Sunrun Project Coordinator Reviews | Glassdoor

Project Coordinator

2.5
Lynn Jurich

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great people and working atmosphere" (in 21 reviews)

• "great environment, a lot of hours, great benefits" (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work life balance is a challenge" (in 18 reviews)

• "Many in upper management were retained from REC days and they are archaic" (in 13 reviews)

1. "Great Company with great management."

Current Employee - Project Coordinator in Alameda, CA
    Current Employee - Project Coordinator in Alameda, CA

I have been working at Sunrun full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Awesome benefits and resources to help you succeed

Cons

No cons as of yet

Advice to Management

_

"Worst Job I've Had, Worst Company I've Ever Worked For"

I have been working at Sunrun full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are none to report.

Cons

By far the most disorganized corporation I have ever been a part of. This company pretends to have a forward-thinking, google-esque culture, however it is completely ruined by management's lack of talent and competence. Mindless, ignorant change does not make you progressive like google. Management in the Denver office throws random, dim-witted ideas at lower level employees and then asks them to work out the numerous kinks. Programs are rolled out with no warning or explanation and only a fraction of the organization will actually adhere to the new program. You will also be asked to lean on and trust other teams that have had literally no training and don't even know how to do their jobs. The overused talking point to this is that employees should just band together as if they are weathering some sort of highly dysfunctional storm. On top of all this, employees will be blamed when poor customer reviews come in. Sunrun's values talk about being "human-centered" and having "integrity", however Sunrun does nothing to actually represent these values. The fact of the matter is the Director and PMs of Sunrun are searching for a reason why customer and employee reviews are sinking, when they simply just need to look at themselves. Bottom line, this company is garbage. It is a huge waste of time working here. Do yourself a favor and find a company that will actually listen and not just expect you to shut up and work. Also, the pay is terrible.

Advice to Management

Supervisors here are often yes men. Their job is mostly complaining about how busy they are and then spending 38 hours a week talking in circles with Branch and Sales personnel (who are not held accountable for anything). Their version of escalating an issue is saying "can you please try your darndest to not do that anymore, please" and then apologizing a bunch of times for bringing it up. This is not how you bring about positive change. This company needs real project managers and real leaders. If you are liked and spineless, you will do fine here. What a great way to create a toxic environment.

"Apply Elsewhere!!!"

Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Denver, CO

I worked at Sunrun full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The job of Project Coordinator is very easy. The people on my team were great and very supportive. Liked the team at the solar branch I worked with a lot.

Cons

I took the role of Project Coordinator even at low pay because I wanted greater exposure to the field of project management and I wanted to work in a field to help the environment. This job IS NOT THAT. It's basically a glorified customer service role where you do admin assistant type work and have to deal with overpaid sales reps and needy customers who regularly get angry because what was sold to them isn't being delivered. I didn't feel like I was learning and growing at all in this role. This took me a step backward in my career. Management is a joke. My manager had serious time management issues and was good at talking and nothing else. You have to read off of a script 100% of the time with customers which is so boring and annoying. The benefits are also poor with little vacation, and poor insurance plans. I left this company months ago and am still paying medical bills from basic services b/c insurance wouldn't cover it. When the company DOES give you a day off, management requires all PCs to work overtime to make up for it. So why give people days off in the first place? Raises are minimal and are only based on tenure, not how well you're doing in the role. What's the point of QAing everything if you're not taking that into account when giving people raises. Turnover is super high and the values aren't taken into consideration. One of the values is being "human centered" but that's ONLY taken into account for customers, not their actual employees. You would get dinged if you took an unexpected sick day.

Advice to Management

Give people more freedom in the PC role. More vacation. More room to grow and better raises. And change the title from Project Coordinator to something else because it's a very misleading title.

"Project Coordinator"

Current Employee - Project Coordinator in Denver, CO

I have been working at Sunrun full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly Co-workers, eco pass provided

Cons

Work-life balance is non existent.
    I accepted the PC role despite the extremely low pay, because I wanted to apply my energy to a company making a difference. Unfortunately I was quick to learn this is like any other corporate giant that underpays and undervalues its employees, and the CEO is celebrated on the Forbes 40 under 40 list. While the work is extremely easy and repetitive, a combination of an enormous workload (150-200 projects at a time), the sales teams running rampant, the expectation for PC's to field inbound calls for customers outside their own project load, and the companies consistent demand for overtime makes the job unreasonable. Paid time off is extremely limited and when requested, management pressures you to work overtime instead of taking time off. After making numerous attempts to suggest process and quality improvements, I have given up after receiving no replies at all. There is not a Project Manager role, so all PM duties fall on the PC, along with all other process gaps that the company refuses to acknowledge. While the company claims to be customer and "human" focused, it is clear through managements tunnel vision communication that customer service is only a pain they have to deal with, and the customer is just a kilowatt of energy they can profit off. There is no quality control or accountability for the sales teams, so PC work largely consists of cleaning up the mess created by the negligent sales teams.

