunrise is a publicly traded company they care more about the bottom line than an anonymous and very truthful review. I had worked in many skilled facilities prior to Sunrise but it was my tenure there that helped me decide never to place my family in a facility under any circumstances. Looks are very deceiving. The facilities are beautiful but the care is terrible. It’s tough to write and hard to read. If upper management truly cares about Terry and Paul’s mission, they have more than enough evidence already to make demonstrable changes for the workers and the seniors who are vulnerable...

Sunrise Senior Living2018-06-11

"Care manager"

Current Employee - Care Manager in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Sunrise Senior Living full-time for less than a year

Pros

this location is close to public transportation

Cons

always short staffed, working as a server and cleaning the dinning room is not what i expected upon accepting this job

Advice to Management

hire on call staff to help with no shows or call offs. a facility like this should never be understaffed

Sunrise Senior Living2018-05-14

"The management caused me to quit!"

Former Employee - Lead Care Manager

I worked at Sunrise Senior Living full-time for less than a year

Pros

I worked in memory care & I stayed as long as I did for my residents! They deserve better care for the amount they pay each month. The staff that I worked with on a daily basis made the job do-able.

Cons

There is NO support from management! Its all numbers and not peoples lives here! Way too much gossip & drama for the work place and most trickles down from upper management. Consistently short staffed & they burnt their staff out by double shifts & crazy overtime. Many people they've hired have little to no experience or idea of what they are doing!

Advice to Management

Listen to your staff...they are the ones on the front line taking care of your residents...if they are happy everyone is happy! Pay your staff better & you'll have more qualified applicants!

Sunrise Senior Living2017-12-28