Advice to Management

Value your employees and pay a reasonable wage.
    Create Process and quality standards for sales teams and hold accountable.
    Hire Project Managers.
    Provide work-life balance by providing more PTO and demanding less overtime.

"Contractor - Project Coordinator"

Former Contractor - Project Coordinator in Denver, CO
    Former Contractor - Project Coordinator in Denver, CO

I worked at Sunrun as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Office location. Break room perks.

Cons

Terrible communication. There were not any standards set nor did upper management really have a plan on how to handle the temporary projects. Transparency is key to good communication and management lacked that. The contractors had no idea about what goals we needed to achieve or performance.

Advice to Management

Treat your temps better! Make them feel apart of the team. Give them REAL cubicles , don't put them on tables in the middle of the hallway next to the break room & expect them to feel comfortable while everyone is walking by them while they work. Communicate better and establish standards. Talk about what goals need to be achieved.

"Fun company going through growing pains"

I have been working at Sunrun full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fast growing company with noticeable effort being made to provide excellent employee experience.

Cons

Constantly changing policies and projects.

Advice to Management

Listen to the advice of the people doing the work, rather than hiring a suit to determine direction.

7. "Good for experience"

Current Employee - Senior Project Coordinator in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Project Coordinator in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Sunrun full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working with great talented individuals. Work life balance.

Cons

Budgeting, with attrition, every quarter to report earnings.

Advice to Management

Good luck.

"Good jumping off point, Company still has room to improve."

I have been working at Sunrun full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's a great place to start if your coming out of school and need an "in" into the office environment. You'll also have a sense of satisfaction knowing you're helping build up renewable energy infrastructure.

They are trying to improve on most of the things pointed out in the "con" section and they are good at listening to feedback. They have been publicly traded for about 2 years and are still getting used to having to please stockholders while maintain company morale. I have faith that they'll figure everything out.

Cons

Management is completely disconnected from the job and duties therein. No one on the supervisory level (even the people in charge of training and process development) has done the job themselves, therefore they are clueless when you come to them with questions and will often just guess. You'll learn to rely on your team members for resolving issues. To boot it they are CONSTANTLY changing ("improving") processes which results in mass amounts of confusion.

Working hard and covering your duties MIGHT get you a pay raise but it won't get you promotion. The highest paid person in my department (and first in line for a promotion) spends a better part of the day fooling around playing games while the people who really drive results and crush their job are turned down for promotions on a regular basis. Think Office Space.

Not much time to live your life outside of work. OT is expected and they regularly ask employees to come in on Saturday (although you can just say "no"). No work from home options.

Advice to Management

Management, you need to get your hands dirty. Take projects and join your people on the front lines. This will result in a better understanding of the daily life of the people your managing as well as giving you fodder for developing better processes, and will help get rid of that "holier than thou" vibe that management has.

"Poor leadership"

I have been working at Sunrun full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company pays for public transportation. Most of the people working in the lower ranks are awesome.

Cons

Very poor leadership. No 401k. Constantly changing procedures. Disconnection between departments. Lack of accountability for sales.

Advice to Management

Recruit more talented leadership.

"Project Coordinator"

Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Denver, CO

I worked at Sunrun full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very solid co-workers. The people in the trenches have a passion for Green technology.

Cons

Unfortunately, Sunrun does not properly utilize their employee's passion for building a greener and better world. Sunrun misses the mark by underpaying their dedicated employees, making them work even when a person is sick, recording, grading, and micromanaging every incoming and outgoing call, recording and grading every task completed in SalesForce, and every email sent and received in Gmail.
    As mentioned, every employee phone call is recorded and dinged if certain keywords and phrases are not included in conversations with customers. The way it is set up, it is not conducive to having in-depth discovery conversation with customers or partners. And Sunrun does not measure or recognize many of the other requirements needed to actually perform one's job to move projects along. So a project coordinator can be working very hard, but many times it will not be recognized by management because these "other" areas are not recognized and measured.
    The project management group has become a call center. If a person enjoys working in a call center, then this may be a good job for that person. If you expect more in your life, then you will be very disappointed working at the Denver location. The turnover at the Denver branch is very, very high. They churn and burn through project coordinators and design engineers. The overall atmosphere is fairly negative and corrosive because Sunrun uses fear and intimidation to extract what they believe is performance.
    I believe the Sunrun mantra and goal of "To Create a Planet Run by the Sun" is being missed due to severe internal shortcomings with the management style.

Advice to Management

Build an atmosphere of that values creativity. Sunrun has some very passionate, educated, and experienced employees. Treat them with respect and not like they are lemmings or robots.